Not sure why Bbry would do that...waited a week till Telus let it out of the bag...have 2 ea Z30's...working perfectly on both..? both updates via OTA (WiFi). I did read here yesterday that Telus themselves were coming out with a newer version...but so far have seen nothing.?
    stk
    Friday BlackBerry issued a specific document that 10.3.1 update renders the screen black. It responds to gestures but immediately after a reboot of the installation you cannot see anything.

5 different sites at work returned 15+ on Friday along nothing you do eve SIC Multi wipe and red stalling official or leaked 10.2.1 resolves this not even a leaked or official 10.3.1 instead of or after the full wipe and install of 10.2.1.

Check BlackBerry.com/btsc.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:51 PM
    I wish you all success!

Posted via CB10
    This will not work. Trust me.

It went just fine on my Z30, Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267! On Bell.

Still nothing you can do. The screen responds just nothing displayed. Micro to full HDMI works but figuring out what touch pinpoints what input is a bit amusing, only at first

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 11:53 PM
    I guess I can calm down with Check For Updates on my Z30 that I've been hitting compulsively since February 19....

Posted via CB10
    dbugem and heading4tomorrow like this.
    03-05-15 02:53 AM
    My Z30 did the blank screen thing while it was on charge. It was charged to 100 per cent and while the charger was still plugged in I rebooted. It shut down fine but never saw an illuminated screen on boot up. Just black. Was still under warranty. Running perfectly now though on official 2243.
    03-05-15 04:50 AM
    Battery life hasn't been the best for me with official 10.3.1 on the Z30.
    03-05-15 05:07 AM
    Ive loaded all the leaks over the past few months and my Beast runs better with each new leak loaded mine is a Verizon. dont wait load a leak using a autoloader cant get any easier
    This makes the most sense of anyone I've read yet throughout this 10.3.1 rollout!I have been saying this all along. but does anyone listen? No. (Just like at home!)
    bluegreen1965 and dbugem like this.
    03-05-15 06:39 AM
    I think the 10.3 update also updated a firmware chip that controls screen or power.

Posted on my now almost useless z30 that won't wake up
    If some people are reporting that they can get the screen to turn on if the battery is almost completely charged, or if the phone is connected to a charger (a higher amperage unit?), wouldn't it make sense there's a setting or line of code in the in the software that shuts off the screen to save it's driver from being cooked as current increases when the voltage drops on a wattage operated device but the level is set to high for it to turn back on until it's almost fully charged?

I wonder if the first available firmware (earliest date) for the device might be the best option to start with.
    03-05-15 07:28 AM
    So far my Z30 is doing good. The only issue I am trying to resolve is the bluetooth's on and off connection with my Nissan car.
    03-05-15 07:53 AM
    I tried to reload the os yesterday to resolve the spinning rotation issue as recommended by a member here in another post.

After an hour the phone rebooted with a downgraded 10.2. Then I saw this thread! What a bummer! A real backward move going back to 10.2. I can't upload leaks as I use Apple Macs.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:17 AM
    Sorry for those who have had bad experiences. I updated last week and my phone is working flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:21 AM
    . I can't upload leaks as I use Apple Macs.

Posted via CB10
    Just not true !!!!!
    03-05-15 08:25 AM
    Please explain how and I'll try it asap!!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:48 AM
    I've taken a massive hit on data usage since I installed the Rogers official 10.3.1 OTA. Anyone else find their data usage is up with no apparent reason why?
    03-05-15 08:53 AM
    First the carrier told me, that bb stopped rolling out.
    than bb support confirmed that.

Most of our Z30 run fine with 10.3.1 (mine too). The earlier leaked Verisons ran well too.
    Now we have 2 "dead" Z30 (not sure if that happened after battery drain) and a few laggy and battery draining devices.

A new Update ist expected "for the next days"...
    We have five z30s in our organization, and one of them has had this happen.

Z30 STA100-5 on OS 10.3.1.2267 / SR 10.3.1.1581
    03-05-15 08:58 AM
    If some people are reporting that they can get the screen to turn on if the battery is almost completely charged, or if the phone is connected to a charger (a higher amperage unit?), wouldn't it make sense there's a setting or line of code in the in the software that shuts off the screen to save it's driver from being cooked as current increases when the voltage drops on a wattage operated device but the level is set to high for it to turn back on until it's almost fully charged?

I wonder if the first available firmware (earliest date) for the device might be the best option to start with.
    Li-Ion battery can have a protection circuit that gets activated when the battery is drained. Once it is activated, it needs to be reset by "stack charging" or the charger should be intelligent to do it (high voltage low current).

Super AMOLED screen also has several protection mechanisms.

I am guessing that in 10.3.x OS, when the indicator says 0% the battery is really at 0% capacity hence triggers the its protection circuit, which in turn triggers the screen protection circuit too.

Posted via Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2267
    03-05-15 09:13 AM
    When I got the OTA I had bugs.. my friends didn't have issues on their Z10 it's just me with my Z30

So I imagine there's something wrong with 10.3.1 on Z30. Hop there is a fix coming soon

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:37 AM
    Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:46 AM
    I am guessing that in 10.3.x OS, when the indicator says 0% the battery is really at 0% capacity hence triggers the its protection circuit, which in turn triggers the screen protection circuit too.

Which could be exaggerated even more by a battery that has reduced capacity.

I think you may have hit on something with your comment to use an intelligent charger, although my thought are to to use a higher amperage charger from a playbook. I wonder if someone with a non responsive Z30 would be willing to swap out the stock battery with one that hasn't been fully drained? That might allow the screen to reset it's self (barring the screen HAS internal protections) and allow reverting back to 10.2.X for those affected by the black screen.
    lift and steakman911 like this.
    03-05-15 09:48 AM
    I'm updated to 10.3.1.1581 on my Z30 OTA ... and fail to see any bugs or reduced battery life whatsoever.

My phone has been a beast since getting 10.3.1
    (Please note - if you are having reduced battery life, I'm going to assume it's background services from Android apps - check your battery usage)
    joeragan and BionicKris like this.
    03-05-15 09:48 AM
    Li-Ion battery can have a protection circuit that gets activated when the battery is drained. Once it is activated, it needs to be reset by "stack charging" or the charger should be intelligent to do it (high voltage low current).

Super AMOLED screen also has several protection mechanisms.

I've seen some reports of this on Blackberry's support forums and here too, thats when people are getting the flashing red. For me and others though the phone turns on just fine and is working but the screen stays black.

I will say this though, similar to stack charging, I've been using a little strategy i came up with and slowly I am getting it to work properly. Here is my little description. Please remember, this is on a z30 (sta100-5) that was updated to the official 10.3

At first phone wouldn't turn on at all. Left to charge for a couple hours or more and finally got a proper charge light, waited till it turned solid green and then turned it on. Screen stayed black but it was on, notifications came in and all. So tried hard reset (simultaneously holding down volume up and down) and it wouldn't work. plugged phone into hdmi and discovered hard reset wouldn't work unless phone was on, not in standby or asleep, whatever. So I did the hard reset, while plugged into power, over and over, maybe 20 times or more and finally I saw the white BlackBerry name on the screen!

I went into settings and adjusted every setting that has something to do with the display or power management. the works. Also ran an app called cache cleaner (on a wing and a prayer)

Then i did a backup and a restore of 10.3 but it was the same. had to do a hard reset to get the screen to come back and then it had to stay plugged in to work. So I booted up Windows and grabbed a 10.2 autoloader. did a wipe and loaded ion 10.2, Still the same, if it is restarted it comes up black. So hard reset and it worked and I decided to update to 10.3 again, using link not ota.

From that moment on, the phone has worked properly, when plugged in.

Again I messed with setting for display and for power, the lot.

Then as time passed I started to unplug it to see whats up and it would work, maybe once or twice then I would have to plug it in again to get the screen to wake up. As I kept doing this it would work for a little longer unplugged each time (read a little longer as minutes). it seemed to be actually helping, kinda like stack charging the display. Anyway. One thing I will note here is it is much more reliable, at this point, to wake up using advanced interaction's lift to wake. Using the top button or swipe would stop the phone from working faster than lift to wake. So, yesterday I unplugged it at 1:30 to go out, it worked till about 2 but just as I got home it stopped waking up. I went inside and plugged in for 30 min then unplugged for more testing. From that point on it worked ALL OF LAST NIGHT! I couldn't believe it. It has to be said I never used swipe to wake or the top button, only lift to wake but all last night I was rocking my z30 properly, almost.

So, I left it plugged in last night and today I am going to wake it up using top button only and see what happens. So far it been an hour and its still working.

FORGOT to add. Letting the phone go to sleep on its own, not tapping top button, seems to be better for it waking up

UPDATE 1: 2 hours into this day and its still working. I am even using the top button to sleep and wake. I'll keep this updated.

UPDATE 3. Now working for 11 hours with no issue.

UPDATE 4: Thats it. worked all day, charged all night and again this AM its working perfectly. This is a fix.
    Last edited by ExplicitPromo; 03-06-15 at 11:52 AM.
    FF22, lift, MicheleITA and 3 others like this.
    03-05-15 10:35 AM
    So hard reset and it worked and I decided to update to 10.3 again, using link not ota.

Then as time passed I started to unplug it to see whats up and it would work, maybe once or twice then I would have to plug it in again to get the screen to wake up. As I kept doing this it would work for a little longer unplugged each time (read a little longer as minutes). it seemed to be actually helping, kinda like stack charging the display. Anyway. One thing I will note here is it is much more reliable, at this point, to wake up using advanced interaction's lift to wake. Using the top button or swipe would stop the phone from working faster than lift to wake. So, yesterday I unplugged it at 1:30 to go out, it worked till about 2 but just as I got home it stopped waking up. I went inside and plugged in for 30 min then unplugged for more testing. From that point on it worked ALL OF LAST NIGHT! I couldn't believe it. It has to be said I never used swipe to wake or the top button, only lift to wake but all last night I was rocking my z30 properly, almost.

So, I left it plugged in last night and today I am going to wake it up using top button only and see what happens. So far it been an hour and its still working.
    If you haven't already, you might want to forward this to BB.
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    03-05-15 10:53 AM
    I've seen some reports of this on Blackberry's support forums and here too, thats when people are getting the flashing red. For me and others though the phone turns on just fine and is working but the screen stays black.

I will say this though, similar to stack charging, I've been using a little strategy i came up with and slowly I am getting it to work properly. Here is my little description. Please remember, this is on a z30 (sta100-5) that was updated to the official 10.3

At first phone wouldn't turn on at all. Left to charge for a couple hours or more and finally got a proper charge light, waited till it turned solid green and then turned it on. Screen stayed black but it was on, notifications came in and all. So tried hard reset (simultaneously holding down volume up and down) and it wouldn't work. plugged phone into hdmi and discovered hard reset wouldn't work unless phone was on, not in standby or asleep, whatever. So I did the hard reset, while plugged into power, over and over, maybe 20 times or more and finally I saw the white BlackBerry name on the screen!

I went into settings and adjusted every setting that has something to do with the display or power management. the works. Also ran an app called cache cleaner (on a wing and a prayer)

Then i did a backup and a restore of 10.3 but it was the same. had to do a hard reset to get the screen to come back and then it had to stay plugged in to work. So I booted up Windows and grabbed a 10.2 autoloader. did a wipe and loaded ion 10.2, Still the same, if it is restarted it comes up black. So hard reset and it worked and I decided to update to 10.3 again, using link not ota.

FORGOT to add. Letting the phone go to sleep on its own, not tapping top button, seems to be better for it waking up
    This is so much better than your posts everywhere saying there's a bug. Nice job figuring things out.
    03-05-15 11:31 AM
    I called BB and was told to tweet this to the dev team. Haha, had to sign up to twitter and figure out how to do that, was too funny. I hate social media.
    03-05-15 11:35 AM
    This is so much better than your posts everywhere saying there's a bug. Nice job figuring things out.
    Thanks. Took a few days to get to this point, until I had something to offer I was simply trying to help others not fall into the same situation. Just trying to help out fellow BB users.
    03-05-15 11:41 AM
    I called BB and was told to tweet this to the dev team. Haha, had to sign up to twitter and figure out how to do that, was too funny. I hate social media.
    I agree, it's nonsense. Since when social media is considered above email and calls? I guess they want to you keep it short!
    With your information above, it's very hard to follow, though. It's not something people can easily replicate, but it gives them an idea about what to try if their phone is not waking. Is it possible that OS messed up something in tilt or pick up to wake function and it just disables some of the features or does not power the screen properly? Possible?
    03-05-15 11:52 AM
283 12345 ...