In reply to the post where the OP didn't know where he was and couldn't figure out why his Blackberry couldn't read his mind, lets focus on what BB maps does and it does it exceptionally well. By the way, if you have been drinking because of the US team's loss to Finland and can't figure out which city you are in you will end up with the wrong destination so don't blame the device...okay, just a little humour.

What BB Maps does that is excellent (and it works in my car too) is that a properly entered address can be found on the map, by simply pressing the contact information in your contacts and it will take you to the address of that contact on BB Maps. Further still, if you press the triangle symbol it will give you immediate directions from your location to the desired destination. Even better, when you have this destination in your outlook calendar and it shows up in your meeting notification, using your finger to press on the address will get you to the map and you can do the same thing, hit the triangle and get your directions, time to destination, etc. Now in the car....this is very cool. Can't say how it works everywhere but here is how BMW synced the contacts. In BMW office contacts, your full contact information shows with address. You can use voice commands, or manually find, the contact. The address is highlighted and by highlighting the address, you can enter it as a destination, immediately. Also if you don't know the address, but know the name of the venue, say Ritz-Carlton, Central Park, you will get it up in addresses using the BB Map. As an aside, Blackberry syncs its emails to the BMW office and they can be read to you, something Apple does not do. All in all Blackberry Maps is great
    02-22-14 07:32 PM
    Nice little write up. I've been using it all along with zero issues. At first I was somewhat ruffled without the presence of BlackBerry traffic that we had on our legacy phones but the transition has been one of gradual adaptation.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 07:36 PM
    I think it works great as well.
    I have a few map apps, and I think the BlackBerry is the one that I like best!

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-22-14 08:07 PM
    No problems here. It works for me and does what it was designed to do. Just used it Thursday after getting turned around during a trip to Seattle. Got me out of a pickle and to my meeting on time.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-22-14 08:11 PM
    I wouldn't say it's great but it's definitely functionable. I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10
    bob_tn and Mel25 like this.
    02-22-14 08:12 PM
    I wouldn't say it's great but it's definitely functionable. I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10
    What would you change to make it great? Traffic info?
    02-22-14 08:15 PM
    Offline maps (at least around the route), smarter POI selection, ETA, trip summary at the end, etc.

Posted via CB10
    dannejanne likes this.
    02-22-14 08:18 PM
    I like it a lot too, but there are some things you need to know to avoid frustration. 1. Setting it to avoid highways can have a infuriating effect when the highway is really just a street. I'm in Los Angeles and I've had this setting guide me around ten blocks of driving to cover what was just a couple blocks down a highway.

2. You have to pay attention when typing an address that has north or south on it. I've typed an address with North Whatever Street, clicked on the first result that appeared, and ended up at South Whatever Street. This is not all BlackBerry Maps' fault, but it's still something to be aware of.

I thought I had a third point, but I don't remember it at the moment. Regardless, BlackBerry Maps is all I've use during the nine months I've had my Z, and I can say that this app has improved a lot. For example, I don't remember being able to do general searches when the Z first came out, but you can now. I'll type something like 'Mexican Restaurants' and it will show me choices. I like BlackBerry Maps and I'm sure it will only get better.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 08:22 PM
    Offline maps (at least around the route), smarter POI selection, ETA, trip summary at the end, etc.

Posted via CB10
    I get ETA and KM to travel and a visual picture on my BB maps. I can get traffic or hide traffic if I want as well. When I hit the list Icon, I get a detailed summary by roadway of my trip....very cool. Are we using the same thing? This is what bothers me about posts, no offence meant, but sometimes not all the features are understood.
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    02-22-14 08:24 PM
    What would you change to make it great? Traffic info?
    I would like to see them implement the "Alternate Routes" option they had in BB Traffic as well as the bar graph view that it had.
    leejayh likes this.
    02-22-14 08:25 PM
    On POI's how do other's use it? Here's what I do, If I want a particular gas station near me, say a Shell Station, I would use that and my general address (city or town) and I get a lot of choices based on my location. If I type Hospitals, it will give me hospitals in my vicinity based on my location. They are marked with a purple symbol that looks like a loop. Pretty good and seems efficient based on the size of the map. Police, Fire, Hospitals, all come up based on your location and the closest one is identified.
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    02-22-14 08:33 PM
    I would like walking directions as well as transit, like with Google Maps.
    Technomotive and 1oo1 like this.
    02-22-14 08:43 PM
    I use it all the time to get to appointments. It is easy to use and the maps are always accurate. I trust the directions. I use the BB bluetooth sun visor speaker and the maps voice broadcasts loudly over it. I have no complaints and can't imagine a better app. I also find the BB map to be good for searching for local points of interest and getting the phone number. I keep no other map app on my phone. I used Waze for a short while, but don't travel enough to make it worthwhile.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    02-22-14 08:46 PM
    I also discarded Waze, no need for it.
    02-22-14 08:48 PM
    Works as good as my tom tom live..

I gave my wife the tom tom and only rely on BlackBerry maps . So far flawless. I'm in the UK and use it most of the time

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-23-14 05:15 AM
    Guys I agree that BlackBerry Maps is really good. I've used it in Canada, Mexico, Turkey, the Netherlands and now Spain (both Madrid & Gran Canaria) since I got my Z10 in February 2013. Not one problem. All the maps were up to to date and the driving directions were pretty much spot on, including enough advance notice to make the turn or exit when necessary.

When I need walking or transit directions, I find BeMaps to work fine as well. But I've noticed that the map display on BlackBerry Maps shows the street names better than BeMaps... meaning that the nearby street names appear at a more relevant zoom level with less scrolling and zooming to get them to appear.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    02-23-14 06:04 AM
    I get ETA and KM to travel and a visual picture on my BB maps. I can get traffic or hide traffic if I want as well. When I hit the list Icon, I get a detailed summary by roadway of my trip....very cool. Are we using the same thing? This is what bothers me about posts, no offence meant, but sometimes not all the features are understood.
    I wondering the same thing here. I mean it is not perfect or as popular an Google but it gets the job done and what more can you ask. Common sense still have to be exercised in everything we do.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 06:11 AM
    I could really use walking directions. When I am wondering around Washington DC, the driving routes are not always the best routes if you are walking.

Alternative routes would be great too.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    1oo1 likes this.
    02-23-14 07:20 AM
    I agree. Haven't had any issues with it

Via CB Rockin Rogers Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141 /2142 Radio
    02-23-14 07:38 AM
    I agree. It's not a copy of Google Maps and doesn't try to be. The integration with contacts, calendar and messaging is fantastic and has made it very easy to find meeting locations.

What I really like though, and what surprised me, was he *excellent* the voice guided navigation is. It does a great job of steering me around traffic and getting me there by the fastest route. Has never steered me wrong, and I love how it warns you of road condition and slowdown issues. "Traffic slows in 1000 feet." pretty awesome!

Oh, and it recalculates the route really fast and seamlessly if you have to take a phone call or something. Pretty amazing software, but it's not designed to do some of the things Google Maps does which is fine by me because it does what I need it to do extremely well.
    02-23-14 08:16 AM
    I agree. It's not a copy of Google Maps and doesn't try to be. The integration with contacts, calendar and messaging is fantastic and has made it very easy to find meeting locations.

What I really like though, and what surprised me, was he *excellent* the voice guided navigation is. It does a great job of steering me around traffic and getting me there by the fastest route. Has never steered me wrong, and I love how it warns you of road condition and slowdown issues. "Traffic slows in 1000 feet." pretty awesome!

Oh, and it recalculates the route really fast and seamlessly if you have to take a phone call or something. Pretty amazing software, but it's not designed to do some of the things Google Maps does which is fine by me because it does what I need it to do extremely well.
    You got it...integration is excellent
    02-23-14 08:34 AM
    BlackBerry Maps is good, and I use it a lot, but it's not quite "excellent" in my opinion. I found the VZ Navigator (made by the same company) on BB7 to be superior. Here's how:

- ability to reroute on the fly
    - point of interest info (configurable as well)
    - more accurate eta estimates (actually factors in traffic)
    - more intelligent search

The search function is the biggest miss in BlackBerry Maps in my view. I'll share a couple of screen shots to illustrate my point. I live a few miles from South Loop Elementary School. Despite knowing my current location (Chicago), BlackBerry Maps presents a match in El Paso, TX first and Farmington, UT second. Then it goes on to present possible matches that are in Chicago.

There's apparently a South Loop Elementary School (exact match on name) in El Paso, but why even start searching that far out to begin with? The search should be based on a radius around my current location. The Utah match isn't even close to what I'm searching for!

Good app but it does need help with search.

My current location :
    Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140223_084721.png

Results of search for South Loop Elementary School:

Blackberry Maps is Excellent-img_20140223_084944.png

Keith H. Posted by CB10 from my Z10.
    Last edited by kthhrrsn; 02-23-14 at 11:54 AM.
    02-23-14 09:01 AM
    I read someone here raving about how good Google Maps is... well... not so much IMHO. It has steered me wrong several times.

Here are 2 examples:

1. Here in Gran Canaria, a couple of days ago, I was looking for the Rustico Restaurant. Friends said it was excellent and gave me walking directions to get there. But Google maps said it was in the opposite direction. I assumed I had misunderstood our friends. So we headed off in the direction provided by Google Maps. Got to where it was marked and there as nothing there. The friends were right.

2. Last summer, in Kelowna BC, we decided to go the Farmers Market. Google Maps steered us to the wrong place, about 3 long blocks away. It wasn't possible to see where the market was from there. Fortunately some friendly folks on the street directed us properly.

There have been several other mistakes bit these are the 2 glaring ones that come to mind.
    02-24-14 04:19 AM
    BlackBerry Maps is good, and I use it a lot, but it's not quite "excellent" in my opinion. I found the VZ Navigator (made by the same company) on BB7 to be superior. Here's how:

- ability to reroute on the fly
    - point of interest info (configurable as well)
    - more accurate eta estimates (actually factors in traffic)
    - more intelligent search

The search function is the biggest miss in BlackBerry Maps in my view. I'll share a couple of screen shots to illustrate my point. I live a few miles from South Loop Elementary School. Despite knowing my current location (Chicago), BlackBerry Maps presents a match in El Paso, TX first and Farmington, UT second. Then it goes on to present possible matches that are in Chicago.

There's apparently a South Loop Elementary School (exact match on name) in El Paso, but why even start searching that far out to begin with? The search should be based on a radius around my current location. The Utah match isn't even close to what I'm searching for!

Good app but it does need help with search.

My current location :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140223_084721.png 
Views:	835 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	250338

Results of search for South Loop Elementary School:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140223_084944.png 
Views:	834 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	250339

Keith H. Posted by CB10 from my Z10.
    Regarding your issues with South Loop Elementary, I had similar issues while looking for Home Depot yesterday not showing me the ones near my location.

I managed to resolve this by first pressing the blue ball in the corner to make the map center on my location (because originally it was not completely centered like in your screen shot) and then I searched and Maps showed me the closest Home Depots.

Can you give that a try to see if that makes your search work any better? I am hoping that does the trick. If it does then it's dumb IMHO that you have to center Maps first when that should be the default action, but hopefully it's better than nothing.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    02-24-14 06:17 AM
    All that the maps need is better location searching and more POI. The search should always start outward from one's location, not just arbitrarily return results.

Posted via CB10
    MelCali82, mjdimer and kthhrrsn like this.
    02-24-14 09:06 AM
74 123