Hi all,

My Z10 handest will not power up after dropping it once again.

I have already changed the screen myself fairly recently after an earlier fall where the screen cracked without any obvious problems from DIY.

This time the screen is not cracked, the device tries to power up - the red LED lights and now stays lit for about a minute but nothing on the screen. I've had it to bits again to look for anything obvious but everything is connected how it should be.

Any thoughts?

Regards
    02-26-14 03:51 AM
    Do a battery pull (then put battery back in), try connecting it to your computer, open Link then power up... Your handset might be damaged but you can give this a try
    Richard Anstess likes this.
    02-26-14 03:59 AM
    Hi all,

My Z10 handest will not power up after dropping it once again.

I have already changed the screen myself fairly recently after an earlier fall where the screen cracked without any obvious problems from DIY.

This time the screen is not cracked, the device tries to power up - the red LED lights and now stays lit for about a minute but nothing on the screen. I've had it to bits again to look for anything obvious but everything is connected how it should be.

Any thoughts?

Regards
    Sounds silly but it might be booting up but you can't tell cause that crack did more damage that you thought.

Sorry either way. Good luck.

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10 or Z30 on VZW from Philly
    02-26-14 04:22 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, no joy unfortunately - when I try to "reset device" in Link it asks me to power off by holding the power off for ten seconds - the red light does go off after the ten seconds but comes straight back on with no further action

Any other thoughts ?
    02-26-14 05:35 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, no joy unfortunately - when I try to "reset device" in Link it asks me to power off by holding the power off for ten seconds - the red light does go off after the ten seconds but comes straight back on with no further action

Any other thoughts ?
    I've heard for the reset you have to hold the power button down for like 40 seconds. But I'm not sure what that outcome is, i.e. a factory reset, etc. But looks like you're running out of options if you want to try it. I'd backup first if possible

02-26-14 06:21 AM
    No joy either just a sore thumb

Thanks anyway
    02-26-14 07:10 AM
    No joy either just a sore thumb

Thanks anyway
    have you tried connecting it with out the battery? then while clicking restore hold the off button down while putting the battery back in
    02-26-14 07:12 AM
    Pack in dry rice. Freezer

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 07:23 AM
    Pack in dry rice. Freezer

Posted via CB10
    How would this help, I'm curious? I know the rice thing is supposed to help a phone with water damage but a dropped one... not so sure
    02-26-14 07:29 AM
    I've heard for the reset you have to hold the power button down for like 40 seconds. But I'm not sure what that outcome is, i.e. a factory reset, etc. But looks like you're running out of options if you want to try it. I'd backup first if possible

No luck
    02-26-14 09:12 AM
    How would this help, I'm curious? I know the rice thing is supposed to help a phone with water damage but a dropped one... not so sure
    Yes I presume rice absorbs the humidity?
    02-26-14 09:14 AM
    Order an HDMI cable and plug the phone into an HDMI monitor or TV. That will let you see if the phone is dead or if the screen is. If the phone is dead, I suspect a cracked main board. If the screen is, I guess you get to do another screen change.
    Sounds a winner - sorry for the remedial question but want do I want on the other end of the HDMI - mini USB?

Will I be able to see a crack in the mother board with the naked eye (with magnifying glass)?

I'm actually a mechanic trying to save money no electronics wizard! Cheers
    02-26-14 09:17 AM
    The HDMI cable idea is a great suggestion, but you will need a TV or Monitor with an HDMI connection as well.

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 11:57 AM
    The cable is mini HDMI on one end and standard HDMI on the other end.

A cracked system board may or may not be easy to see. And frankly, it is very, very unlikely. Anyway, the best way to check for a crack is to flex the board. This is not for the the inexperienced with electronics since you need to know how it feels and sounds when cracked. If you get too enthusiastic, you may break it.

The hard reset is done by holding the top button until you get a long red LED. Since you have a Z10, removing the battery does the same thing.
    Thanks for your input. I had wondered since I was a virgin screen changer that I had perhaps cracked the board but I didn't bend it in the slightest and it worked for a few months before I dropped it again and instantly went dead.

The LED comes on long (for about a minute) as soon as the battery is introduced - something it did NOT do prior to being dropped this time so I thought it was perhaps a "light of death" as it were, something my PS3 did to me years back........

I'll buy the cable and pug into the TV and see what happens. Thanks very much for your input
    02-26-14 12:00 PM
    have you tried connecting it with out the battery? then while clicking restore hold the off button down while putting the battery back in
    Yes, tried it so many times my girlfriend threatened to leave me
    02-26-14 12:21 PM
    The LED should blink out a code if there is a fault. There are situations where it is totally hosed and it can't blink a code because the CPU is malfunctioning. In that case, there is no intelligence to run any diagnostics. A single long red LED is possibly just the default power on behavior and is telling you the phone is a basket case.

If it is booting but you can't tell because the screen is bad, try calling the number of the phone. If the phone rings, it's alive. Of course wait like 5 minutes after power up to be sure it is booted up. If that doesn't work, remove the SD card and SIM and see if that makes any difference. There is a limit to what can be done for troubleshooting these devices. If you have access to a battery, try a different one.
    I'm having the same issue and none of these suggestions have worked. I do think, however, that my phone is spitting out a code as you mention. Is there any way to decipher these codes?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:52 PM
    The LED should blink out a code if there is a fault. There are situations where it is totally hosed and it can't blink a code because the CPU is malfunctioning. In that case, there is no intelligence to run any diagnostics. A single long red LED is possibly just the default power on behavior and is telling you the phone is a basket case.

If it is booting but you can't tell because the screen is bad, try calling the number of the phone. If the phone rings, it's alive. Of course wait like 5 minutes after power up to be sure it is booted up. If that doesn't work, remove the SD card and SIM and see if that makes any difference. There is a limit to what can be done for troubleshooting these devices. If you have access to a battery, try a different one.
    Tried all of the above other than ringing it but since I can't enter the SIM PIN I'm not sure it would actually ring. It looks like I'm going to resign myself to it being dead, although I'll try the HDMI cable when it arrives. Thanks again.
    02-27-14 01:57 AM
    Before you do that just a shot in the dark here, where did you purchase your screen from? A real Blackberry dealer or a Chinese Ebay knock off dealer? Reason I ask is I in the past use to repair older versions of blackberry devices and I was a cut corners kinda guy ,well I found out the hard way it doesn't pay to repair your devices with non proper BlackBerry parts. Was the number on your original screen properly matched with the replacement? if it was me I would try one more screen replacement but make sure the numbers match up as well as try when you power up your device apply a little pressure to the screen at the same time to see if you get any display the contacts my not be touching properly .like I mentioned just a shot in the dark but worth a try. Good luck

My amazing BB Z10 - OS 2141 also on my Z30 backed up with my 32g PlayBook in the wings
    02-27-14 06:35 AM
    Before you do that just a shot in the dark here, where did you purchase your screen from? A real Blackberry dealer or a Chinese Ebay knock off dealer? Reason I ask is I in the past use to repair older versions of blackberry devices and I was a cut corners kinda guy ,well I found out the hard way it doesn't pay to repair your devices with non proper BlackBerry parts. Was the number on your original screen properly matched with the replacement? if it was me I would try one more screen replacement but make sure the numbers match up as well as try when you power up your device apply a little pressure to the screen at the same time to see if you get any display the contacts my not be touching properly .like I mentioned just a shot in the dark but worth a try. Good luck

My amazing BB Z10 - OS 2141 also on my Z30 backed up with my 32g PlayBook in the wings
    I did by off eBay from a guy in the UK. The numbers matched and it looked the real deal - the only thing I noticed was the screen didn't go black when making calls, which meant my ear often cut people off or tried to call someone else simultaneously.....the numbers though did match perfectly....
    02-27-14 07:01 AM