Good Morning Everyone, today is a special day for me as I start my Blackberry Laptop replacement challenge. For starters i own a Z30, Z10 and a Playbook and today i decided to put my Lenovo Laptop aside and try and see if my Z30 can do it all. I hope someone can join me into building this challenge and make the future of BB as an Office Laptop replacement.

Task 1 : Acquire Hardware required to operate.
    - USB to GO ($3)
    - USB HUB ($5)
    - USB Keyboard and Mouse ($20)
    - HDMI Cable. (BlackBerry to Sreen) ($15)

Task 2: Install Software needed to work at the office.
    I am a Systems Administrator so your tools might be different.
    - Skype (Free)
    - 2x Application (Free)
    - SSH (Free)
    - Jira ($0.99/month)
    - TeamViewer (Free)
    - Browser (Included)
    - VPN (Included)
    - Email (Included)

Browser Based Application for my systems:
    Geckoboard.com
    Atllasian.com
    NewRelic.com
    Boundary.com
    StatusCake.com

Things that I don't have
    Solar Winds Monitoring10
    Custom Windows Application build around our system

Ok less tecky stuff and come back to BlackBerry. So I instantly noticed one problem with this setup, I cannot charge my decive while connected to the USB to GO. The Portrait Mode only on my Home Screen is making me a bit crazy switching back and fort between applications.
    The second thing is "if the transitions" are like the Playbook personally i think multi tasking would be a lot better to manage.

While i am not short on apps since i am running the 10.2.1 leak, I did notce that running a lot of Android Apps is slowing down my device a bit, I mean a word a second bit, it's lagging and not super fast.

Screen Resolution.... well compared to my Laptop Display Port I am a bit compressed i must say. But it's until you get used to it. I had to change the browser to Desktop Mode to get a decent view on my screen. Believe or not the worst app running is Skype, it's draining the battery like mad the rest is fine especially RDP or SSH you will not even notice you areon your mobile, it's fast, fluent and works like a perfect desktop.

Sorry for the long post but there is a lot to cover and i still have more to come.

Positives:
    -Working on my desk, went out for a coffee and continued on the road not even thought about it, I just walked out.
    -It's cheap compared to a Laptop if this works.
    -It's a BlackBerry you know you're safe.
    - 75% of Apps that i need are available on the road.

Cons:
    - Screen Resolution
    - Laggy once you run a bit the of Android Apps
    - Orientation of Home Screen
    - Not all my apps are available.
    - No Split Screen / Multi Task is not as comfortable as the Playbook.
    - If you use the USB to GO, you cannot charge it.
    - Scrolling a long page is slow since there is no side bar to drag.

* My next Task is to acquire Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse to free the USB so i can plug it in. I will keep updating this post with more pros and cons

That's it for today
    Last edited by KCAlpha; 01-21-14 at 03:46 AM.
    divakar, limabo, ghundiraj and 3 others like this.
    01-21-14 03:35 AM
    If I could only install BB10 to my Lenovo Y410P...

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 03:54 AM
    Good luck, I'll be following this so update often. ^-^

-Posted from CB10 via Z10-
    KCAlpha likes this.
    01-21-14 04:01 AM
    The home screen is a real shame, I use my Z30 as an *almost* desktop replacement, it's not too bad on a HDMI screen as you don't have to constantly flip the device about etc.

What I would LOVE to see come is a "desktop mode", turning BB10 into a desktop friendly environment when you choose to.

Also, Docs to Go could do with some work

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 04:12 AM
    I completely agree, it needs a desktop mode. If i am not mistaken there was a Fuse mode which is still in the clouds but someone mentioned it to be a desktop assistant. But not on the device it's more like a mirror on your Laptop so not what i actually wish for Also back in i think June there was a company working on a plastic laptop called Casetop, all this will make it a super reality. But i agree we need that Desktop mode or at least the ALL LANDSCAPE mode ,
    01-21-14 05:26 AM
    Interesting thanks for sharing.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:09 AM
    Good Morning Everyone, today is a special day for me as I start my Blackberry Laptop replacement challenge. For starters i own a Z30, Z10 and a Playbook and today i decided to put my Lenovo Laptop aside and try and see if my Z30 can do it all. I hope someone can join me into building this challenge and make the future of BB as an Office Laptop replacement.

Task 1 : Acquire Hardware required to operate.
    - USB to GO ($3)
    - USB HUB ($5)
    - USB Keyboard and Mouse ($20)
    - HDMI Cable. (BlackBerry to Sreen) ($15)

Task 2: Install Software needed to work at the office.
    I am a Systems Administrator so your tools might be different.
    - Skype (Free)
    - 2x Application (Free)
    - SSH (Free)
    - Jira ($0.99/month)
    - TeamViewer (Free)
    - Browser (Included)
    - VPN (Included)
    - Email (Included)

Browser Based Application for my systems:
    Geckoboard.com
    Atllasian.com
    NewRelic.com
    Boundary.com
    StatusCake.com

Things that I don't have
    Solar Winds Monitoring10
    Custom Windows Application build around our system

Ok less tecky stuff and come back to BlackBerry. So I instantly noticed one problem with this setup, I cannot charge my decive while connected to the USB to GO. The Portrait Mode only on my Home Screen is making me a bit crazy switching back and fort between applications.
    The second thing is "if the transitions" are like the Playbook personally i think multi tasking would be a lot better to manage.

While i am not short on apps since i am running the 10.2.1 leak, I did notce that running a lot of Android Apps is slowing down my device a bit, I mean a word a second bit, it's lagging and not super fast.

Screen Resolution.... well compared to my Laptop Display Port I am a bit compressed i must say. But it's until you get used to it. I had to change the browser to Desktop Mode to get a decent view on my screen. Believe or not the worst app running is Skype, it's draining the battery like mad the rest is fine especially RDP or SSH you will not even notice you areon your mobile, it's fast, fluent and works like a perfect desktop.

Sorry for the long post but there is a lot to cover and i still have more to come.

Positives:
    -Working on my desk, went out for a coffee and continued on the road not even thought about it, I just walked out.
    -It's cheap compared to a Laptop if this works.
    -It's a BlackBerry you know you're safe.
    - 75% of Apps that i need are available on the road.

Cons:
    - Screen Resolution
    - Laggy once you run a bit the of Android Apps
    - Orientation of Home Screen
    - Not all my apps are available.
    - No Split Screen / Multi Task is not as comfortable as the Playbook.
    - If you use the USB to GO, you cannot charge it.
    - Scrolling a long page is slow since there is no side bar to drag.

* My next Task is to acquire Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse to free the USB so i can plug it in. I will keep updating this post with more pros and cons

That's it for today
    That's a great challenge! I use my Playbook with my Z30 bridged. I also have my Playbook hooked up to a bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth Microsoft micro mouse. Plus my micro HDMI cable. When at the office or working from my home office both my Playbook and Z30 have 2x client installed so I have complete access to my work programs. Works great on the road with my Z30. I haven't used my laptop outside of the office for a long time just use the Z30 and PlayBook.
    The Blackberry Laptop Challenge 2014-518002337211259440_250379901.jpg

Posted Via my Z-30
    Uzi, limabo and KCAlpha like this.
    01-21-14 09:17 AM
    What they really need is support for a "second monitor," so to speak, allowing you to run one application (or more than one) on one screen, such as an HDMI output, and another on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 10:05 AM
    I've been doing this for months now.

Here is my observations.

1) besides BlackBerry presentation, there is lacking functionality in docs to go Powerpoint which allows me to use my logitech presenter tool to flip the slides. BlackBerry presenter allows me to and son does slides how for photos somewhat but docs to go does not. They need to fix this.

2) there is no way to create pdf's on your handheld native. You need to do it online. Kind of sucks as some clients will frown on this as the perception is its not secure.

3) access with out built-in browser to other FTP secure sites does not work. You can log in and put your password but it won't open up the folder for you to access or deposit files. The work around is to use Dropbox or Box but that's cumbersome.

The rest of my work flow the BlackBerry can do quite well.

For periferals I have a BlackBerry mini keyboard, full size apple keyboard, dell mini bluetooth mouse, usb to to cable with a hub and photo card reader, Sony IM 10 miracast dongle.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted via CB10
    KCAlpha likes this.
    01-21-14 10:10 AM
    [QUOTE=KCAlpha;9880896] I cannot charge my decive while connected to the USB to GO.
    /QUOTE]

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : CY U2-165-BK Micro USB Male to USB Female w/ USB Male OTG Cable - Black (15cm)

You just need to get a Y cable. Micro USB Male to USB Female w/ USB Male OTG $5
    01-21-14 12:29 PM
    If we could get an updated tablet, something that is as smooth at a bb10 device I think this would be a lot easier.

Good luck! If you can do it as a systems admin a lot more of us should be able to do it!
    01-21-14 07:44 PM
    Great topic, I was just mentioning this to a co-worker today. BlackBerry phone replaces laptop, how sweet it will be.

Couldn't you also use a wireless charging pad? I just got mine today, love it.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 08:42 PM
    This is interesting. Will be reading this thread if indeed you can make it through

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.0.415
    01-21-14 09:07 PM
    Doing this tomorrow but with a q10.

I am going to use a square 20 inch to match the q10's ratio.

I have a net gear miracast dongle but I don't like the slight lag. Hdmi to dvi and a audio jack to speakers for this guy.

No blue tooth mouse and keyboard, just a USB hub and a wired combo.

From my big dirty Z30
    01-21-14 09:30 PM
    A square monitor and the Q10 seems reasonable, my only worry on the Z's was the home screen doesn't have a landscape view.

01-21-14 09:32 PM
    This is kinda neat! Sounds like it's holiday up pretty well so far! Personally, my phone is an accessory to my computer. I don't think we're at the point where it can be a replacement just yet

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 09:44 PM
    [QUOTE=tekware;9882490]
    I cannot charge my decive while connected to the USB to GO.
    /QUOTE]

Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more : CY U2-165-BK Micro USB Male to USB Female w/ USB Male OTG Cable - Black (15cm)

You just need to get a Y cable. Micro USB Male to USB Female w/ USB Male OTG $5
    What about a powered USB hub?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 09:53 PM
    [QUOTE=irwindersra;9884534]

What about a powered USB hub?

Posted via CB10

Nope. The Z30 will just see the stuff plugged into the hub if you use the OTG cable. I've used a powered hub with a USB mouse, keyboard, and flash drive. Keep meaning to see what it does with my USB DVD burner. It doesn't charge that way though. You need the Y cable I linked to above for that.
    01-22-14 12:04 AM
    A square monitor and the Q10 seems reasonable, my only worry on the Z's was the home screen doesn't have a landscape view.

Exactly, that's why the q10 is better for this application imo

From my big dirty Z30
    01-22-14 12:27 PM
    It will have problem with battery charging
    As I remember, even OTG cable connected to power supplied USB hub, It will not charge the battery and will drain average 70mA

Unless you have Verizon version so you can do wireless charging

Posted via CB10 on my sexy white Z30
    01-22-14 03:28 PM
    Okay, an update. My OTG Y cable finally arrived today and I went to pick it up. We tested it in the store, and while it works fine as an OTG cable, it does not charge the Z30. Much to my annoyance, it did charge the computer store guy's Samsung Galaxy (don't ask me which one). He was amused, and it was a shame since both the guys in the store wanted to know what the phone I was holding was. They thought it looked awesome - until it didn't do something that theirs did without even trying. From what I've read, the Z30 from Verizon is the only Z30 that has wireless charging and it will not charge that way when an OTG cable is plugged into it. This appears to be a kernel issue, and it's something that BlackBerry needs to address, especially since other phones can charge and do OTG at the same time.
    Last edited by tekware; 01-22-14 at 09:29 PM.
    01-22-14 09:09 PM
    Drats!

My work around is to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. That way i can charge and continue to work.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 10:53 PM
    One thing I often use is Remote Desktop. It's a little bit like cheating while trying to replace the noebook by the Z10/Z30, but because of the build-in secure connection to the BES, it works like a charm without the need to setup VPN like on a notebook. (I access multiple TS, that are connected via IPSec to my gateway. Because of that routing, I only have to click on the target and can proceed...easier and faster than on notebook).

So: BT Mouse and Keyboard, Screen via HDMI, ready to work.

Next Try-Out-Scenario will be a Citrix-Installation with Citrix-Receiver on the device and Streaming apps. Maybe that will solve the lack of any application and still without any "Client"-configuration to get access and get work done. That will be the next step off my mobile-computing expirience :-)
    01-23-14 03:02 AM
    The Q10 experiment that i said i was going to do on Monday isnt moving forward too quickly.

I have decided that I will use an empty playbook box (I have many of them available to me) and a gutted Playbook rapid charging dock to make: A Q10 Media Dock. The Q10 will sit sideways on the rapid charging dock and plug into hdmi and usb. The Playbook box will house all the stuff.

Right now im in the planning stage of figuring out what parts will fit well and where. Then I will goto the shop and get the missing connectors and adapters i will need to make this Playbook box a Q10 docking station that will:

Output the Q10 video to DVI. I chose DVI because the I want to use a square monitor and most square monitors are older and are DVI-equipped. Its works better for the Q10 because of its only portrait orientation too. I have chosen not to go with miracast because of price and lag. This is more of a office desktop setup anyway, not a living room setup where miracast is great.

Output actual sound. I am going to use a free speaker that i got in a case of beer. Surprising sound quality. I may use a Blackberry music gateway to get to that speaker via bluetooth. Plug that into a powered usb hub for power.

USB Hub or 2. Side-unit plug in slots in the playbook box and possibly two out of the top.

As i understand it. The Q10 will not get charged while in usb mode so I will try to plug a Q10 battery pack kit to the USB hub and always have a full battery available.

The Blackberry Laptop Challenge 2014-img_20140123_185907.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails The Blackberry Laptop Challenge 2014-img_20140123_185907.jpg  
    01-23-14 06:23 PM
    I've been doing this for months now.

Here is my observations.

1) besides BlackBerry presentation, there is lacking functionality in docs to go Powerpoint which allows me to use my logitech presenter tool to flip the slides. BlackBerry presenter allows me to and son does slides how for photos somewhat but docs to go does not. They need to fix this.

2) there is no way to create pdf's on your handheld native. You need to do it online. Kind of sucks as some clients will frown on this as the perception is its not secure.

3) access with out built-in browser to other FTP secure sites does not work. You can log in and put your password but it won't open up the folder for you to access or deposit files. The work around is to use Dropbox or Box but that's cumbersome.

The rest of my work flow the BlackBerry can do quite well.

For periferals I have a BlackBerry mini keyboard, full size apple keyboard, dell mini bluetooth mouse, usb to to cable with a hub and photo card reader, Sony IM 10 miracast dongle.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted via CB10
    Can you post a link to the logitech presenter you are using?

Also about USB OTG, can you still not charge even with a Y adapter?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 11:36 PM
29 12