I would love to see the Z3 with a quad core processor, updated graphics and 3 gigs of ram for around 400.00 -450.00 range? Have the device still made by Foxcom, the device looks to be well made.

BlackBerry needs to get a nice updated touchscreen device into the hands of new users here to rebuild the brand. Just a suggestion and it probably will never happen, but I would be fist in line to buy it, if it became a reality.

Posted using my z10 (10.2.1.2156) on T Mobile USA
    03-16-14 06:33 AM
    I would love to see the Z3 with a quad core processor, updated graphics and 3 gigs of ram for around 400.00 -450.00 range? Have the device still made by Foxcom, the device looks to be well made.

BlackBerry needs to get a nice updated touchscreen device into the hands of new users here to rebuild the brand. Just a suggestion and it probably will never happen, but I would be fist in line to buy it, if it became a reality.

Never say never. Legacy users exerted pressure and now the Q20 is coming out with the belt. You can never know.
    03-16-14 07:04 AM
    I mentioned the same thing in a previous thread. It's a nice looking device and a bump in specs is all the reason I need to get one.
    I think BlackBerry needs to focus on keeping a consistent look for their touchscreen and qwerty devices (screen size being the main point on respective devices). Having too much variety in the past was unnecessary.
    03-16-14 09:02 AM
    This is designed as a low-end phone - if all goes well in Indonesia, they will look at releasing an LTE version elsewhere (possibly North America), but still as a budget phone. They are working on a new high-end touch device for North America, and once that's released you should be able to get a Z30 around the 400-450 mark. Currently Z10 is only $299US unlocked directly from BlackBerry, and it already beats out the Z3 (unless you're just looking for a bigger screen).
    03-17-14 08:29 AM
    The Z3 is an entry level device (albeit at the higher end of the bottom tier). If you bump the specs and sell it at a mid tier price point, it's no longer a Z3. To sell a device with the same name at different price points it would confuse the market.

Currently, you would want to look to a Z30 and later in the year the rumored Z50. As others have mentioned, when the Z50 drops you will most likely see a drop in price of the Z30 to your desired price point.

Aside from the Z3, BlackBerry has not talked much about their plans for other all touch devices planned for this year. My personal belief given Mr Chen's decisive nature and efforts to restructure the hardware business to be less financial risk with help from Foxconn, and also to shorten development cycles to improve time to market going forward, that most in development products would likely have been cancelled.

But, given that they only hired Ron Louks in January of this year, some of the phones that were in the pipeline already have to launch because Mr Louks simply hasn't been on the job long enough yet to have produced a single phone yet. The only product planning he would have had the chance to do so far is decide what phones that are already in the pipeline will see the light of day and what won't based on what he wants to bridge the gap until products his teams developed are ready.

There is speculation that there are/were at least two all touch screen phones in the mid to high end tiers in development. A device code named 'Ontario' was pretty much ready to go when John Chen took the wheel. It is rumored that it was supposed to launch 1H calendar 2014. The 'Ontario' pretty much matches the specs of last years Samsung Galaxy S4 as all of it's hardware specs have been pulled from BB10 leaks, so it would slot in as a mid tier this year if released (as long as BlackBerry finally gets that you can't sell last years hardware at top of the market prices).

There's also rumored to be anther all touch phone for which we do not know a codename in the pipeline that would pack hardware that places it in the high end of the market in 2014, such as an octa-core SOC, higher resolution display and an improved camera. But, there have been conflicting reports about whether or not it will make it to market this calendar year or next.

The 'Ontario' is 100% a Thorsten Heins' team device. It was developed in house by previous management to follow up the Z30 and it was nearly ready before John Chen became CEO. So just like every BlackBerry since 2008 that Mr Heins was in charge of developing as the COO in charge of hardware prior to becoming CEO, it was under powered compared to competing products and likely cost to much to develop to price competitively. A typical day late and dollar short BlackBerry priced way above what the market will pay. My money is on that one being cancelled at this point. The other rumored all touch screen phone isn't as well leaked, and we really don't know how long it's been in the pipeline. We also don't know if it is totally an in house design or a Foxconn collaboration. But if we do see an all touch screen BlackBerry launch this year, and I sure hope we do, I'd wager that it will not be the 'Ontario' but rather the newer device will be rushed to market with the help of Foxconn. Given the radical shifts in Management, and the new guy in charge of hardware development hasn't even been on the job 90 days yet, I wouldn't expect to see an all touch device hit the market, at the earliest before late Q3/early Q4.
    03-17-14 10:29 AM
    I posted something in the same lines earlier with hopes of this Z3 moving to NA..someday too.. i see this as a great starter device at the price that was suggested for the people that cant afford BB10 devices,why not bring it? okay you might have to add hardware to support LTE. it was stated would be no problem to upgrade in my earlier post.. you can still call it the Z3 just add a device code just like all the other BB10 devices with different internal hardware STL-100-1-2-3 ect ect.each giving a different feature like how some can have fm radio, some can have wifi charging, and so on.
    I say bring it on!!! we need a so called low end great looking device for the budget folks in mind i`m not a budget guy by any means i have the Z30 $600.00 plus telus and just keep it for keep sakes also just picked up a Q5 for $150.00 Koodo special...my daily is the my well trusted Z10..... Z3 anyone..LOL im in..

Common JC listen to your BB loyalists.Just bring it already...
    03-17-14 03:11 PM
    If the Z3 becomes available in North America, BlackBerry will need to keep the price in the $200-250 range in order to really capture the low-price market and boost revenue and sales of BlackBerry devices. This phone in the $400-450 range would barely out sell the Q5. Let's not see BlackBerry make that mistake again.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 01:00 PM
    Then it wouldn't be a Z3.

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    03-30-14 01:05 PM

I like your thoughts but that's not the point of the Z3. It's an entry level device so has to be priced as such which necessitates lower specs.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 01:06 PM
    I like your thoughts but that's not the point of the Z3. It's an entry level device so has to be priced as such which necessitates lower specs.

Posted via CB10
    This.

The new version of the Z30 can occupy the specs that the OP has suggested in this thread. The Z3 is a low-level device and will be priced that way. The phone already has great specs for it's price. Let's just hope that it takes off when it becomes available.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:43 PM
    If they up the specs they can't call it a Z3 anymore, they would have to go with the Z5 or something

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:49 PM
    In reality, there is no need for the quad-core and 3GB RAM....the Z10 is already DAMN fast and the Z30 is even quicker (from what i've been told, no experience with it as carriers here don't even keep it stocked for me to give it a test drive and compare it to my Z10)......the whole quad-core and 3GB RAM is for Android....look at the iPhone 5S...its got 1.3Ghz Dual core with 1GB RAM and its the fastest iPhone yet.....and yea, the Apple ecosystem sucks and the iPhone isn't all that great...but there is no denying its a VERY quick device....and the fact that the iPhone 5S can beat out some of the quad-core Android devices in Benchmarks goes to show that the Android OS is NOT optimized for devices....Blackberry is kind of like Apple...they make their devices with their OS in mind...thats why you can have dual-core devices keeping up with quad-core devices...its not saturated....and if Blackberry did make a quad-core device, would it really make much difference in use when you compare it to the dual-core current devices? Maybe on boot time...thats really it
    moderatefello likes this.
    03-30-14 04:49 PM
    The iPhone isn't a good comparison. The core in the Apple A7 is more akin to a desktop cpu than any other arm chip on the market. It's very, very quick and resembles Intel's modern cpus. It's actually a power hog, it just does the whole race to idle thing very well. Dual cores are the way to go, Apple did it best by far this time. Hopefully Qualcomm will follow so we can get some of that.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 01:40 PM
    Sometimes people get into the whole spec war!

I must admit before I found the z10 I had a new phone what felt like each month, the blackberry gers stuff done, enough apps with android runtime I have all the apps I need. 64gb micro sd card and cloud backup. The bb10 OS works gorgeously so does it matter what the specs are.

I am happy to "downgrade" to a z3 for s bigger sxreebbx

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 07:12 PM

The idea of the z3 is to be a cheaper z30 not a top of the line flagship

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 09:26 PM
    The idea of the z3 is to be a cheaper z30 not a top of the line flagship

Posted via CB10
    There they go having ideas

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 09:30 PM
    There they go having ideas

Posted via CB10
    Yeah....maybe what would be a z35 but the price for that would be outrageous....

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 09:36 PM
    In reality, there is no need for the quad-core and 3GB RAM....the Z10 is already DAMN fast and the Z30 is even quicker (from what i've been told, no experience with it as carriers here don't even keep it stocked for me to give it a test drive and compare it to my Z10)......the whole quad-core and 3GB RAM is for Android....look at the iPhone 5S...its got 1.3Ghz Dual core with 1GB RAM and its the fastest iPhone yet.....and yea, the Apple ecosystem sucks and the iPhone isn't all that great...but there is no denying its a VERY quick device....and the fact that the iPhone 5S can beat out some of the quad-core Android devices in Benchmarks goes to show that the Android OS is NOT optimized for devices....Blackberry is kind of like Apple...they make their devices with their OS in mind...thats why you can have dual-core devices keeping up with quad-core devices...its not saturated....and if Blackberry did make a quad-core device, would it really make much difference in use when you compare it to the dual-core current devices? Maybe on boot time...thats really it
    And all of that would be fine if BlackBerry priced the devices by the specs and not by the "it is my flagship therefore it is $600". If the Z10 had been priced at $400 out of the gate, it would have moved more units. Q10 maybe $450 to stick it to the PKB lovers. Z30 comes out you drop the Z10 and bring it in at $500 max. Apple has the first 64 bit processor and it is an in-house design, not a COTS product anyone can buy. This allows them to have an excuse for more expensive hardware because it is truly optimized from the hardware to the software.

The OS is a wash, you can't have a phone without one therefore it shouldn't add cost to the device. The OS makes money when BES gets activated and license revenue is generated.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 01:23 PM
    The Z30 could for the media and those so inclined have a 1080 P screen...otherwise I have no idea how it could actually get any faster. I love my Z10 but the Z30 is noticeably quicker

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 07:19 PM