So i've been reading and really can't quite get a definitive answer it seems. Im not sure if i am applying what i read to my company situation correctly.

So my company has about 600 users and may be looking to support z10 once it releases in March and April for our employees in the U.S. Now i've been reading that z10 phone can't sync to outlook 2010 properly. So outlook contacts and calendar will not be able to sync to the phone. That is what I've been reading. I am dumb when it comes to techy config stuff so i may not be quite understanding what is being discussed.

Right now, i am using a lumia 920 with my company and as long as i have the domain and server, i can get my company email, contacts, and calendar synced wirelessly with no issues by setting up an exchange account. Appointments update real time and tasks update real time. So there are no issues with my phone updating to get contacts, appointments on my calendar and also real time push emails.

Simply, out of the box, i can configure my phone to have work email, contacts, and calendar and sync within minutes. With all things being equal, can i open up a z10 and get outlook 2010 to configure like I can with my lumia 920 and get push emails, contacts, and real time updates to my calendar wirelessly? Or does there need to be a work around for this? Lets assume we dont have BES as well.

Any feedback is appreciated.
    02-12-13 05:29 PM
    1) Large companies should be fine because they typically use BES and Exchange Server and it works like it did the old BBOS phones.

2) The only thing that is "missing" with outlook for NON-ENTERPRISE USERS is the old style of USB cable backup where you connect your phone via a USB cable and sync everything. So if you are a small business and you use Outlook along with Outlook Calendar etc, with the old phones you could sync this with your phone using Desktop Manager and a USB cable. This functionality has not been added yet to BlackBerry Link which replaces BlackBerry Desktop Manager. There is a way to sync with the BB10 but it invlolves linking your outlook to a cloud based email account and not everyone wants their data on the cloud. That is the reason why some people are so upset. There is also a third party application, devleoped by Companionlink I think, that will allow you to hook up via USB and transfer your data but people do not want to have to purchase a third party app to replace functionality that used to be available with older BB phones and Desktop Manager.

That is it as I understand it.
    02-12-13 06:33 PM
    1) Large companies should be fine because they typically use BES and Exchange Server and it works like it did the old BBOS phones.

2) The only thing that is "missing" with outlook for NON-ENTERPRISE USERS is the old style of USB cable backup where you connect your phone via a USB cable and sync everything. So if you are a small business and you use Outlook along with Outlook Calendar etc, with the old phones you could sync this with your phone using Desktop Manager and a USB cable. This functionality has not been added yet to BlackBerry Link which replaces BlackBerry Desktop Manager. There is a way to sync with the BB10 but it invlolves linking your outlook to a cloud based email account and not everyone wants their data on the cloud. That is the reason why some people are so upset. There is also a third party application, devleoped by Companionlink I think, that will allow you to hook up via USB and transfer your data but people do not want to have to purchase a third party app to replace functionality that used to be available with older BB phones and Desktop Manager.

That is it as I understand it.
    We dont want to get BES, but we are using exchange right now. So a z10 should work fine and sync wirelessly for emails, contacts, and calendars fine even without BES? DOnt think anybody wants to have to plug into a PC to sync or how to go through a cloud based email.
    02-12-13 06:50 PM
    We dont want to get BES, but we are using exchange right now. So a z10 should work fine and sync wirelessly for emails, contacts, and calendars fine even without BES? DOnt think anybody wants to have to plug into a PC to sync or how to go through a cloud based email.
    We have to be a little careful here.

You've stated that you work for a company with about 600 users, and that you use Outlook 2010 as your desktop mail client. Most of the time, yes, that means that you have Exchange as a mail/contact/calendar server. If this is the case, it doesn't really matter WHAT you use on your desktop, BB10 devices will connect directly to the server (that assumes that your admins have ActiveSync enabled for remote access).

If this is the case, you won't need BES at all, but it doesn't really have anything to do with Outlook. What your phone is actually connecting to is your employer's underlying mail system, not Outlook.

The users who are having an issue are people who have old-school "POP3" email accounts, and use Outlook at either home or a small business that doesn't have its own internal mail infrastructure. In this case, that user is also storing contacts and appointments locally, on the PC only. With older BBs, you could connect to the PC with a USB cable every once in a while and the Desktop Manager software could be used to sync up the contacts and calendar. Kind of a pain compared to instantaneous GMail/Hotmail updates, but some users would rather not have all their contacts and appointments in "the cloud".

With BB10 devices, there's new software called Blackberry Link. If you have it installed on your PC, you connect your Z10 to it and it lets you sync your pictures, documents, and media the way Desktop Manager used to. In fact, Link is actually better for these tasks than DM was. Unfortunately, you can't use it to sync calendars or contacts that just live on that computer. And, yes, you can find a way to get the old software to recognize a Z10, but it won't sync calendar/contacts either.

There are likely fewer and fewer users every year who fit this scenario, but it's still a significant user population, and they're not happy.
    Cesare21 likes this.
    02-12-13 07:09 PM
    I have a very hard time seeing a 600 person business running on pop3 with individual pst files for calendars.
    That would be ridiculous.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    pmccartney likes this.
    02-12-13 07:37 PM
    Right now, i am using a lumia 920 with my company and as long as i have the domain and server, i can get my company email, contacts, and calendar synced wirelessly with no issues by setting up an exchange account. Appointments update real time and tasks update real time. So there are no issues with my phone updating to get contacts, appointments on my calendar and also real time push emails.
    It is SUPER FRUSTRATING that the information out there gives you these concerns. Where is all this FUD coming from?

You do NOT need BES or anything special to integrate BlackBerry 10 devices if your company already uses Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, which you DO HAVE if you are able to use Exchange sync with Windows Phone 7.x and 8.x devices such as a Lumia 920. This is one of the MAJOR BENEFITS of the growing pains of BlackBerry 10 devices, gaining full EAS support *without* BES.

The unavailability of PIM sync via USB through BlackBerry Link DOES NOT apply to you. You will receive FULL over-the-air sync through EAS.
    Last edited by b320; 02-12-13 at 10:10 PM. Reason: took out a reference to Thunderbuck's post because it sounded like a quote when it wasn't a quote
    02-12-13 08:20 PM

The unavailability of PIM sync via USB through BlackBerry Link DOES NOT apply to you. You will receive FULL over-the-air sync through EAS.
    +1........
    02-12-13 09:36 PM
    +1........
    Thanks.
    02-12-13 10:08 PM