11-02-13 03:18 PM
    Not a bad review. The author gave props to the keyboard, design (I would love to see a side by side between the z30 & s4. The z30 looks uncomfortably large), and the hub. The lack of ecosystem will continue to be the Achilles heel for blackberry. Blackberry isn't doing enough to win over users from other platforms IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    browse_only and devin266 like this.
    11-02-13 03:39 PM
    As soon as the author says too little, too late you know the writer is an id10t and no further reading is warranted.
    It really isn't a bad review, although it certainly suffers from the commonplace defect in the way it arrives at a conclusion that isn't quite supported by the components of the review.

For example, the reviewer concedes,

"the Z30's software keyboard is one of the best I've used. The bigger screen makes for more comfortable typing than the smaller Z10 and I also appreciate BB10's impressive predictive text abilities."

Keyboard and text entry is a very major factor for many smartphone consumers, yet it seems to carry little if any weight for the reviewer. The Z30 call quality and speakerphone quality are similarly discounted, as if no one ever took calls, used a speakerphone or listened to audio on a smartphone. This undercuts his otherwise valid observations about the Z30, and I agree the review headline is a dead giveaway as to what seems a foregone conclusion. Z30 strengths, such as screensize, text entry, call quality, battery life, are brushed past because they don't support a negative assessment. What carries most weight, is app echosystem. I'm not saying this isn't a valid basis for differentiation, or that app availability is unimportant. But why bother reviewing a non-Android or non-Apple phone if in the final analysis that factor will carry the day? The other glaring omission is the lack of reference to any Windows Phone alternative. Apple's abscene in the review reflects their non-presence in this form-factor segment. But particulalry if you are going to talk about camera quality, how do you ignore Nokia and try and maintain that you're being objective?

I do think the reviewer makes an interesting point about BB10:

"I attribute much of the Z30's lack of pep to BB10's animation-heavy interface. For instance, when you tap on an app to open it, BB10 first slides your view to the Active Frame panel which shows windows for all currently running applications. After that happens the device will then (and only then) present a full-screen look at your selected app. It's a chain of events that adds a fraction of a second to every app-launching process. Sorry, BlackBerry, I know you want to highlight how many pieces of software BB10 can handle at once, but I'd rather not wait longer just so your phones can prove that point."

Not my experience with BB10 but an interesting pov. Maybe there are some unecessary, nanosecond-eating flourishes in BB10, but its still a developing OS and I expect it will continue to become leaner and quicker. Already, though, it is more rational and direct and intuitive than either the Android OS or IOS, IMHO. I know what I'm running in a heartbeat with BB10 and can switch to or shutdown what I want in another heartbeat. With rival platforms, I am continually going back to Square One and then finding and launching. If its fair to note that we don't always need to see what we're running under BB10, its also fair to recognize that many people find the competing platforms wanting when it comes to this aspect. Once you've gone through your memory-muscle drills of orienting yourself to IOS or Android, maybe the speed-to-launch is narrowly better, but it takes me longer to get back to the launch point. Whenever I use either of those platforms, I really, really feel the drag of having to reroute back to start. Android's pulldown options are improvements, but to me, BB10 is superior in this regard. I haven't used WP 8 enough to make a comparison. My sense is that WP are the most customizable if you want lean and simple. It's realtively easy to pair the homescreen down to your most-used choices. I do think its well past the time when WP can be ignored, however.

Most of the major tech sites and outlets still primarily follow the money, though. Some of this is straight bias, IMHO, and there is likely a general sense for outlets that with so many Android and IOS users out there, it pays to tred lightly when making any comparisons, and to tend toward offsets whenever you begrudgingly tip your cap to a rival platform. Good screen, good keyboard, good speakers, good call quality. What were those Canucks thinking?
    11-02-13 05:22 PM
    The conclusion and rating did not match the review at all. If you only read the review, you'd expect at least a 4 or 4.5 of 5 rating judging by how good the reviewer talked about it. However, the phone was given a meagre 3/5 stars with the added comment that it was "too little, too late", which really has no place in a phone review, seeing as how they're reviewing the phone and not the company.

I really wish reviews like CNET didn't attach star ratings to their reviews and just let readers decide for themselves based on the actual review.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    serbanescu likes this.
    11-02-13 05:51 PM
    He complained about a fraction of a second. This dirt if complaint always amazes me.

BB Proud
    LtHavoc21 likes this.
    11-02-13 06:03 PM
    He complained about a fraction of a second. This dirt if complaint always amazes me.

BB Proud
    The title though, why?

Posted via Jiggy's Z10
    11-02-13 06:28 PM
    The reviewer complains about the fraction of a second animation when opening an app. The purpose of the animation is to alert the user where to find running apps. But is it really slowing down opening of apps? I mean is the app still opening in the background while the animation plays or does it only open after the animation completes?

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the same app being opened on iOS, Android, WP, and BB10 to see which opens quicker.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.2.0.1791 | Bell via CB10
    11-02-13 06:43 PM
    The reviewer complains about the fraction of a second animation when opening an app. The purpose of the animation is to alert the user where to find running apps. But is it really slowing down opening of apps? I mean is the app still opening in the background while the animation plays or does it only open after the animation completes?

I would like to see a side by side comparison of the same app being opened on iOS, Android, WP, and BB10 to see which opens quicker.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.2.0.1791 | Bell via CB10
    I was fine with the review until I read this too. Like webos before it the purpose of the anninmation is usability. It tells the user where in the stack the app sits so when they swiipe up they know where their other apps are. I hate his snarky comment about it. Otherwise it's mostly fair

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    11-02-13 07:59 PM
    Really, years ago?
    Actually, yes. I actually agree.
    11-02-13 08:09 PM
    Sad thing is, if the Z30 had an Apple logo on it, the reviewer would be marvelling at what an amazing device it is. But hey, it's a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 08:19 PM
    Sad thing is, if the Z30 had an Apple logo on it, the reviewer would be marvelling at what an amazing device it is. But hey, it's a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    ^ this

CB10'n it via da Z
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    11-02-13 08:27 PM
    11-02-13 09:10 PM
    Me too.
    I never wanted to fall so low to test milliseconds between phones, but having a couple of devices in my possession I decided to run a quick test.
    I have borrowed a Samsung S4 and Nexus 4 and my personal device is Z10.
    I opened Browser (with google home page), Facebook, and LinkedIn (didn't want to install anything extra).

Browser - Chrome on N4 at 1 second, Z10 and S4 at about 1.5 seconds. The S4 pages loading speed was significantly slower than N4 and Z10 which was a tie.
    FB - Z10 shows loading circle the first in about 1 second, N4 about 2.5 seconds closely followed by S4.
    LI - slow in general, S4 about 3.5 seconds, Z10 and N4 a tie around 4 seconds

In all tests, Z10 was displaying application loading image almost instantly, android devices lagged by a half second.
    I can't see where Z10 is worse than droids and expect Z30 to be not slower.

Bottom line, if you want or paid to complain about slow app start up times - its your right.
    But don't expect everybody to follow.

But here's the funny part I found about the browser.
    As expected, it showed more ads than BB10 (as android is subsidized).
    I understand the value of ads and agree that Google needs to be paid back for the great search engine support.
    But I didn't expect them to value android more than the search engine!
    I noticed that on some searches droids showed 3 times more ads than BB!
    CNET is at it again. What do you folks think of this review?-make.jpg
    CNET is at it again. What do you folks think of this review?-wallpictures.jpg
    CNET is at it again. What do you folks think of this review?-graco.jpg

Oh well, everybody has their own stream of revenue.
    11-03-13 01:17 AM
    Silicon Valley review for an American audience. It is clear that tech media is largely discounting non-Silicon Valley options. They want two eco-systems, no more. Thus the focus on apps, the ignoring of Windows Phone and the odd star rating given. Not very much can be done about it. Too bad.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:30 AM
    I couldn't care less about what CNET has to say.

I made up my mind a long time ago: I'm buying the Z30. Now, if BlackBerry would be so kind as to let me buy one from their site...

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99, Jiggy1971 and revtech like this.
    11-03-13 03:05 AM
    Not a bad review at all... he gave appreciation to the keyboard and hub.. I agree with him on the camera and definitely the animations taking to long.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:18 AM
    Not a bad review at all... he gave appreciation to the keyboard and hub.. I agree with him on the camera and definitely the animations taking to long.

Posted via CB10
    I find the camera more than sufficient for my needs. Different people have different needs though.

The animations do not take too long. Think about it: the process is not going to be aby shorter if those animations are removed. From the moment the icon is pressed, the application starts to load. If that animation wasn't there, you'd just sit there at a loading screen for longer. And the animations (unlike on iOS) have a purpose. They serve to tell you where to find things and not get lost.

Overall, the review was fair, but the rating did not match it.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-03-13 03:27 AM
    I really wish BlackBerry would publicly point out that the boot time is slow because it is checking that the installed core software is genuine and not -- for example -- a hacked version of the OS written by the NSA.

Of course the Moto X launches in 15 seconds! It doesn't give a dam about checking whether the OS is hacked... it just loads it up and starts.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 05:20 AM
    I really wish BlackBerry would publicly point out that the boot time is slow because it is checking that the installed core software is genuine and not -- for example -- a hacked version of the OS written by the NSA.

Of course the Moto X launches in 15 seconds! It doesn't give a dam about checking whether the OS is hacked... it just loads it up and starts whether the OS is hacked or not.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 05:21 AM
    Silicon Valley review for an American audience. It is clear that tech media is largely discounting non-Silicon Valley options. They want two eco-systems, no more. Thus the focus on apps, the ignoring of Windows Phone and the odd star rating given. Not very much can be done about it. Too bad.

Posted via CB10
    Ugh. Really? There's a conspiracy from the illuminati of the American media to banish blackberry? Why, so they don't have to review sso many phones? Are you ok in the head?

Simply put the review is mostly fair. The hardware is good but not flagship. I think the app situation is overrated but I can understand how others won't. You can't even get you bank app (that's a pretty big deal). Other than his comments on the os showing off or struggling I am ok with the write up.

In the end productivity doesn't sell. It didn't for webos and it's not great for microsoft or BlackBerry. Its the reason we all buy BlackBerry but for the most part the general public doesn't care

Makes a hell lot more sense than the media conspiring to end anything not silicone valley. That doesn't even make sense! Cnet is in sanfansico and engadget is in ny. Why would they want to banish our Canadian neighbors but embrace samsung?

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    anon(2523636) likes this.
    11-03-13 05:25 AM
    I skimmed through the article and it's mostly valid and balanced. Maybe I went too fast through it, but I didn't see anything about wireless charging.

Also if the reporter is giving low ranks because of the status of the company then the guy is a moron.
    11-03-13 06:29 AM
    I just think that comparing z30 to android phones is just not right. Bb10 offers different experience and it is suited for different user.

That battery life makes me want to have this phone.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    11-03-13 06:56 AM
    Good to see that the media conspiracy theories are still running rampant.
    Too little too late is idiotic? More like accurate. Even if it doesn't suit your agenda.
    11-03-13 07:14 AM
    The title though, why?

Posted via Jiggy's Z10
    click bait
    Jiggy1971 likes this.
    11-03-13 07:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    so what is the reason Canadians do not buy Blackberry phones? The two ecosystem you are talking about control over 80% of the Canadian market.
    11-03-13 07:42 AM
49 12