z10 won't back up on bb link. The phone is recognized when I hook it up to computer via usb in BB Link. When I hit the back up button, almost immediately the exclamation mark comes up advising that the back up did not work as the device doesn't have a BLACKBERRY I.D associated to it and tells me to log into my bbid on my device to do the download.

My bbid is on my phone, as you have to input that info on original start up, and when you go to bbid setting on z10, it doesn't give you an option to sign in to it like the error back up message is advising me to do.

Anyone else have this issue?
    03-08-13 06:20 AM
    [QUOTE=pc2717;8089461]z10 won't back up on bb link. The phone is recognized when I hook it up to computer via usb in BB Link. When I hit the back up button, almost immediately the exclamation mark comes up advising that the back up did not work as the device doesn't have a BLACKBERRY I.D associated to it and tells me to log into my bbid on my device to do the download.[QUOTE]

Couple questions:

- Are you signed into BBID on Link too? If not, you should be.
    - Do nyou have a firewall on? I had issues with signing in on Link because of a virus program at first.
    - Make sure your laptop doesn't go into sleep mode. Mine kept disconnecting the device in 'sleep mode' and ending the backup. Once I turned that off, everything backed up.

Be prepared to wait as well. 16 GB is a long backup relative to - say a 512 MB BlackBerry of old

Don't know if it will help, but a couple of suggestions.
    03-08-13 06:30 AM
    Do you have Recipe Box installed? I have read that this app has been found to have a bug that causes the backup to fail.

Posted via CB10
    Cappyshirt likes this.
    03-08-13 06:42 AM
    Hi there,

I had this same error, I had to create a brand new blackberry ID and then sign into it on my phone and after that the backup just worked. Sucks if you've bought apps already but if you haven't it's a nice easy fix.
    03-08-13 06:46 AM
    Anyone else have this issue?
    There have been various reports of unreliable backup using Link, I don't know if the following includes the precise issue you mention with regards to BBID, however:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...my-z10-772642/
    03-08-13 06:59 AM
    I'm in the exact same situation. using a desktop computer with windows 7 x64 and dual booting with Windows 8 x64 and neither OS will let me back up. I HAD the recipe box on, and unistalled that, and still won't backup. I have left my phone connected to back up for 2hrs earlier this week, and no go. It would sync the music and photos and then bang, get to the backup, and it would start, and then give an error 5min later.
    BradG6 likes this.
    03-08-13 07:04 AM
    I'm in the same boat. The only time I was able to back up fully on my desktop was when I first got it. Now it repeatedly stalls out and gives me an error message. The only things I can back up on my desktop are Pics and Media.

I've uninstalled the previous Desktop Manager and Link and then did a reinstall and it still wouldn't work. Incidentally, I did them same on my MacBook pro and a full backup finally worked on it so I don't know what the issue is on my desktop.

Not crucial but very annoying. Hopefully someone can chime in with a legit solution and not a work around. We shouldn't have to do that for something so basic.
    03-08-13 01:34 PM
    hi guys
    i am having the same problem downloaded the entire update on the blackberry link as it approached the end off the download it just said fail this was using blackberry own software they have rushed this to market but i understand why there dieing a painful death and its very public i have had loads of trouble with my z10 the network signal disappears if i reset the phone the swipe is very weird not to mention the dreadful battery performance this is not a winner if they dont start fixing these bugs i dont have wifi so i cant update and i am disabled and house bound so its not like i can go to the local library and download via there free wifi just seems mad to bring something out with so many holes but i guess if windows 95 through vista worked for microsoft then who knows were blackberry will go
    03-08-13 01:44 PM
    While there are surely some issues with Link itself that could use improvement, my experience in general with USB-linked sync tools on PC's is that there are lots of reliability issues.

Most people have so much junk that is either connected to, or that "clamps on" to the USB ports (ie iTunes, which monitors the port and wants to launch and take over whatever you plug in there), that conflicts are common.
    03-08-13 03:26 PM
    Most people have so much junk that is either connected to, or that "clamps on" to the USB ports (ie iTunes, which monitors the port and wants to launch and take over whatever you plug in there), that conflicts are common.
    How does one fix that problem?

ETA: This obviously wasn't my problem, but the Recipe Box seems to have been because I deleted it and now my Z10 is merrily backing up to my desktop. I did reboot the phone (no battery pull; just turned it off and back on) before I retried the backup.

Thanks for the tip, those of you who discovered it!
    03-08-13 10:47 PM
    Removing PC Recipe Box allowed me to backup again as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-13 11:02 PM
    I'm in the same boat. The only time I was able to back up fully on my desktop was when I first got it. Now it repeatedly stalls out and gives me an error message. The only things I can back up on my desktop are Pics and Media.

I've uninstalled the previous Desktop Manager and Link and then did a reinstall and it still wouldn't work. Incidentally, I did them same on my MacBook pro and a full backup finally worked on it so I don't know what the issue is on my desktop.

Not crucial but very annoying. Hopefully someone can chime in with a legit solution and not a work around. We shouldn't have to do that for something so basic.
    I had the same issue so I just reloaded the OS thru blackberry link.little drastic but it works mind you will lose everything except photos and videos
    03-08-13 11:18 PM
    Im on the PC Recipe Box Train..... that app almost ruined my day
    03-09-13 02:51 PM
    I put the Z10 on airplane mode and bang, she backed up!!!!!

I also signed out of Link when I opened it, resigned in, then plugged phone in which was already on airplane mode and it backed up.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 05:29 PM
    So to summarize so far this thread and the other previously linked Blackberry Link thread, some things that have helped people who had problems with Blackberry Link not backing up their Z10:

• Remove the "PC Recipe Box" app from the Z10
    • Turn on Airplane Mode on the Z10 first
    • Remove the MicroSD flash memory card from the Z10 first
    • Remove non-working (yellow exclamation point) Blackberry device from Device Manager, re-plug Z10 and allow device to re-install
    03-10-13 03:05 AM
    My Z10 backup worked flawlessly on 1st attempt. Had the lastest OS firmware and BBLink update, (Win7 ultimate 64bit on laptop).
    1. PC Recipe Box was never installed.
    2. Z10 was in Airplane Mode (I'll try to back up in non-Airplane mode at a later date to see what happens)
    3. Micro SD card was left inserted in Z10
    4. Z10 device driver was properly installed in Device Manager
    03-10-13 05:06 PM
    What is up with needing to be in airplane mode?
    03-10-13 05:08 PM
    I have had problems backing up the PlayBook and now my Z10 onto my home laptop with Vista 64-bit.

The easiest work around for me is to head over to my trusty desktop with 32-bit Windows XP, and 'bam!' backup completes properly every time.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-13 05:14 PM
    I have had problems backing up the PlayBook and now my Z10 onto my home laptop with Vista 64-bit.

The easiest work around for me is to head over to my trusty desktop with 32-bit Windows XP, and 'bam!' backup completes properly every time.
    That's not entirely unlike what I resorted-to when helping a friend whose older Blackberry Desktop Manager stopped working on her Windows XP laptop. After screwing around for hours trying to troubleshoot what dumb driver or app probably conflicted with Desktop Manager's ability to communicate over USB, I just installed the Mac version of Desktop Manager on her iMac and had her sync to that.

There are lots of cases with Windows that it is just far too complicated and time-consuming to try to unwind the Windows hairball (particularly if you do not own/manage the PC and are not aware of the "change history") to make it worthwhile trying to fix something, you end up having to bypass the whole thing. (If the end user is talking to the vendor's support staff, that's the part where they tell you to "reinstall the operating system". )
    03-10-13 05:36 PM
    What is up with needing to be in airplane mode?

See this:

I put the Z10 on airplane mode and bang, she backed up!!!!!
    I believe they are not the only ones that discovered that fixed BB Link backup failures.
    03-10-13 05:39 PM
    My Z10 backup worked flawlessly on 1st attempt. Had the lastest OS firmware and BBLink update, (Win7 ultimate 64bit on laptop).
    1. PC Recipe Box was never installed.
    2. Z10 was in Airplane Mode (I'll try to back up in non-Airplane mode at a later date to see what happens)
    3. Micro SD card was left inserted in Z10
    4. Z10 device driver was properly installed in Device Manager
    Update: I did a 2nd backup successfully in non-airplane mode connected to the mobile network without a hiccup.
    03-10-13 11:50 PM
    Well, I tried airplane mode and removed my micro SD card, but the backup always fails at 3% Blackberry Link sucks compared to Desktop Manager !!!
    03-11-13 12:33 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's all about recipe box. I never had a problem until I installed it, and I haven't had a problem since deleting it.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 07:45 AM
    Well, I tried airplane mode and removed my micro SD card, but the backup always fails at 3% Blackberry Link sucks compared to Desktop Manager !!!
    BB Link has it's shortcomings, no doubt, but the ability to perform a backup is not a problem of BB Link so much as a problem with how and what some of us install on our device.
    I had an issue backing up my Playbook using DM until I removed a couple of 'buggy' Apps. I had a problem backing up my Z10 until I removed PC Recipe Box. I didn't turn off wifi, BT, NFC, turn on airplane mode, reboot the PC or Z10 or do anything else. I just removed an App.
    I'm not saying Recipe Box is the cause for everyone that can't do a backup but I am guessing it has something to do with an App, whether from BB World or perhaps even sideloaded, that we have installed on our Z10s.
    03-11-13 10:00 AM
    Had a greyed out Backup menu item in BBLink....tried a number of items to correct...no go. Today I was messing around with the media card settings to solve an never ending encryption process...decided to re-format the card and start over placing data on it. Almost immediately after the reformat, BBLink launches a backup process automatically. I didn't get excited...as I have seen them start then stop within moments with a failed message. However this was different...the phone display actually shows the progress bar....it stayed at 0% for 10 minutes or more...noticed my whole pc runnig sluggish, and I shut down a PC back-process (Memeo Instant Backup) that kicks in on reboot to move new files to a NAS drive. Stopping that process got my BBLink backup moving and progressing on the phone. now at 5% after 45 mins!
    03-11-13 09:53 PM
39 12