Do email attachments count as other data?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 06:44 AM
    Do email attachments count as other data?

Posted via CB10
    If they are locally cached then quite possibly yes.

Posted via CB10
    xThamer likes this.
    05-07-13 07:50 AM
    I my case my "other data" is at 8.4GB. However, that is due to the fact that I have about 8GB of music in Apple Lossless (ALAC) format that the BlackBerry music player does not recognize. It is possible that other people are in a similar position.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 09:44 AM
    How many rubbish Android apps have you installed and uninstalled? Android apps (and some BlackBerry apps) don't clean up after themselves very well but instead leave all their crap behind when uninstalled. It's likely what all your 'other' data is.

Personally, I'd wipe it and only install back what you plan to use or... you can wait for the next OS update, which will essentially blow any of the crap non-used files out of the system. Minus the large game files, your 'other data' should be around 5-6GB with basic apps installed like Twitter, 4Sq, Facebook. etc etc.
    Has anyone from BlackBerry explained what is included in "other data" yet?
    05-07-13 10:01 PM
    There's gotta be a better way to clean up the system than doing a full wipe.

How many rubbish Android apps have you installed and uninstalled? Android apps (and some BlackBerry apps) don't clean up after themselves very well but instead leave all their crap behind when uninstalled. It's likely what all your 'other' data is.

Personally, I'd wipe it and only install back what you plan to use or... you can wait for the next OS update, which will essentially blow any of the crap non-used files out of the system. Minus the large game files, your 'other data' should be around 5-6GB with basic apps installed like Twitter, 4Sq, Facebook. etc etc.
    05-08-13 10:33 AM
    Just did a quick count of my apps downloaded in App World, I have 5,287 MB worth of downloaded apps, yet 11.2 GB of Other Data. All of my media is on an SD card.
    How much does the OS take again? I'm trying to account for about 6GB of storage.
    05-08-13 11:00 AM
    Just did a quick count of my apps downloaded in App World, I have 5,287 MB worth of downloaded apps, yet 11.2 GB of Other Data. All of my media is on an SD card.
    How much does the OS take again? I'm trying to account for about 6GB of storage.
    Os is 4.6 gig.
    If you sideload that's your difference.
    When deleted side loaded apps leave a lot behind.
    05-08-13 11:05 AM
    Scrolling through this thread what stands out to me is the sheer number of people saying they are having this "Other Data" issue. At some point it's the phone, not the user.

SMH @ the Z10
    05-08-13 11:10 AM
    I have Instagram and Flipboard, I'll chalk the rest up to emails/texts/ and random cached items.

Os is 4.6 gig.
    If you sideload that's your difference.
    When deleted side loaded apps leave a lot behind.
    05-08-13 11:28 AM
    Here is what I don't get: Why do I appear to have THREE (3) "Music" folders, each in a different location (but all on the device, not on the SD card), each exactly the same, and each consuming 3 GB? On top of that, my "Device Storage Details" tells me that I only have 2.5 GB of music. (For that matter, I also have duplicate "Download" "Movies" and "Pictures" folders, but let's just focus on the "Music" duplication for now.)

As you can see in the screen shots below, I have a "Device/music" folder, a "Device/android/music" folder, and a "Device/android/Music" folder (note the capitalization on the last one). Each is exactly the same, and each consumes 3 GB of storage in different locations - at least the "Properties" is telling me they are in different locations, but are they?

And, no, I have not done anything manually in the time I have had the phone to make this happen. I have not sideloaded any apps, I have not copied files to the Z10 with Link, etc.

So, are they really duplicates stored in 3 different, redundant locations? And, if so, which 2 of the 3 do I delete? Or, more likely, after I copy one to my SD card (which is where I would prefer the music is stored anyway), can I safely delete the contents of all three folders on the device? Yes, I know this isn't high-risk - I do have all of the music backed up and available elsewhere. But I was very surprised to find what appears to be 9 GB dedicated to music storage on my device, not to mention the other duplicated folders under "Device/android," so in addition to asking for a bit of advice, I thought others might benefit from being alerted to this and checking their folders for the same situation.

Z10 starting to lag, memory is getting full with "Other data"-img_00000105.jpgZ10 starting to lag, memory is getting full with "Other data"-img_00000108.jpgZ10 starting to lag, memory is getting full with "Other data"-img_00000109.jpgZ10 starting to lag, memory is getting full with "Other data"-img_00000112.jpgZ10 starting to lag, memory is getting full with "Other data"-img_00000110.jpgZ10 starting to lag, memory is getting full with "Other data"-img_00000111.jpg
    05-08-13 05:20 PM
    Those multiple folders are normal. To be honest I am not sure why the lower and upper case letters but that is how it is done.
    You can test by copying your music to a PC and then deleting the content of the folders.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 12:34 AM
    Still no fix. Looks like an OS wipe and re-installation of 10.1
    05-27-13 05:59 PM
    Maybe get a full-time job, and play less games ? :-)
    This is your contribution? Seriously? People are having serious issues with this particular problem and I can't believe you wrote that.
    05-27-13 06:01 PM
    having the same problem
    05-29-13 05:32 PM
    Had same problem, was from a constant turnover of apps from app world. I would find play delete like a bag of skittles till my other data maxed out.... also my battery started draining and overheating and data usage through the roof. did security wipe with our backup. That kept it from reinstalling all the waste that android ports seem to leave behind. Reloaded link fresh.. started fresh and my phone is back to normal in every way. No more random aping though lol. I'm on Verizon so I still have the oldest possible Os 10 so not sure if this issue is solved in 10.1

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 10:03 PM
    With out back up

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 10:05 PM
    I have 7.9gb in other data. No side loaded apps only apps from BBW and small ones at that. Also have the triplicate music folders but each 928mb. If I delete from the one of the folders then it deletes from the others as well.
    06-25-13 09:44 AM
    me too but aside from movin my files go to blackberry world, go to my world, go to my app and games then click available. Delete ur available unused app that u previously deleted.
    09-04-13 01:18 PM
    my "misc" folder is sitting at 2GB! WTF!!
    09-04-13 04:34 PM
    my "misc" folder is sitting at 2GB! WTF!!
    The misc folder contains Android data - e.g. if you have Osmand, it would contain the data files for Osmand.
    Have you been sideloading any apps? Installing/running loads of Android apps?

You can possibly track the files down using something like PlayCloud or Ghost Commander.
    09-05-13 02:49 AM
70 123