I've read several posts on getting the new OS, US carriers and unlocked phones.

I'm on TMo network (with a TMo sim card), but my phone is a white Z30 which I bought on Ebay from a person in Canada.

I just received the update message (Blackberry Link), and have installed the update.

So, is it the phone or the carrier that controls the roll out?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 08:21 PM
    I've read several posts on getting the new OS, US carriers and unlocked phones.

I'm on TMo network (with a TMo sim card), but my phone is a white Z30 which I bought on Ebay from a person in Canada.

I just received the update message (Blackberry Link), and have installed the update.

So, is it the phone or the carrier that controls the roll out?

Posted via CB10
    If your device is from BlackBerry direct, it will receive updates from BB, regardless of what SIM you have installed. If the device is carrier locked, SIM unlocked, it will receive OS updates pushed by the carrier the device was locked to.
    lift likes this.
    05-27-14 08:45 PM
    How can we know if the phone is locked?

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 11:55 PM
    If your device is from BlackBerry direct, it will receive updates from BB, regardless of what SIM you have installed. If the device is carrier locked, SIM unlocked, it will receive OS updates pushed by the carrier the device was locked to.
    Thanks for solving that mystery for me. I was only guessing what you said was true because other T-Mobile users haven't gotten the update. My wife has a Red limited edition Z10 which came from the factory. And I have a factory Z30. We both got the updates.

My brother has a Z10 that he got from T-Mobile. Even though it's unlocked and was used on Telcel in Mexico it is not getting the update.

Overall it makes me feel good about getting an unbranded factory unlocked phone up front and bringing it to the carrier of choice because of the bonus of getting updates faster.

My wifes Wifi calling is still working on her Z10.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    yvpan1 and Mecca EL like this.
    05-28-14 12:12 AM
    How can we know if the phone is locked?

Posted via CB10
    Go to settings > security and privacy > sim card

If you're phone is unlocked, it will say unlocked under network.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-28-14 02:31 PM
    Getting a phone direct from BlackBerry is something to keep in mind for the future. The ability to get the updates directly is a huge bonus.

I have an AT&T unlocked running on a T-MOBILE reseller via sim. Though I can access both companies' updates they come long after the original release.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-28-14 02:41 PM
    Thanks for solving that mystery for me. I was only guessing what you said was true because other T-Mobile users haven't gotten the update. My wife has a Red limited edition Z10 which came from the factory. And I have a factory Z30. We both got the updates.

My brother has a Z10 that he got from T-Mobile. Even though it's unlocked and was used on Telcel in Mexico it is not getting the update.

Overall it makes me feel good about getting an unbranded factory unlocked phone up front and bringing it to the carrier of choice because of the bonus of getting updates faster.

My wifes Wifi calling is still working on her Z10.

I have a Z30 that I bought from Blackberry and I have not (yet) received the update. I'm on T-Mobile in NYC
    05-28-14 04:30 PM
    I have a Z30 that I bought from Blackberry and I have not (yet) received the update. I'm on T-Mobile in NYC
    Imported mine from Canada also on tmobile :/

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-28-14 04:38 PM
    I can't figure it out then. I'm at the University of Arkansas not a really big population center. I still haven't been able to get the OTA update on my T-Mobile Z10. But as I said the ones that came from BlackBerry both updated. So I can't understand why yours isn't updating.

If it was regional then all my phones should have updated.

Your Z30 was never branded to any Canadian carrier right? What I don't understand is how branded and locking works. I took my Tmobile branded phone that I got an unlock code for to Mexico and it worked great.

Now one difference I do notice is on the Tmobile phone in BBW there is a Tmobile section. But that doesn't exist on the red z10 or the factory z30.

When I put the Mexican SIM in the Tmobile phone it set up a Telcel section. But BBW doesn't change in the factory phones.

Does your Z30 have a Tmobile section in bbw?

05-28-14 04:56 PM
    I can't figure it out then. I'm at the University of Arkansas not a really big population center. I still haven't been able to get the OTA update on my T-Mobile Z10. But as I said the ones that came from BlackBerry both updated. So I can't understand why yours isn't updating.

If it was regional then all my phones should have updated.

Your Z30 was never branded to any Canadian carrier right? What I don't understand is how branded and locking works. I took my Tmobile branded phone that I got an unlock code for to Mexico and it worked great.

Now one difference I do notice is on the Tmobile phone in BBW there is a Tmobile section. But that doesn't exist on the red z10 or the factory z30.

When I put the Mexican SIM in the Tmobile phone it set up a Telcel section. But BBW doesn't change in the factory phones.

Does your Z30 have a Tmobile section in bbw?

I do not have a T-Mobile section in BBW...
    05-28-14 06:50 PM
    You mind posting a screen shot of the About section, for your device?
    05-28-14 07:42 PM
    That's incorrect.

Poetry in Motion
    JohnD222 likes this.
    05-28-14 08:46 PM
    And you won't receive it even though it's from BlackBerry.

Poetry in Motion
    05-28-14 08:47 PM
    And you won't receive it even though it's from BlackBerry.

Poetry in Motion
    Please elaborate...
    05-28-14 08:58 PM
    You mind posting a screen shot of the About section, for your device?
    I can give it to you manually...what specific information are you looking for?

Model #: STA100-5
    Software Release: 10.2.1.2160
    Serial #: 0731-xxxx-xxxx
    05-28-14 09:01 PM
    That's incorrect.

Poetry in Motion
    Can you please elaborate, so we can then know what is correct?

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 09:10 PM
    What is the explanation for my two factory unlocked devices getting OTA updates but my T-Mobile device not? There has to be something to it.

05-28-14 10:09 PM
    I do not have a T-Mobile section in BBW...
    That is what is strange for me. Just on my T-Mobile phone do I have that special T-Mobile section. But I also get a special carrier section of I put a Telcel SIM in that phone.

For the factory phones. BBW stays the same regardless of SIM. Which is probably unrelated to the updates thing but interesting to note.

I can't explain why my two factory phones got updates over T-Mobile but my carrier phone didn't.

05-28-14 10:13 PM
    Can you please elaborate, so we can then know what is correct?

Posted via CB10
    Factory unlocked phones out of box will update to latest update with no SIM and BlackBerry ID not entered. If you were to order Z30 100-5 for example today and it arrives tomorrow you would see it is installed with 10.2. Unbox it and it will update to 10.2.1. BlackBerry doesn't provide you with a SIM card obviously. Z30 100-5 is fully compatible with T-Mobile. It's also compatible with Telus and Rogers too. Verizon sells the Z30 100-4 model.

Any subsequent updates are not provided even if you remove SIM card, leave it in, wifi on, wifi off, restart, link, manual, OTA or online. Putting a non US carrier SIM in the phone sure you'll get that carriers update. But NO, T-Mobile is not pushing this update and it's not coming from BlackBerry. The highest update one would have on Z30 100-5 bought any day before this update is Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2234.

Only way I see around this is to remove sim, wipe phone completely, restore to factory settings, and try the set up process as one would if you took it out of box.

Poetry in Motion
    05-29-14 12:09 AM

But NO, T-Mobile is not pushing this update and it's not coming from BlackBerry.

Where is it coming from then?

The highest update one would have on Z30 100-5 bought any day before this update is Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2234.

That's true. I was on 2234 right up until BlackBerry released 3175. Then I got OTA updates for my unbranded Z-10 100-3 and Z30 100-5.

This would lead me to believe the update came from BlackBerry because T-Mobile (on their website) has my phone listed as "unknown RIM device". But my T-Mobile purchased Z-10 is identified as a Z10. And that is the phone that didn't get the update.

The update had to come from somewhere.

(I'm not arguing with you. I'm simply curious and trying to figure out how I got updates on 2 of 3 phones and the guy in NY didn't get an update even though his phone is from BlackBerry.)

Only way I see around this is to remove sim, wipe phone completely, restore to factory settings, and try the set up process as one would if you took it out of box.

Poetry in Motion

05-29-14 01:05 AM
    Unlocked BlackBerry Q10, still no update.

Q10
    05-29-14 01:32 AM
    Go to settings > security and privacy > sim card

If you're phone is unlocked, it will say unlocked under network.

Posted via CB10
    Mine says unlocked under network... yet no update

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 02:20 AM
    Great and thorough response; I just hope that it isn't true.

ATT USA does not sell z30 so bought unlocked -5 directly from blackberry; using att LTE sim and living with the slower 4G speeds. What you suggest is that there is zero after the sale support updates from BB for this -5, be they enhancements or fixes to security issues.

Is the unlocked z30 from BlackBerry going the way of the buffalo?

Factory unlocked phones out of box will update to latest update with no SIM and BlackBerry ID not entered. If you were to order Z30 100-5 for example today and it arrives tomorrow you would see it is installed with 10.2. Unbox it and it will update to 10.2.1. BlackBerry doesn't provide you with a SIM card obviously. Z30 100-5 is fully compatible with T-Mobile. It's also compatible with Telus and Rogers too. Verizon sells the Z30 100-4 model.

Any subsequent updates are not provided even if you remove SIM card, leave it in, wifi on, wifi off, restart, link, manual, OTA or online. Putting a non US carrier SIM in the phone sure you'll get that carriers update. But NO, T-Mobile is not pushing this update and it's not coming from BlackBerry. The highest update one would have on Z30 100-5 bought any day before this update is Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2234.

Poetry in Motion
    05-29-14 06:42 AM
    Great and thorough response; I just hope that it isn't true.

ATT USA does not sell z30 so bought unlocked -5 directly from blackberry; using att LTE sim and living with the slower 4G speeds. What you suggest is that there is zero after the sale support updates from BB for this -5, be they enhancements or fixes to security issues.

Is the unlocked z30 from BlackBerry going the way of the buffalo?
    This update is for all BlackBerry 10 phones so all the US carriers will release it, eventually. I'm guessing that somehow once we put our SIM cards in these phones it does something to "re-lock" us. It makes no sense. I'm still checking my updates daily hoping to be wrong. There will always be people claiming to have update when they don't. I'm not them but there are more of us without it than with it. I don't know what to do.

Poetry in Motion
    05-29-14 07:46 AM
    Proves nothing. Provides nothing useful to the convo.

Poetry in Motion
    05-29-14 07:48 AM
53 123