I have had my z30 for 6 months now after upgrading from z10 and love it especially the battery life. I have noticed that every so often the battery drops very quickly and the monitor shows it's bbm causing the problem. Today it has been using 38% so I am now down to 42% when it would normally be around 70. I don't use bbm at all and have no friends listed in it. Would like to delete it but it's not possible.

Does anyone know what causes this sudden battery loss from bbm when it is not in use. Normally a couple of reboots sorts it but it's a pain if you don't spot it in time.

Thanks jan
    09-14-14 01:58 PM
    Yeah, it is a pain. It's happened to me twice in 3 months and I've never ever used BBM. Just wish you could shrink it out like in the good old days with BBOS.

Many others have reported this issue and so far there is no fix for it. Only a reset.

Perhaps it will get sorted in 10.3.1

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" Get's a Ten from Fen.
    09-14-14 02:09 PM
    Thanks thought it was just me. It's annoying when I don't even use it. On fifth reset tonight and it's still not cleared it. I also noticed from virtual expert monitor bbm is downloading and uploading big amounts of data, , 31.6mb downloaded and 10.8 uploaded. Good job it's on wifi
    09-14-14 02:13 PM
    Any suggestions folks, usually a couple of reboots resets bbm, but not this time. Have rebooked and turned off ten times now but no joy, it's still using 38% of my battery.
    09-14-14 03:01 PM
    Any suggestions folks, usually a couple of reboots resets bbm, but not this time. Have rebooked and turned off ten times now but no joy, it's still using 38% of my battery.
    If your situation is that you have BBM configured but are not using it as a messenger then I would say that it's likely it's polling your contacts or location, etc..something I do not enable on initial config and I've never had this issue either.

Just a wild guess what are the common denominators between those of you that are having issues? Facebook app or something similar talking back and forth with BBM maybe?

If you have not even associated BBM with your BB id then I don't have a likely scenario.
    09-14-14 04:01 PM
    I don't have this problem at all!. BBM uses cell data or a WiFi connection. I typically turn off my wifi connection when I'm not surfing because the wifi will eat up battery life. If you go into settings, Device monitor, then scroll down to BBM you can see if the app is still running the % of usage by the Battery, CPU, Memory, Mobile Usage, and Wifi-usage that the app is using and there is even a close app option presented right there. Check it out.
    09-14-14 05:56 PM
    If your situation is that you have BBM configured but are not using it as a messenger then I would say that it's likely it's polling your contacts or location, etc..something I do not enable on initial config and I've never had this issue either.

Just a wild guess what are the common denominators between those of you that are having issues? Facebook app or something similar talking back and forth with BBM maybe?

If you have not even associated BBM with your BB id then I don't have a likely scenario.
    In my case, I have not even opened BBM to set it up as I do not intend to ever use it.

Just haven't got a clue what kicks it off. As I stated before, it's only happened twice in three months but it's very annoying.

09-14-14 06:40 PM
    Thanks thought it was just me. It's annoying when I don't even use it. On fifth reset tonight and it's still not cleared it. I also noticed from virtual expert monitor bbm is downloading and uploading big amounts of data, , 31.6mb downloaded and 10.8 uploaded. Good job it's on wifi
    Jan, when you say "reset", are you holding both volume buttons down simultaneously until the start logo appears? About 25 seconds.

09-14-14 07:16 PM
    This has been reported many times. My experience seems similar to that of many others : if you are in a low signal environment, there's a good chance bbm and PIM services will spike significantly, and continue to do so even after you get a good signal back. The only solution I've found is to reset or to completely turn the phone off for about 15 minutes. Even then, after you turn it back on it can still take a while to settle.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 08:53 PM
    hi all I don't use bbm and don't have it associated to anything. in desperation last night I just went to bed and stuck it on charge. this morning it all seems to have sorted itself over night. as the previous poster states it happens intermittently and you only notice when your battery life starts shooting down. the Z30 is normally so good with battery life that you notice it when it happens. thanks to all for your replies. lets hope blackberry sort this one out as it does seem a problem for a few of us, or give us the option to delete it.
    09-15-14 12:28 AM
    I've been experiencing this issue for the past week on my Z30. It seems it only happens in the mornings. I do reset and it seems fine for the rest of the day.

This issue started shortly after the latest VZW OS update and BBM update. I installed the two updates either on the same day or within a day of each other. Don't know if either update caused it.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon because it is annoying.
    09-16-14 09:39 AM
    I think the BBM has been updates for the 10.3 os ( there was an update a few days back), guess it might be a glitch when running on the 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 02:08 PM
    Not sure about that. Mine didn't start doing this until 10.3

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 07:18 AM
    I've been experiencing this issue for the past week on my Z30. It seems it only happens in the mornings. I do reset and it seems fine for the rest of the day.

This issue started shortly after the latest VZW OS update and BBM update. I installed the two updates either on the same day or within a day of each other. Don't know if either update caused it.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon because it is annoying.
    My wife's Z30 on VZW is exactly the same scenario, only started after this last update of the phone and BBM.

My Q10 has done it off and on since I got it, always when I was in a bad reception area for while. A screenshot/hard reset always fixes it so far.

I since updated my Q to .1156 or whatever the new leak is, and I have not had that problem, but it only showed up occasionally before, so it may show up again.
    09-17-14 08:54 AM
    Thinking back, the last time it happened to me, I had been in a bad reception area all day but I didn't collate the two issues.

It hasn't happened again since the last small BBM update.

Although I don't use it, I decided to update BBM anyway to see if it cured the problem.

09-17-14 09:06 AM