I have had the Z10 for a month. My teenage daughter was given a choice of phones for her birthday. Two weeks have gone by and she has been tortured trying to choose between the Z10 and the iPhone. I of course was telling her how great the Z10 is. Her peer group was telling her BlackBerry is dead and go with iPhone or Android. She liked what she saw in the Z10 but worried what her friends would say. Until today, one of her best friends who has the iPhone5 said she hates it. My daughter confided she was thinking of getting a Z10. Her friend's reaction was GET IT, the flick keyboard is COOL. Her decision is made and a Z10 will be in the hands of a teenage girl on Monday. I have been waiting for it to show up in the non business sector. Word of mouth is working BlackBerry is back. Keeping my shares.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:54 PM
    Very cool I bet the others will ditch theirs. Your daughter is bout to become the popular one among her friends.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:57 PM
    My kids like my Z10 as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 06:58 PM
    Very cool news.
    03-30-13 07:00 PM
    haha didnt want to get a z10 because of what her friends would say. I remember those days

Z10 is just awesome.
    03-30-13 07:50 PM
    I'm 18 and had a curve 9360 and bold 9790 before. Loved the blackberrys but got frustrated many times with them. I got the z10 and love it. Can't see myself with any other phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 07:52 PM
    Let her know she can side load instagram and I bet she'll be happy to hear that!

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    03-30-13 08:08 PM
    I missed those days when Teenagers were walking with Blackberry world edition, and using BBM!
    BBVegasGirl80 and mbar9607 like this.
    03-30-13 08:16 PM
    Ha ha. You're taking a teenager's comment (about any phone) seriously. C'mon, all kids crave novelty and will say that what they've had for awhile now sucks. BB could really aim at the kid market by marketing what is novel about the Z10, whether or not experienced phone users think it really matters.
    03-30-13 08:16 PM
    Ha ha. You're taking a teenager's comment (about any phone) seriously. C'mon, all kids crave novelty and will say that what they've had for awhile now sucks. BB could really aim at the kid market by marketing what is novel about the Z10, whether or not experienced phone users think it really matters.
    Glad the obligatory "Crap on someone's z10 parade" post showed up. I was getting worried...

Ya, I am an unabashed BB supporter. Don't like that? Then put me on ignore.
    03-30-13 08:20 PM
    I had the exact opposite experience. Last fall, my teenage daughter decided to abandon her BB Torch for the iPhone 5 -- our first family defection from Blackberry. It was painful but she really did her research and for what she wanted (messaging, emails, music, video and surfing) the iPhone 5 was superior.

Last month, I got the Z10 for myself. Because of the lack of pin-to-pin and BIS, I was forced to keep my Bold 9900 as my main device and only use my Z10 as a back-up primarily for surfing. Because of this, I loaned it to my teenage son (older than my daughter) who was debating between the Z10 and iPhone 5. He has been a steadfast BB loyalist -- the only one among his group of 6 friends to keep the BB 9900 -- over the years and has preferred the Blackberry because of the physical keyboard. After a week playing with the Z10, he sheepishly said he would much prefer the iPhone 5. It's now been a week since he switched and so I asked him this morning whether he was happy with his decision. He said he now understands what he was missing. He has gotten used to the virtual keyboard and feels auto-correct does what he needs for most of his casual communications. He said he is slower with his formal communications (ie. to teachers, etc) but he isn't too bothered by that. He is totally wowed by iMessage since all his friends are on iPhone so he now feels less disconnected (he said it was like BBM when most of his friends had Blackberries) but what he has completely been sold on is the integration between his Macbook and his iPhone through iTunes and iPhoto. His music, video and photos are all synced and he finds the seamlessness of it all to be a particularly attractive feature.

I really think that the youth market in North America and Europe is largely gone since the critical mass needed for BBM communications has shrunk.

When BBRY proclaim that 50% of new activations on the Z10 are made up of switchers from iOS or Android, people need to put that into perspective: 1,000,000 Z10s sold from the January launch to March 4 which means a rinky dink 500,000 users (using BBRY's own numbers) switched during that timeframe from iOS and Android to BB10. In the same period, BBRY lost 3,000,000 subscribers most of whom presumably switched from the Blackberry OS (BB7 or BB10) to some other OS (iOS, Android, whatever). If that trend continues, then BBRY will have to convince far more than 3,000,000 users to switch to BB per quarter just to maintain its current subscriber base.

To give you an idea of what these numbers mean, in the last available quarter ended December 29, 2012, Apple sold 47.8 million iPhones -- Apple said they sold 3.7 million iPhones a week during that quarter. So in a single week, Apple sold three and a half times more iPhones than Blackberry sold Z10s in the entire 4 weeks of its launch in the UK, Canada etc. We will only know how well the Z10 is doing after the next quarter for BBRY which will include the US launch. For all our sakes (as BB users), I'm hoping that BB is attracting more users to the Z10 than it is losing to iOS and Android.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 03-31-13 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typo
    03-31-13 01:56 PM
    I had the exact opposite experience. Last fall, my teenage daughter decided to abandon her BB Torch for the iPhone 5 -- our first family defection from Blackberry. It was painful but she really did her research and for what she wanted (messaging, emails, music, video and surfing) the iPhone 5 was superior.

Last month, I got the Z10 for myself. Because of the lack of pin-to-pin and BIS, I was forced to keep my Bold 9900 as my main device and only use my Z10 as a back-up primarily for surfing. Because of this, I loaned it to my teenage son (older than my daughter) who was debating between the Z10 and iPhone 5. He has been a steadfast BB loyalist -- the only one among his group of 6 friends to keep the BB 9900 -- over the years and has preferred the Blackberry because of the physical keyboard. After a week playing with the Z10, he sheepishly said he would much prefer the iPhone 5. It's now been a week since he switched and so I asked him this morning whether he was happy with his decision. He said he know understands what he was missing. He has gotten used to the virtual keyboard and feels auto-correct does what he needs for most of his casual communications. He said he is slower with his formal communications (ie. to teachers, etc) but he isn't too bothered by that. He is totally wowed by iMessage since all his friends are on iPhone so he now feels less disconnected (he said it was like BBM when most of his friends had Blackberries) but what he has completely been sold on is the integration between his Macbook and his iPhone through iTunes and iPhoto. His music, video and photos are all synced and he finds the seamlessness of it all to be a particularly attractive feature.

I really think that the youth market in North America and Europe is largely gone since the critical mass needed for BBM communications has shrunk.

When BBRY proclaim that 50% of new activations on the Z10 are made up of switchers from iOS or Android, people need to put that into perspective: 1,000,000 Z10s sold from the January launch to March 4 which means a rinky dink 500,000 users (using BBRY's own numbers) switched during that timeframe from iOS and Android to BB10. In the same period, BBRY lost 3,000,000 subscribers most of whom presumably switched from the Blackberry OS (BB7 or BB10) to some other OS (iOS, Android, whatever). If that trend continues, then BBRY will have to convice far more than 3,000,000 users to switch to BB per quarter just to maintain its current subscriber base.

To give you an idea of what these numbers mean, in the last available quarter ended December 29, 2012, Apple sold 47.8 million iPhones -- Apple said they sold 3.7 million iPhones a week during that quarter. So in a single week, Apple sold three times more iPhones than Blackberry sold Z10s in the entire 4 weeks of its launch in the UK, Canada etc. We will only know how well the Z10 is doing after the next quarter for BBRY which will include the US launch. For all our sakes (as BB users), I'm hoping that BB is attracting more users to the Z10 than it is losing to iOS and Android.
    The loss of 3,000,000 subscribers is misleading. Remember that Z10 buyers won't be considered subscribers. So BlackBerry is expecting the numbers to drop.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:06 PM
    The loss of 3,000,000 subscribers is misleading. Remember that Z10 buyers won't be considered subscribers. So BlackBerry is expecting the numbers to drop.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Z10 users are counted as subscribers, at least that's what was said during the meeting Thursday morning. Not good, but the Z10 might start to gain traction.
    03-31-13 02:16 PM
    BlackBerry released in two countries, one of which is small population wise. Apple releases in multiple countries at once.

Posted via CB10
    ErinnM likes this.
    03-31-13 02:21 PM
    People things do not happen overnight
    My family has all three platforms
    I love my bb10. 2 others are apple and 3 others are android. One of the apples will probably go BlackBerry if they keep up the good work. The others re undecided but would switch if BlackBerry keeps getting better.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:32 PM
    My family has all three platforms
    I love my bb10. 2 others are apple and 3 others are android. One of the apples will probably go BlackBerry if they keep up the good work. The others re undecided but would switch if BlackBerry keeps getting better.

Posted via CB10
    "All three platforms"
    Are you suggesting that there are just three?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:37 PM
    Had an early Easter dinner last night with some family. My step brother swapped out an older BlackBerry for an iPhone 5; His 19 year old son just picked up a Z10.
    And I saw my first Windows phone, a WP7. Some Samsungs attended as well as a BB Bold 9900, and a 9700. Strangely we had a great dinner together and no one was at each other's throat about it.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:50 PM
    Had an early Easter dinner last night with some family. My step brother swapped out an older BlackBerry for an iPhone 5; His 19 year old son just picked up a Z10.
    And I saw my first Windows phone, a WP7. Some Samsungs attended as well as a BB Bold 9900, and a 9700. Strangely we had a great dinner together and no one was at each other's throat about it.

Posted via CB10
    ya but I bet your step brother was stealing food off your plate and telling everyone it was his first.

;-)

ErinnM likes this.
    03-31-13 02:54 PM
    My daughter just traded her BB 9860 for the Z10. Damn good thing that it had instagram (after a sideload and a little jury-rigging). She is the only in her group of friends who are all with iPhones. It will be a long climb with this demographic.

She loves the keyboard.
    03-31-13 02:57 PM
    ya but I bet your step brother was stealing food off your plate and telling everyone it was his first.

;-)

Yeah, but he did that already.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-31-13 02:58 PM
    I missed those days when Teenagers were walking with Blackberry world edition, and using BBM!
    I miss those days when Teenagers were playing soccer instead of using cellphones....
    03-31-13 03:00 PM
    I miss those days when Teenagers were playing soccer instead of using cellphones....
    I miss being a teenager and sleeping with the soccer player's girlfriends while they were at practice...

ErinnM and III 4U2NV III like this.
    03-31-13 03:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    According to BBRY, Z10 users are classified as subscribers so what I understood from their conference call was that not counting the Z10 users in the mix would have meant a drop of 4,000,000 subscribers. Either way, the math doesn't work unless the number of Z10 users exceeds the number dropping their BBRY subscriptions.
    03-31-13 03:17 PM
    BlackBerry released in two countries, one of which is small population wise. Apple releases in multiple countries at once.

Posted via CB10
    Agree entirely which probably speaks as much to the botched launch than anything else. It's not like the BB10 (Z10/Q10) launch happened overnight. It was months and months in the making and they still managed to only launch in a couple of smaller markets (not the world's largest one), minus the Q10 and minus key apps (Instagram, Skype, Netflix) and minus key BBRY features (pin-to-pin, BIS).
    Last edited by NYC10065; 03-31-13 at 11:29 PM.
    03-31-13 03:22 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Not sure what you mean by "overnight" -- BB10 was years promised and years in the making. Yes, it is a brand new OS but it had the benefit of an existing subscriber base and what should have been valuable customer feedback and real life experiences/input. This was not like the first iPhone or first Android device which was feeling its way in the dark.

Yes, BB10 is a brand new OS but BBRY is not a brand new company so BBRY could have planned this thing much better than it did.

I like my Z10 but I used to love my Blackberries from the 9900 all the way back.
    03-31-13 03:25 PM
83 123 ...