You don't hear android users say to each other that their OS is better then each others.
    Actually you do hear this all the time. Android purists want the true android experience as designed by Google. They look down on the skinned versions created by Samsung, etc.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-30-12 05:18 AM
    How does Samsung market its stuff against the iPhone? They compare specs. They say how much faster its processor is, how much bigger the screen is, how it has stuff like NFC that iPhone doesn't have. The Galaxy S3 was a phenomenal success for Samsung this year, at times outselling the iPhone. Something they did must have worked.... maybe it was beefing up the specs.
    Most of their adverts focused more on the things that their phone could do that the iphone couldn't rather than purely the specs though e.g. the sharing stuff via nfc while people were queuing of r a new iphone.
    ljbad4life likes this.
    12-30-12 02:25 PM
    I actually do want one, and honestly, I'd probably pay up to $499 for it, so long as its camera and build quality are up to par with other high end phones, $400 is just the most I'd be willing to commit sight unseen. I'm a chronic early adopter. I've used Android when 1.6 was the latest version, I adopted Windows Phone two months after it launched, even before its first update, and I'd love to give BB10 a whirl as well. And yes, I'd pay more for an iPhone because it comes with several promises Blackberry (and Windows Phone for that matter), can't make, such as: I will have the latest, hottest apps as soon as they launch and I'm not going to be stuck with a phone on a dead or dying platform halfway through my contract or a year after I drop $500 (or more) for a phone. I wouldn't pay over $499 for a Windows Phone either. Its the reason people will pay more for a Toyota than a Kia. Does it matter that the Kia is just as good now a days and has resolved the issues of the past? No. There is a name and trust issue that Kia has that Toyota doesn't. The Toyota has a precieved higher quality, even if it is entirely in consumers minds. Thats the same problem both RIM and Microsoft face in smartphones. The biggest problem with this is that the less tech saavy a consumer is, the bigger the name issue becomes, and it is the un-tech-saavy masses RIM needs to convince to buy its phones. I'm not saying they need to go Google thin on margins, but if they launch this at $599 off contract and $250 (as some have suggested) on contract no one will buy it. At $199 on contract, it will attract slightly more buyers. At $99, it will look appealing to average consumers compared to an aging iPhone 4S and the midling Android offerings, due to its richer feature set, better screen and camera than are generally found at that price range.
    The on-contract price is out of their hands due to the carriers, but you would hope that they would price the bb10 at a mainstream price like $199 rather than creeping beyond that into pricing that would make people think twice, but going as low as $99 would probably cause some harm in some ways as it would be perceived to be cheap or outdated based on the others available at that price.

As far as the off-contract price they should clearly be undercutting the iphone by a fair margin since those are overpriced, but it is tough to know exactly the level they should be aiming at and it would be better to be slightly higher than ideal at the start while stock is likely to be limited as then you have room to reduce the pricing afterwards.
    12-30-12 02:34 PM
    A Mid tier phone at a Mid tier price, thats what i want, no overpricing or any of that crap, i want this phone but i can't and won't let my wallet be raped to get it. If it's overpriced it'll be my christmas gift to myself. If its priced fairly its a mid year buy after i closely watch all thats happening with this phone, Blackberry World, reviews the whole thing i'll be checking out to see if this will truly be money well spent.
    12-30-12 09:04 PM
    As far as the off-contract price they should clearly be undercutting the iphone by a fair margin since those are overpriced, but it is tough to know exactly the level they should be aiming at and it would be better to be slightly higher than ideal at the start while stock is likely to be limited as then you have room to reduce the pricing afterwards.
    Here they still want the same money for a 9900 as a iPhone 5. You think the Z10 will be cheaper? Not bloody likely.
    12-30-12 10:37 PM
    Here they still want the same money for a 9900 as a iPhone 5. You think the Z10 will be cheaper? Not bloody likely.
    450 to 550 is fair, but i honestly don't see it happening. I think that would call for a miracle, for me to part with $600+ for a phone would also call for a miracle. The Z10 would have to wait until the prices drop to the range i labelled as fair, the only problem would be what else is on the market if there is something tempting in my price range that will cater to my needs i may have to pass, RIM needs to watch out for stuff like that and price it suitably to avoid it happening. They can't rely on loyalty for most people their money holds no allegiance. Biggest Bang for the buck rules them all
    12-30-12 10:50 PM
    well just looked on rogers and telus website....the iphone 5 64gb off contract is at $899 and same with telus..very high..For the bold 9900 of today rogers is at $499. and telus is at $630. So if i go with those number of today..well then..still high..but still cheaper than iphone of today...would be nice not more than $500.
    12-31-12 02:16 AM
    i think you correct, if the Z10 has is the same "power" to operate at a, great level. than why not sell cheaper. if its what i think it is and the pictures are real, then that awesome !
    12-31-12 04:20 AM
    12-31-12 08:47 AM
    Specs means nothing. Otherwise can you explain to me why a dodge viper has a v10 and cost 350k less than a ferrari that has a v8? It is called refinement. That's exactly why you pay more for an iphone than a android. This is where RIM is heading with their bb10. So I wish you good luck with your Dodge
    12-31-12 09:39 AM
    Specs means nothing. Otherwise can you explain to me why a dodge viper has a v10 and cost 350k less than a ferrari that has a v8? It is called refinement. That's exactly why you pay more for an iphone than a android. This is where RIM is heading with their bb10. So I wish you good luck with your Dodge
    I know this is a BB forum, however do any of us expect the OS and build to rival that of the iPhone5? If it did, id happily pay iPhone money but I expect it to be a competitor of Nexus4 and GS3
    12-31-12 09:50 AM
    I know this is a BB forum, however do any of us expect the OS and build to rival that of the iPhone5? If it did, id happily pay iPhone money but I expect it to be a competitor of Nexus4 and GS3
    I personally expect it to be better than iPhone 5. Bold 9900 has excellent build quality, as are most high end BlackBerry phones, and many Curve 83xx were almost indestructible. I expect BB10 OS should be more capable and feature rich out of the box compared to an iPhone out of the box. That said, in the US I don't think they can charge iPhone pricing and be successful. They have a lot of name brand rebuilding in the US to do.
    Patrick Mcd likes this.
    12-31-12 11:07 AM
    When you buy your next computer I don't want you to say or mention anything about specs. Just go buy a random one. Otherwise your a hypocrite. Oh and your paying a lot for the Ferrari brand name. I tried to write an explanation of why the Ferrari cost more but it just isn't worth my time. Just know that the comparison is wrong. It's closer comparing a Toyota camry and a Honda accord.
    12-31-12 11:57 AM
    I expect it to be better. The GS3 and Nexus 4 are better too in my opinion. Apple gets away with charging ridiculous amounts of money because they've managed to build up a very positive image over the last few years. RIM can't afford to do that, so I'm expecting something similar to GS3 money, maybe a little less if we get lucky.
    12-31-12 12:03 PM
    Nexus devices are a gateway drug for Google to get more ad revenue so they don't care if they sell at or near cost. That said I think the specs are definitely on par with iOS and Android, when it comes down to how much power the OS requires to make it work. You can have a car with a 600HP engine and one with a 300HP engine and the 300HP car can beat the other one in 0-60 it depends on a lot of other factors.

Still once RIM announces the phones on 1/30 how long are we going to have to wait for product to be available? 1 week, 2 weeks, maybe 1 month. US carriers are not the most adapt at moving their butts along.
    01-03-13 12:55 PM
    Still once RIM announces the phones on 1/30 how long are we going to have to wait for product to be available? 1 week, 2 weeks, maybe 1 month. US carriers are not the most adapt at moving their butts along.
    That is going to be a clear problem because even if some countries get it within 1-2 weeks, the odds are that american carriers will be nearer the 1 month mark due to their slowness for anything not launched by apple.
    01-03-13 05:48 PM
    Specs means nothing.
    Specs and OS work together to create a nice experience. A home with an absolute top of the line specs can be hampered by software problems and a slick OS can be hampered by specs that are too weak.

Specs do mean something. Did you ever try using the original (sluggish) Torch out of the box? Had that great new web browser and updated homescreen hampered by an anemic processor. Or run iOS 6 on a last gen iPod touch. Misery ...
    01-03-13 06:07 PM
    "People dont buy what you do, they buy why you do it." - Simon Sinek

And i will buy the Z10 without even testing it before
    01-03-13 06:51 PM
    "People dont buy what you do, they buy why you do it." - Simon Sinek

And i will buy the Z10 without even testing it before
    Did that with the playbook, wont happen again.... I dont think ive ever lost that much money so rapidly on tech.
    01-03-13 11:11 PM
    Specs and OS work together to create a nice experience. A home with an absolute top of the line specs can be hampered by software problems and a slick OS can be hampered by specs that are too weak.

Specs do mean something. Did you ever try using the original (sluggish) Torch out of the box? Had that great new web browser and updated homescreen hampered by an anemic processor. Or run iOS 6 on a last gen iPod touch. Misery ...
    Obviously specs mean SOMETHING, but they don't mean anything near as much as people think they do. Past about dual-core and 1.3 is where specs pretty much stop mattering. There is absolutely no software out there that will run on a mobile platform that could even come close to maxing out a quad core chip. And to some degree that's part of the idea; that you can multi-task and never experience slowdown. But there aren't really degrees of smoothness... If the experiance feels nice and quick and responsive all the time, then how does stapling another couple of cores onto something improve it?

Yes, of course good OS get hamstrung by ****ty hardware, but come on. If you think RIM are going to put out a phone that is badly underpowered even to just run the core OS then you're stupid.

BB10 devices will at least exceed the iPhone 5 specs (1.3 vs 1.5ghz dual cores) and be on par with the Lumia 920 and similar. What do you think RIM has done to QNX to make it run worse on more power than on the playbook ? What do you think they could do to any OS to make it be developed today by professionals and run worse the iOs or WinPho?
    01-04-13 08:04 AM
    01-04-13 04:09 PM
    That includes 13% sales tax, which Bell would have to disclose as a part of the final value of the prize. So around $600 pre-tax.

Or less. Bell could be just picking the highest possible reasonable number in order to cover themselves.
    01-04-13 05:30 PM
    That includes 13% sales tax, which Bell would have to disclose as a part of the final value of the prize. So around $600 pre-tax.

Or less. Bell could be just picking the highest possible reasonable number in order to cover themselves.
    Most places would have a sales tax. Here in Oz we have a GST (Goods and Service Tax) of 10%. So, it would equate to about $660 here - plus the "Australia Tax" that most overseas companies (Apple included) like to charge to get things here. So, I'm expecting $699AUD minimum.
    01-04-13 07:35 PM
    As an example, at the moment, the cheapest price for a new 9900 outright here (not on contract) is through a grey importer at $529.00AUD. The carriers are still charging $650 - $700. This is crazy .... who would spend that sort of money on a nearly obsolete phone? Can you imagine if you didn't know about BB10 (99.99% of the population) and just paid over $500 clams for this?
    01-04-13 07:41 PM
    As an example, at the moment, the cheapest price for a new 9900 outright here (not on contract) is through a grey importer at $529.00AUD. The carriers are still charging $650 - $700. This is crazy .... who would spend that sort of money on a nearly obsolete phone? Can you imagine if you didn't know about BB10 (99.99% of the population) and just paid over $500 clams for this?
    In my opinion it was obsolete from launch, rim should have gone from OS5 straight to 10.
    01-04-13 07:55 PM
250 ... 78910