people complain about the screen quality is only due to the icons being resized to fit 5 rows instead of 4 causing them to look pixilated, has nothing to do with it being 720p
    Could that really be true?
    Even though the Z30 screen is great for me and I don't notice without actually sitting down and trying to see the pixels to some degree. Lol

Posted via that z10!
    11-12-13 10:52 AM
    It's a great phone. As someone who put up with the playbook (was it sub 200 PPI?) I think the Z30 is fine screen wise. Less pixels = less gpu horsepower required = longer battery life.

I want a phone for usability and battery life on the go, not for quadcore number crunching. I've got an intel quad for that.

Blackberry has hit it out of the park with the QNX based BB10. Excellent multitasking from a dualcore phone. Android can't even compare on the multitasking and power conservation front. Feels great in the hand too. Just be careful holding the phone with the back cover off. She's real slippy without that textured back.

Welcome to the party. If blackberry gets their advertising together they've got a real winner with the Z30. Can't wait for whatever they have next as long as they don't start packing power hungry quads into their phone and I can make it an easy day I am happy.

Custom gestures would be AMAZING too... I shouldn't get ahead of myself here.
    11-12-13 08:17 PM
    First off I want to say great review. Kudos to Telus for having reps that actually trial the different phones. Bell was not so kind in my experience.

Like you, my first phone love was the iPhone 4. It was a great phone and honestly was not excited by a phone release till the z30.

The galaxy was nice but felt cheap. IPhone 5 was nothing special to me. Just a long iPhone 4. HTC one was close but the battery wasn't great and I found the build quality and software record was less than stellar. Then came the z30. The hardware specifics were nothing special but the phone just sang to me. I loved how everything looked and how it felt in the hand. It works great for typing, emailing and Web browsing. It has a good phone and a great battery. It is the first phone that has beat my old iPhone 4 for battery.

I fell in love with this phone and I hope that blackberry can fight back and bring us some more of their magic. This phone will keep me happy for two years no problem

Posted via my Z30
    vegetto_456 likes this.
    11-12-13 10:03 PM
    Quote:> " As it stands currently, the Z30 appears to be an excellent phone and certainly worth the upgrade. For me it is, anyway.">

OP, Thanks for a great post, I am anxious to hold a Z30 to check the feel and balance. This is the thing that sold me on the Z10 when I held one for the first time. I had already done my home work.
    vegetto_456 likes this.
    11-12-13 10:05 PM
    Warning: Wall of text incoming

I was walking by a Telus store at the mall where I spotted the Z30 front and centre, alongside the Q10. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable about the Z30 and was eager to show it off to me. To my surprise, they didn't attempt to steer me towards the latest android handsets or the new iPhone when I expressed interest in the Z30. They also didn't try to bs me with stories of BlackBerry going out of business and things of that nature, as I often read on the forums and how they won't be supporting these phones. I don't know, maybe it's a Canadian thing? But I digress.

This was my first time seeing the Z30 in person, and boy was I blown away! Wow. That's all I can say, wow . After reading the threads on here, bemoaning and lamenting the screen for being 720p and "subpar", I expected the worst picking up the Z30. But before I get to the screen, I want to talk about something else first. I was actually surprised by the weight of the phone. A lot of the reviews I read online pointed out the fact that the Z30 was supposedly heavy (perhaps in relation to competing handsets). Truth be told, it actually felt light and dare I say it, perfect in my hands. It felt very well balanced and I loved the feeling of the back cover. Overall, it felt like a high end handset and was quite the looker I might add. Although I didn't spend enough time with the handset to be to conclusively comment on the quality of construction, I will say this: The Z30 truly felt like a premium device when picking it up for the first time and fiddling with it. Everything from how it looks and feels, to how the big gorgeous screen just seems to dominate the front of the device. Mind you, this is just from the initial impression alone, and I suspect that it's a feeling that will solidify after using it for an extended time.

So getting back to the issue of screen resolution as I had mentioned earlier, so having read the negative threads and posts pertaining to the Z30 screen resolution/quality, I was expecting a terrible display with messy jaggies abound. WRONG. Using the phone and loading up my favourite sites, I was genuinely surprised at how good everything looked. As silly as it looked to the staff, I brought the phone real close to my face and I wasn't overwhelmed by the presence of visible pixels, as some very vocal users would seem to suggest. I also watched some online videos on sites such as Youtube and Dailymotion and holy moly the videos looked so vibrant, crisp and clear! Certainly not the horrible pixelated mess that I was expecting. I will admit however that the screen wasn't as bright as the Z10 and could stand to be brighter but it looked fine otherwise. Typing on the phone was a dream and I wasn't making mistakes like I would on the Z10 keyboard. I actually think that the BB10 OS might be a better fit for a larger screen and like many other fans, I wish that BlackBerry had released the Z30 as their first touchscreen BB10 handset instead of the Z10.

Now the problem is I really really want this phone now. And to top it off, it hasn't even 3 months since I purchased my Z10. I think I may have developed an addiction! I am never one to change phones frequently and in fact, I used the iPhone 4 up until last year when I switched to the 9900. The Z30 feels that much better to me, as compared to the Z10. Honestly I haven't been this excited about getting a phone since the iPhone 4 had originally came out.

I would like to end my post by saying that these are of course my personal impressions and opinions. I know that it might differ from the present prevailing theme of continuously bashing the Z30, but don't try to "explain" to me how 1080p screens are so much better due to numbers alone and that I can't possibly be right and how the Z30 is not good value for the money. There is more to this than just pure numbers. These are subjective matters and everyone has a different metric with which they judge the value of something, price notwithstanding.

While I don't deny the fact that 1080p screens have more pixels and thus a higher resolution, but comparing the Z30 screen to the S4 and other 1080p phones at the store, I honestly didn't see what all the criticism is about. One screen didn't look leagues better than the other. As it stands currently, the Z30 appears to be an excellent phone and certainly worth the upgrade. For me it is, anyway.
    I don't agree with everything in your review, but I appreciate that this is your impression and has been framed as such. You likely won't regret getting it.

Posted via CB10
    rayzian likes this.
    11-12-13 10:05 PM
    Thank you for your eloquent use of the English language.

I have tested this device at Telus, as well, and I found it to be quite beautiful and smooth. I do prefer the Z10 screen, but, as you said, the screen isn't bad at all.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 11:32 PM
    I've been saying and using the Z30 for a while now and have said in other thread that those idiots complaining about resolution are morons who hasn't picked up a Z30 before spouting specs.
    11-13-13 12:25 AM
    I too had no interest in the z30 thinking it was going to be one of those ridiculously huge phones you see around. So I didn't follow the release and had not been reading the forums.

However one day I was killing time in a mobile shop and saw one on display, so I had a play and became very interested very quickly.

On the size front pretty much the same as a z10 with a transform cover on, but just soo much more screen real estate. Importantly it felt great in hand and the response of the os was noticeable relative to the z10.

Long story short, I am now the proud owner of the z30. Best phone I have ever had to date. Battery life is just exceptional, reminds me of the old curve days (except you can use the browser) I will easily get a solid 18 to 20 hours out of a charge and still have 20 to 30% left when I quit for the night.

This phone makes me a lot more productive, a lot of things I would use my laptop for I can do on the z30. I get the concept now if mobile computing, before in thought it was just a wanky marketing term.

BlackBerry go out and market this phone, it's your best product ever and hardly anyone knows about it.

Mike Duncan on my Z30
    jrohland and vegetto_456 like this.
    11-13-13 08:30 AM
    I can't say enough about how good the Z30 is. It's just... awesome! Everything from the beefy battery down to the speakers and USB OTG just makes this phone so versatile.

If I had any gripe about this phone. I do find it a "little" heavy. But that's a small price to pay when the phone easily lasts me a day on strenuous use (Maps + Mobile Hotspot galore!).

And yes, the screen is gorgeous!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 01:36 PM
    I'd love to get hands on with this phone, but here in the UK, where it's been available for weeks, not one single store has one that I can hold. Some of them still don't know what it is....i want this in white, so badly!

Posted via my sexy white Z10 STL100-2/10.2.0.1791
    11-14-13 08:06 AM
    I'd love to get hands on with this phone, but here in the UK, where it's been available for weeks, not one single store has one that I can hold. Some of them still don't know what it is....i want this in white, so badly!

Posted via my sexy white Z10 STL100-2/10.2.0.1791
    Phone CPW customer support and they can check all the stores in any area you want. Usually 3/10 stores have them in stock, when they have them in stock there's usually a display too.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:10 PM
    Where are these pixelated letters and icons that some few people complain about? I can't find any. The screen is marvellous.
    P.s. My eye doctor confirmed to me that my eyesight still is great.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 07:26 AM
    I have to admit, when I hold our iPad Air for a few minutes, then go back to the Z30, the Z looks so much more dim and less crisp. Quite amazing when you compare the 2.

having said that, I have no problems with the Z display. And if a dimmer screen means the extra long battery life that I am currently enjoying, I am ok with this.
    11-15-13 08:08 AM
38 12