2 days old on my z3. battery drops by 1% every 3 minutes or so when actively using the device (CB app, browser, hub, email, or opera mini). is this normal? any way to reduce this. my screen brightness is at the lowest setting.

Update: I've also noticed that the phone heats up during active usage. The back portion / center-top (near the camer)
    Last edited by Saurabh Nanda; 08-31-14 at 11:43 PM.
    08-30-14 03:55 AM
    1% every ten minutes is 6% an hour, or 16 hours of continual use. Ummm, how is that a problem?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 05:20 AM
    Z3 normally is very frugal with battery. At idle state it use just about 3 or 4% of battery through whole night and have near about same character while working in daytime.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 05:39 PM
    identifying battery hogs / battery dropping 1% every 10 minutes-img_20140831_091835.png

What do you think of this drop over the night after a 100% charge? Initially I was browsing on the Web for about 30-45 minutes and then the phone was idle throughout the night. The brightness is at the lowest setting.

I don't know whether this is acceptable for a smartphone with 2500mah battery. I've been used to small screen devices that gave me 2+ days on a single charge with heavy usage.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:01 PM
    Those days are gone my friend. BlackBerry is a work beast and beast devours! You are already getting good average. Be happy and enjoy your BlackBerry experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:21 PM
    So I timed my battery drops when actively using the phone..it went from 69% to 66% in a matter of 15 minutes. Here's what I was doing:

* browsing 2-3 websites in the native browser
    * browsing CB forums via the app
    * stopwatch was on in the background to record the time spent
    * device monitor was another active frame
    * Whatsapp, gtalk, and two email accounts are added to the hub

This does not seem normal to me. 1% drop every 5 minutes gives me only 8hours battery backup when being used actively.

Is this the expected battery performance for the Z3?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:24 PM
    Turn your screen brightness down.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:38 PM
    Turn your screen brightness down.

Posted via CB10
    That's the first thing I did. Already turned down to the minimum.

identifying battery hogs / battery dropping 1% every 10 minutes-img_20140831_101955.png

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 11:53 PM
    How to get 16 days standby time? Or how to evaluate it's going to be for 16days. Because my battery drops in night lot faster than expected.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 05:24 AM
    BBM AND PIM is sucking more battery it seems...unless you havnt made so many calls in bbm or you have so many mails coming up, it is abnormal...and in night battery down like this is not justifiable. Try hard rest...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140831_091835.png 
Views:	1496 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	294736

What do you think of this drop over the night after a 100% charge? Initially I was browsing on the Web for about 30-45 minutes and then the phone was idle throughout the night. The brightness is at the lowest setting.

I don't know whether this is acceptable for a smartphone with 2500mah battery. I've been used to small screen devices that gave me 2+ days on a single charge with heavy usage.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 06:36 AM
    BBM AND PIM is sucking more battery it seems...unless you havnt made so many calls in bbm or you have so many mails coming up, it is abnormal...and in night battery down like this is not justifiable. Try hard rest...
    What's the deal with these hard resets? The reason I moved out to BlackBerry was to get a rock solid stable OS, even if at the expense of apps. This seems like windows 95 days, format and reinstall the OS and everything works fine for 2 months. Then rinse and repeat.

Does this hard reset wipe out all data and apps from the phone?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 11:08 AM
    A hard reset does not erase phone data. Hold the volume up and volume down buttons until you see the blackberry logo.

Also from what is see in your screen shots you are getting very good if not exceptional battery drain for a smart phone with today's demands..

Posted by my Z10. Technology given to me by the Gods, or should I say the "Ancient Aliens"! 10.3.0.1052/1130/1154Hybrid.
    08-31-14 02:52 PM
    Did a hard reset. Nothing changed. Still drops 1% every 3-5 min of active usage.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 01:06 AM
    Did a hard reset. Nothing changed. Still drops 1% every 3-5 min of active usage.

Posted via CB10
    I think the Z3 can not meet your battery standard. From the screen shot, battery drain looks normal with a 5-inch device.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 05:39 AM
    Honestly your battery seems pretty good. Don't forget on BB10 if an app is open it's actually running, not just idle in the background. Having 4 apps open isn't just heavy use, it's maximal use. If that drops the battery 1% every 10 min that means 16 hours of very heavy use which is fantastic.

The screenshot you posted also seems fine. Really, you won't find a 5 inch phone with better battery on the market.

If you really want to see if there might be a problem, charge your phone overnight then use it like you normally would throughout the day. Then at the end of the day post a screenshot. Little 5 or 10 minute windows of exaggerated use won't tell you anything. Hope you're otherwise enjoying the phone!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 01:46 PM
    Honestly your battery seems pretty good. Don't forget on BB10 if an app is open it's actually running, not just idle in the background. Having 4 apps open isn't just heavy use, it's maximal use. If that drops the battery 1% every 10 min that means 16 hours of very heavy use which is fantastic.

The screenshot you posted also seems fine. Really, you won't find a 5 inch phone with better battery on the market.

If you really want to see if there might be a problem, charge your phone overnight then use it like you normally would throughout the day. Then at the end of the day post a screenshot. Little 5 or 10 minute windows of exaggerated use won't tell you anything. Hope you're otherwise enjoying the phone!

Posted via CB10
    It might be that my expectations are high. This is the first time that I'm using a 5" phone. Have been used to 3" ones or the old Nokias where the battery used to last for a week!

Having said that, I noticed that this rapid drop (it's 1% for every 5min) happens only when I'm at home using my 2G data plan. Yesterday in office the battery wasn't dropping as quickly over the WiFi. In fact the phone lasted me throughout the working day (checking emails occasionally, whatsapping, and 3hr of phone calls) with quite a bit of battery left when I was leaving for home.

Over the 2G phone network the handset heats up as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:00 PM
    What OS version are you using?? Update to the latest one. I remember on my Z30 the battery level dropped really quickly and on standby the battery was horrible. Updated to 10.2.1.3247 and the battery life was phenomenal . Update and check

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 01:09 PM
    Are you having a unstable 2G network reception at home? Which can be a major source of battery consumption..going by your figures battery seems to be behaving well..if it's a new phone, let the OS set in properly and whenever you get an official update, do it..
    While connected on Wifi, battery consumption is always low than being connected to mobile network.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 02:35 PM
    It might be that my expectations are high. This is the first time that I'm using a 5" phone. Have been used to 3" ones or the old Nokias where the battery used to last for a week!

Having said that, I noticed that this rapid drop (it's 1% for every 5min) happens only when I'm at home using my 2G data plan. Yesterday in office the battery wasn't dropping as quickly over the WiFi. In fact the phone lasted me throughout the working day (checking emails occasionally, whatsapping, and 3hr of phone calls) with quite a bit of battery left when I was leaving for home.

Over the 2G phone network the handset heats up as well.

Posted via CB10
    I would like to tell you my frd. Whether it is 2500, 3000 maH battery.

All smartphones need 2 times daily charging.

I am still in love with BlackBerry old curve low cost devices.
    I am thinking of burying them again, though at present I am using z10
    09-07-14 02:35 AM
    Is this normal on my Z3?

I can't seem to get standby of even two days.
    http://www.pasteall.org/pic/77770

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 06:36 PM
    Maybe your network provider signals its seem not really good in your areas,
    The phone will always searching better network signals, and that will cause your battery drain fast and more heat.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:22 AM
    Guys!! Please stop comparing the Z3 to old nokia phones or 3" phones. This is one of the best phones available in the market with a good battery life. A battery life of 8hrs on heavy usage is actually awesome in itself.

If you wanna compare, do that by making a list of things you did with your old nokia and what you do with device and draw a chart maybe?

Also, battery drain will be higher on 2G than 3G with data pulled is higher than 1MB per two mins. And if on wifi, you'll get much better battery life than on 2g or 3g irrespective of the amount of data pulled.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:52 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140831_091835.png 
Views:	1496 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	294736

Posted via CB10
    I think u left us browser running and too many BBM activity while u were asleep

Thanks 2 my ever SeXy Z3
    09-28-14 01:21 PM