I'm down in the states for a couple months so I went ahead and purchased a StraightTalk sim and phone plan but I cannot change the APN settings to work with StraightTalk becauise everything is greyed out in the APN settings. I've googled this and it looks like BB has locked APN settings so the user cannot change them. WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS? Does anyone have a Z10 working on StraightTalk? I'm so pissed off right now.
    02-10-13 09:10 PM
    I'm down in the states for a couple months so I went ahead and purchased a StraightTalk sim and phone plan but I cannot change the APN settings to work with StraightTalk becauise everything is greyed out in the APN settings. I've googled this and it looks like BB has locked APN settings so the user cannot change them. WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS? Does anyone have a Z10 working on StraightTalk? I'm so pissed off right now.
    I am just waiting for my Z10 to show up. I am on Straight Talk ATT. I will give it a shot as soon as it gets here. Are you using ST ATT or T-mobile?
    02-10-13 09:18 PM
    Maybe its because its simlocked ?

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
    02-10-13 09:21 PM
    I'm using ATT ST with an unlocked Rogers Z10.
    02-10-13 09:23 PM
    Bump... anyone else with this problem?
    02-11-13 10:58 AM
    if you use youre own simcard can you edit the apn settings then ? oh wait...the card is working only you cant edit its settings there now i understand....if BB have locked that then it would be very strange ?!?
    02-11-13 11:00 AM
    Apparently all the devices are supposed to be locked, that is what an employee told me. On the other hand there are users reporting that they can change their APN settings.
    charles myers likes this.
    02-11-13 11:00 AM
    why would they all lock that up? doesnt make any sense to me if you have a simlocked device ok then i can understand but when its a unlocked device then its a bit stupid
    02-11-13 11:06 AM
    This is what a bb helper said :

And yes you are correct, if you unlock the BlackBerry Z10 and insert a prepaid ATT SIM card, the APN field would be set automatically.

In BlackBerry 10 the APN setting can not be edited.
    02-11-13 11:10 AM
    Bump... anyone else with this problem?
    Is your Z10 unlocked? I didn't see you mention that in your original post.
    02-11-13 11:42 AM
    Is your Z10 unlocked? I didn't see you mention that in your original post.
    He says it is unlocked

02-11-13 12:03 PM
    Yep its unlocked. Right now I'm using my s3 to tether Internet connection to my z10... so ridiculous.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 12:07 PM
    Yep its unlocked. Right now I'm using my s3 to tether Internet connection to my z10... so ridiculous.

What settings is it giving you when you put the sim in ?

02-11-13 12:10 PM
    What settings is it giving you when you put the sim in ?

For apn name it just says "Phone" and blank for everything else

02-11-13 12:14 PM
    Almost sounds that it aint unlocked .... did u tryed another simcard ? ... hold on ibhad this once with my galaxy .... turn off the phone ...put simcard in it en restart the phone maybe that helps

02-11-13 12:17 PM
    Almost sounds that it aint unlocked .... did u tryed another simcard ? ... hold on ibhad this once with my galaxy .... turn off the phone ...put simcard in it en restart the phone maybe that helps

The phone is unlocked I am using non Rogers sim and voice calls work just no data

02-11-13 12:22 PM
    I have looked on the forum and found this

Z10 APN cannot be changed on Bell...locked phone or unlocked, put the Bell SIM in, and it automatically populates as blackberry.net, and if you don't have BIS you don't have mobile data.

More interesting news from Blackberry Technical Support:

Details:
    BlackBerry Z10- Customer wants to know if he will need a BIS plan for a BlackBerry 10..

Resolution:
    Advised the customer that he needs a BIS plan for his BlackBerry 10 device

Would really like to get a Z10, but can't give up my unlimited data...\

Dont know if you are in the same situation though
    02-11-13 12:24 PM
    I have looked on the forum and found this

Z10 APN cannot be changed on Bell...locked phone or unlocked, put the Bell SIM in, and it automatically populates as blackberry.net, and if you don't have BIS you don't have mobile data.

More interesting news from Blackberry Technical Support:

Details:
    BlackBerry Z10- Customer wants to know if he will need a BIS plan for a BlackBerry 10..

Resolution:
    Advised the customer that he needs a BIS plan for his BlackBerry 10 device

Would really like to get a Z10, but can't give up my unlimited data...\

Dont know if you are in the same situation though
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm out of luck. I hope they change this in a future OS update.

02-11-13 01:14 PM
    So can the APN be changed or not or does it depend on the carrier and if the device is factory unlocked or not?
    02-14-13 02:43 AM
    Bump, curious on a fix for this. I have a Straight talk att sim and once I can get ahold of a z10, i would like to use it.
    02-20-13 10:28 PM
    The APN can't be changed on my Z10. For some stupid reason, Blackberry has "list" of the APN settings by the SIM card. so when you insert a sim card the OS compares the SIM Card info (technical stuff) to the list that BB has.

In my case BB10 populates the APN settings with wrong operators settings and those cannot be changed. Well they can be changed but when I click SAVE, it exits and after I go back the wrong APN settings are there again.
    02-20-13 10:33 PM
    Looks like you will need a BIS data plan....but does straight Talk even provide BIS?
    So can the APN be changed or not or does it depend on the carrier and if the device is factory unlocked or not?
    02-20-13 10:35 PM
    Unfortunately, they don't. I have used the same sim card on android/iOS without a problem. I really want to get a Z10, hopefully a tweak of some sort comes out soon. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-20-13 10:46 PM
    its not that it requires a BIS account, just on Bell where the SIM card defaults the APN to blackberry.net which is the BIS plan address. I have a ST with AT&T SIM and it works but I can't get any data because they require you to change the APN from the SIM default of "phone" to att.mvno but you can't with the Z10. Both my Simple Mobile and T-Mobile SIMs work though because they properly populate the APN data. If I had to guess this may be able to be changed closer to a US launch of the Z10, but at the same time doesn't some iPhone users have similar issues where they have to do SIM Swapping to get data on ST with AT&T?
    02-20-13 10:58 PM
    its not that it requires a BIS account, just on Bell where the SIM card defaults the APN to blackberry.net which is the BIS plan address. I have a ST with AT&T SIM and it works but I can't get any data because they require you to change the APN from the SIM default of "phone" to att.mvno but you can't with the Z10. Both my Simple Mobile and T-Mobile SIMs work though because they properly populate the APN data. If I had to guess this may be able to be changed closer to a US launch of the Z10, but at the same time doesn't some iPhone users have similar issues where they have to do SIM Swapping to get data on ST with AT&T?
    Yeah its the same issue with iphones too, but with an active jailbreak or a profile from straight talk , adjusting apn settings are a breeze.
    02-20-13 11:43 PM
30 12