Hi all,

Any suggestions for apps to stream media I have stored on my home NAS?

I have a media player on my Playbook that does this, but it's slow and well, using the Playbook after getting used to BB10 is really quite hard.

No suggestions like Plex that involve installing a program on my pc please. I like to shut down my pc at night, but still want to stream media while laying in bed.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    10-01-14 10:42 PM
    I've found that ES File Explorer is the best bet for network (SMB, FTP, etc) access. It can create the SMB connection to the NAS and use its built in player, or pass it back to the native file player (in some cases).

Sometimes I just copy the file I want to view from the NAS to the device and watch it locally, again, ES File Explorer has been the best route for me.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-01-14 11:22 PM
    I'll give that one a try. I saw it while browsing the blackberry world.

I'm going to try and avoid copying, just because I'd hate to have to do that on a regular basis.

Lately, I've been putting my Digital Copy of movies on the drive. And want to see if I can stream it.

Last night I tried browsing photos from my nas to my Playbook, and it was terrible. I'll have to check what I use. Videos are ok, but photos practically loaded as slow as videos.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    10-02-14 11:47 AM
    I have remote file access enabled in BB Link that allows me to access all my network files. I just find the movie I want to watch via the BB file manager and watch through the BB video app. Nothing special required. I'm using my new Passport for almost everything, but when my wife and kids have all the TV's in use, I'll pick up my old Z30 to watch something. Easy peasy.
    Carl Estes and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-02-14 05:10 PM
    I have remote file access enabled in BB Link that allows me to access all my network files. I just find the movie I want to watch via the BB file manager and watch through the BB video app. Nothing special required. I'm using my new Passport for almost everything, but when my wife and kids have all the TV's in use, I'll pick up my old Z30 to watch something. Easy peasy.
    And will Link still work with the computer turned off?

FYI, I use a dlink 320l with Alt-F installed, running Mini DLNA service and it works fine to my Android phones and tablets. Depending on your NAS, you might be able to use the stock firmware or use a third party FW like me.
    10-02-14 05:29 PM
    And will Link still work with the computer turned off?

FYI, I use a dlink 320l with Alt-F installed, running Mini DLNA service and it works fine to my Android phones and tablets. Depending on your NAS, you might be able to use the stock firmware or use a third party FW like me.
    My NAS is on the network, not on my PC. So whether a PC is on or off makes no difference. If it was simply an external drive attached to a PC, I wouldn't call it network-attached storage. I assumed that's what the OP was referring to when he said NAS.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-02-14 05:45 PM
    OP is looking for a way to access NAS (Network Attached Storage) files, and stated "no suggestions like Plex that involve installing a program on my pc please."

Link requires a PC. Yes, you could use Link to access a NAS share, but it would still require 1) a PC, and 2) The PC to be on.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-02-14 07:07 PM
    Finally found the ES File Explorer. I knew I remembered seeing it, but couldn't find it in the BlackBerry World store. Turns out I had seen it in the Amazon store. Seems to work pretty well. Thanks for the info.

And ya, I'd considered the BB Link, but from what I understand, I need my pc on for that to work. And I don't think I can install it directly into the NAS.

Personally, I have a WD Live. It's annoys me that for BBOS 7, they had a WD 2go app for accessing files while off the network. But nothing for BB10.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    10-02-14 10:29 PM
    Please give "GoodPlayer" app a free try, it is on BlackBerry World now.
    11-19-14 09:47 AM
    I just use either a Seagate Satellite wifi ext. drive (which holds all my music/videos), or the Sandisk wifi drive. No pc running, and they turn off by them selves when I fall asleep.....
    11-19-14 10:20 AM
    Just tried Goodplayer and after it crashing 3 times within 2 minutes have removed it

Posted via CB10
    12-02-14 12:01 PM
    Just tried Goodplayer and after it crashing 3 times within 2 minutes have removed it

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, that's a shame.

I like the ES Explorer, but find the media player minimal.

I also use ES Explorer on my Dell venue 7 tablet that I just bought. The program doesn't seem to be able to play mpg though. Not sure if there's something that will play ANYthing.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    12-02-14 02:45 PM
    Media blast in BBW seems to work, but to play full videos they want �7 which seems a bit steep to me

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 07:19 PM
    Try the app Net Explorer and Media Player (aka Net Shares FE), I have used this in the past with success.

If your NAS supports FTP/SFTP you can use PlayCloud which is pretty nice. I haven't played videos with it over FTP before though, so I don't know if it supports streaming or requires you to download it first.
    12-16-14 09:23 PM
    KalemSoft Media Player supports DLNA streaming.

Regards,
    KalemSoft
    01-23-15 03:19 AM