Hey guys, it's been two years, but I'm back!

I have a Z30 in the post arriving this afternoon. I currently have an iPhone 4S running the latest version of iOS7 (damn internal storage which can't be expanded!)

Now, I haven't done that much research into the Z30 and BB10 is very much new to me, since my previous BlackBerry was the 9900.

What would you say makes the Z30 stand out from the rest? Is there software which enables me to run Android applications on BB10? (Planefinder is an application which I use frequently for my job).

I would like a quick crash-course on features, gestures, a screenshot ability etc. as I have work at 1500 till 0300.

Thank you for any advice… and great to be back with a community which actually responds nicely and is helpful every step of the way!
    Last edited by Joel_Zimmerman; 09-22-14 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
    09-22-14 02:20 AM
    First, make sure you running on the latest os.
    Second, Install amazon apps store or snap(recommended)

Installing of snap is little lengthy. Steps are on the forum.

http://m.crackberry.com/sideload-app...-google-chrome

Here is the file(snap)

http://m.crackberry.com/snap-google-...10-updated-v20

For installing amazon apps store, you can download the file and install.

Here is the link to install amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/and...UvbUpU10872215

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 02:33 AM
    Install snap! And before you do anything with your phone use an autoloader to load 10.3.0.1154.

Read up on the contacts app, there are various thread here on CB. Its tricky. You don't want to link too many contact accounts to your contact list.

Other than that I hope you'll enjoy your BB10 device! Welcome back!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 02:41 AM
    The Z30 is a great device. Decent performance and, yes, really good Android app compatibility. I was amused at how reviewers gushed over the rounded glass edge on the new iPhone when the Z30 had that a year ago.

Snap is definitely worth installing. Sideloading is SLIGHTLY involved, but Snap may very well be the only app you ever do that for.

Enjoy! It's a great device.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 02:41 AM
    Install snap! And before you do anything with your phone use an autoloader to load 10.3.0.1154.

Read up on the contacts app, there are various thread here on CB. Its tricky. You don't want to link too many contact accounts to your contact list.

Other than that I hope you'll enjoy your BB10 device! Welcome back!

Posted via CB10

Installing 10.3 is not required and not recommended.
    10.2.XXXX is the official version

Start with the official OS. .
    Browse the forum.

Ask any questions if you need.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi, Carmels and mkelley65 like this.
    09-22-14 02:59 AM

Browse the forum.

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to the Z30 club. I agree with the above, don't run before you can walk. When you connect to link it will automatically check and load the latest carrier OS.

Play for a while setting it up. Get used to the way BB10 works.

You can go for stuff like Snap later.

Have fun, enjoy.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" Get's a Ten from Fen.
    09-22-14 04:33 AM
    Welcome to the Z30 club. I agree with the above, don't run before you can walk. When you connect to link it will automatically check and load the latest carrier OS.

Play for a while setting it up. Get used to the way BB10 works.

You can go for stuff like Snap later.

Have fun, enjoy.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" Get's a Ten from Fen.
    Or he could update ota using the phone itself.

~Omar Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.1154
    09-22-14 04:39 AM

Browse the forum.

Posted via CB10
    I also agree with the above comment. Start off using an official OS that's already been put through its paces. That way you can familiarize yourself with BB10 on a stable OS before updating to a leaked OS like 10.3.0.1154, which does have minor glitches.

Look! It's Zedzilla10! ?
    09-22-14 06:08 AM
    I had issues with the contacts application so you might want to configure your accounts carefully.

I had to streamline my use a bit.

I had multiple entries etc. To fix it:

Make sure none of your accounts are linked in the cloud, such as linkedin to Outlook.com.

I also had my accounts linked or merged on my windows 8 laptop and had to unlink there.

Configure your principal account first. Let it sync. Only sync one contact list. In my case Outlook.com.

I then configured my social networks and let them link in the Z30.

I also forward my 4 gmail accounts to Outlook instead of configuring them on the handheld.

Have fun. I am really liking my z30

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 07:18 AM
    I came from an iphone 5, 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Highly recommended to install snap and amazon app store, all the apps i used on iOS i am now using on my Z30
    09-22-14 09:14 AM
    You can take screenshots by holding volume up and down.
    Plane Finder seems to be available on the Amazon app store.
    Here is an overview of the most important gestures:

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 09:20 AM
    Hey guys, it's been two years, but I'm back!

I have a Z30 in the post arriving this afternoon. I currently have an iPhone 4S running the latest version of iOS7 (damn internal storage which can't be expanded!)

Now, I haven't done that much research into the Z30 and BB10 is very much new to me, since my previous BlackBerry was the 9900.

What would you say makes the Z30 stand out from the rest? Is there software which enables me to run Android applications on BB10? (Planefinder is an application which I use frequently for my job).

I would like a quick crash-course on features, gestures, a screenshot ability etc. as I have work at 1500 till 0300.

Thank you for any advice� and great to be back with a community which actually responds nicely and is helpful every step of the way!
    Allow up to 4 weeks for your crash course, there are so many features to discover.

iPhone 6 vs Z30.bmp

Z30 144GB
    09-23-14 02:35 AM
    Welcome to BB10! You're going to love the OS and your new device. Z30 is a great phone.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    09-23-14 08:36 AM
    I would say BlackBerry phones are the most secure.

And despite BlackBerry having a very low market share, I also made the switch to BB Z30 from Android.
    Having a low market share, does NOT mean that these phones are the worst on the market.
    I consider BBs to be very security focused, robust, and stable.

The User Interface on BB 10.2. is not "user friendly" though....But you will get used to it.
    09-23-14 10:04 AM
    You should definitely run the leaked 10.3 os, it is known to be very stable from a fresh install and is much more enjoyable and has a ton of features more than the current official 10.2

If you use 10.2 you may be underwhelmed, but then again it's still much better than iOS 7.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 12:17 PM
    Not just the OS of the BB, but the whole Z30 design and built is more rugged than the iPhone.
    09-23-14 03:04 PM
    OK I am going to come from a different angle:

1. You don't need to reboot your BlackBerry after installing an app anymore.
    2. Rebooting is about 1min now instead of 3 minutes with your 9900.
    3. You have arguably the best browser on smartphones now, not the one you remember on your 9900
    4. All your communications, such as email, smartphone, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc., etc, can be configured to be in one location called HUB now, you may reply to them right in there.
    5. You don't need to do battery pull once a week anymore.
    6. Your phone supports miracast so if your monitor or TV supports it too, you can play videos from your phone and watch it directly on your monitor and TV.
    7. The virtual keyboard is arguably the best in the world.
    8. Your phone may be able to get signals where other phones can't connect.
    9. Your battery life will be better than your 4s even though your Z30 has a bigger screen and faster processor.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    scrapmetal58 and PatrickMJS like this.
    09-23-14 04:13 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the tips and recommendations. I have installed Amazon App Store and downloaded a few applications already. Plane finder did however come up with an error message about Google Play. One thing that has really bugged me is that Waze keeps freezing after a certain time of usage. I close the app, but when I return to it, it just resumes back to where is froze. Even the slide to navigate option, it doesn't do anything else and all I see is a black screen. I understand that Google Maps isn't available for BB10 for some reason so I rely on Waze a lot; I am a cab driver. Not that I need it to know where local roads are, I gain points and updates on the route ahead and I cannot get it out of its frozen state. I have restarted the Z30 many times and even performed a reset where you press and hold the volume keys. The only way I can unfreeze Waze is by deleting it, reinstalling it and then inputting all of my options in again. I have installed BeMaps Pro but it doesn't provide turn-by-turn navigation.

I will consider Snap but side loading? Not that I want to do it; I just don't have much social time to myself anymore since getting a driving job.

The OS is up to date as well.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!
    09-24-14 03:29 PM
    the Z30 is a beast. Congrats and welcome back.
    09-24-14 08:30 PM
    Also agreed with those guys telling people to runs leaks on their first bb10 phones before they even get use to it is a bad idea, regardless of how stable you think it is.

Start with the official os get use to the platform then play with leaks after.
    09-25-14 02:39 PM
    While I normally wouldn't recommend running a leak, bugs and all, if you are depending on Android apps to get you through your day, a 10.3 leak might not be a horrible idea.

If you do decide to do it, expect bugs. I have a few issues with bluetooth and my keyboard words don't flick up very well on the leak, but Android apps now run crazy smooth.

It's a trade off. Just do a little research so you understand what you're getting yourself into.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:51 PM
    I will research 10.3 when I have some free time. Ah, bluetooth issues? Like, intermittently switching on and off? I also use Bluetooth with my headset as I spend around 10 of my 12 hours at work in the cab. I'm not sure it is 10.2 which causes Waze to play up, but rather the application itself. I have already sent numerous bug reports if I am lucky enough to get it to open back up without showing me a blank screen. I wonder what causes the problem? Most of the crashes appear to happen at an exact location, that being the M20 motorway London-bound around half a mile from the M26 junction. It just freezes on that screen. Closing the application and then opening it just shows that screen, as if it has been 'screenshotted'. Without functionality.

Talking about mapping applications though, is there another application which allows turn-by-turn directions like Waze and BlackBerry Maps? Maps doesn't have much of a variety of local businesses or landmarks. BeMaps Pro does, but doesn't provide navigation.

Again, thank you for your help guys!
    Last edited by Joel_Zimmerman; 09-26-14 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
    09-26-14 12:05 AM
    I usually use OsmAnd (Android app which uses OpenStreetMap) to explore which POIs which are nearby. They have a free and paid version in BlackBerry World however because it's open source you can also get the full version from the F-Droid (https://f-droid.org/) store. But for testing it out the free version from BlackBerry World is enough.
    There is also Navfree (native) which doesn't show that much POIs even though it's using OpenStreetMap but they do have Foursquare and Google integrated into their search.
    And last but not least there's Mireo (native) which is paid but they do have a 7-day trial if you want to test it out.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 07:29 AM