Did BlackBerry:

(a) Spend Millions on a February 3 Superbowl commercial;

(b) Throw a huge launch event on January 30 in New York;

(c) Give out review units in late January to the US media;

Only to launch without dates for US release, which now appear to be no earlier than the end of March?

I fear that something is not going according to plan in the US.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-14-13 03:10 PM
    Let's go point by point:

Did BlackBerry:

(a) Spend Millions on a February 3 Superbowl commercial;
    There's a few schools of thought on that one. Sure, ideally there would have been phones for US users to go buy the next day, but you realize that Super Bowl advertising isn't just for the people watching the game, right? It's almost a kind of status symbol that carries little regard for actually attracting customers. I refer you to some of the truly ridiculous ads bought by Internet startups that actually bragged about how much money they were wasting. The famous 1984 Apple ad might be iconic now, but back then it didn't do much to sell computers; the Mac sold maybe a third of projections that first year.

BB bought that ad to make the point that they're still here, and still have the cash to market their new phone. They wanted to make that point not just to their customers, but to Samsung as well.

(b) Throw a huge launch event on January 30 in New York;
    New York is still one of the great media capitals of the world. And even if the phones weren't available right away, it was still a significant "we're back" statement.

(c) Give out review units in late January to the US media;
    Not sure where your problem is with this one. Are you suggesting that maybe they shouldn't have given out review units until the Z10 was widely available in the US? You do know that people in other countries read US tech blogs, right? Not to mention, it continues to send the message that BB is still around and has new product around the corner.

Only to launch without dates for US release, which now appear to be no earlier than the end of March?

I fear that something is not going according to plan in the US.
    Interestingly enough, T-Mo has now said they're definitely moving their launch date up at least two weeks, and more if they can help it. There are now some interesting indication that other carriers are looking to follow suit.

Has it occurred to you that maybe the US carriers wanted a couple of months to see how well the Z10 would be received in other markets?

I thought that app was read-only. Am I missing something?
    02-14-13 03:28 PM
    I thought that app was read-only. Am I missing something?
    It seems you are. You can even reply with quote.

I paid a ton of cash to get a Z10 in the US and I love it. I just think that something is going on with the carriers here and it isn't good.

02-14-13 03:35 PM
    I think they told BBRY to get the rest of their apps (proprietary) and the necessary updates before they release. Just my thoughts tho.
    02-14-13 03:45 PM
    You all must have missed the story from RIM/BB where like 2 weeks ago they did not have production handsets for Verizon as of yet.
    02-14-13 03:46 PM
    You all must have missed the story from RIM/BB where like 2 weeks ago they did not have production handsets for Verizon as of yet.
    Link?

One thing to keep in mind is that BlackBerry will not manufacture product before it has an order. Do you really think that RIM would not do everything possible to fill Verizon's order in a timely way? I can't image that would happen.

02-14-13 03:50 PM
    I think they told BBRY to get the rest of their apps (proprietary) and the necessary updates before they release. Just my thoughts tho.
    I hope this is the case because there seem to be better apps on PlayBook than for BB10. Plus many big apps are still missing.

02-14-13 03:52 PM
    Or is it that Canadians are more forgiving and it gives them time to work out issues before the US release?

02-14-13 04:13 PM
    I am no conspiracy theorist but I do question if Apple's relationship with the major US carries (and minimum quota requirements) had any pull with the extended testing required in their markets. Thorsten Heins was very politically correct as he tip toed around the subject.
    world saviour likes this.
    02-14-13 04:21 PM
    02-14-13 04:22 PM
    That story just says that there will be no (Red) Limited edition z10s for the Devs for Verizon. This has nothing to do with production phones.
    02-14-13 05:53 PM
    I am no conspiracy theorist but I do question if Apple's relationship with the major US carries (and minimum quota requirements) had any pull with the extended testing required in their markets. Thorsten Heins was very politically correct as he tip toed around the subject.
    I think if anything, the carriers are looking to minimize Apple's influence. This works in BB's favor, at least somewhat.

I am hoping that the carriers just refused to launch until certain Apps were available and they are simply not ready yet.

Why is there Angry Birds Space but not Angry Birds or any of the other sequals? They are available for PlayBook. Where is cut the rope? I am surprised at how many apps I have for Playbook that are not available on BB10.

Where are: Instagram, Netflix, Kindle, Zinio, Ebay, or any of the others?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-14-13 05:59 PM
    I think if anything, the carriers are looking to minimize Apple's influence. This works in BB's favor, at least somewhat.

I am hoping that the carriers just refused to launch until certain Apps were available and they are simply not ready yet.

Why is there Angry Birds Space but not Angry Birds or any of the other sequals? They are available for PlayBook. Where is cut the rope? I am surprised at how many apps I have for Playbook that are not available on BB10.

Where are: Instagram, Netflix, Kindle, Zinio, Ebay, or any of the others?
    At least some of these are likely being held to give a little more "oomph" to the US launch. I admit, I'm at a loss over Zinio, in particular. Kindle is apparently "committed" (as is Skype). Instagram we seem to see conflicting reports on every day, but the consensus seems to be that it will definitely be there. At some point.

Presumably all versions of Angry Birds will follow the "Star Wars" edition. Reports are that Rovio's revenue from Angry Birds is plummeting anyway, but it would be cool to have on board, yes.
    02-14-13 06:24 PM
    this can be the main reason lack of apps in bb10. Today android and iphone survives only becoz of apps availability but BB needs more hard work.
    02-14-13 06:31 PM
    this can be the main reason lack of apps in bb10. Today android and iphone survives only becoz of apps availability but BB needs more hard work.
    Apps aren't the issue. Really. There may be a few big names, but the carriers really aren't waiting for Instagram or Netflix.

If they're waiting for a bigger app catalog, then the question is how much bigger does it need to be? 100k? 200k? Will that really matter to the customer? They wanted to wait for roll-outs in other countries so they could see consumer reaction, and it's selling well enough in those markets that the carriers are now tripping over each other to see who will be first to get it to market. End of story.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    02-14-13 06:40 PM
    . . . the carriers are now tripping over each other to see who will be first to get it to market. End of story.
    Where is the evidence for this?

I think that, if for example, AT&T wanted to release the Z10 it might (a) announce a date; and (b) begin taking pre-orders. No U.S. Carrier has done these things.
    02-14-13 06:49 PM
    Can someone please explain to me why instagram is so important??? Because I really can't see it. I have never used it and probably never will, why do people need so many different social network type sites to "be more social" which is actually the opposite of what "smartphones" and all these stupid social networks do. Technology and so called social media sites actually make people less social by taking away the human interaction of being social, and effectively detaching us from the rest of society.
    XariusIncognito and frifred like this.
    02-14-13 08:03 PM
    Apps aren't the issue. Really. There may be a few big names, but the carriers really aren't waiting for Instagram or Netflix.

If they're waiting for a bigger app catalog, then the question is how much bigger does it need to be? 100k? 200k? Will that really matter to the customer? They wanted to wait for roll-outs in other countries so they could see consumer reaction, and it's selling well enough in those markets that the carriers are now tripping over each other to see who will be first to get it to market. End of story.
    this is the reason why its not available in US
    02-14-13 08:14 PM
    The superbowl ad sure was lame
    02-14-13 08:58 PM
    Nope def not going to plan. Thors is dealing with it as best he can.
    02-14-13 09:30 PM
    Can someone please explain to me why instagram is so important??? Because I really can't see it. I have never used it and probably never will, why do people need so many different social network type sites to "be more social" which is actually the opposite of what "smartphones" and all these stupid social networks do. Technology and so called social media sites actually make people less social by taking away the human interaction of being social, and effectively detaching us from the rest of society.
    What people have to understand is that what is important to you may not be important to someone else and vice versa. The point is that there are popular apps that are necessary for a healthy app ecosystem. If we don't get instagram it is a sign that the ecosystem is not healthy.

02-15-13 06:21 AM
    What people have to understand is that what is important to you may not be important to someone else and vice versa. The point is that there are popular apps that are necessary for a healthy app ecosystem. If we don't get instagram it is a sign that the ecosystem is not healthy.

Yes I understand certain apps are important to people, I don't have an issue with that. What I don't understand is the point of instagram, why is it so popular? You can post pictures on FB and Twitter so why the need for instagram. I just don't understand the purpose behind it
    02-16-13 12:39 PM
    Or is it that Canadians are more forgiving and it gives them time to work out issues before the US release?
    We are not more forgiving. We typically don't grab a gun a shoot the lying CEOs and politicians. As far as software updates are concerned I foresee BlackBerry PlayBook deja vu; a very slow trickle. Heins must have laid-off the wrong staff and thought the development team was invaluable. After two years development BlackBerry OS 10 should have been feature complete out of the gate.
    02-16-13 12:50 PM
    Whatever people say about the "evil" US carriers does not really matter. BlackBerry for years has touted their great carrier relationships.

Bottom-line... BlackBerry knew how long it would take to get through Verizon. They knew the rules. They knew the time lines...

They botched the release.

I just hope they are able to somehow recover the buzz machine, of the tech world, in March... I have my doubts...

I still will get a Z10... But I am not as excited anymore...
    02-16-13 02:40 PM