But the thing is people who come in wanting the phone without contract are not going to buy it under contract. They were never going to get that sale. Especially when they were as forceful as the prior poster.

Yes, Telus may keep a phone for someone else to get a 3 year contract. But that person who would have signed a 3-year contract in the early selling of a "hot phone" will get one eventually. People who want the newest are motivated to get it. No sale would have been lost here.

However, refusing to sell a phone, without contract, made a angry customer for life. You see it's that niggling "customer service" bit that is hard to quantify, but kills businesses all the time.

Airlines have the best software algorithms in the world for selling airline tickets... But why do they keep going bankrupt?

Customer Service!

Big mistake Canadians, big mistake.
    02-10-13 10:43 PM
    Can you get one through a store? I checked the Walmart in Aurora, Ontario yesterday (don't know where you are located) and they had one for Telus left in black..all other z10 phones sold out.
    02-11-13 06:33 AM
    yah that makes sense for people currently not on contract and are month to month, or with another carrier. but me, I'm already with them, they've already got me on contract for another 2 years, and I've been a loyal customer for more than 10. for me, I have no other option but to buy off contract, or wait 2 years. if they didn't let me buy it outright I would of cancelled right there and walked. (I'm with fido btw)
    That's actually not true. All the major carriers now offer an easy policy for doing anytime upgrades. All you have to do is pay out the device balance on your original phone and you can upgrade with a new contract and get the contract pricing. So if you had $400 left on your device balance, you just pay that out, plus the contract price on the new phone and you're set. You'd actually end up saving money in the short term doing this. Long term, you're going to have cell service anyways, you may as well get something out of it from the carrier (the better contract pricing for the phone).
    twstd.reality likes this.
    02-11-13 08:26 AM
    Telus new mission statement "You can ask us, but you can't Telus".....
    Same thing happened to me. Has nothing to do with BlackBerry this is Telus's trying to get as much money from new activations and having blackberry pay them for all the credits on the back end...total slime ball carrier...
    This is a joke right? Do you understand how business works at all? There are two possible scenarios here, both of which make perfect sense with your situation. You are either:

A) A current TELUS subscriber. In this case, all you would have to do is call TELUS or go into the store, tell them you want to do an early upgrade, pay out the existing device balance and sign up for a new contract. If you want to after that, then you can pay out the balance and technically be able to cancel with no penalty at any time. This way you get the 3 year contract pricing. I have no idea what your current device balance would be, but I'm sure in the end this would be cheaper than buying the phone outright.

B) Not a current TELUS subscriber. In this case, you are only buying the phone to unlock it and take it to another carrier. This means that not only will TELUS not gain a new customer, they will also potentially lose one when the next person walks in and asks for a BB10 device and they are sold out (maybe not the next person, but you get the idea). That person would have been willing to sign the contract and remain a TELUS client. Not just take the phone and run.

In either of these scenarios, your argument makes absolutely no sense at all. There's no harm ragging on our wireless providers when they deserve it, but you can't fault them for trying to do business and make money.
    Elite1, meganVee and One_Cam like this.
    02-11-13 08:33 AM
    There could be another rather small reason why their stocks are low. It seems they might be the only canadian carrier that I and several members (mostly them) have determined have the model of z10 that will give tmobile usa users lte when it launches.

That being said, anyone want to get a white telus z10 and mail it to me?? =)
    02-11-13 10:02 AM
    That's actually not true. All the major carriers now offer an easy policy for doing anytime upgrades. All you have to do is pay out the device balance on your original phone and you can upgrade with a new contract and get the contract pricing. So if you had $400 left on your device balance, you just pay that out, plus the contract price on the new phone and you're set. You'd actually end up saving money in the short term doing this. Long term, you're going to have cell service anyways, you may as well get something out of it from the carrier (the better contract pricing for the phone).
    Thanks did not know that, will keep this in mind if I ever sign another contract.

When did this change? Last I heard it was still in the works and the CRTC was still asking for feedback from the public.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 08:30 PM
    I called today and they indicated 3-5 business days from the date of order, so I don't think what they have on their website is accurate.
    02-12-13 08:38 PM
    I just noticed this on the website. I ordered mine on the 5th and it showed as shipping on the 12th but I then saw on twitter it should say the 14th so I am thinking mine will not ship for another day or so. I am getting very anxious waiting for it to arrive!!!

I have yet to receive an email about it being sent or anything. It is slightly annoying. I feel left in the dark about my phone and I just want it in my hands. Now!!!
    Last edited by meganVee; 02-13-13 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Typos
    02-12-13 08:52 PM
    If anyone is nearby Richmond, BC, I spotted a few at the London Drugs at Ironwood. Hard to say for sure but looked like 2-3 Telus, 1 Fido, 1 Koodo in stock. Unsure on Rogers.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 11:42 PM
    Um, why not take the phone on a three year contract then just pay the buy out price to end the contract? Still works out to $650.00 does it not?
    In other news..as a retailer I can say to you "You must stand on your head before I can sell you this item" Or "I don't like the color of your shirt today so I am not selling you this" You as a customer are free to go somewhere else and never shop in my store again.
    Elite1 and meganVee like this.
    02-13-13 08:06 AM
35 12