Go download the Kindle app right now and then change the brightness in the app to the highest brightness possible. This works on 10.3.0.700 not sure if it does on the other OS's. Compare the brightness through the native controls and the app by looking at the hub normally and then when adjusting the brightness in the app, peek into the hub to keep the settings. It's SUCH a big change, BlackBerry is holding back honestly because this thing gets as bright as the Z10 it's ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:35 PM
    Thanks for the heads up,
    08-12-14 10:37 PM
    Heck lock your phone meanwhile the Kindle app is running and you can see the brightness on the lock screen. It's so great.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:41 PM
    They hold the brightness back to extend the battery life. They don't want to have the same problem as they have with the Z10's short battery life .

Posted via CB10 using my Z30.
    Blacklatino and DYLANHABKIRK like this.
    08-12-14 10:42 PM
    Yup, I tweeted Michael clewley about this a few months ago and he never replied. Maybe someone can make an app that accesses the screen brightness so we can turn it up to max. Or maybe BlackBerry should just let us have the option in an update.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    08-12-14 10:47 PM
    Yup, I tweeted Michael clewley about this a few months ago and he never replied. Maybe someone can make an app that accesses the screen brightness so we can turn it up to max. Or maybe BlackBerry should just let us have the option in an update.

Seriously and make it run headless or even in an active frame so that the display remains the brightest as possible. Would be great. As for Battery Life, it's really remarkable as is so just giving the option to test out would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:52 PM
    Is there a reason to have your phone on full brightness ?
    08-12-14 11:14 PM
    Yes. Images seems to look better. Colors are more vibrant. Even the icons looks like floating on the screen especially on black background.
    08-12-14 11:25 PM
    That's a joke, right?
    08-12-14 11:52 PM
    That's a joke, right?
    Obviously not. My friends using iPhones have their brightness on the lowest lvl. Same as me. Using it on full brightness is fine, but it kills my battery like there's no tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 12:25 AM
    They hold the brightness back to extend the battery life. They don't want to have the same problem as they have with the Z10's short battery life .
    That should be the customer's choice though. If a person wants to save battery life then they can turn down the screen while people who don't care as much can enjoy a brighter screen. It is well known by most people that turning down the screen will save battery life. There is no need for BlackBerry to force everyone to use a dimmer screen because those people will turn down the brightness on their own.
    raino and lift like this.
    08-13-14 12:50 AM
    Using my phone in bright sunlight is one example. As mentioned by others it's a personal preference because I like my screen brighter and not dull looking. The Z30's battery life is long enough that I'm willing to give up some of the battery life to get a brighter screen.
    08-13-14 01:03 AM
    Go download the Kindle app right now and then change the brightness in the app to the highest brightness possible. This works on 10.3.0.700 not sure if it does on the other OS's. Compare the brightness through the native controls and the app by looking at the hub normally and then when adjusting the brightness in the app, peek into the hub to keep the settings. It's SUCH a big change, BlackBerry is holding back honestly because this thing gets as bright as the Z10 it's ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    So true. Whomever is holding this ability back should be let go from BlackBerry. I would definitely considering getting a Z30 if the BB10 brightness controls were fixed.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-13-14 01:23 AM

Wow. That goes to show the old BlackBerry mentality is alive and well. Hopefully Chen can clean house in time.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    blackburberry and Blacklatino like this.
    08-13-14 01:25 AM
    The dullness of my Q10 is the main reason I won't get a Z30. That screen would drive me nuts. My Z10 is so bright n sharp and vibrant I love it. I'm glad the passport isn't like the Z30 and Q10 screen.
    Blacklatino and Vector-SS like this.
    08-13-14 01:47 AM
    I run my 30 on "full" brightness with great battery life. I think it's just right.

Posted via CB10
    byex likes this.
    08-13-14 02:38 AM
    Oh guys it's easy download any android launcher, and access the settings u can get the brightness up to the max, and u can access other settings like fake location etc...

Send from my Q10 in Duracell Mode
    08-13-14 02:54 AM
    Sorry I have to say that, but not everything is consumer's choice. Everyone would complain about bad battery life. BlackBerry is trying to find the best settings for the devices to perform best.
    Complaining about that is stupid.
    twirlyboy likes this.
    08-13-14 04:04 AM
    Please do keep in mind that there is another good reason why OLED screens, such as in the Q10 and Z30, are typically driven dim by default:

Current "Organic Light Emitting Diodes" burn out with use -- the blue segments in particular have a limited lifespan.

Brighter screen = more powerdrain = more heat = wear on materials = reduced per-subpixel efficiency, leaving any bright iconography, that is (almost) always static on screen, "burned in"; So that e.g. you'll see the shapes of the phone, search, and camera icons at the bottom, as a dark shadow over any view that does not include them.
    This is not like the image retention you can get with LCD displays, which you can often recover from, with moderate success and patience -- the OLEDs wind up "spent".

If you don't mind, and regard the device as a rather short-lived disposable commodity, or only ever have the screen on for very short periods of time, or always have moving imagery on every part of it, then by all means; crank it up to 11.
    If you intend to hold onto it for a while, however, it may pay to be a little more conservative.
    08-13-14 04:32 AM
    To the topic starter, how did the brightness adjust? I downloaded the amazon kindle app and nothing happened..

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 09:18 AM
    To the topic starter, how did the brightness adjust? I downloaded the amazon kindle app and nothing happened..

Posted via CB10
    Drag two fingers up and down the screen with the app open on a book.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 09:35 AM
    The issue with the Z30 is that the colors are not bright. Now my screen with full brightness can give me a headache because then it's like a light bulb. It does look good with full brightness though, but it kills the battery and my eyes.
    I always wanted my Z30 to have a note 3 screen quality, it would be so beautiful!
    Can't wait for that passport!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 10:02 AM
    I meant to say "vivid" the Z30 doesn't have vivid colors

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 10:04 AM
    I have no book yet, and it seems that its all paid

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 10:11 AM
    I have no book yet, and it seems that its all paid

Posted via CB10
    Plenty of free ones on Amazon. Anything out of copyright should be.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 10:16 AM
48 12