So I've had the Z10 for about 2 days now and I'm really wondering how some people can handle such large phones. The Z10 which has a 4.2 inch screen is already barely manageable for one handed use. I find myself having to keep repositioning my hand to reach for menus and clicking on things.

I'm coming from my BlackBerry Torch 9810 where my thumb could reach any part of the screen with ease and without having to reposition my hand, so the Z10 felt like it was oversized. (Of course in terms of viewing videos and browsing it then feels too small) But it makes me wonder, how do people manage phones with larger screens, like the Note2 which has a 5.5 inch screen! Or even the new GS4 with the 5" screen. I guess there was one thing Apple did right, and that was to keep the screen size small. Now of course there are people with gigantic hands, but thats a minority. And there is always the option of using the phone with 2 hands, but that just feels cumbersome. I don't want to use 2 hands when I want to quickly check my email. (which is still great on the Z10 with the swipe up and right)

Anyone feel the same coming from a smaller phone? Like the Z10 is too big to handle? Or maybe someone coming from another platform feel that smaller phones are just nicer in your hands.
    Feel like I'd probably like the Q10 better. Hmmmmmmm
    03-14-13 11:38 PM
    I think the z10 is just right for one finger movements. I had an s3 and found it to be too big, however I did adapt and eventually find ways to slide the phone over my palm to use one hand. The z10 in my opinion though is much more effective and I find myself with perfect distance for my thumb alone to get at the entire screen.

Posted via CB10
    tmaier likes this.
    03-14-13 11:42 PM
    too big? You must have some small hands since I am coming from a 9810 as well and have no problem using the z10 as one handed.
    Mischief433, datgurl and R Field like this.
    03-14-13 11:49 PM
    I can't even type properly with both thumbs on my Note. It's great for web surfing and watching movies but for texting, it's a pain.

I think it's because you are moving from the Torch which you have grown accustomed to. Give yourself a couple of more weeks. My hands are small and although I prefer using both hands (so I can type faster), I can handle one hand operation too. Good thing the phone isn't heavy! Good job on that, BB!
    Cap_172R and stevepar like this.
    03-14-13 11:53 PM
    I'm 6 2, and one hand operation is doable, not preferred.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 11:54 PM
    I came from the iphone and i understand your pain, but I got used to it in about a week. Pinky under the phone for support and I can reach most places with my thumb. It's all about how the phone sits on my pinky to be able to reach the top left corner.

You'll get used to it
    sam_b77 and MrPat like this.
    03-14-13 11:58 PM
    I can't even type properly with both thumbs on my Note. It's great for web surfing and watching movies but for texting, it's a pain.

I think it's because you are moving from the Torch which you have grown accustomed to. Give yourself a couple of more weeks. My hands are small and although I prefer using both hands (so I can type faster), I can handle one hand operation too. Good thing the phone isn't heavy! Good job on that, BB!
    I agree 100% Typing on the note is horrible... One handed use is totally out of the question, using both is tiring at best. My Z10 is perfect, very comfortable to use. To the OP, i'm sure after a few days of use it'll grow on you and you'll get accustomed to it! (that was the case for my Note, but fell in love instantly with my Z10.)
    pandapurple likes this.
    03-15-13 12:00 AM
    My hands are too small for the Note or the S3, but I'm comfortable with 4.3" phones and the Z10 is in that segment when it comes to size.

I find the iPhone screen is too narrow actually, despite having relatively small hands.
    03-15-13 12:01 AM
    I have small hands and my previous phones were the BB Pearl and the original iPhone and the iPhone4. I've had the Z10 for a month. I'm getting better at using it one-handed but I'm still afraid I'm going to drop it when I type one-handed. I position the Z10 a little higher in my hand (actually slightly closer to my fingers (to allow my thumb a better reach) and support the bottom of my Z10 with my pinky.

Love the two-thumb typing though, and the bigger screen (compared to iPhone4).
    pandapurple likes this.
    03-15-13 12:03 AM
    I came from the iphone and i understand your pain, but I got used to it in about a week. Pinky under the phone for support and I can reach most places with my thumb. It's all about how the phone sits on my pinky to be able to reach the top left corner.

You'll get used to it
    Yes! That's how I use it
    03-15-13 12:04 AM
    I understand what you're saying, I felt like my hands were cramping up for the first few days. Don't worry! You'll get used to it and it will get better!
    03-15-13 12:05 AM
    I can't relate. My hands are tiny, but I have no problems with one handed use. Reaching for the top corners can be a bit of a pain, but most of the options are on the lower portion of the screen, thanks to Cascades and the general design of the UI.
    03-15-13 12:06 AM
    I think it's good for the first week to use two hands. Get comfortable until you don't have to think about how to navigate. Two days is too soon. There is a good chance that after two weeks you will forget you even had to write this thread.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 12:11 AM
    Reaching for the top corners can be a bit of a pain, but most of the options are on the lower portion of the screen, thanks to Cascades and the general design of the UI.
    This is true. When I first saw the URL box for the browser was at the bottom I thought to myself it was no big deal but I like the web address at the top, it's what I'm used to. Now that I've played with it it makes a lot more sense to have it on the bottom.
    03-15-13 12:19 AM
    So I've had the Z10 for about 2 days now and I'm really wondering how some people can handle such large phones. The Z10 which has a 4.2 inch screen is already barely manageable for one handed use. I find myself having to keep repositioning my hand to reach for menus and clicking on things.

I'm coming from my BlackBerry Torch 9810 where my thumb could reach any part of the screen with ease and without having to reposition my hand, so the Z10 felt like it was oversized. (Of course in terms of viewing videos and browsing it then feels too small) But it makes me wonder, how do people manage phones with larger screens, like the Note2 which has a 5.5 inch screen! Or even the new GS4 with the 5" screen. I guess there was one thing Apple did right, and that was to keep the screen size small. Now of course there are people with gigantic hands, but thats a minority. And there is always the option of using the phone with 2 hands, but that just feels cumbersome. I don't want to use 2 hands when I want to quickly check my email. (which is still great on the Z10 with the swipe up and right)

Anyone feel the same coming from a smaller phone? Like the Z10 is too big to handle? Or maybe someone coming from another platform feel that smaller phones are just nicer in your hands.
    Feel like I'd probably like the Q10 better. Hmmmmmmm
    I kinda agree with you but I've gotten used to it pretty quickly. Especially for typing I'm using one hand to type since i flick up most of the words now. But i rock a holster and feel that it looks a little bigger than previous phones. As far as functionality goes i do not have any issues with the size anymore

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    03-15-13 12:23 AM
    I was interested to see, on the Note 2 there's "one handed" settings that group all the buttons and keyboard keys to one side of the device (you choose) so it's easier to use one handed. Smart thinking.
    03-15-13 12:30 AM
    It's taken me some time to get used to one-handed operation, but one thing that's impressed me is that in many cases, the UI and apps are built in such a way that you're usually touching the bottom of the screen, where your thumb has the best reach.
    03-15-13 12:30 AM
    I was interested to see, on the Note 2 there's "one handed" settings that group all the buttons and keyboard keys to one side of the device (you choose) so it's easier to use one handed. Smart thinking.
    Would be neat if this shows up in a future setting so that peeking could be done in the opposite direction for those who like to hold the phone in their left hand.
    03-15-13 12:44 AM
    I have wondered since getting a BlackBerry Z10 about the size of the smartphone. Maybe the length should have been reduced by the equivalent of the top or bottom bezel, possibly both so that the top of the smartphone matches the position / extended length of the index finger.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-15-13 12:51 AM
    It's taken me some time to get used to one-handed operation, but one thing that's impressed me is that in many cases, the UI and apps are built in such a way that you're usually touching the bottom of the screen, where your thumb has the best reach.

yeah, it's nice the consistency they kept in the UI design.
    03-15-13 01:05 AM
    Would be neat if this shows up in a future setting so that peeking could be done in the opposite direction for those who like to hold the phone in their left hand.
    That *would* be a great feature.
    03-15-13 01:10 AM
    The UI/UX is designed to allow one handed use. I find myself using the dev alpha a lot one handed, especially when the menus and settings are usually a swipe away.
    03-15-13 01:14 AM
    Without having handled one, I think it is sized very well on paper. I prefer typing one-handed, so we'll see
    03-15-13 01:21 AM

You'll get used to it
    LOL @ pinky under the phone. Reading your post made me realize that's exactly how I position the Z10

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 01:23 AM
    Great thread and I can definitely relate. I was at Best Buy Wednesday afternoon checking to see if there were any BB10 cases in stock. Of course there wasn't, but I'll be back...anyway back to my story. I browse around the different sets of phones and I look at the screen sizes, "4.3, 5. 4.7 etc" and so I grab one of the "4.3" phones and hold it in my left hand. I start practicing the swiping gesture from the bottom bezel and swiping to the right on the screen. The phone is a little big and the 4.2 won't be any different for me. I already have the 9900 and so the Q10 is pretty much like the 9900, but I want a bigger screen. I had the Torch, great combo but was slow. I can totally relate to the OP and this new one handed grip is going to be something to get used to.
    03-15-13 01:43 AM
32 12