Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 250
Like Tree167Likes
  1. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Z10 specs, price point - Not so impressed....

    I have been waiting patiently for the next BB to arrive. I had a 9800 and when the 9900 came out I felt shelling out $600 was just not worth it. Ended up getting a Galaxy Nexus for $349 to hold me over. That being said, Im really not impressed with the specs on the z10 (if true, but also assuming a $600 off contract price). As it stands now, its close to the same specs as the Nexus 4 ($349 brand new, unlocked, google direct). Im not trying to start a android vs bb war here, I would gladly pay(alittle) more to have the BB10. However, if BB thinks they will make a comeback selling $600 units, I for one WONT be going back. I guess this is all hearsay until the price is confirmed. But does anyone else feel this way? I can really only say I wont pay over $450 with the current specs as they stand. It doesn't matter how streamlined the OS is. ALL OS's slow down when multiple apps are opened. Thoughts?
  2. Bla1ze's Avatar
    Editor in Chief

    Posts
    11,435 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,674 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    The Nexus line and it's price point will never really be matched. It's an exception to the norm. What you're saying could pretty much be applied to any phone out there being sold.

    "Why buy <insert device> when I can get a Nexus for $349"

    Google can get away with it because their revenue isn't found in the sale price of the hardware.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

    [ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by 16:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    00stryder (12-23-2012),  Acumenight (12-21-2012),  antonnin (12-26-2012),  BB12MX (12-27-2012),  Blacklatino (12-22-2012),  bungaboy (12-29-2012),  Cesare21 (12-22-2012),  donmateo (12-21-2012),  fernandez21 (12-22-2012),  goku_vegeta (12-22-2012),  Jonesy1966 (12-22-2012),  Lehomer (12-22-2012),  mrzeolite (12-22-2012),  Plazmic Flame (12-22-2012),  sheeraz_aa (12-22-2012),  Syrous44 (12-21-2012) 
  3. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I didn't say I wasnt willing to pay more. But do you think we can expect realistic pricing from RIM? I think $450 $500 is realistic pricing. But I could be wrong. IMO RIM should sell direct. You are correct that Google makes profit from many other sources. But so does Apple, and the Iphone price is absurd to say the least. However, RIM also makes money from other things than consumer sold phones.
  4. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    23,789 Posts
    Global Posts
    24,362 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #4  

    Default

    i think 550 or higher is expected. they need to make money you know
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  5. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    I highly doubt it costs more than $250 to make that phone. Granted we do have production time of BB10 to factor in. But that should not be wholly subsidized by the first device. I guess I may still have a bad taste in my mouth from the PB fiasco. Pre-ordered and paid top dollar for a mediocre device that, granted, got better over time, but plummeted in price.
  6. taz323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    728 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,900 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: Z10 specs, price point - Not so impressed....

    it is steep, but I did pay 525. for my 9930 and I have to say the phone has never let down. and that with the PB I've gotten my money worth, so if I have to pay that or a little more for a new platform that will work even better, so be it.
    robkd and GRojasHruska like this.
  7. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    That is one thing I do love about BB. Phones seem to always work. Except for my 9800, which bricked after a week, but the replacement unit lasted many years. Valid points though.
  8. Masahiro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
    I highly doubt it costs more than $250 to make that phone.
    It's called markup. Do you know how much an iPhone costs to make, compared to how much it sells for?
    Blatant placeholder signature.
  9. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,863 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,869 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default Z10 specs, price point - Not so impressed....

    Geez! RIM has already said they won't be competing in the spec game, they will be competing in the experience game. I don't hear people complain because the i5 specs are garbage compared to the 50 droid phones released every month. No, because the i5 works well with the specs it has, it will be the same for BB10.
    Check out my app: CChecker
    Thanked by 8:
    Acumenight (12-21-2012),  antonnin (12-26-2012),  goku_vegeta (12-22-2012),  just_luc (12-22-2012),  mk2234 (12-22-2012),  mu4e (12-23-2012),  OmarVlogable (01-12-2013),  sheeraz_aa (12-22-2012) 
  10. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Yea, was specked at close to $207 to make. But Apple is known to overcharge the crap out of their devices. And they can because the masses are willing to pay for a mild upgrade.... Apple could label a rock the Iphone 6 and it would still sell.
  11. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,384 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,388 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
    I highly doubt it costs more than $250 to make that phone.
    Did a teardown of an unreleased device, have you?
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

    The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
    Gla1ze likes this.
  12. debitsohn's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    PIN
    kie and the brain.
    #12  

    Default

    Just another example of bb doing what they always have, low spec hardware and hope that ppl buy in. This time at least it LOOKS like the OS is better than before... Only time will tell.
    Thanked by:
    project_x (12-21-2012) 
    Stychill likes this.
  13. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    Did a teardown of an unreleased device, have you?
    I can see the kids have arrived. No obviously I have not. But its not hard to look at the specs and come to a rough build estimate based off price cost on similar units. But your right, you caught me, i'm sure its cost them hundreds more to make...
  14. FlashFlare11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    Geez! RIM has already said they won't be competing in the spec game, they will be competing in the experience game. I don't hear people complain because the i5 specs are garbage compared to the 50 droid phones released every month. No, because the i5 works well with the specs it has, it will be the same for BB10.
    Absolutely correct, my friend! And that is why I'm willing to put up the money on launch day; the BB10 experience will be amazing and very, very worth it!
  15. Bilaal's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,258 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,263 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I gotta agree with the above posters, RIM need to make money whilst ensuring that they're not overpricing the device and I'm sure it's in the back of their minds that people won't want to almost "risk" paying $600 for another BlackBerry device. The idea is for people to come aswell as pleasing existing customers.

    It most definitely is about the overall experience rather than a spec war. The Android OS stays relatively the same on every phone, yet the specs range from low energy to your SIII's.
    In BBRY we trust
    Editor over at BlackBerry Empire @ blackberryempire.com
    BBM Channel: C001232F7
  16. DiJu519's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Ah smartphone specs, i've had this discussion several times with the roommates.

    When it comes to smartphones, comparing hardware specs between phones running different operating systems (BB10 vs Android), is pointless. Yes they do play a role, but the combination of how well the OS utilizes and is optimized for the hardware specs is a much more important role. Things like battery life and navigating the UI are a direct result of how well the OS is utilizing it's hardware. According to wikipedia the iPhone 5 has a 1.3 GHz dual core, but the OS is optimized to **** for the hardware and its a smooth overall experience.

    You can have some crazy quad core processor, but that will do nothing but drain your battery on idle if the OS doesn't make effective use of it. Somewhat related, but the PS3 has something like 12 cores, and it's not until the end of a consoles life when we truly see games make the most of the platforms hardware.

    Also, sometimes it helps to fully read through the details. Two phones can have the same MP camera, but then one must factor in the quality of the lens, as that can severely change the quality of the resulting image.

    You also have to realize that specs are not everything. Infact the average consumer does not give a hoot about it, mainly because they can't comprehend the details. My campus is littered with Mac laptops. They're by far not the most powerful machines in comparison to a PC, and they're also priced waaay ahead of something comparable running Windows. However they are becoming more and more popular, as MacOS is optimized for the Mac laptops, and the overall experience is enough that people are willing to make the transition to these more expensive underpowered laptops, instead of using their familiar Windows pc's.

    Specs don't sell, silly buzzwords sell.(see Retina display, S beam).
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    Acumenight (12-21-2012),  antonnin (12-26-2012),  Aut-Lin37 (12-22-2012),  lynxs_claw (12-27-2012),  meltbox360 (12-23-2012),  MoolahMitch (12-28-2012),  mrzeolite (12-22-2012),  robkd (12-22-2012),  sheeraz_aa (12-22-2012),  KarlosSpicyWienr (12-22-2012),  Unbiased Tech (12-22-2012) 
  17. donmateo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,809 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Gee, paying more for a BRAND NEW product (revolutionary change) vs paying less for an updated product (evolutionary change), who would have thunk such basic economics could be so complicated. Of course it will be more....
  18. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    Fair enough. But I dont think it would have killed them to put in 2GB of ram.
  19. RECOOL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,527 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
    I have been waiting patiently for the next BB to arrive. I had a 9800 and when the 9900 came out I felt shelling out $600 was just not worth it. Ended up getting a Galaxy Nexus for $349 to hold me over. That being said, Im really not impressed with the specs on the z10 (if true, but also assuming a $600 off contract price). As it stands now, its close to the same specs as the Nexus 4 ($349 brand new, unlocked, google direct). Im not trying to start a android vs bb war here, I would gladly pay(alittle) more to have the BB10. However, if BB thinks they will make a comeback selling $600 units, I for one WONT be going back. I guess this is all hearsay until the price is confirmed. But does anyone else feel this way? I can really only say I wont pay over $450 with the current specs as they stand. It doesn't matter how streamlined the OS is. ALL OS's slow down when multiple apps are opened. Thoughts?
    haha someone who fell into the spec myth?You should look around at the browser vs videos the html and particle test.The quad core making performance greater is a myth they do not improve the phone greatly if not at all I aint seen proof.Send me the proof if you have it I aint got problem with being prooved wrong.These cyborg phones come out far too quick for them to be optimized and fined tuned to even use the quad core power.I have seen BB10 dev device beating ''flagship'' phones in test but for you seem to think more power is more important than fine tuned system that works smoothly and slickly.

    As for the money if you had'nt spent money on a nexus thats not LTE you would'nt be moaning about how expensive the Z could be.You dont want to pay the price keep your nexus you dont rate BB10 specs high enough so keep your nexus.People getting on this high horse on this spec nonsense you pay for the phone to work not on specs.The Z is beating all these other phoens in the specs that matter and I will pay for good performance any day simple as that.Pretty sure the price will be reasonable and along whats out now If you dont like it keep your nexus.
    Thanked by 2:
    Acumenight (12-21-2012),  mk2234 (12-22-2012) 
    Jake Storm and mk2234 like this.
  20. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

    Default

    Yea the PB was beating specs all over the place until it hit the real world. At which point it started getting beat. Coming from the computer tech world I can assure you specs DO matter. If I didn't buy the nexus I would not have had a phone... kinda a mute point. What I wanted from a new BB10 device, was better hardware(than whats out) w/ software optimized for the better hardware. I would gladly have paid upwards of $800. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I respect all of your points. But when anything new is released at top dollar, it usually includes better hardware. I guess its an attitude I picked up working in the computer field.

    Oh and BTW, the galaxy nexus is LTE.
    Thanked by:
    barbarianthemadserb (12-27-2012) 
  21. mathking606's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    725 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    pretty sure it costs around 300 to make. Then its sold to carriers for around probably 450 and they want to make some money so lets say add 100. Any way google makes there money on android from the services such as advertising. They want to just get you into their ecosystem
  22. aragone79's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    691 Posts
    #22  

    Default Z10 specs, price point - Not so impressed....

    truly, Z10 is not top of the top smartphone spec. But Z10 brings smartphone meaning back to the origin.

    I always say that I ever try London. the spec is still out of nowhere if you compare it with Nexus 4. But, don't question about it's overall performance.

    You cannot find the simplicity, the easy to use, and truly liquid OS from others. BB10 is straight to the point. I don't see any widget there, but the apps itself is the widget for itself.

    Don't need the shortcut since you can jump into the page where the app exist.

    If Z10 price is USD 600, I still want to buy it. If I cannot afford it by cash, I can afford it by credit.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

    HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

    9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520
  23. RECOOL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,527 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
    Yea the PB was beating specs all over the place until it hit the real world. At which point it started getting beat. Coming from the computer tech world I can assure you specs DO matter. If I didn't buy the nexus I would not have had a phone... kinda a mute point. What I wanted from a new BB10 device, was better hardware(than whats out) w/ software optimized for the better hardware. I would gladly have paid upwards of $800. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I respect all of your points. But when anything new is released at top dollar, it usually includes better hardware. I guess its an attitude I picked up working in the computer field.

    Oh and BTW, the galaxy nexus is LTE.
    The playbook specs are more than solid it does stereoscopic 3D and runs at 60fps playbook is packing power dont get it twisted it has plenty enough.Last I read cyborg fanboys were crying that LTE was only in canada nowhere else.Has news changed on that front??

    Anything at top dollar does'nt usually include better hardware you cant believe what you said?? Orange iphones and the like are prime example.No one sells truly high end hardware cost of production would be too high and a huge portion of consumers would'nt be able to afford the real price you'll be left with rich buyers and plenty dead unaffordable

    Your not only one in IT.Specs matter in pc world for games,photo/video editing,servers and music producers pretty much anything that does big scale productions that needs to process huge data. Programs that are built demanding that horse power of x amount of ram ,x processor this why people build rigs to last them at least 5 years of use.But here we talking about phones that our replaced yearly you cant swap parts out for new graphic card ,change the fan etc.Phones have no need for silly specs they need to just be working really well its main focus is communication.Have people forgot this I dont know people talk like they use their phone for everything and every minute as if its their laptop/pc on that small screen its not believable for.What you need quad core and the like? What kind of programs you need on your phone that demaned high end specs?? facebook ,netflix games??

    There are actually alot of cyborg phones with high end specs that don't even sell much.The fact that samsung even released dual core galaxys says it all.You dont need silly specs just all sounds good.I swear its liek that cliche of cars us euro folk care about technical driving ,fine tunning,the look ,the feel ,turning,speed handling, performance and you yanks care about horse power above almost everything.

    It aint my money so you got to do whats best for you brother.
    Thanked by:
    mk2234 (12-22-2012) 
  24. samadkins29's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

    Default

    RECOOL - I understand what your saying. But in order for technology to progress, companies need to push for high specs. A hard drive still works but SSD's blow them out the water. But if what you say is true, I don't need an SSD I simply need to better optimize Windows 7..... Im glad they redesigned BB to be more streamlined and to the point (one of the things I loved about my old BB phones) But you will never get me to agree that a new phone should not have better hardware than whats been available for quite awhile now. You use Euro cars as an example. So lets use it again. Say for example the Honda Accord and the BMW 7 series had the exact same features but that the 7 had a bit better tuning. Other than that everything else is the same. Would you still pay the 100K plus for the BMW or the 50k for the Accord? The reason I did buy a 745 is because it has features not offered in other cars (at the time). BB has the OS looking pretty good, but they should give the same treatment to the hardware if they want to sell well. I can see what you mean when not all high end phones sell well. Just look at where HTC is now. However, BB has a special locked in client and fan base. But that doesn't mean you over price the hardware just because you have a stream lined OS. I guess you could say that worked for Apple, but I would hate ot see RIM go down that path. It does make money, but it leads to a lack of innovation.
  25. crackcookie's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    937 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,006 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
    I have been waiting patiently for the next BB to arrive. I had a 9800 and when the 9900 came out I felt shelling out $600 was just not worth it. Ended up getting a Galaxy Nexus for $349 to hold me over. That being said, Im really not impressed with the specs on the z10 (if true, but also assuming a $600 off contract price). As it stands now, its close to the same specs as the Nexus 4 ($349 brand new, unlocked, google direct). Im not trying to start a android vs bb war here, I would gladly pay(alittle) more to have the BB10. However, if BB thinks they will make a comeback selling $600 units, I for one WONT be going back. I guess this is all hearsay until the price is confirmed. But does anyone else feel this way? I can really only say I wont pay over $450 with the current specs as they stand. It doesn't matter how streamlined the OS is. ALL OS's slow down when multiple apps are opened. Thoughts?
    Yes we all have been waiting, you make it sound like it came out but your stores are all sold out or something. Anyway, your whole point is moot because you talk about specs....who gets things for specs? Quick, what are the specs of your car/microwave/****/pants/watch/tv/video game system and their next two direct competitors? And why is it that people only talk about specs with phones, as said before, it is about the OS and the experience not the specs. I could drive a Range Rover that has higher specs than my Rav-4. But does a bigger engine and more expensive type of gas result in a better experience for me? Do sports cars that ride so low to the ground you can't see around them with powerful engines that drown out the radio result in a better experience?

    At what spec points will you be satisfied? How many megapixels, cores, and pixels does RIM need to put into their phone to please you? Seriously, what is the magic number? Does it have to be higher than someone else? Cuz, if that is the case, then when that phone is put in production, tested, marketed, and shipped....it will already be obsolete.

    Thoughts.....you need to do more thinking. Close more apps, use the browser more often, and buy phones on contract to save more money. The Nexus is an exception to the rule, and if you can afford that, you could easily afford a BB10 phone...and also, how much do you think it cost to make an S3? A Note 2? An i5? Do you think their silicon chips come from Mars, do you think their harddrives are from somewhere else besides Thailand?

    Do you know that just about everything you buy in life is marked up, be it for pure profit, or because someone has done work for you, testing, marketing.....people are here to make money, not give you money.
    Thanked by 3:
    DarioBB92 (01-07-2013),  Goint (12-25-2012),  mk2234 (12-22-2012) 
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Am I the only one not so impressed by the BSE?
    By dknyberry in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 09:20 PM
  2. Not so new, but e-mail question...
    By kristinlynn in forum Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
  3. HeadPhones abd Music, Not So Much
    By Tylerd in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
  4. VZ Navigator not so great
    By sho95 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
  5. Blackberry Data Plan, Over Priced or not?
    By t.rosa in forum BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Posting Permissions