been using z10 for a year and ever since i got the phone when the battery left 20% it always went off after 5 mnts. i thought it's normal thing so i just went on with it. turned out i got information is the bug from 10.0 ( when i purchased the first time before OS upgrade )

i tried this : http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...loader-909209/

now battery off after hitting 10%....way much better than 20%.
    i tried recalibrating for couple of time after i did the SIC multiwipe, still the battery cant go lower than 10%. so i think 10% is the number that i have deal with
    Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2228
    Is this maybe a issue with the STL100-1 ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 06:02 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Nope! Not really... this issue appeared after the 10.2.1 update, but so far, I've only heard it occur on STL100-1

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2228 "The iPhone Nemesis"
    03-18-14 08:10 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    it happened since i got the phone on April 2013 and still with 10.0 OS
    didnt realize that it's actually a bug until few days ago.
    but yes, heard so many ppl using STL 1 experience same thing
    so the bug keep following me when i upgrade the OS from 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2
    only after doing SIC multiwipe, it goes from 20% to 10%
    03-18-14 10:07 PM
    Hi, Even I have the same problem. My Z 10 switches off automatically even the battery is full. BlackBerry service checked it they could not solve the issue and replaced the handset. It worked well for few days but the problem re-occurs. It looks like it's a software glitch. I GUESS I GOT TO LIVE WITH IT.

Z10 - STL100-1, OS 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 03:08 AM
    I have seen many issues like this and most if not all are STL100-1. I still cannot figure if it is a hardware or a software but there is a fix I posted a couple of months ago that seems to work most of the time. It is posted in this thread.

Drain your battery by using it until it turns off by its own.

After that, remove your battery from your device for about one hour.

After an hour, insert your battery and charge it normally using the stock charger that came with your device. Remember: don't use/play power-intensive games like Batman or more better don't use your device while it's charging. The stock charger takes more or less 2 hours to full charge the Z10.

After two hours, check your battery percentage. If it says 100% full, then it's okay. If it says 95% full or full other than a 100%, remove the charger and connect it again after about 3 minutes. Keep doing this until you achieve a 100% charge.

If after 10 tries and it still not charging 100%, we can speculate that you have a battery problem.
    03-26-14 04:08 AM
    I have given back my z10 for repair again. They say they have figured out the problem. Let me see. I'm getting the handset tomorrow. Meanwhile what is the blackberry's policy on defective handsets......pl post their policy.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    04-13-14 01:07 AM
    I have given back my z10 for repair again. They say they have figured out the problem. Let me see. I'm getting the handset tomorrow. Meanwhile what is the blackberry's policy on defective handsets......pl post their policy.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    The phones come with a warranty for the original purchaser. Warranty is generally handled through the carrier that sold the phone. The length of the warranty is generally one year although I have read that it might be longer in some jurisdictions but I'm not aware of what those terms might be.

Now, if there's some generic, widespread defect, I don't believe that there are "recall" rules that apply, say like those now being exposed by more and more defective car parts. They are probably handled on an individual basis without much publicity or exposure.
    04-13-14 08:53 AM
    I have not got my Z10 still. BB service are not able to find the defect. They say they will replace the handset. It seems that Z10's are having some issues ( STL 100 ). I heard from the service center the a lot many Z10's are coming for service with the same problem.....any body knows the replacement policy from BB
    04-21-14 02:51 AM
    Restart the phone, don't reset it but restart it.
    The last time that happened to me, I restarted the phone and everything started to work fine again

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 06:06 AM
    04-22-14 05:57 AM
    Hi
    BB Service informed me ( after a dozen emails ) that my Z10 ( the replaced handset ) is totally calibrated and would be receiving my handset on monday - 28 April. When I went to collect I was handed over another new piece without any explanation. Let me see how long this set works.

I think YES! there should be a Factory Recall for Z10 STL100-1.
    04-30-14 02:20 AM
    Try charging with a PC. I'm sure it would recalibrate your device.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2234 "the iPhone Nemesis"
    05-02-14 11:18 AM
    Power from.mains with phone switched off till it goes green

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 02:50 PM
    Had the same problem. The trick is to let it drain once and remove the battery for 20 minutes. Then charge it with the original charger using the wall socket till 100 percent. And then always charge using the original charger cable ... Worked for me .. 12 hours straight :-)
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    05-02-14 03:11 PM
    It's funny you make mention of using the original charger to fully charge the device...I use the rapid charger from the PlayBook, let it charge for two hours to full, and it seems to last longer if you charge the device, than to put in a fresh and full battery.

Why does the device drain quicker if you have a spare battery, and use that, rather than use the charger?

I have went as far as removing and re-adding all email accounts,etc. and it helped a lot when I did this method, but it seems that just using a spare and full battery drains quicker than actually charging the device.

It appears charging the device re-callibrates the device???

Fill me in to this theory I have....

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 08:27 PM
    I had two batteries for my Z10 when I was having these issues. One battery works 100% perfect while the other shuts down at 13% no matter what I did.

Bought a new battery and now both are working perfectly. No issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    You can very likely get the bad battery back to good health if you have enough patience and run it through some charging/discharging/recalibration cycles. Having a second device to refresh it on can help as well since the phone seems to "remember" the state of the battery.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:24 AM
    It doesn't only happen with BlackBerry devices. It happens on other phones too. Just google galaxy or Android battery calibration and you'll see for yourself. It also happens on laptops. It's very very prevalent on the BlackBerry 10 phones though and I've seen it occur on Z10s and Q10s. I really don't know what type of battery charging implementation BlackBerry used but it's poor and has resulted in many dissatisfied and clueless customers I'm almost sure. Even carrier techs don't know what to do in many cases. I doubt BlackBerry can afford a recall at this point for that issue because it seems to be very widespread. We might as well say bye bye BlackBerry if that happens. I think stuff like that has more subtly and silently contributed to the failure of the BB10 devices and the demise of BlackBerry as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:39 AM
    Try charging with a PC. I'm sure it would recalibrate your device.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2234 "the iPhone Nemesis"
    That would probably make it worse

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:48 AM
    Don't use generic or weak chargers with your Z10. They throw off the charging circuits. To recalibrate and solve your issues follow these steps: Take out the dead battery, SIM card and SD card. Plug in the original BlackBerry charger that came with the phone. Hold the power button for 3 seconds or until you see the red light come on. Leave the phone in this state for at least 2 minutes or until it shuts off completely on it's own. You may or may not see the red battery outline or the white blackberry logo on the screen. Plug out the charger and leave everything out for 1 hour. Replace everything and allow the phone to charge. Never use weak chargers on your Z10 again.

I'm not saying that weak chargers are the cause or the only thing that can trigger this flaw in the phones but it is a factor in many cases of battery charging circuit miscalibration.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:48 AM
    Another thing worth noting...a lithium battery is not supposed to develop or have any memory. A lithium battery is supposed to have quick and long lasting charges, with virtually zero drain over long periods of inactivity.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 09:07 AM
    Another thing worth noting...a lithium battery is not supposed to develop or have any memory. A lithium battery is supposed to have quick and long lasting charges, with virtually zero drain over long periods of inactivity.

Actually self-discharge with Lithium-Ion batteries is fairly high.

Luckily that is balanced by the fact that they do not suffer from the "memory" problems that Nickel-Cadmium batteries suffer from. (Nickel Metal-Hydride have much less "memory" problem too, though not quite as good as Lithium-Ion and their power-density is lower.)

That said, you're still not supposed to charge Lithium-Ion batteries for very short periods of time, ie <15 minutes.. Sorta like fluorescent lights.

Luckily the cost of a replacement battery for a Z10 is very low, so not a big sacrifice to replace one or keep a spare. Wish I could say that about laptop batteries..
    05-06-14 02:07 AM
    I totally disagree with the self discharge rate being high. My husband has the new Dewalt 20 volt lithium ion drill batteries and I can say when fully charged in a half hour from being dead, they last MONTHS on standby, not being used.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 07:51 AM
    It's funny you make mention of using the original charger to fully charge the device...I use the rapid charger from the PlayBook, let it charge for two hours to full, and it seems to last longer if you charge the device, than to put in a fresh and full battery.

Why does the device drain quicker if you have a spare battery, and use that, rather than use the charger?

I have went as far as removing and re-adding all email accounts,etc. and it helped a lot when I did this method, but it seems that just using a spare and full battery drains quicker than actually charging the device.

It appears charging the device re-callibrates the device???

Fill me in to this theory I have....

Posted via CB10
    Man I lost that rapid charger that came with the PlayBook it was brilliant
    05-06-14 08:01 AM
    I totally disagree with the self discharge rate being high. My husband has the new Dewalt 20 volt lithium ion drill batteries and I can say when fully charged in a half hour from being dead, they last MONTHS on standby, not being used.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to.

It's way more than an alkaline battery, but better than a Nickel-based (presumably Nickel Metal Hydride included here) battery.

Elevating Self-discharge - Battery University

I also have a lithium-ion battery-based drill (Makita), and as I recall one of the points that is made about this type of product is that the battery "prefers" to be used often, not just charged and stored.

That may be orthogonal to its self-discharge characteristics.
    05-06-14 02:10 PM
    Exactly
    I'm living with this problem and I know that it can't be fixed anymore....
    As I said in this point blackberry has fu%@ed it up and can't fix this hardware problem on thousand devices ...
    I know that if get a replacement maybe the new device will have the same issue
    I have convinced myself that it can't be fixed and any trick....won't fix it
    You must convince yourself not me....that the problem won't be fixed, so stop replacing again and again your device
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    Hehe...It was BlackBerry who wanted to replace my phone...anyway...Z10 is my baby's toy now and I have moved on to Passport...and it's battery is good enough for a days use, does go down till 0% and up till 100%. Looks like they have got it right with this one...

Z10 still continues to amuse me by shutting down abruptly at % number of its liking for the day...

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-30-14 03:27 AM
76 1234