The Z30 is a beaut. The screen, the feel, the build quality, the performance. All of it is stellar. There is absolutely NO lag and NO stutter (by which I mean the issue with even how some powerful devices don't properly synchronize their scrolling with screen refresh so the screen looks "stuttery" when scrolling, but that isn't an issue on the Z30).

But there are some issues:

1) The device is longer so when I hold it in my hand where the centre of gravity on the Z10 was lower so it didn't feel like it was going to tip out of my hand (from being 'top heavy') the Z30 does suffer from this a bit: if the device was slightly heavier at the bottom this probably wouldn't be an issue.

2) It's hard to reach the top-left-most icon on the Home screen with just the thumb. BB10 was designed for one thumb operation, but maybe it goes without saying that you have to give that up on a larger screen, but there are solutions for that too: for starters, make an option where you can have your home screen icons BOTTOM justified, instead of "top" justified... then put the icons you need most on the BOTTOM and the ones you use less higher up.

3) The BB10 standard for, for example, the "Compose a Message" window is to have the Cancel button at the top-left of the screen, as far away as possible to prevent accidental data loss, and the Save or Send button at the top right corner of the screen... well, the can't be reached at all way out there, so I'd suggest for the Z30, perhaps it should be adjustable for left or right handed one hand operation, and keep the Cancel button way up there, but maybe put the Send button at the opposite side... if you're right handed, put the send button at the bottom LEFT corner so you aren't going to hit it accidentally but it's not directly in the way.

I could even suggest an option to change the power button on the top of the device to be press once to switch between one-handed and two-handed operation, and then press and hold to lock or put it to sleep.

That is my experience using the Z30 for about a day now, while I wait for my unlock code to arrive, but I thought it would be great if there was a topic under the Z30 with suggestions for OS changes that could make one handed operation a bit easier.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    10-22-13 05:36 PM
    Nice 1st impression! I've got big hands, myself. Ergonomically I find the Z10 just the right size for me, in comparison my GS3 forces me to stretch my thumb to swipe the password. (I'd love to be able to swipe a password on my Z10 instead of punching the keyboard) I could picture the stretch to reach that 'send' icon. Visually, any larger size screen is better at this pixel depth.
    10-22-13 05:54 PM
    Another thing I noticed but it's not exclusive to the Z30... Any app (BBM is one of them) that has the keyboard cover the action bar requires two hands to get the keyboard out of the way... unless there is another way to dismiss the keyboard to get to the back button that is otherwise covered by the keyboard.

I notice because in BBM for android when the keyboard pops up the action bar moves up to be positioned above the keyboard, which makes me wonder why it doesn't work that way of the native BBM version.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 07:19 PM
    Press and hold the space bar and the keyboard disappears been this way since the start you can also do the two finger down swipe but for one handed use press the space bar.

If you look at the space bar there is even a symbol showing the keyboard going down.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt, JMDBERRY and RyanGermann like this.
    10-22-13 07:27 PM
    Press and hold the space bar and the keyboard disappears been this way since the start you can also do the two finger down swipe but for one handed use press the space bar

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for that tip!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 07:29 PM
    No problem one of the things I love about BB10 often multiple way to do simple tasks

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 08:32 PM