I love the Z30 so much I thought I'd buy a spare one as nothing last forever and this phone just does everything I need and more, so I decided to buy another. Staples has or had a sale on last week for $265.00 a brand new white or black Z30, so I ordered a white one since I have a black one now.
    The phone arrived the next day, nice fast shipping. I noticed a major lag when I first tried to key in my wifi info. Once I got that in and did the upgrade my touch screen no longer worked at all, no response what so ever, just totally dead. So I called them and they said they would drop off a new one and pick up the broken one. This took two days, it arrived Friday at 3:30 at my office so I took it home to set up over the weekend. When I got home and turned it on, I got a red outline of a battery with a line through it. I plugged it in, got a yellow light, then red, then it tried to boot with the blackberry name appearing on the screen, then back to the red light and back and forth it went. I messed around, plugging it in and unplugging kind of like trying to get a playbook to start up from a dead battery. Well, it finally kicked in and proceeded to boot up! I left it alone until it was 100% charged, then let it upgrade the OS, once this completed and it rebooted, it was back to red light and blackberry logo, back and forth until I did a hard reset (volume up, down and pause) and once again it came back to life.
    Before doing too much more, I thought I'd test it so I did a restart and once again the same, red light and blackberry logo over and over, I just left if and let if die out trying to boot. I called them today, they are sending another phone I should get it tomorrow. Only this time they said they are billing me for another phone until the broken one comes back to them? They are picking up the broken phone when they drop of I hope a working Z30, just strange that I'm being asked to pay and then get a refund. But even stranger that I got two broken White Z30's in a row. These are the first ever Blackberry phones that have arrived DOA and I've bought well over 100 Blackberrys for my company over the years. I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm.
    06-22-15 03:17 PM
    Only this time they said they are billing me for another phone until the broken one comes back to them? They are picking up the broken phone when they drop of I hope a working Z30, just strange that I'm being asked to pay and then get a refund. But even stranger that I got two broken White Z30's in a row. These are the first ever Blackberry phones that have arrived DOA and I've bought well over 100 Blackberrys for my company over the years. I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm.
    The charge, then refund after broken unit return seems to be quite common, for BlackBerry, for Apple, etc. It does seem odd for Staples to be asking you to do this when they'll be receiving the broken Z30 directly from you when you get the new one delivered. It could be whoever handled your RMA at Staples.
    06-22-15 03:30 PM
    Likewise I also purchased a second back up phone (white also to keep them separated). Everything worked perfectly on the new phone.
    This plan worked well for me because I had to return the original for repairs.
    Switched to the white back up and it worked perfectly until the original was returned .

One lesson learned.
    The advice I received on here about moving to a second identical phone was not complete.
    I had to tinker quite a bit to restore everything.
    Link back up and Ultimate Back up works.
    Use my Z30 mostly for business.

Posted by Jerbru
    06-22-15 07:05 PM
    Your power button is stuck. Remove the rear cover and see if the problem persists. If it does, use a small file and lightly file the area around the powerbutton on the rear cover.
    06-22-15 07:22 PM
    mad_mdx, I think you are on to something here. I did notice that that power button seemed kind of stuck down. I've since returned that phone and they delivered another which I am in the process of loading a backup file onto it. So far this one seems to be working correctly. I've got my fingers crossed. I can still see two charges on my Amex bill from Staples even though I only have one phone. I called and they said it would be credited within 7-10 days. Still very strange to get two bad phones in a row, but stuff happens.
    06-23-15 02:02 PM
    So, I had a Z30 back from when they first came out, and I had no issues with it, but I did go with a friend to buy one of the ones from staples, and I notices the same issue, the back cover is a little too big, thereby holding down the power button, and making it act up.

Not to mention the actual back cover doesn't fit too well, it looks like it was too small.

I lent her the back cover to my Z30, which fit a little better, still wonky, but at least it didn't cover the button.

Must be something with that particular batch of Z30s

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-23-15 02:56 PM
    The stuck power button just happened to me. I bought a flip cover for my Z30 and when I put it on I didn't realize that it was holding the power button down. After a few seconds the phone tried to power down after putting the cover on.

I filed down the part of the cover near the power button. That seems to have solved the problem.

Z30 10.3.2.2252
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    06-24-15 03:06 PM
    If they won't release an upgraded Z30 soon I'll buy myself another backup Z30 too. I don't want to use any other phone.

06-25-15 02:44 AM