Seems like the Z10 may be a little under powered for Ogg playback. It seems like if I'm playing music and I'm using another app like Facebook or Twitter the sound will break up. Also seems to be coupled with jittery scrolling. It's pretty disappointing considering there's plenty of memory available and nothing is taxing the cpu much (according to the device manager).

Are there any utilities I can install that will help me narrow down what process is killing my music playback?

I'm also streaming to a BlackBerry stereo gateway over bluetooth but I don't really think that should make a difference. I'm too lazy to go get headphones to see if it makes a difference but I'll get around to testing that theory eventually.

Anyone else having issues with playing compressed audio? From what I understand, Ogg takes a bit more cpu to decode than mp3 but I still feel like the dual core Z10 should be more than capable of playing without glitching

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 06:19 PM
    I just read that it's probably your gateway over Bluetooth.
    04-12-14 06:25 PM
    I just read that it's probably your gateway over Bluetooth.
    Where did you read that?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 06:54 PM
    You can run Device Monitor and check out the cpu tab to see what is running and using resources.
    04-12-14 07:38 PM
    Where did you read that?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry I can't remember we're I saw it, but turn it off and try, if it isn't then I was totally wrong.
    04-12-14 08:13 PM
    You can run Device Monitor and check out the cpu tab to see what is running and using resources.
    Already said that's what I was doing.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 05:27 PM
    Seems to be much smoother now. May have been indexing the SD card or something. I had recently dumped a lot of music onto the device. After the first batch of music I added the music app said it was scanning the SD card, but was not indicating such action when I was experiencing this issue. I still feel like that's what was going on though.

Playback is smooth with headphones, but I tested that a while after I was using the bluetooth jawn. After I hooked the bluetooth receiver back up after using the headphones playback was smooth. That's what makes me think there was some indexing going on.

Posted via CB10
    anon721037 likes this.
    04-13-14 05:29 PM
    You should try Neutron Music player.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 01:55 PM
    You should try Neutron Music player.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that an Android port? Shouldn't it be slower than the native player?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 12:01 AM
    "Isn't that an Android port? Shouldn't it be slower than the native player?"

No, it's native. It's one of very few apps that started on BlackBerry 10 and made its way to Android. The UI is icky so that's maybe why you're confused. The dev knows a LOT about audio processing and built in some things that utilize the realtime capabilities of the OS. If you can get past the messy, Android-like UI, the sound quality is definitely a cut above.
    11-16-14 09:13 AM
    "Isn't that an Android port? Shouldn't it be slower than the native player?"

No, it's native. It's one of very few apps that started on BlackBerry 10 and made its way to Android. The UI is icky so that's maybe why you're confused. The dev knows a LOT about audio processing and built in some things that utilize the realtime capabilities of the OS. If you can get past the messy, Android-like UI, the sound quality is definitely a cut above.
    I may give it a go. However as someone who considers themselves an audiophile (have put thousands of dollars into my home stereo) it seems like a like a very powerful app that gives you a lot of control, but many of those controls I don't want. I want the player to be doing as little as possible when processing my music.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 10:19 AM