Thanks for the photos and your efforts.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 02:49 PM
    Congrats to the OP for making it to the front page of CrackBerry.com!

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 04:30 PM
    Those connectors just pop off with a bit of pressure from the bottom -- DO NOT PULL ON THE CABLE, YOU'll TEAR IT!

Be careful putting them back on -- if you get them misaligned and apply pressure you'll destroy the male mating end on the board, and then you're done.

This sort of connector is only rated to be mated and un-mated a handful of times over the life of the device (preferably once​ when the device is originally put together!) Do not disconnect them unnecessarily.

Thank you for this -- it looks like the only real issue would be sourcing a replacement battery when the time comes. That helps, but given it will be single-source one hopes it isn't too ridiculously expensive.

Incidentally the single-year degradation expected for a LiIon battery is between 20-25%. Yes, it is important that it be replaceable and Apple knows damn well their batteries (like all others) will self-destruct. BlackBerry is better than most in that their charge algorithm will not attempt to ram the battery to 100% capacity and hold it there -- that materially shortens a Lithium Ion battery's life.
    sayf777 and Lawrencho like this.
    12-19-13 07:57 PM
    You the man. This gives me courage to lookie at my VZN battery. No wait, I'm a 73 year old nuclear physicist ... Duh. Oh well. Very sweet post. Tinged with look and feel of background scenes from Blade Runner. TY. Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 12-20-13 at 01:23 AM. Reason: More info
    12-20-13 01:09 AM
    Id say 99.9 percent of you thinking you would ever need a battery are wrong about that.
    12-20-13 07:11 AM
    You the man. This gives me courage to lookie at my VZN battery. No wait, I'm a 73 year old nuclear physicist ... Duh. Oh well. Very sweet post. Tinged with look and feel of background scenes from Blade Runner. TY. Doc Neutron
    Wait ... I have 42 and I am but a courageous ... You are a nuclear physicist ? Excuse me, but clearly... you are the man!
    12-20-13 11:16 AM
    Did you happen to check what makes this thing as heavy as it is compared to everything else? Curious to know if it is the battery or the device frame or something else...
    12-24-13 12:20 AM
    chelojavier, thanks for the info and photos. I'm an engineer who's not afraid to dig into my electronics. It's nice to have someone go first to find the potential pitfalls.

It appears there is no heatsink for the CPU or GPU. That is surprising. I know the Z10 has an aluminum frame the CPU is thermal pasted to which is structural and used to dissipate heat.

Those of you who believe you will need to replace the battery, I wonder how long you plan to use this phone? I believe there will be significantly better devices many of you will want before the battery looses too much capacity. For me, 3 years is a long time to use the same phone. Usually there is a new device I want at about 18-20 months.
    Well ... usually replace my phone every month or every two months ... haha​​! I am not an example of a captive user of any trademark in special. Since I've posted these pictures to this day, I have gone through the Galaxy Note 3; Lg G2 and now I'm with a Lumia 1520 ...
    However, it is known that any modern battery supports up to 800 charge cycles before starting to show signs of weakening. That figure is equivalent to approximately two and a half years, assuming that we charge the phone every day of the year.
    For now, the tutorial I mentioned in this post, I assure you all, that in an hour any user can replace without advanced knowledge.
    02-08-14 12:33 AM
    Did you happen to check what makes this thing as heavy as it is compared to everything else? Curious to know if it is the battery or the device frame or something else...
    The device is housed in plastic frame. No single metal component in it, despite the silver bezel color ..
    The screen has a plaque that lines the underside, and is constructed of metal. That, plus the size of the battery makes it somewhat heavy device.
    Right now, I'm using a Nokia Lumia 1520, and I guarantee it is by far heavier than the Z30.
    I guess Blackberry is not concerned in employing plastics used by Samsung, which at least, I am grateful.
    02-08-14 12:39 AM
    The device is housed in plastic frame. No single metal component in it, despite the silver bezel color ..
    The screen has a plaque that lines the underside, and is constructed of metal. That, plus the size of the battery makes it somewhat heavy device.
    Quite Interesting. Wonder what that plaque is meant for... Thanks for checking though!
    02-08-14 08:31 AM
    This should be a Sticky!

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 08:40 AM
    Thank you for sharing and answering everyone's questions. Nice to finally solve the puzzle of the plastic silver bezel

Posted via my Z30
    02-08-14 11:25 AM
    Just replaced my screen using these instructions and it went off without a hitch. Phone looks and feels brand new. Thanks for the instructions, you are a legend. Now I just need to look after my phone better now.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 05:57 PM
    Just replaced my screen using these instructions and it went off without a hitch. Phone looks and feels brand new. Thanks for the instructions, you are a legend. Now I just need to look after my phone better now.

Posted via CB10
    I'm glad the post was useful! Thanks for your comment
    02-11-14 04:32 PM
    Quite Interesting. Wonder what that plaque is meant for... Thanks for checking though!
    The plaque above is there because between the screen itself and the plaque is the digitizer circuit (pictured below, is marked with a red circle). Unfortunately, there is no way to access that connection without destroying the screen, as both components are attached to each other with plastic rivets and adhesive. The plaque gives rigidity to the whole display, and as you can see in the picture below, there are "metal sponge" when the set is assembled, make contact in each of the metal protecting of the motherboard processors. Functionality not know, since I've isolated each of them and the system still works perfectly.

02-11-14 05:40 PM
    thanks for the tips and tricks @chelojavier. I fixed my Z30 in 10 minutes thanks to this info.

Have some pictures of the repair on my instagram.com/c4miel
    03-14-14 03:09 AM
    My guess, the plaque is a dual purpose for rigidity (prevent flexing) and heat sink for the motherboard major components. The "sponges" would allow air flow as well as heat transfer. They'd also help lock the position and alignment of the plate.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 12:33 PM
    I just found out the hard way that the Z30 screen and digitizer replacement on Amazon and ebay will not fit Verizon US model Z30s. The screen from them looks just like the one in the pictures above. The tabs at the bottom are spaced differently and will not fit the Verizon frame. The verizon model has some extra circuitry in the upper right hand corner too.
    I did plug the screen connector in and power it up. It worked perfectly...too bad it wouldn't fit. Ended up just putting my old screen back on and sending an email to the seller.

Very easy screen to replace. Literally a 5 minute job- remove 8 t4 torx screws and one ribbon cable connector. Much easier than I anticipated.

Thanks OP for giving me the confidence boost to try it!
    RafiqK likes this.
    03-17-14 10:50 PM
    I hope this is not imposing on OP's thread. Wanted to clarify that the seller on Amazon swapped my screen and digitizer for the proper Verizon model and I was succesfully able to replace it today with no issues. Great deal for about US$50.
    03-20-14 08:22 PM
    Love that phone and it's great to see it disassembled

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 09:46 PM
    I have not done a screen change, since it did not have any fault. The problem was the original assembly of the phone, which did not allow the display correctly made ​​contact with the motherboard. This motherboard, unlike what we usually see, is not bolted to the back cover of the phone, but works as "floating". Has spring contactors in fontal side touching the screen when fit, and back side of the mother for connecting the antennas and speakers. When the screw press, everything should work perfectly, in my case it did not work properly. Any slight detail in the assembly could cause a system failure. I guess Blackberry did not find another solution for such a slim device with an extreme battery.
    I just broke the screen of my phone and by God am I not incredibly pissed... Haven't had this phone for even a week. Will try replace it as soon as possible, I am however concerned that the screen I found on ebay may not quite work. I remember this happening with the storm 2 as there were multiple models and each had different screens from what I remember. Would you offer an advice for this user having the worst day? Thanks.
    I have an STA 100-5.
    Last edited by Oglon3r; 04-02-14 at 10:00 PM.
    04-02-14 01:16 PM
    Meh here goes nothing I just ordered this one from ebay.
    Based on what Lawrencho stated here;
    I just found out the hard way that the Z30 screen and digitizer replacement on Amazon and ebay will not fit Verizon US model Z30s. The screen from them looks just like the one in the pictures above. The tabs at the bottom are spaced differently and will not fit the Verizon frame. The verizon model has some extra circuitry in the upper right hand corner too.
    I did plug the screen connector in and power it up. It worked perfectly...too bad it wouldn't fit. Ended up just putting my old screen back on and sending an email to the seller.
    :
    I am assuming these screens are for the GSM based models such as the STA 100-1,2,5 and 6 models, given the known internal differences between on the Sprint and Verizon models. For example wireless charging equipment and the different antennas. OP would you please tell us what z30 model you performed this repair on?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Oglon3r; 04-02-14 at 10:25 PM. Reason: sentence structure you grammar nazi
    04-02-14 10:22 PM
    You sir, are a brave man

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 10:26 PM
    Is it easy enough to take apart so I can give the silver a good coat of gunmetal black or Chrome?
    04-03-14 07:07 AM
    Meh here goes nothing I just ordered this one from ebay.
    Based on what Lawrencho stated here;

I am assuming these screens are for the GSM based models such as the STA 100-1,2,5 and 6 models, given the known internal differences between on the Sprint and Verizon models. For example wireless charging equipment and the different antennas. OP would you please tell us what z30 model you performed this repair on?
    Thanks.
    The OP done it on the -2, so the GSM models.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 11:18 AM
113 12345