Hi there. I still want to believe in BB and received my new Z10 yesterday (upgrading from Curve 9360). It's discouraging, though, that I can't seem to access Blackberry.com for support - neither Google nor IE will launch it on my laptop. But the real immediate problem is that after less than an hour of charging, the wall plug was bloody scary hot! I know that the power source is okay because it's the same one that charged the Curve for the last 2-1/2 years (though its battery is pooched now - overheats and shuts down at random...). I also know that the connections were okay because the battery image was correct (though I miss the flashing LED but read about that issue on another forum). Soooo, is it because it's new that it heated up? Does it have its own built-in safety to prevent fire or shock, and that's why it heated up? Should I try again or just return/exchange it a.s.a.p.? Thanks!
    07-09-14 07:49 AM
    Hi there. I still want to believe in BB and received my new Z10 yesterday (upgrading from Curve 9360). It's discouraging, though, that I can't seem to access Blackberry.com for support - neither Google nor IE will launch it on my laptop. But the real immediate problem is that after less than an hour of charging, the wall plug was bloody scary hot! I know that the power source is okay because it's the same one that charged the Curve for the last 2-1/2 years (though its battery is pooched now - overheats and shuts down at random...). I also know that the connections were okay because the battery image was correct (though I miss the flashing LED but read about that issue on another forum). Soooo, is it because it's new that it heated up? Does it have its own built-in safety to prevent fire or shock, and that's why it heated up? Should I try again or just return/exchange it a.s.a.p.? Thanks!
    My charger's quite hot also when charging, and it's been like that and I've been using it for more than a year so I would say don't worry too much. Charging is quite slow (750 mAh) so as long as your phone isn't performing too much while charging, it should still within specifications.
    syah iejam likes this.
    07-09-14 08:22 AM
    I think that depends on the room temperature. If it's well ventilated and the room's a tad cold, then you wouldn't have that piping hot charger. But here in the tropics, the charger gets very hot.

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    07-09-14 08:24 AM
    Let's see if anyone else has an answer. I use my Playbook charger to charge my z10. And since it is now fully charged, it is not hot. But really hot does not sound good. If you can visit carrier or where you purchased it, I would use another charger. Does the Curve charger have the same usb plug so you could use that for the moment?
    igor10000 and Muffella like this.
    07-09-14 08:33 AM
    Let's see if anyone else has an answer. I use my Playbook charger to charge my z10. And since it is now fully charged, it is not hot. But really hot does not sound good. If you can visit carrier or where you purchased it, I would use another charger. Does the Curve charger have the same usb plug so you could use that for the moment?
    The charger that came with the Curves are only 50 mA lower (700 mAh) than the stock Z10 charger (750 mAh). Not much difference. The PlayBook charger has a higher output rating and it's still safe, so I can say that using the lower rating, charger out-of-the-box of the Z10 will be just fine.
    07-09-14 08:45 AM
    My stock Z10 (US STL100-3) came with a 850mAh charger, so you are 150mAh off from what BlackBerry recommends for the Z10.

I don't know if that would result in excess heat, but I would recommend using the BlackBerry recommended charger to charge your phone

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zyphen; 09-29-14 at 05:09 PM.
    ronfc likes this.
    07-09-14 08:48 AM
    My stock Z10 charger (US STL100-3) came with a 850mAh charger, so you are 150mAh off from what BlackBerry recommends for the Z10.

I don't know if that would result in excess heat, but I would recommend using the BlackBerry recommended charger to charge your phone

Posted via CB10
    I agree, just use the charger that came with your phone. That should be fine. Now, for the sake of information, my STL100-1 comes with a 750 mAh charger while a friend's STL100-3 came with also the same rating.
    07-09-14 08:53 AM
    Stock Z10 charger doesn't even feel warm to the touch.
    07-09-14 09:13 AM
    My STL-3 came with a 750 ma charger..its best to charge with the stock charger.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 09:30 AM
    The stock charger gets hot too.. it's a property of the transformer to produce heat, and since it's a tiny one the body acts as a heat sink
    ronfc and Muffella like this.
    07-09-14 09:43 AM
    The stock charger gets hot too.. it's a property of the transformer to produce heat, and since it's a tiny one the body acts as a heat sink
    Very well explained.
    Muffella likes this.
    07-09-14 10:21 AM

Z10 has two wall plugs capacity 700mA and 750mA. I have brought a new 2 pins wall plug 750mA and piping hot is due to room temperature .
    Z10 Wall Charge Plug is PIPING HOT!-img_20140625_185039.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:47 AM
    Wall plug... is this the cube type charger? it normally gets hot when in use but there are also other reasons why it can get even hotter. Loose connection from charger to socket can make it really hot. Try charging it in a different outlet and see if it heats the same way. If it's still abnormally hot like you can't even touch it then yeah have the charger replaced.

BBQ10
    Muffella likes this.
    07-09-14 10:49 AM
    Z10 charger 2 pins wall plug have 700mA and 750mA . The 2 pins wall plugs design is compact.
    Z10 Wall Charge Plug is PIPING HOT!-img_20140702_221500.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 10:55 AM
    those who use the playbook charger for their bb10 device to be very careful, 3-4 month ago I was using that charger from time to time, and someday I received a call while charging so I decided to answer, I felt an electric shock (not a big one though but enough to be annoying) at my ear so I decided to unplug it right away and the electric shock went away, because I'm the kind of guy that really want to know how stuff work I decide to redo the test couple time using the playbook charger and the charger that came with my phone. The shock only happen when I was on a call using the playbook charger so I decided to stop using it and never did after. It could be the outlet that I was using but this issue did not happen with the bb10 charger.

I think that may killed some part of the battery with that because now my phone have hard time running for a full day (q10) and it was lasting at least 2, 2 1/2 day.
    07-09-14 11:13 AM
    I only use the OEM folding blade charger that came with my PlayBook and haven't had any problems with my Q10. I actually bought 2 of them via Amazon a few months back for $4.99 total and free shipping. I think eBay has them as well and they are definitely OEM. I haven't seen anyone say anything negative about using this charger.
    07-09-14 11:28 AM
    Wall plug... is this the cube type charger? it normally gets hot when in use but there are also other reasons why it can get even hotter. Loose connection from charger to socket can make it really hot. Try charging it in a different outlet and see if it heats the same way. If it's still abnormally hot like you can't even touch it then yeah have the charger replaced.

BBQ10
    Yes, it is the cube type, same as the Curve; I agree, I would never substitute one charger for another on devices like this. And the room temperature is not an issue (an airy 22C), with plenty of air space around the receptacle which is half-way up the wall. The phone was powered on, but I didn't have any programs running. It has now been charging in the same receptacle, powered off, and is not quite as hot but still too hot for my liking. Thanks for the replies; I understand about the generated heat, but I don't ever remember the charger on the Curve even getting warm, so I will try a different receptacle to see if any difference.
    07-09-14 11:32 AM
    Again, my stock charger doesn't even get warm and it is plugged in 24/7. Only an "inefficient" transformer gets hot in use. In other words, one that is cheap or broken. I just went around my office and laid hands on all the a/c > device transformers I have running and only the one to my Xbox is noticeably warm. Now, I'm converting 110 (approx) a/c. Still, if my phone power plug got as hot as described I would toss it.
    07-09-14 12:35 PM
    The STANDARD Playbook charger is sold by BB as its premium charger for their phones. I think it should be safe. I've been using it since Sept on the z10 with no problems. I used it on the 9930 before that.
    07-09-14 06:55 PM
    I'm. Also having the same issue in my bz10
    . I charge d it till 100%after that the battery dropped to 0% in an hour and is still used it in 0% more than 4 hour bit it didn't shut down after the four hours of continuous use....and my left side of my phone heats up quickly

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 08:47 PM
    You need to understand how a wall charger works. Just because it says 1,000 mah, doesn't mean it's always giving that much. The device is going to draw current at whatever rate it can. If the device is trying to draw 2.0 mAH, and the charger is only providing 750, then it's only going to get 750. In theory, if the charger was overloaded, it could output more than the rated current, but at expense of heat and "poor power". If the voltage is dirty, there's a VERY good chance your phone is going to be damaged permanently.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-14 09:00 PM
    The STANDARD Playbook charger is sold by BB as its premium charger for their phones. I think it should be safe. I've been using it since Sept on the z10 with no problems. I used it on the 9930 before that.
    Yes I believe they market as a rapid charger for their smartphones.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    07-09-14 10:27 PM
    Both the rapid charger and the stock Z10 charger never even feel warm to the touch. The devices do heat up a little if you're playing a game while charging. I spend most of my time in singapore /malaysia/ indonesia. It's 30*c here most of the time.
    07-10-14 12:42 PM
    Also need to consider the AC voltage in use. Our chargers are compatible for both North Ameri and European voltages, with an appropriate socket pin adaptor as needed.
    I'm sure this will change surface temps while in use.

Flicked out via Zed10
    07-10-14 02:57 PM