Yes, the title sounds funny, but it's the truth. Some guy off craigslist selling an international, black Z30 (I am guessing that's a STA100-2) with box, original accessories and two covers, including a $60 Otterbox, all in impeccable conditions (I saw photos). I've bought plenty of phones from craigslist, so I pretty much know what to expect, in case that's a concern.

I just wanted to say I was excited. LOL I haven't tried BlackBerry 10 and have wanted to for a while. The Z30 will make my Android and Windows Phone devices company.

I am guessing I will need to call my carrier (AT&T) to enable the BlackBerry plan, whatever it's called. I also hope that, once switched, I can still use that SIM in my other phones and they will work just fine.

Yes, I am not expecting to get AT&T LTE (I'm in Miami in case someone has a different experience), but I'm just fine with HSPA+.

Any first-timer advise will be welcome. I will start to get familiarized with BlackBerry 10 and install the Amazon App Store as one of the first things I do in order to try Android apps too.

Wish me luck. Off I go!
    10-21-14 09:42 PM
    Good luck and be safe! Let us know what you think after a few days of use!

Posted via CB10
    razor1973 likes this.
    10-21-14 09:45 PM
    How much is the deal?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-21-14 10:29 PM
    Listed for $360, then for $340... I got it for $280 and mint doesn't quite describe it. Only thing is missing is the film over the screen. It's a beautiful device and I'm finding my way around it quickly (just started using it 2 minutes ago). First thing I want to do is upgrade it to 10.3 (it's on 10.2.1.2977 right now), but I don't want betas or any builds missing features. I'm going to do some reading on that now, since I'm completely new to BB 10.
    Last edited by razor1973; 10-21-14 at 10:55 PM.
    liltoadie and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-21-14 10:44 PM
    Listed for $360, then for $340... I got it for $280 and mint doesn't quite describe it. Only thing is missing is the film over the screen. It's a beautiful device and I'm finding my way around it quickly (just started using it 2 minutes ago). First thing I want to do is upgrade it to 10.3 (it's on 10.2 right now), but I don't want betas or any builds missing features. I'm going to do some reading on that now, since I'm completely new to BB 10.
    If this is your first time using BB10 I would usually suggest loading up an official 10.2.1 carrier release. Just until you get the ropes but 10.3.0.1418 has been super stable for me so I wouldn't see no harm in you jumping right into it.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30! ?
    razor1973 likes this.
    10-21-14 10:48 PM
    Nice! For me using BB OS10 is one if those things that grows on you. You'll start off slow and in unfamiliar waters. Then you'll gain confidence and start finding the power user tricks. Before you know it you'll be flying around the OS wondering where it's been all your life. These forums are a great resource, definitely use em if you need any help

Posted via CB10
    Johny 5 and razor1973 like this.
    10-21-14 10:50 PM
    I quickly discovered 10.3.0.1418 and learned how to load it (it couldn't be easier with an autoloader), so it's downloading right now. ETA varies between 1 and 2 hours. It'll give me time to get familiarized with BB 10.
    10-21-14 10:57 PM
    you dont need a BIS plan like with the older BBOS devices. Your normal internet plan should work..Enjoy the phone its an amazing device.
    Johny 5 likes this.
    10-22-14 01:38 AM
    That's a pretty good price. Congrats on getting a great phone.

10-22-14 06:12 AM
    Oh man, load that latest 10.3.1 and enjoy. Blast some tunes on the great speakers, take some pictures (takes great outdoor shots), get Snap to load up on essential Android apps, get cozy with the file manager, remote file access, cloud integration, fall in love with the Hub, maybe listen to some FM radio, customize your quick settings, TYPE LIKE YOU'VE NEVER TYPED BEFORE! FLICK THOSE WORDS!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 07:50 AM
    Hope you're not back asking "why is my PIN blocked?"
    10-22-14 12:41 PM
    10.3.0 has brutal Z30 radio. Roll the dice on the latest 10.3.1.938 leak and if radio socks, roll back to 10.2.1 latest.
    mrfreeze likes this.
    10-22-14 01:34 PM
    You do NOT need a special data plan...
    Normal one works

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 02:29 PM
    I didn't remember STA100-2 working with AT&T...maybe it does and I'm remembering wrong.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 07:13 PM
    Like yourself, I've recently started using the Z30, and am really enjoying it. I've upgraded to 10.3.1 which absolutely ROCKS!

I've been an iPhone user for years, and have found the transition from iOS to BlackBerry 10 very easy. The apps may not be all in one place, but there's more available to BlackBerry 10 now than any other platform!

Hope you enjoy your BlackBerry experience as much as I'm enjoying mine

Posted via CB10
    Easy-G and howards like this.
    10-23-14 05:30 AM
    enjoy and 10.3.0.1418 is great and no issues
    10-23-14 10:58 AM

The phone & deal:
    Really, this thing is NEW. And, after looking around, I couldn't have gotten a better deal. No, my PIN isn't blocked. And yes, AT&T works like a charm on my STA100-2. It shows the AT&T and 4G logos in the corner.

BIS:
    Awesome that you no longer need a BIS plan. I called AT&T from the "purchase site" (LOL) before I read any of this, so all they did was add the IMEI to my account.

Build:
    I upgraded to 10.3.0.1418 right away. I don't listen to radio to begin with (except for a couple of stations on satellite), so radio being available on my phone doesn't add much. It's not a factor at all.

Gripes:
    - I'm not getting LTE speeds, which I knew I wouldn't. However, I was expecting better HSPA+ speeds. I've done about 15 speed tests in different areas of the city and 8 Mbps is the highest I've seen. Average doesn't reach 4 and uploads are even lower.
    - Camera takes decent photos in daylight, pretty blurry ones at nighttime. Then again, I'm coming from a Lumia 1020 and a 1520, with 41MP and 20MB respectively, both with Carl Zeiss optics.
    - The phone is somewhat laggy, especially when running Android apps. I do have pretty quick fingers and expect my phone to react just as quick.
    - Font in the messaging application is too damn small, even compared to other types of messages, like e-mails. I can't easily text and drive. hahaha That's a joke.
    - I can't seem to master that swipe up. Many times, it just won't do anything until the second, third, fourth try.
    - No volume indicator when I press the volume buttons. I did see it a couple of times, but now, I can't seem to see it whenever I change the volume. And the volume does change when I press the buttons. Odd.
    - On that note... Is there a way to easily silence everything or go into vibrate mode? On iPhones, there's a dedicated button. On Android and Windows Phone devices, pressing the volume key will bring up the volume "meter" where there's a speaker icon. Tapping on that icon puts the phone in silent or vibrate mode.
    - No indication of screenshot taken when I press volume +/-. I saw it the first time I did it (as if it was letting me kwow where the photos get saved, but not after). And, since it's not an instant thing and you do have to hold the buttons for about a second, you never know when it's OK to release. Again... quick hands.
    - Apps coming from BB World, 1Mobile, Amazon store... No big deal, though.
    - When dialing a number on the Phone app, it takes a long time to show the digits if you type them quickly. Apparently, because it's trying to match the numbers to your contacts. All mobile OS'es do that these days, but none take nearly this long.
    - The BB Assistant sounds "weird" (not natural) and doesn't do a whole lot. I am comparing to Cortana (love her!), Google Now and Siri. I mean, it will take commands and do typical phone stuff and even look up stuff on Wolfram Alpha or Bing, but it doesn't get chatty. LOL Cortana is hands-down the queen! You should see what she does when you ask her to do an impersonation, to tell you a joke or to explain why you're so damn cool!
    - No dedicated hardware camera button, but I admit I'm spoiled by Lumias.
    - Who ever invented this back cover you can't remove??!!?! I've hurt myself both times I've had to open it to change the SIM or SD cards.
    - Can't install apps on SD. Maybe there's a way, but I haven't done much reading or found it on the phone when I've searched. 16GB may not be enough with large games or e-mail apps that cache all messages and attachments.

- The looks of the device. It does look like many other iPhonesque black slabs out there, but still nice. The build quality seems to be typical BB, i.e. awesome.
    - The BB10 interface, multitasking, hub, folders, pull-down notification screen, gestures. Did I mention the hub? One of the strongest features BB ever had. I'm glad it's still there.
    - Amazing speakers!
    - Bluetooth works better with my car than it does on my Windows Phone and Android devices. As soon as it connects, the lockscreen shows the car make logo and all available services. My car also allows me to read text messages and e-mails. Sweet! Shame I can't reply (dictation), delete, etc.
    - Battery life. I was sort of expecting the same battery life of old BB's, but it's certainly better than my other phones, if slightly. My Lumia 1520 can really hold a charge even with that mammoth screen!
    - The keyboard! What's it called? Whatever it's called, I love that swipe-up feature to finish the word being predicted. Very useful and I can't wait to get used to it, as now I take longer reading the word that's being predicted than if I had typed the whole word. It does take getting used to, but it's awesome.
    - Spanglish is a very common "dialect" in Miami. Basically, you start a sentence in English, switch to Spanish halfway through it and end it in English again. Only a few manufacturers or keyboard makers see this need and allow their keyboards to predict on more than one language at the same time. BB is one of them. Love it. No need to switch.
    - Miracast, even though I haven't had a chance to try it. No Miracast device at home.
    - Payment options as part of the OS. I already set up my PayPal account.
    - Lift to wake, flip to mute, flip to save power.
    - NFC, BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry Guardian.

Overall:
    I do like the Z30 and BB10, but I'm not overly impressed or in love... yet anyways. I am not giving up and going back to my Lumias and Windows Phone. I want to give this a very fair chance. I do want to find the right apps and power user tricks to see if that'll get me there.

There's a lot more, but I've been meaning to respond for the past 2 days and haven't had a chance to sit down until now. I will be sure to add more as they come up and ask questions. Feel free to let me know if there's a solution or workaround for any of my gripes and, by all means, suggest must-have BB-specific applications and tricks.

By the way, if you reply and quote me, try to quote only the section(s) you are replying to as to not make this a huge thread for no reason, but I thank you for your feedback in advance anyways, no matter how your reply.
    AnimalPak200 and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-23-14 06:52 PM
    Listed for $360, then for $340... I got it for $280 and mint doesn't quite describe it. Only thing is missing is the film over the screen. It's a beautiful device and I'm finding my way around it quickly (just started using it 2 minutes ago). First thing I want to do is upgrade it to 10.3 (it's on 10.2.1.2977 right now), but I don't want betas or any builds missing features. I'm going to do some reading on that now, since I'm completely new to BB 10.
    Enjoy, i miss my z30 a bit, but not too much

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    10-23-14 07:02 PM
    I didn't remember STA100-2 working with AT&T...maybe it does and I'm remembering wrong.

Posted via CB10
    -5 was the advertised device for ATT and LTE in some major areas like Chicago. I see analyst make excuses for apple lack of innovation...calling the market mature and not needing anything else. PFFFTTTT what a joke they are.

The Z30 IMO is almost as new and great as the Passport. Really admire and could use the benefits of a Passport but really did the Z30 for what it is. A great all around entertaining tool.
    10-23-14 07:15 PM
    I work for a carrier and you do not need a Blackberry plan which is a BIS plan. The only time you need a bis plan is for any blackberry so running blackberry so 7 or under.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 07:44 PM
    Vibrate mode can be accessed through the quick settings. Tap the top of the home screen or swipe down from the top. I can't remember if it comes set out of the box, but if not, you can go into the settings and customize it. Just tap on the icon not the words next to it.

Give the phone a week and then reread your review to see if you still have the same concerns. Things like swiping up should become second nature.

Hope you enjoy it.

Btw, I don't have a Z30, but it's the same with other BB10's. Mine are Q10 and Z10,

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 09:29 PM
    Ah, that did the trick. Clicking on the icon, not the word. Unfortunately, that one-click action only gives you Silent or Vibrate, plus Normal. It doesn't allow you to toggle among the 3 modes, which I do do often. Example: I don't like my phone to even vibrate when I'm in meetings or going to sleep, want every ring and notification to go off when I'm out on the road and want stuff to vibrate if I'm, say, watching TV. As you can see, I toggle through these modes throughout the day. Sounds like the only way to do this (unless there's an app that makes it easier) is to go into the actual settings and switch it there. True?

Thank you!
    Last edited by razor1973; 10-24-14 at 01:50 PM.
    10-23-14 10:15 PM
    No other feedback on my gripes? I was expecting to read "you're doing it wrong, here's how you do it", "true, but here's a workaround" or "unfortunately, that's the way it is with BB10".
    10-25-14 09:56 AM
    Check out Sound Short Cuts in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/55764892

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 11:09 AM
    Which model of Z30 works in Canada with Bell? STA100-5 right?

10-25-14 11:32 AM
44 12