In my days I have seen lots of JVM errors on boot and had to reload the OS many times on both my 9700 and 9900 - usually a pain in the arse but not the end of the world. I have never had to do it to a BB10 device and have no idea how well it works or what the process is.

Today my wife ran into some issues with the hub. She opened a BBM in the hub and it did some weird stuff with attaching a photo, then basically wouldn't let her access anything else in the hub since it wasn't responding. She rebooted (never asked but I'm assuming soft reboot with the power button). It began to reboot but never got past the BB logo. It was like that for quite some time so I told her try using the Volume Down and power button to give it another reboot. At this point, the red light doesn't even come on after a battery pull or anything. Tried plugging it into a wall in case the battery was dead and still nothing. To me this sounds pretty bricked.

tl;dr my wifes phone won't even try to boot. Has anyone had any success using BB Link to reload an OS after such a problem? Any tips or troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks all.
    07-19-13 11:37 AM
    In my days I have seen lots of JVM errors on boot and had to reload the OS many times on both my 9700 and 9900 - usually a pain in the arse but not the end of the world. I have never had to do it to a BB10 device and have no idea how well it works or what the process is.

Today my wife ran into some issues with the hub. She opened a BBM in the hub and it did some weird stuff with attaching a photo, then basically wouldn't let her access anything else in the hub since it wasn't responding. She rebooted (never asked but I'm assuming soft reboot with the power button). It began to reboot but never got past the BB logo. It was like that for quite some time so I told her try using the Volume Down and power button to give it another reboot. At this point, the red light doesn't even come on after a battery pull or anything. Tried plugging it into a wall in case the battery was dead and still nothing. To me this sounds pretty bricked.

tl;dr my wifes phone won't even try to boot. Has anyone had any success using BB Link to reload an OS after such a problem? Any tips or troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks all.
    Did the phone recently do a software update? If so it can take some time again where the boot sits at 100%.

It's pretty hard to hard brick these things.

I'd suggest getting a autoloader and running on of those to see if it detects the device and reinstalls software. Keep in mind this wipes the device, however with it not booting at all, I don't see a way it can be salvaged (the data that is).

If the auto loader doesn't detect it, you may have fried the mother board doing the battery pulls during the reboot stages.
    07-19-13 11:54 AM
    It's pretty hard to hard brick these things.
    I've read that in a few places lol There haven't been any new updates or anything on it. Its running Rogers latest release software and was working well until today. I find it hard to believe the motherboard fried like that, but with the heatwave, who knows. The fact the red light doesn't come on at all makes me wonder though.

I'll try an autoloader and see what happens. If I can get something to detect the phone hopefully I can get it to reload everything.

Thanks.
    07-19-13 01:45 PM
    Mine did the same thing after my morning alarm went off I hit dismiss and that was it. DEAD. Sent it back through carrier. They managed to get me the same phone for a loaner. Bell (service provider).My phone was still fairly new.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 04:53 PM
    Ya the wifes got a Curve for a loaner right now. I've got a case number and the phone has been deemed defective so it will be sent in for repair but likely end up being replaced.
    07-20-13 09:57 AM
    I'm expecting the same. It just hit to the repair center on Wednesday.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 10:39 AM
    The same thing happened to my Z10 last month. There are a couple of threads in this forum about it too.

The only sign of life I get is if I plug the phone into my laptop and hold the power button for 15 seconds, at which point the LED blinks twice.

It is defective. But the BB warranty says you have to send it to the point of purchase for service. In my case, the point of purchase was not a carrier, it was TekShop.ca. They're refusing all responsibility for the warranty telling me I have to contact BB for warranty service, even though I sent them the full text of the BB warranty policy. Now, BB and TekShop.ca won't reply to any of my messages. So, I'm taking legal action.
    07-20-13 12:15 PM
    Oh, and I tried using BB Link to reload, but it didn't work because BB Link claims the device is not connected.
    07-20-13 12:18 PM
    Yep that was my exact situation. Plugged in it blinks twice if you hold the power button (mine was 10 seconds though) and BB Link or the blackberry.com/updates page both say the device isn't connected. Impossible to restore

Oh well, yes back to BB and exchanged thanks to warranty
    07-23-13 08:35 AM
    Mine is on its way back. Should be here in a few days. Loaner Z is working great

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 04:34 PM
    Got a new one. Of course they put my old battery and back plate on? Weird.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 03:18 AM