I'd love to say that BlackBerry has had amazing developer support since launch, but I really can't. BlackBerry is falling further behind in this regard, if anything. Even compared to Windows Phone, BB10 just doesn't have some major apps. For example, Yelp, TripAdvisor, Chase, Bank of America, Pandora, Netflix, Paypal, and even games like Temple Run, Words With Friends, 4 Pics 1 Word, etc. WP has all of these, BB10 doesn't.

Obviously, I can't blame BlackBerry for this, especially when Chase released their new WP app just before WP8 launched (clearly supporting it), and yet took off their support for legacy BlackBerry OS app, which has millions of users, and announced no plans to support BB10 just as the platform was launched in the US. Also, when major corporations like eBay, Amazon, Continental all support (native, obviously) apps on WP and choose to put out crap ports on BB10, it's telling of the current climate.

Another big issue on the horizon is how many apps will support the Q10.

P.s. I realize that WP has been out for a while, but many of these apps have actually only begun supporting the platform with the launch of WP8, which was really only 2 months before BB10.

Though, opinions?
    03-30-13 06:57 AM
    You are absolutely right! I was just telling someone else that it seems as if there is a personal bias AGAINST BlackBerry as there are many BIG names apps and companies that have either refused or withdrawn support for mobile apps that will work on the BB10 platform. It's as if BlackBerry itself did something to **** the app world off, I don't know what the issues really are, maybe they weren't expecting BlackBerry to ever crawl out of the cellar again...
    ediggity likes this.
    03-30-13 07:32 AM
    Many of these companies will come around when they realize how many OS10 devices are getting out there.

Some won't. And then consumers will have to make a choice.

I would respectfully disagree with the 'app gap growing' as BlackBerry is adding apps quite quickly.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:56 AM
    If the usage of BB10 increases the apps will come.

Companies / developers will not spend time creating apps if the user base is low.

Simple economics.
    03-30-13 07:57 AM
    I really don't want that apps ;-)

I would prefer more webbased services, because I'm not enjoying that app hunt as a multiple plattform user. Companies should develop more HTML 5 based so that the user can benefit with the device of his choice and not with the device the app is occasionally available.

Maybe upcoming Firefox and Ubuntu on mobile devices will pull in that direction, too.

And beside, one of the top features of the Z10 is the superior browser...why don't use it?

Posted via CB with my Z10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    03-30-13 08:08 AM
    I really don't want that apps ;-)

I would prefer more webbased services, because I'm not enjoying that app hunt as a multiple plattform user. Companies should develop more HTML 5 based so that the user can benefit with the device of his choice and not with the device the app is occasionally available.

Maybe upcoming Firefox and Ubuntu on mobile devices will pull in that direction, too.

And beside, one of the top features of the Z10 is the superior browser...why don't use it?

Posted via CB with my Z10
    Ok so what happens to all these HTML apps when you have no data?
    03-30-13 08:09 AM
    I personally don't feel that the lack of apps are really affecting the sales of the Z10 in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    03-30-13 08:10 AM
    OP has it revered.... not an issue of WP being out longer it is the fact the BB10 is new and has the Blackberry name... time to face facts... BB will suffer from a negative outlook because of past sins..... it will take a number of years for that attitude to change... if you were a developer... you see WP8 backed by Microsoft.... then you see BB which many believed will be sold or die.... who would you develop for.... In essence they will always have an app gap.... BB did an admirable job getting the major apps they have... but as usual... not good enough... what happens when Yelp, TripAdvisor, Chase, Bank of America, Pandora, Netflix, Paypal, and even games like Temple Run, Words With Friends, 4 Pics 1 Word actually show up.... If BB 1O is successful it will happen... people will post the next set of apps that are missing.... Spotify.. Pandora...Instagram... etc...it will never end... the bottom line is if you look at any platform and find a couple of apps " you have to have" and are missing......the platform is a fail.... here is a novel idea... how about enjoying what you have ... anticipate what you know is coming and quit expecting anything in the future... and your smartphone experience will be much more rewarding....
    alan510, trynacu2 and Cold Dog like this.
    03-30-13 08:17 AM
    The app gap is closing quickly. In fact much quicker than many of the pundits thought.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 08:21 AM
    I don't think the App gap is a real concern and at the end of the day new apps are developed every single day and eventually its very possible that some awesome apps (the new skype or twitter) would be developed exclusively for BB10 that will never make it to IOS or android. What I want to know is that you have 60 + million IOS users jail breaking their phones because they are sick of apple. Can BB not get these jail broken apps on the BB10? I believe when a phone is jail broken that it now becomes open source like android ? I am not familiar with it as I hate apple LMAO
    03-30-13 08:34 AM
    Ok so what happens to all these HTML apps when you have no data?
    Apps don't work without data either. Games will, but every app and some games mentioned in the OP will not work without data. Apps as we see them now are a fad and most will be replaced with HTML5. Douchebags like Instagram will need to change their exclusionary ways.
    03-30-13 08:47 AM
    Don't forget Instagram.... that is a big one that needs to be native.

Anyway, simple fact that the more people who move to BB 10, the more apps we'll have. But it isn't helping that people buy the phone and leave without researching apps first.
    akavbb likes this.
    03-30-13 08:50 AM
    But it isn't helping that people buy the phone and leave without researching apps first.
    Totally agree...
    03-30-13 08:51 AM
    For me, I choose a phone more over the actual.... phone. Apps are just an extra for me. I did sideload a few, but I use the browser for my bank and can use the actual site, not the mobile because the browser is great. I can use Pandora on the browser too since there is Flash.
    One_Cam, wasabiGT, 3_M4N and 2 others like this.
    03-30-13 08:52 AM
    I hate to agree with you about Instagram. I really dont think Instagram would be a make or break thing for me. But it is for the rest of the people who use smart phones.

For me, I choose a phone more over the actual.... phone. Apps are just an extra for me. I did sideload a few, but I use the browser for my bank and can use the actual site, not the mobile because the browser is great. I can use Pandora on the browser too since there is Flash.
    03-30-13 09:06 AM
    Yep I Know it sucks and today I tried to return my BB z10 for another phone well I'm stuck with it now. So I had to get another phone put on my account so I can use the apps I need. Finally using skype on this new 5 phone. My business contacts thought I went out of business thanks to Blackberry no Skype.!!! if someone wants to buy my z10 there welcome too it. I'm in nova scotia.
    03-30-13 09:15 AM
    I completely agree with this, but the truth is that is less than ideal and not good enough for most consumers. I mean why go through the hassle of having a slow site with no integration when other platforms offer the app? I really hope developers will start taking BB10 more seriously. And by developers, I don't mean the ones doing 100 apps/day in portathons just to drive the numbers up. I mean developers making desirable apps like the ones I listed in the first post.
    03-30-13 09:15 AM
    Short answer is yes it will. That's not to say sales won't be good, but many people will choose a different device because of it. I have to admit, I am a little frustrated that some apps are missing or not out yet, especially banking apps.
    Instagram right now among young people is massive and BlackBerry really needs to get it soon. Like it or not..
    03-30-13 09:16 AM
    Yep I Know it sucks and today I tried to return my BB z10 for another phone well I'm stuck with it now. So I had to get another phone put on my account so I can use the apps I need. Finally using skype on this new 5 phone. My business contacts thought I went out of business thanks to Blackberry no Skype.!!! if someone wants to buy my z10 there welcome too it. I'm in nova scotia.
    Get lost please.

This thread wasn't meant to bring people like you in here. If you bought a phone not knowing what apps were on it and magically expected them to show up, you have no one to blame but yourself. Yes, Skype was supposed to be here by now, but honestly, if anyone buys this phone and needs Skype that badly, they're doing themselves a major disservice. It's going to be a crappy port even when it does arrive. Why didn't you just but a new "5 phone" from the beginning? These types of ignorant posts are so annoying, and more of a reflection of the poster than anything else.

P.S. I normally don't care much about grammar on forums, but FFS go back to school. Maybe it's better that your business contacts couldn't reach you? They've saved themselves from some serious headaches trying to decipher your horrendously cryptic writing.
    03-30-13 09:18 AM
    Sigh...nice ... yet another thread that is created by someone that purports to being a "Supporter", but with a negative thread title designed to jump out at any perspective purchasers perusing the forums.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 09:26 AM
    Sigh...nice ... yet another thread that is created by someone that purports to being a "Supporter", but with a negative thread title designed to jump out at any perspective purchasers perusing the forums.
    I'm not trying to dissuade anyone Just merely stating facts. I absolutely love my Z10, which I actually bought as a "secondary" device, but ended up being my primary device when I decided to sell my Nexus 4.

Think of it this way. If someone buys this phone assuming that these apps are on there, they're more likely to spread slander, come on crackberry complaining about their lack of research, and return the phone anyways. A perfect example is the post I replied to above yours. Look at what he wrote, and look at my response. I'm definitely not trying to encourage that kind of crap.
    03-30-13 09:28 AM
    A lot of help you are. I got the new bb10 because because bb told everyone skype and other major apps would be out in 2 weeks. I been lied to since i bought the phone. I can't rely on a Comming Soon. I need a comfirmed date. Which never came. BB has done it a again Great product terrible support.
    03-30-13 09:31 AM
    A lot of help you are. I got the new bb10 because because bb told everyone skype and other major apps would be out in 2 weeks. I been lied to since i bought the phone. I can't rely on a Comming Soon. I need a comfirmed date. Which never came. BB has done it a again Great product terrible support.
    Actually, Blackberry has never confirmed an official date for Skype's release. Ironically, they've always (since day 1) said "coming soon." Why you bought the phone is beyond me.

If you took Alec Saunder's words seriously, then that is your problem, not his. Besides the fact that he was likely told something by Skype, only to have them not go through with it on time, his Twitter account clearly states "Opinions are my own."
    03-30-13 09:34 AM
    I don't feel the lack of applications affecting BBRY's sales, if there is a lack. The applications you mention I never use or never will use even if they came out for OS10. I think the most positive thing I have seen on TV on the news (BNN) is them saying likely BBRY will have quality applications not quantity ones, so basically not having 100,000 fart apps like Apple and Android have won't hurt BBRY one bit.
    03-30-13 09:34 AM
    BBRY will have quality applications not quantity ones
    Sadly, this is the exact opposite of what's happening. I don't mind BB trying to get a ton of crap apps just to boost their numbers, as a lot of news sites and even developers are swayed by those kinds of headlines, but the major apps are what's really important. Blackberry 10 has nearly caught up to Windows Phone's app count, but has is still missing plenty of important apps that are available on that platform.
    03-30-13 09:37 AM
74 123