What if BlackBerry developed a case for the Z10 that had a trackpad and pickup/hangup buttons on it? One that wouldn't add a lot of bulk to the phone like the iBerry keyboard case Ryan Seacrest is working on. I have no way of creating concept drawings but if somebody who knows how to do that would like to make one I would love to see it!

I envision it being a thin case that sits flush with the top of the Z10 as to not feel like a bulky add on so it will still slide in and out of jean pockets easily. The trackpad and pickup/hangup buttons would be redesigned to be more modern looking to go with the new BB10 look and not like they used left over parts from the Torch 9850/9860. It would light up as well as relocate the micro HDMI and USB charging port to the bottom of the phone. Also, the end call button would serve as the "home" button and revert you back to the app tray when pressed giving all those people who are new to BB10 and its gestures a more familiar experience.

Any thoughts?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-14-13 07:54 AM
    While it could work, BlackBerry chose to create phones with no trackpad or buttons for a reason. Unless they make a supped up version of the 9900 (which would be sweet) I dont think we should be seeing anymore of the buttons anytime soon, so I doubt that BB would make such a thing.

That being said however, new CEO, new ideas
    12-14-13 08:04 AM
    I understand they made the decision to get rid of the buttons and trackpad for a reason. My thought was that there are millions of legacy users out there who have yet to switch to BB10 and part of that may be because they aren't familiar with the new UI and don't like change. If there was an option to add the trackpad and buttons that everybody is so used to it may help people feel a little more comfortable jumping onto a brand new platform.
    12-14-13 02:45 PM
    I understand they made the decision to get rid of the buttons and trackpad for a reason. My thought was that there are millions of legacy users out there who have yet to switch to BB10 and part of that may be because they aren't familiar with the new UI and don't like change. If there was an option to add the trackpad and buttons that everybody is so used to it may help people feel a little more comfortable jumping onto a brand new platform.
    If people don't like change, then don't. Stay with the old, the slow, and don't experience the speed, the new UI. A track pad is a waste of the great touchscreen UI that is BB10. As an ancient 63 year old let me add, I'd I can learn it, anyone can become proficient on it.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-14-13 03:39 PM
    If people don't like change, then don't. Stay with the old, the slow, and don't experience the speed, the new UI. A track pad is a waste of the great touchscreen UI that is BB10. As an ancient 63 year old let me add, I'd I can learn it, anyone can become proficient on it.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    As an even more ancient ANCIENT, I still have trouble placing the cursor where I want it - trackpad - it was THERE!

(But I do astound people - I can still read without glasses! Huh, What did you say??? )
    12-14-13 05:06 PM
    As an even more ancient ANCIENT, I still have trouble placing the cursor where I want it - trackpad - it was THERE!

(But I do astound people - I can still read without glasses! Huh, What did you say??? )
    That is exactly what I am getting at! For those people who are power users and send and receive 100+ emails and BBMs every day it would be great! Even having the case relocate the Micro USB port to the bottom of the device so you can type easily on it while it is charging and not have the cord in the way.
    12-14-13 09:29 PM
    As a trackpad fan, may I insert an alternate reality...

Since there is the statistical belief that BBOS is still outselling BB10, I see no reason to believe that the lack of a trackpad is a forward move. Maybe improving it to be a home button, fingerprint/retina scanner, mouse, trackpad, call answer/reject button, send button, use it for Peek, Flow, take a picture, launch an app, quick access to the Hub or any other of a thousand uses button.

Improving the trackpad by adding gesture functionality was the answer. It was right in front of them the whole time.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-14-13 10:17 PM
    As a trackpad fan, may I insert an alternate reality...

Since there is the statistical belief that BBOS is still outselling BB10, I see no reason to believe that the lack of a trackpad is a forward move. Maybe improving it to be a home button, fingerprint/retina scanner, mouse, trackpad, call answer/reject button, send button, use it for Peek, Flow, take a picture, launch an app, quick access to the Hub or any other of a thousand uses button.

Improving the trackpad by adding gesture functionality was the answer. It was right in front of them the whole time.
    Well, eliminating it was certainly not the wave of the future for BB, nee Rim.
    12-14-13 11:21 PM
    On a touchscreen device there is no real need for a track pad. However they are, in combination with the shift key, brilliant for precisely selecting and highlighting text. You could implement something similar in software that pops up in the same area as the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:28 AM
    On a touchscreen device there is no real need for a track pad. However they are, in combination with the shift key, brilliant for precisely selecting and highlighting text. You could implement something similar in software that pops up in the same area as the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    My trackpad made the 3" screen of my 9810 larger than the 4.5" screen of my Lumia 920. It is quite hard to browse feeds and read email with the thumb covering half the screen.

I understand that many times, good tech gives way to bad sales, but don't lose sight of the fact that sales are either the lead weight or helium balloon, not the tech. When some people foretold the death of the home button and trumpeted the gesture based OSs as the future, Apple added a fingerprint scanner to their home button and breathed a whole new life into it.
    12-15-13 07:14 AM