This is a follow up to my post of starting a new job and going with the work phone (i6) or stay with my Z30. Because of my telephone number, I kept my Z30 but I had to get the i6 because of their email system does not recognized Android or BB. Having said, that, I'm now using both phones, but the Z30 as my primary. I have yet to figure out how to get their email ported to the BB if it's at all possible. Now here's what I've learned, both positive and negative:

Positive:
    Apps: Obviously more available for the iPhone. Not that I need them, but the work van doesn't have satellite radio and regular radio sucks. I miss Sirius. I'm on VZW, I have yet to get 10.3 so I'm stuck with the Apple app. It works and it's nice. I have a few I need for work, one keeps crashing, the other's work fine. Some business manufacturers have iPhone specific apps, and that's handy. BBM is great to have on the iPhone (although the font is tiny).
    Maps: Very nice, but it switches to 3D mode and I can't figure out what's going on, nor do I have time. Best maps I've used.
    Music: it's nice to have my iTunes on my phone, but BS that it is not the same as my PC where I uploaded a lot of CDs in the past.
    Battery: Can't really say, it sits more than gets used, but seem good.
    Quick settings: Typical but kind of handy.
    Other than that, that's all I have that's good.

Negative:
    Size: The phone is way too thin and slippery, and too fragile to be designed like this. Why make it look so nice if you HAVE to get a darn Otterbox or something like that?
    Flow: Has anyone noticed one handed operation is not that simple especially with a phone this thin? Most functional operations are in the upper left (back, cancel, etc) and to reach this tiny area is hard since there's no swipe. The main button is annoying and I find that I have multiple apps running and have to shut them down. (Note: I now understand why so many people crash while texting, not just lack of attention, but two handed fiddling with their iPhones).
    Mail: Took me forever to figure out how to attach a damn pdf to the email. This was through installing Outlook and THEN having to download BOX and Dropbox on the phone. No native file saving other than pictures? Outlook is a way better mail client than the native mail and it's again BS that one has to figure this out on how to do it, the fact that calendar is in there, etc. But it still acts like the native mail client and not unique to it's own app in the way you compose emails. Calendar does not have a weekly or monthly view like BB. I invite my general email to every calendar event so it shows up on my BB.
    Alerts: Unless you buy them, I can't figure a way to do custom ringers or alerts like BB. My i6 sounds like every other persons. How average. One reason I like my BB, each person/alert is unique and I know who/what is alerting me.
    Typing: Nothing new to be said. BB is the best period. One thing I noticed is, where's the comma? I have to shift to get a comma but emoticons are right there? I find myself swiping to get digits often. Predictive on BB is 100% better. Long holds on a key does not get you a capital either.
    No HUB or something similar: Man, I live and die by BB hub. Did I miss this on the i6 or do they have something like it?
    Hot Spot: Just something unusual, but I needed a hotspot for my laptop, and it wouldn't find the i6. Found my BB on first try. All settings were right and correct. I seriously thought it would have been the other way around.

This has been my first "long-term" use on an Apple product and I don't know what the fuss is all about. In a business group I was in last week, many of the iPhone users complained about their last update, missing emails or texts, and battery. And I met more and more people say that they left Apple and are on Android. Interesting. If you haven't used a BB, then you can't truly say iOS is better, because it's not, it's the apps you have to download which happen to make the inferior native system better. You're missing one of the most productive phones and OS on the market, easy to use, type, and has the best native mail. Apple makes a fine phone, my son's new i6+ is right for him, not for someone who works via email or connectivity on a daily basis. I think businesses are missing the boat because the US market thinks BB is gone or "your dad's Oldsmobile" (which is now gone). They're wrong, and the US needs to wake up. My final thought is, since I'm a BlackBerry user, I obviously have my favorite, but I was expecting more from the Apple and I thought (was hoping) I was going to be wrong about the product and iOS. BB10 is truly a work productive mobile device.
    05-25-15 01:35 PM
    Thanks for the update.

Seems like if you were able to use the Outlook app on the iPhone, then it's probably using ActiveSync.

Outlook is a major security/privacy concern to some people because it downloads your whole mailbox to it's own servers just to try and provide something as good as BB10 already has.
    05-25-15 02:48 PM
    Good to hear your BlackBerry user's perspective on the iPhone, in regards to your day-to-day tasks. Thanks!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    05-25-15 03:01 PM
    You haven't updated your Z30's os to any of the newer 10.3.1 leaks? Go for it since you have two phones now. My wife has the iPhone 6 and it does have better game performance than my Z10 but I don't care for it and it seems to be just as dependent on the power cord as my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 03:40 PM
    So on the iPhone6 (or the latest OS), do they now have the ability to "email all attendees" on a calendar invite? Last time I had talked to a colleague that was using one, he was not able to do this.

I think, once again, that it all comes down to the type of user you are. If you are all about communication, efficiency, productivity, it is a no-brainer, the BlackBerry is the superior device. If you are looking more for fun apps (during, or hopefully outside of, work) and taking really nice pictures, and willing to sacrifice the efficiency and productivity, then the iPhone is for you.
    05-25-15 03:56 PM
    If you haven't used a BB, then you can't truly say iOS is better, because it's not, it's the apps you have to download which happen to make the inferior native system better. You're missing one of the most productive phones and OS on the market, easy to use, type, and has the best native mail.
    I couldn't agree more: I believe that this is where BlackBerry's future lies: if BB can get the word out to dissatisfied iOS and Android users, there WILL be a way for BB to grow market share.
    05-25-15 04:30 PM
    So on the iPhone6 (or the latest OS), do they now have the ability to "email all attendees" on a calendar invite? Last time I had talked to a colleague that was using one, he was not able to do this.

I think, once again, that it all comes down to the type of user you are. If you are all about communication, efficiency, productivity, it is a no-brainer, the BlackBerry is the superior device. If you are looking more for fun apps (during, or hopefully outside of, work) and taking really nice pictures, and willing to sacrifice the efficiency and productivity, then the iPhone is for you.
    My Passport takes incredible pictures according to my girlfriend and her neighbour, each with an iPhone 6 and 6+ respectively. They enjoy the quality and her neighbour said she missed her Q10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    05-25-15 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the update. It's good to read an actual experience on using a device. Some iPhone reviews just tell you they like the phone or that's it's great, but they never go into the details about email or calendar or communication at work.

I still don't understand why BlackBerry doesn't use the iPhone's less efficient email, calendar, and other work features in a commercial along with how a BlackBerry device can do all those things better. How hard is that?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 02:38 PM
    Thanks for the update.

Seems like if you were able to use the Outlook app on the iPhone, then it's probably using ActiveSync.

Outlook is a major security/privacy concern to some people because it downloads your whole mailbox to it's own servers just to try and provide something as good as BB10 already has.
    Wut? Who's "own servers"?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 03:32 PM
    OP,

You know you can install Siriusxm on your BlackBerry, right?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 03:33 PM
    Wut? Who's "own servers"?

Posted via CB10
    If you are a company that runs your own email server, then the Outlook App on iPhone actually replicates all of your PIM data (email, contacts, calendar) on another server and then the app interacts with that copy of your data.

In other words, a server out of your control has your stuff. For many organizations & people, that is a no no.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    05-27-15 01:32 AM
    OP,

You know you can install Siriusxm on your BlackBerry, right?
    I'd like to know where to get compatible Satellite hardware for the phone...

If you are a company that runs your own email server, then the Outlook App on iPhone actually replicates all of your PIM data (email, contacts, calendar) on another server and then the app interacts with that copy of your data.
    I haven't heard of that before. You're saying that if a workplace runs their own email server and the Outlook App is configured to access it, it copies all of that data to a second server operated by Microsoft?
    05-27-15 01:53 AM
    Email system doesn't recognize BlackBerry or Android? It's activesync. That makes no sense. The only way it wouldn't in activesync is if your IT decides he doesn't want to white list BlackBerry or Android.
    Sounds like Voodoo Wizardry and Bullsh.......

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    05-27-15 07:45 AM
    Thanks for all the replies friends. To quick reply to the notes: I don't have 10.3, so I can't port any Android apps. I would download 10.3 like I've done before, but I had issues with doing that before. Maybe someday. Yeah, I'm not sure what IT does or why their system only chooses to push iPhone email, makes not sense to me, I'm just a sales guy. I wish I could do Sirius on my BB, but no one told me how without 10.3 (Amazon apps is missing this app).

On a daily basis, I try to use the phone and typing up an email is the worst thing possible on the i6. I put it down in frustration. It still boggles my mind that every "back" choice you need to do is in the upper left (trying to use iTunes as well). Your options for "options" are very limited as well. Why? The BB is so user friendly in every way.

One other note: My son got the i6+ like I said, and our data went through the roof!! He went from using almost 2gb per month to 4gb in 13 days. To use the phone because there is no SD card to store your information makes the phone access airwave data on a constant basis and drives your data sky high. Cloud service is fine, but to access a pdf or file to email is not a smart design if you are losing cell service. And to continually access data, well, obviously, needs power and I understand wall-huggers now. At least on my BB I can upload a file, email it, and when I run into service it sends. I can also listen to music on my SD card. Too much reliability on a cloud based service (all Apple) to be truly independent.

I'm all for American companies building products and providing jobs, but damn, Canada, you make a great product. LOL, I drive two German cars... Having said that, I know that Germans (Euros) spend a great amount of time focusing on ergonomics in the dash and driver access to switches, visual, etc., and American companies seem to put that a far second. Sit in a VW or Mercedes, their switches are all placed wisely and easy to access while driving. Seems BlackBerry did the same.
    jas1978 likes this.
    05-27-15 08:54 AM
    I have android apps using 10.2. Either the apk-dll.com downloader or evozi will allow you to get (only free) apps from gppgle play and i have Sirius from there as well --you do need your Sirius subscription to include online access, its less than $5 per month more to add it, or like $15 per month to have internet only subscription as i recall, but you dont need any hardware, you can get it from your phone app or your home computer with internet / wifi with that subscription. There are so many options now that my sirius subscription isnt going to get renewed unless they slay me with a big discount offer.

In addition, i have Live365, Pandora (Pandora has become somewhat unreliable except for short spurts of listening even with a paid subscription), and Slacker, all from downloading the apk install files.

There is also a killer free radio app from BB world, called Radio Player+ that has great free radio stations, this app is a one time charge to buy, not a recurring subscription, $3 i think (the one from Andrei something). From BB world i also had good luck to a lesser degree with Xtreme Music, Moka Radio, and of course who can live without the StereoTube Media player, which is a tool to get your youtube playlists with.
    05-27-15 10:11 AM
    If the work email is just going into the normal mail client on iPhone and is activesync, then you can use the same setup on your Z30 if you want to. You just need to know the mail server settings, your username and password. You should be able to see the account settings right on your iPhone to know what to use.
    05-27-15 12:04 PM
    I have android apps using 10.2. Either the apk-dll.com downloader or evozi will allow you to get (only free) apps from gppgle play and i have Sirius from there as well --you do need your Sirius subscription to include online access, its less than $5 per month more to add it, or like $15 per month to have internet only subscription as i recall, but you dont need any hardware, you can get it from your phone app or your home computer with internet / wifi with that subscription. There are so many options now that my sirius subscription isnt going to get renewed unless they slay me with a big discount offer.

In addition, i have Live365, Pandora (Pandora has become somewhat unreliable except for short spurts of listening even with a paid subscription), and Slacker, all from downloading the apk install files.

There is also a killer free radio app from BB world, called Radio Player+ that has great free radio stations, this app is a one time charge to buy, not a recurring subscription, $3 i think (the one from Andrei something). From BB world i also had good luck to a lesser degree with Xtreme Music, Moka Radio, and of course who can live without the StereoTube Media player, which is a tool to get your youtube playlists with.
    There's a native Slacker application. It works fine for me (Z10 and now Z30), though it hasn't been updated for BB10 in quite a while.
    05-27-15 12:17 PM
    If the work email is just going into the normal mail client on iPhone and is activesync, then you can use the same setup on your Z30 if you want to. You just need to know the mail server settings, your username and password. You should be able to see the account settings right on your iPhone to know what to use.
    In normal practice. Yes. But not if IT uses exchange device whitelisting

 Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500 
    05-27-15 05:23 PM
    It still boggles my mind that every "back" choice you need to do is in the upper left...
    In most native iOS apps you can swipe from the left edge to the right to go "Back." No need to reach for the back button. Try it with Mail or Settings
    05-27-15 06:06 PM
    I'd like to know where to get compatible Satellite hardware for the phone...

I haven't heard of that before. You're saying that if a workplace runs their own email server and the Outlook App is configured to access it, it copies all of that data to a second server operated by Microsoft?
    Not sure what benefit to have a piece of hardware added to the phone when they've had external receivers since the beginning... I guess to use it in an area where you don't have cellular coverage, but then that's what the standalone receivers and the car receivers have always been for...

I'm not aware of any USB out SiriusXM receivers, but they offer streaming over the Internet so if you have unlimited data or a wifi connection, you can still get Sirius on your phone.
    05-27-15 08:06 PM

In other words, a server out of your control has your stuff. For many organizations & people, that is a no no.

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    Do you have more details on this? This is news to me. (Not an iPhone user). Unless you are just talking about iCloud syncing. Contacts and calendar are not actually part of email, so it will be on another service/server, depending on service. iOS just tries to do the equivalent of exchange by having that all tied together, I'm guessing.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202337

Local calendars: In some cases, you might have local calendars as well. Local calendars are saved only on your computer or iOS device. They are not pushed to iCloud or any other service, so local calendars on one device do not appear on any of your other devices.
    05-27-15 08:41 PM
    There's a native Slacker application. It works fine for me (Z10 and now Z30), though it hasn't been updated for BB10 in quite a while.
    This is true. I subscribe, and the paid subscription gives you offline access. The native BB10 Slacker doesnt allow this feature. If youre not interested in paid access to offline music then the native app does work better. I love having cached stations, albums, and personalised play lists available. When you hear a song you like you can add it to your playlist, and next time you update that play list its on it. Lots of fun.

Sorry if im gettlng too far off track with the topic...
    05-27-15 08:57 PM
    Size: The phone is way too thin and slippery, and too fragile to be designed like this. Why make it look so nice if you HAVE to get a darn Otterbox or something like that?
    Agreed. Not to mention how the camera lens is no longer flush with the back.

I use a Spigen non-slip case #SGP10936. It's offers minimal protection, but it adds minimal bulk and makes the phone very grippy.

I find that I have multiple apps running and have to shut them down.
    No need. Like Android, background apps aren't "running." They're just paused and kept in memory to they'll open faster the next time you tap them. Closing them just removes them from memory and slows down your phone.

No native file saving other than pictures?
    It is annoying, I agree. I use an app called Documents by Readdle. With Documents (or another File Management app) you can save your PDFs (etc.) to your device, avoiding the cloud, and share them back to Mail when needed. Awkward, and you still can't attach it FROM an email, but it's a workaround to avoid using the Cloud.

Calendar does not have a weekly or monthly view like BB.
    Turn it sideways (landscape) while viewing the Calendar to see the Weekly view. The default view is Monthly, so I'm not sure what you mean by no Monthly view?

Alerts: Unless you buy them, I can't figure a way to do custom ringers or alerts like BB. My i6 sounds like every other persons. How average. One reason I like my BB, each person/alert is unique and I know who/what is alerting me.
    Contacts, tap a contact, Edit... choose your contact-specific Ringtone or Text Tone.

No HUB or something similar: Man, I live and die by BB hub. Did I miss this on the i6 or do they have something like it?.
    It's no Hub, but the iPhone's lock screen does let you triage pending notifications (swipe to Mark as Read, Trash, or Open), somewhat like you can with the Hub.

Just things I've found while trying to use iOS for work as well
    05-27-15 10:46 PM
    Yes, that is exactly what the Outlook app does from what I've seen from people that tried it and are admins of the same Email server software I sell.

There was a big discussion on it in a private mailing list. People even saw the Acompli/Microsoft servers polling their accounts after removing the app from their phone.
    05-28-15 12:59 AM
    Do you have more details on this? This is news to me. (Not an iPhone user). Unless you are just talking about iCloud syncing. Contacts and calendar are not actually part of email, so it will be on another service/server, depending on service. iOS just tries to do the equivalent of exchange by having that all tied together, I'm guessing.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202337

https://www.acompli.com/security/

This is just a little snippet of the email list conversation from Mail admins that were evaluating Acompli (Now Outlook).

[It was defiantly more than 30 days' worth of email. Just the jump in outbound bandwidth stats on our server alone would suggest my full mailbox subfolders and public folders were synced. An extra 500MB of data left our server but only 60MB of data was stored in the android app.]
    05-28-15 01:16 AM