Hi Everyone,

I just dropped my Z30 from Verizon over the weekend and the glass shattered! It fell on the top left corner and now there are cracks extending to all parts of the glass. Parts of the glass are falling out. Surprisingly the screen doesn't seem to be cracked, just the glass on top of it. And the touch screen and swiping is working too.

So I've been looking around the web and found some assemblies that include the screen and the top glass for about $60. Is that a fair price? Does anyone know of any that are cheaper and will work with the Verizon version? Is it possible to just replace the top glass and not the screen?

Worst part about all this is I just cancelled the insurance on it from Verizon a few weeks ago that would have covered this!!! ARGH!!!
    02-01-16 03:39 PM
    If you can get it for $60 I would go for it, I replaced my Z30 glass half a year ago and paid more, but the install is VERY easy to do, just follow one of the Youtube tutorials.
    02-01-16 03:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I just dropped my Z30 from Verizon over the weekend and the glass shattered! It fell on the top left corner and now there are cracks extending to all parts of the glass. Parts of the glass are falling out. Surprisingly the screen doesn't seem to be cracked, just the glass on top of it. And the touch screen and swiping is working too.

So I've been looking around the web and found some assemblies that include the screen and the top glass for about $60. Is that a fair price? Does anyone know of any that are cheaper and will work with the Verizon version? Is it possible to just replace the top glass and not the screen?

Worst part about all this is I just cancelled the insurance on it from Verizon a few weeks ago that would have covered this!!! ARGH!!!
    Deductible on the insurance is more than $60..... so don't sweat that part of it.

It is a pretty simple process...
    02-01-16 03:52 PM
    $60 is a good price point. Use Amazon, ebay or here:

http://www.etradesupply.com/blackber...order=position

*edit* got mine on ebay for $48+$5shipping. Had a $5 off coupon

Passport (red)/Z30-5/Z10-3/Nexus 5 (6.0)
    Last edited by Drew Oswalt; 02-01-16 at 05:00 PM.
    02-01-16 04:40 PM
    I had a local phone guy order and install for $90 so ya... $60 is probably ok.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    02-01-16 04:56 PM
    Thanks everyone!
    02-01-16 05:33 PM
    I got a replacement screen from ebay for $40+ but the screen does not turn off during phone calls. The Amazon one also has the same problem. Proximity and light sensors work fine on BBVE. Any of you with replacement screens have that issue?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 10:40 PM
    Just be aware that the Verizon version has a different screen model than the other Z30's. At least, I think the screen is different.
    02-01-16 11:06 PM
    I got a replacement screen from ebay for $40+ but the screen does not turn off during phone calls. The Amazon one also has the same problem. Proximity and light sensors work fine on BBVE. Any of you with replacement screens have that issue?

Posted via CB10
    The proximity sensor is part of the middleframe. Search middleframe on Amazon. They come with a new battery. It's as easily changed out as the screen is. And it's cheaper too. About 15 dollar for the middleframe which includes the proximity sensor and the battery. Check youtube for a video from "ItsmeJC" about changing the screen but he actually takes it all the way down to the battery.

Great thing about the Z30 is how easy it is to work on. First thing that went bad on mine was what is wrong with yours. Changed out the middleframe then a few months later a bad OTA update killed my screen then I changed that.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    FF22 and LoneStarRed like this.
    02-01-16 11:19 PM
    Just be aware that the Verizon version has a different screen model than the other Z30's. At least, I think the screen is different.
    Yep the Verizon screen is different, you're right.

Good lookin out for the OP.

FF22 likes this.
    02-01-16 11:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep.

Personally I don't think it to be an issue caused by the replacement screen.
    It's different. The 4G models are held on with 10 screws and the Verizon, eight.
    02-02-16 08:55 AM
    Yep.

Personally I don't think it to be an issue caused by the replacement screen.
    It's different. The 4G models are held on with 10 screws and the Verizon, eight.
    I have the Verizon one and it is generally difficult to find the screen/middle housing for that - found the middle housing at mengtor.com - works fine but of lower quality than the original.
    I'm pretty sure the proximity sensor for the Verizon one is on the LCD screen assembly since the sensor worked fine on the old screen and did not on the new screen. The sensor is to the left of the phone ear speaker.
    02-02-16 11:34 AM
    The proximity sensor should be part of the power button assembly, not the screen.
    02-02-16 12:37 PM
    I can't answer to if they changed the position of the proximity sensor in the Verizon model. But I can say 100% that the sensor is in the middleframe of the GSM model.

Rustybronco likes this.
    02-02-16 02:07 PM
    Another thing to watch for, the replacement screen might not come with a mic.
    02-02-16 05:19 PM
    Yikes! So many potential problems!

Well I ordered one off of Amazon that specified that it worked with verizon versions, so hopefully it will not have any issues.

Thanks again everyone!
    02-03-16 04:21 PM

Well I ordered one off of Amazon that specified that it worked with verizon versions, so hopefully it will not have any issues.

Thanks again everyone!
    Good luck! Let us know how it works out! Which seller?
    02-03-16 04:29 PM

Thanks again everyone!
    The only potential problem is the proximity sensor may stop working. It's unfortunate but not that big of a deal since it's easily replaceable too
    02-03-16 04:29 PM
    The only potential problem is the proximity sensor may stop working. It's unfortunate but not that big of a deal since it's easily replaceable too
    Can you tell me how to replace the proximity sensor? I'm having this problem since I replace the screen.
    02-03-16 06:17 PM
    Can you tell me how to replace the proximity sensor? I'm having this problem since I replace the screen.
    Replacing the screen shouldn't have anything to do with the proximity sensor. I replaced my proximity sensor Feb of 2015 and had nothing wrong with the screen.

6 months later my screen went bad. Replaced that. The proximity sensor is still good.

Here is the part that you need for the new sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UvbUpU12247488

It's out of stock but this is the part I bought a year ago. Look at the photos so you see what it is. It's basically the entire phone minus your screen and main board.

02-03-16 11:24 PM
    $10 on Ebay including battery for the 4 G version.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BlackBerry-Z30...916?nav=SEARCH

Posted from my X00 Z30
    Last edited by Rustybronco; 02-04-16 at 12:04 AM.
    02-03-16 11:54 PM
    $10 on Ebay including battery for the 4 G version.

Blackberry Z30 Battery with Middle Frame | eBay

Posted from my X00 Z30
    Is that part also different for Verizon Z30's - just curious!

(I wonder how different the Verizon Priv will be??????)
    02-04-16 09:16 AM
    F2, it is different. About the only thing that can be used from it is the battery.
    02-04-16 09:27 AM
    $4 gets you the 4G mid frame without the battery. Such a deal...
    Blackberry Z30 Middle Frame Housing | eBay
    02-04-16 09:30 AM
    $4 gets you the 4G mid frame without the battery. Such a deal...
    Blackberry Z30 Middle Frame Housing | eBay
    And for which Z30 model is that? Does 4G mean NOT Verizon? (sorry, but I've never gotten the frequency/protocol stuff lodged in the gray matter)
    02-04-16 01:50 PM
40 12