I purchased an OEM holster and for the past 36 hours I have been trying to force the Z30 into the holster with the blinking notification light facing outwards (as it appears in all advertisements). It just did not fit! So after 36 hours of struggling my 13 year old took the phone and placed it screen in such that the notification light is not visible and it fit absolutely perfectly. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Word to the wise.
    01-25-14 02:08 PM
    I purchased an OEM holster and for the past 36 hours I have been trying to force the Z30 into the holster with the blinking notification light facing outwards (as it appears in all advertisements). It just did not fit! So after 36 hours of struggling my 13 year old took the phone and placed it screen in such that the notification light is not visible and it fit absolutely perfectly. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Word to the wise.
    That's the safest way of holstering, in my opinion. I've seen 3 or 4 people with various BlackBerry's have screen damage when having the screen facing out and knocking against something. I haven't even tried facing my Z30 screen outward. You're correct -- doesn't exactly fit to well...
    01-25-14 02:53 PM
    There have been a few posts on this. True and my 9930 was the same way when first purchased but over time the leather will loosen up and it now fits either way. If you'll notice the shape and profile of the phone and holster you'll note hat the holster was designed for the Z30 to go in with screen facing in.

To speed up the loosening up process you can stretch the leather by using a form of similar size but larger and leave it in the holster at night, over the weekend or when not in use. Dampening the leather on the outside will help. Personally I prefer screen in as when I unholster it the screen is already facing me, correctly oriented.
    01-25-14 03:06 PM
    I agree that this is safest to have the screen facing (i.e., in) but nowhere have I seen it mentioned that the case is designed to be used screen facing in. In addition, I do not think that there is any true leather on this case and, rather, believe that this is synthetic and as such am hesitant to attempt any "liquid" loosening agent. Ideally I would be able to use this case with a TPU gel on the Z30 but I do not see how this is possible.
    01-25-14 03:55 PM
    The case does actually contain real leather, but it is really low quality, with a fake grain print on the top surface and a synthetic microfiber lining bonded to the inside surface, so it does NOT behave like leather in terms of stretching.. ie, wetting the material will NOT help it stretch because of the synthetic lining..

That said, the material will stretch very slightly over time, but due entirely to mechanical means.. Water or stretching sprays (which are really just alcohol and water solution in a spray can- the alcohol helps the water evaporate quickly to "set" the stretch) will not do anything to the case.. The only safe method that will help is to cut out a wood or plastic form that is slightly bigger and force it into the case over and over again..Heat may also work, but you risk melting or distorting the fake plastic grain print on top or damaging the lining.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 12:59 AM
    It does stretch with a little damping of water or oiling the leather and the fabric stretches and stays as well. I've done two co-worker's holsters and mine as well. When trying with the wood block I made it was working but taking forever, but after damping it was much quicker. Leather will react as leather regardless of quality. My wife has been doing leather work for 15 years and I think she has a little idea to what she's doing. Worked fine for three holsters.

Using a hair dryer to warm it a little helps and doesn't harm it if you don't allow it to get too warm. Warm to the touch is enough to open the pores of the grain and allow it to be a little more pliable. If you do use a little leather oil or water, don't use heat to dry it. Allow it to air dry

As to the design, look at the holster shape, flat on the back and tapering (doming) to the outside, the same shape as the phone cross section, flat screen side and tapering to the back. Designed that way or not, it explains why the phone slips in nicer screen in than out, because the shape of the holster matches that way.
    01-26-14 03:06 AM
    Appreciate the responses and suggestions. As I look at the case now I see that there is a wrong and right way to insert the phone but I just think it is funny that I have not seen this posted or illustrated before. I am very excited about trying to stretch this case. Will try a little oil and a wooden form. Thanks to all.
    01-26-14 09:59 AM
    I have a similar problem with my BlackBerry Z30 leather sleeve. I want the screen to face in but the sleeve is designed so it only faces out.

I put it in upside down because one, I'd rather scratch the silver chin than crack the glass and two, so I can easily pull it out without grabbing the buttons. (More 1 than 2).

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    01-26-14 07:28 PM