To be a success and to truly impress at what the A10 was ment to do (gaming and communication/social network), I feel that the A10 would at least require a 1080p screen and I believe that there's a good chance that it will be despite the much discussed leaked spec of a 720p screen because of the variations of A10s being tested and because I just can't believe blackberry would have a lower resolution screen than the z10's 768 x 1280. I think exactly 5? OLED and no larger is a sure thing looking at the leaked video, this puts it in the category of high end smart phones not phablet competing with the S4 and not the note.

On the cpu/gpu front I think although a quad core is ideal, maybe dual core will be better suited for gaming because of the higher clock values. Also if 10.2 can provide us iphone 5 exceeding smoothness then I really am not too bothered if it's a dual or quad core.

I think the GPU is as important as the CPU and the rumored/leaked quad core gpu seems to be quite the decent performer. I don't think there are any quad core gpu phones in the market right now. Samsung S4 and iphone 5 both have tri-cores I believe.

Being a photography enthusiast, I would love to see blackberry include a much better camera sensor. I've read somewhere that although it might be a 8mp camera that comes with the A10 it could be a larger sensor giving better quality and low light pictures. This is a very important component of the phone because it rules much of the social networking aspect. Instagram for instance (when it arrives for os10). It would be great if pictures taken on an A10 is noticably better. That would improve the masses perception of blackberry.

So to recap:

CPU: dual core 1.7 qualcomm msm 8960 pro.
    GPU: quad core
    Display: 5" OLED 1080p, 300++ ppi
    Camera: 8Mp improved from z10 q10.
    Memory: 16gb + sd expansion + 2GB ram
    Battery: 2800mah removable ( yes it should be removable)

Price: USD600 full retail price no contract. USD199 2 year contract.

Believable?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 07:28 AM
    Isn't every phone going to have one of two screen resolutions?
    I remember them saying that they will keep it simple for the developers.
    07-31-13 08:12 AM
    The A10 is what it is and is not going to be changed. It is way too late to change the A10
    SuperionMaximus likes this.
    07-31-13 08:35 AM
    If it's even just a little better then the Z10 it should be awesome.
    LWKING likes this.
    07-31-13 09:34 AM
    Hell, I'd personally prefer two sd card slots over quad core. Or 2+ GHZ dual core for that matter.

But I really would like to stream netflix and Pandora via multi cast but that won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 09:52 AM
    The A10 is what it is and is not going to be changed. It is way too late to change the A10
    Exactly. They are already producing test units as we've seen from the many leaks. Any major hardware change at this stage of the game would push the device back to Q2 of 2014 by which time whatever they changed won't be enough anyway.

The best we can hope for is that the next phone in the pipeline after the Aristo is going to be a larger leap forward.

I doubt it because BlackBerry is still thinking about conceptualizing an idea of what Mobile computing might be 5 years down the road while every other company out there is delivering mobile computing to consumers today. I don't think BlackBerry is in touch with the consumer market, and I don't think they will stay in the consumer market. I really believe at this point that BlackBerry 10 will not survive and BlackBerry will become a service company facilitating OTA and M2M for enterprise customers and the work that went into creating BB10 will be leveraged as a tool set for QNX partners to more easily build their own OS on top of neutrino for whatever purpose they desire.

The only remnant for consumers of BlackBerry as we know it may be BBM. If it takes off as a multi-platform messaging app and channels is a success, we may see it live on. But BlackBerry just isn't even trying at making competitive hardware or delivering a consumer facing mobile computing experience. They appear to lack the focused vision to pull it off. While BlackBerry makes cute promo videos, people are using Siri in their car with the iOS interface on the dashboard (thanks to BlackBerry no less) and Google is delivering it's services to every screen imaginable. All while BB10 doesn't even work in landscape or deliver a screen mirroring, media viewing/control experience on par with even the playbook.
    keypad likes this.
    07-31-13 10:27 AM

CPU: dual core 1.7 qualcomm msm 8960 pro.
    GPU: quad core
    Display: 5" OLED 1080p, 300++ ppi
    Camera: 8Mp improved from z10 q10.
    Memory: 16gb + sd expansion + 2GB ram
    Battery: 2800mah removable ( yes it should be removable)
    Believable?

Posted via CB10
    I like your thinking.

I agree that an amazing camera is essential. A dual-core is acceptable as long as the processor is fast. And a quad-core gpu would be good. I'm not crazy about only 16gb of memory, but as long as there is an SD slot then this will be fine.

However, I disagree with you in that I think that 720p is fine. And I'd like to see more RAM. It seems that BB10 is RAM-hungry. Lastly, a huge battery is essential! I'd like an overnight flight to Europe and a day out of my phone.
    08-01-13 10:40 AM
    Exactly. They are already producing test units as we've seen from the many leaks. Any major hardware change at this stage of the game would push the device back to Q2 of 2014 by which time whatever they changed won't be enough anyway.

The best we can hope for is that the next phone in the pipeline after the Aristo is going to be a larger leap forward.

I doubt it because BlackBerry is still thinking about conceptualizing an idea of what Mobile computing might be 5 years down the road while every other company out there is delivering mobile computing to consumers today. I don't think BlackBerry is in touch with the consumer market, and I don't think they will stay in the consumer market. I really believe at this point that BlackBerry 10 will not survive and BlackBerry will become a service company facilitating OTA and M2M for enterprise customers and the work that went into creating BB10 will be leveraged as a tool set for QNX partners to more easily build their own OS on top of neutrino for whatever purpose they desire.

The only remnant for consumers of BlackBerry as we know it may be BBM. If it takes off as a multi-platform messaging app and channels is a success, we may see it live on. But BlackBerry just isn't even trying at making competitive hardware or delivering a consumer facing mobile computing experience. They appear to lack the focused vision to pull it off. While BlackBerry makes cute promo videos, people are using Siri in their car with the iOS interface on the dashboard (thanks to BlackBerry no less) and Google is delivering it's services to every screen imaginable. All while BB10 doesn't even work in landscape or deliver a screen mirroring, media viewing/control experience on par with even the playbook.
    Cool story bro!

Maybe you want a different forum to post a rant in? Here we'd like to discuss the A10 and the ideal specs for it.

Just saying.
    08-01-13 10:41 AM
    Whatever! The low specs still su*ks for me.
    08-01-13 10:42 AM
    Ideally to compete with the One and the S4, the Z10 would require:

1.7Ghz Quad-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
    1080p Resolution
    2GB RAM
    16GB and 32GB of storage + MicroSD card support
    A good sensor and imaging software. (MP don't matter as much as the quality of the image does)
    Removable battery
    08-01-13 11:01 AM

1080p Resolution
    2GB RAM
    A good sensor and imaging software. (MP don't matter as much as the quality of the image does)
    Removable battery
    Two things

1) The Snapdragon 800 would likely be clocked around 2-2.5 GHz

2) I highly doubt BlackBerry wants to have top of the line specs to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING likes this.
    08-01-13 01:52 PM
    On another a related note, I just read on BGR about motorola's new moto x. Priced 199 with 2 year contract. 720p screen, dual core processor. Sound familiar? If priced similarly I don't see how the A10 is DOA as some have mentioned.

http://bgr.com/2013/08/01/motorola-m...elease-august/

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 06:09 PM
    Ideal specs for the ideal price. Remember that the high end market is "supposedly" saturated. 199 with 2 year contract would put it at the higher end of mid tier phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 06:10 PM
    On another a related note, I just read on BGR about motorola's new moto x. Priced 199 with 2 year contract. 720p screen, dual core processor. Sound familiar? If priced similarly I don't see how the A10 is DOA as some have mentioned.

http://bgr.com/2013/08/01/motorola-m...elease-august/

Posted via CB10
    The Moto X is mainly relying on the customization options and the hands free voice control with Google Now. The A10 needs a killer feature if it's coming with those specs. Not to mention the Moto X has the Google ecosystem to back it up

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 06:41 PM

1080p Resolution
    2GB RAM
    Removable battery
    You don't say...

Here's a video of a Z10 running an early version of 10.2. . The Z10 will be even better than this when 10.2 officially releases and the A10 will be better still. Besides the screen resolution, what more do you need performance wise?
    08-02-13 03:54 AM
    It's likely the A10 specs are virtually set in stone now.

In my opinion, 720p screen resolution is acceptable and preferable to aid battery endurance.

CPU and GPU combination should perform well, so I won't keep going on about the lack of a Quad core processor.

What I do have issue with, is the lack of upgrade to the Ram.

It's highly likely that the Galaxy Note 3, will be one of the first phones to contain 3 Giga Bytes of ram and Blackberry should aim to match that to remain relevant in the consumers mind, at least on a select few, higher end specs.

Also, we know BB10s multitasking, needs plenty of ram, so a bump up to 3 ( but ideally 4 GB of Ram ) can't hurt a bit.

Battery will most probably stay at 2800 mAh, so just have to dream on of a 3500mAh unit.

So that just leaves the camera.

I hope it gets bumped up to 12 MP or even just squeeze it up a bit to match the Moto Xs 10 MP shooter.

Here's hoping for some pleasant news soon :/
    08-02-13 04:37 AM