Hi guys,

Getting pretty bored of the 5s and starting hankering about a return to Blackberry. I used to be a Blackberry die-hard since the days of the Pearl 8100 up until the 9900, and subsequently lost complete interest when the Z10 was released. I was so disappointed after 18 months of hype. Of course I got one; but poor battery, less than visually pleasing OS, continuing lack of apps etc - I just lost interest.

Anyhow, I am now cheesed off with charging my 5s everyday, which got me thinking - perhaps I should look at BB again to see if they have any phones with decent battery life. By all accounts, after reading the Z30 forum, this might................might, be the phone for me. This potential choice doesn't come without concerns - this is why I would like some advice on some apps that I must have if I am going to make the jump.

I am aware, although not up-to-speed about side-loading android apps onto the Z30. How successful is this? does it work as you would expect, i,e flawlessly as if it was on an android device? or does side-loaded apps tend to be glitchy?

The apps I absolutely need are... Barclays banking, Pay Pal, Geocaching, Yell, Safe note, ISS spotter, Dropbox and dictionary.

Does the z30 come with more than a few text and alert tones like the z10 pitifully had?

Is the antennae reception as good as I read about on here?

Is the camera half decent?

Last but not least - battery life. I'm not a heavy user by any means. In fact, I'm quite a light user. Would I be likely to get a few days use on a single charge?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Vegas.

PS: Please ignore my signature - it's old. I haven't posted on here for a long time.
    Last edited by vegas33139; 07-30-14 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Por garammer
    07-30-14 06:26 AM
    Installing Android apps is pretty simple and straightforward. Most (not all) run smoothly. The largest issues are those which require google services to run. Snap is the best way to get android apps, it requires you to sideload it but then it basically gives you Google Play. There's a tutorial kicking around here somewhere, sorry I don't have the time to look for it just right now. If you're too shy for Snap then you can directly install the Amazon App store which gives you access to some but there's less messing around.

Battery life is killer. No issues going all day with the device and not charging until bedtime and sometimes I don't even bother. I absolutely destroys my wife's 5s.

The camera is good. I'm not a picture junkie but it does the job I need it to do.

Reception - can't really comment on. I'm good wherever I go.

Alerts - Yeah there's only a few but I'm sure you can download more if you really wanted to.

I love the device, I had the Z10 as well but this one is far superior. Hopefully you come back because I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 06:45 AM
    Cheers scmcc,

A lot of useful info there.
    scmcc16 likes this.
    07-30-14 06:58 AM
    Agree with scmcc16 and I get terrific use of my FM radio while running, Miracast to flash you tube videos up on my big screen and I also use the HDMI port ( Z10 also has this) to stream movies or video games for the whole family to see and participate in. Especially helpful while travelling. I also get terrific use from a 64 GB SD card to bring my favorite movies and pictures and music wherever I go. I also downloaded Fast Tube to be able to cache my son's favorite you tube videos especially handy for offline use and no need to use data over and over again for the same thing.

I don't use your apps but I have plenty of Android apps and they work great. My fitness pal, Netflix, NFL mobile, alarm.com, scrabble, etc..

I regularly get over 24 hours battery life and I can count on one hand the number of times since February that after unplugging at 6 a.m. I've been below 20% by midnight. It's really that good. For fun a purchased a $1.50 USB on the go accessory and can now charge my wife's phone when hers almost dies ( she has a 4S) directly from my Z30.

Love it!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BBZ10wannabe; 08-05-14 at 09:54 AM.
    07-30-14 07:04 AM
    Cheers guys - keep em coming!!
    07-30-14 07:07 AM
    The Z30 is capable of doing all that you need it to do. Side loading apps isn't as hard as you may think, so once you get snap on it you'll have the Android app store available to you. Reception has not been a problem for me, and you'll be hard pressed to find a way to kill the battery in less than a days work!

Posted via CB10
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 07:07 AM
    Once again. Thanks guys. I'm nearly convinced. I will probably sell my iPhone 5S and more or less have enough to buy the Z30 outright.

After looking on-line earlier, the problem It seems I am going to have, is finding someone who stocks the bloody thing!!!! Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U don't stock anything from Blackberry any more!! Obviously it has to be sim-free (I think you guys call that 'off-contract')

Amazon seems like it might be my best bet, unless someone on here knows otherwise.
    07-30-14 07:19 AM
    Oh and I forgot to mention ever since I enabled the "image stabilization " feature my pictures turn out much, much better. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out.

Posted via CB10
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 07:20 AM
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I can't find anyone who's stocking it. Why?
    Last edited by vegas33139; 07-30-14 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelt the full-stop wrong!!!
    07-30-14 07:28 AM
    Try shopblackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 07:40 AM
    I have done the deed. Ordered from Amazon.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim back!!
    07-30-14 07:52 AM
    I was up at the cottage last week and there were 2 iPhone 5 and 2 iPhone 5s, and my Z30. I had almost full bars on HSPA+, it would go down to 1-2 in some little zones but still worked, meanwhile all the iPhones struggled to get any Edge coverage... I was constantly asked to check the weather, loop up this, check that.. haha and my battery would last all day, but everyone else had to charge their iPhone throughout the day.
    07-30-14 07:58 AM
    Convinced too. I'll order it now, I'm bored of iphone. I'm even writing this whilst charging it (3:17pm local time). Apple sells expensive mobile garbage. Need a device which lasts longer.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    vegas33139 and twirlyboy like this.
    07-30-14 08:17 AM
    Hi guys,

Getting pretty bored of the 5s and starting hankering about a return to Blackberry. I used to be a Blackberry die-hard since the days of the Pearl 8100 up until the 9900, and subsequently lost complete interest when the Z10 was released. I was so disappointed after 18 months of hype. Of course I got one; but poor battery, less than visually pleasing OS, continuing lack of apps etc - I just lost interest.

Anyhow, I am now cheesed off with charging my 5s everyday, which got me thinking - perhaps I should look at BB again to see if they have any phones with decent battery life. By all accounts, after reading the Z30 forum, this might................might, be the phone for me. This potential choice doesn't come without concerns - this is why I would like some advice on some apps that I must have if I am going to make the jump.

I am aware, although not up-to-speed about side-loading android apps onto the Z30. How successful is this? does it work as you would expect, i,e flawlessly as if it was on an android device? or does side-loaded apps tend to be glitchy?

The apps I absolutely need are... Barclays banking, Pay Pal, Geocaching, Yell, Safe note, ISS spotter, Dropbox and dictionary.

Does the z30 come with more than a few text and alert tones like the z10 pitifully had?

Is the antennae reception as good as I read about on here?

Is the camera half decent?

Last but not least - battery life. I'm not a heavy user by any means. In fact, I'm quite a light user. Would I be likely to get a few days use on a single charge?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Vegas.

PS: Please ignore my signature - it's old. I haven't posted on here for a long time.
    Fyi, Dropbox, box, the micro sd, remote PCs etc integrate directly into the os, so to you can view from the file manager and open/save files the same way you would if the storage was local.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 08:20 AM
    I went from a Z10 to a Z30 and agree with a lot of what has been said up to this point. But to give you both the good and the bad so you can make it a semi-fair judgment (you are on a crackberry forum after all), I must mention BB10's poor battery management in areas where cell coverage is sketchy. I work in an office that toggles between no connection and 2-3 bars on EDGE. With the Z10, the constant reception search would drain my battery completely by noon (starting with 100% at 7:30am). With the Z30, I can go until about 4pm. So the battery life will be completely dependent on the coverage, IMO. Otherwise, on the weekends when I'm at home in a good coverage area, I often forget to charge my phone (cause there is no need).

Other issues you may experience with the Z30 is the display is quite lacking in the sunlight. It definitely is a challenge to see if you don't have the brightness cranked.

Ah! One more thing: LTE. I'm on AT&T. I rarely get band 17 (main LTE band for AT&T). There is band 5 around my area somewhere, but it's elusive. You will notice slightly slower speeds if going from LTE back to 4G.

Btw, are you looking to sell your 5s? My daughter needs one. Her older iPhone is dying.
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 08:24 AM
    I have done the deed. Ordered from Amazon.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim back!!
    Can we start calling you a black sheep again?

Welcome back! You will love the Z30 and its amazing battery life. Just keep us posted on how you're doing ok!

Posted via CB10
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 08:32 AM
    Keep mind many iPhone apps seem to exist due to limitations in Safari.

Web apps work very well on bb10, see if one exists. My wife was told again and again at her work the iPhone was essential due to the work apps. Most were repackaged web apps and the mobile website had all the functionality.

She is loving her new Z30.

Main battery problem.... hard to put bb10 phones down.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 08:46 AM
    I advise that that sounds like a great idea!
    07-30-14 09:59 AM
    I went from a Z10 to a Z30 and agree with a lot of what has been said up to this point. But to give you both the good and the bad so you can make it a semi-fair judgment (you are on a crackberry forum after all), I must mention BB10's poor battery management in areas where cell coverage is sketchy. I work in an office that toggles between no connection and 2-3 bars on EDGE. With the Z10, the constant reception search would drain my battery completely by noon (starting with 100% at 7:30am). With the Z30, I can go until about 4pm. So the battery life will be completely dependent on the coverage, IMO. Otherwise, on the weekends when I'm at home in a good coverage area, I often forget to charge my phone (cause there is no need).

Other issues you may experience with the Z30 is the display is quite lacking in the sunlight. It definitely is a challenge to see if you don't have the brightness cranked.

Ah! One more thing: LTE. I'm on AT&T. I rarely get band 17 (main LTE band for AT&T). There is band 5 around my area somewhere, but it's elusive. You will notice slightly slower speeds if going from LTE back to 4G.

Btw, are you looking to sell your 5s? My daughter needs one. Her older iPhone is dying.
    Thanks for the heads-up, emta.

The coverage in my area and Plymouth (UK) in particular, is generally excellent, so I don't think I will have any problems with battery drain when the device is searching for a signal.

Oh BTW, I am going to sell my 6 month old 5s to fund the Z30 purchase. I wouldn't fancy the shipping charges if you're not in the UK, which I don't think you are!
    07-30-14 10:37 AM
    My daughter used to live in Plymouth, you won't have any problems with reception there.

Enjoy your new Z30.

Alan.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" Get's a Ten from Fen.
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 10:57 AM
    To get the official Geocaching app to work, you'll have to patch it. I use Real APK Leecher to download the apk from Google Play, and then patch it using the script from this thread. You'll also want to patch the PayPal app because of the location-based stuff.
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 11:19 AM
    If you didn't know one cool thing with the Z30 is that you can pair a blue tooth keyboard and mouse with it. You can then either use HDMI cable or miracast to send to TV. This can now be a laptop!

Just my two Cents.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    07-30-14 11:26 AM
    My wife has to charge her 5s right when she gets home from work. Here is my modestly used z30 after 1 and a half days of work.
    *Considering* jump from iPhone 5s to Z30. Opinions?-img_20140730_122455.png

Posted via CB10
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 11:26 AM
    My Z30 will go almost 2 days with moderate use
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 11:33 AM
    The sound is incredible on the z30... just another bonus going to that phone...
    vegas33139 likes this.
    07-30-14 12:15 PM
65 123