Can anyone with hands on experience talk about the Z10 a little? I would like to know the Pros and cons compared to other major selling points on other devices and what is the phone lacking? I heard good and bad news about the Z10. Seeing that I would be buying the device at a pretty penny, I want to make sure it's everything i am looking for. Is this phone competition for other major phones out there like the iPhone and GS3?

NJB
    02-06-13 02:32 PM
    Where do we begin? Just look at Crackberry's review and N4BB's for a pretty full picture.
    I suggest you make a list/chart of the things your looking for and just check things off as you read along.

If it satisfies most if not all your requirements then go for it I'd say.

My personal opinion is that the GS3 and iPhone mainly has more apps at the moment. That's it, and that's not enough to convince me to get them over the Z10.
    02-06-13 02:59 PM
    Hi, This is my first post i think, but i have hands on experience, Ive been using BB since the 8100 days and only moved to android because my 9800 started to fail in august of 2012, i didnt want to get another BB device cause i was going to wait for the BB10 to come out, so i thought i would try android. i feel that the GS3 is far more advanced than the Z10, everything merges together seamlessly through Google, from messages to maps, when receiving a message on the s3 i would get a notification with a quick header of what the message says, i could "peek" by swiping down from the top, sort of like the bb hub, if searched an address i could start to navigate to it very easy, the apps are out of this world on Google play. it felt as though my s3 was a computer with name brand apps from just about every company. heck i downloaded a flight simulator for free just to pass some time. now that i have the z10 i feel that it lacks in many areas, had i never used the android device i would say "yes get the z10 it far more advanced compared to the rest of the BB lineup, but beside an S3 it has a better browser?? i'm a diehard BB fan and love the system that BB used to run on, i just realized i cant to the short cut like "mypin" mynumber" "LT" "LD" on the Z10, those were really handy, or would be nice to start searching the device when i pull up the keyboard with 2 finger swipe up from any screen. otherwise why let me pull up the keyboard if i cant use it. this is just my 2 cents guys, i love BB, but don't think its quite as advanced as the android, in terms of seamless/merging flow of apps. i haven't mentioned iPhone because i don't know anything about them, i was never a mac guy so i just stayed away, for all i know the mac is even better, but i wouldn't know. at the end of te day, blackberry has done a great job with this new platform, but its gonna be hard to compete against google. the WWW is dominated by google and google controls alot, i dont see how any company could compete with them, google has more everything to fight back with. google is apart of everyday life now and conveniently works well with our phones too now. im sorry Blackberry, but you lost this battle when you said "We have a clear shot at being the number three platform on the market" its like the coach telling the kids to go out there and come in third!!!!! yeah!!!!!! why not 1st??? why set up to fail? anyways........ill keep the z10 in hopes of future upgrades i guess. i wish the BB CEO reads this and sends me an email, ill gladly sit and talk with him.

EDIT, the shortcuts do work, just not in the txt msgs, in email and bbm they work, typing "mypin" will give you the actual pin like the older bb's. just not in txt msg mode, it must be a glitch, im sure they will fix it up.
    Last edited by DUDEBUD; 02-07-13 at 11:33 PM.
    02-06-13 03:36 PM
    Thanks for the response. I never used android based devices but friends have. Since it's not in the US yet, a lot of people can only go based off what they've seena nd used personally. Def has me thinking even though i love BB. The BBM alone is a great feature
    02-07-13 02:35 PM
    i just realized i cant to the short cut like "mypin" mynumber" "LT" "LD" on the Z10, those were really handy,.
    Would adding an entry in the Word Substitution library work? You could add mypin -> xxxxxxx. Going to try it myself. It should have been built in, but I guess they don't see the PIN as a contact method for BBM (now blackberry ID).

EDIT: Just realized mypin shortcut does work on the Z10. Not everwhere, depends on the keyboard type/setting maybe? Worked when trying in the body of an email.
    02-07-13 09:03 PM
    Shortcuts work
    02-07-13 09:13 PM
    yes, they work, but not in sms mode, its a glitch, thats why i assumed it didnt have the feature anymore.
    02-07-13 11:30 PM
    Hi, This is my first post i think, but i have hands on experience, Ive been using BB since the 8100 days and only moved to android because my 9800 started to fail in august of 2012, i didnt want to get another BB device cause i was going to wait for the BB10 to come out, so i thought i would try android. i feel that the GS3 is far more advanced than the Z10, everything merges together seamlessly through Google, from messages to maps, when receiving a message on the s3 i would get a notification with a quick header of what the message says, i could "peek" by swiping down from the top, sort of like the bb hub, if searched an address i could start to navigate to it very easy, the apps are out of this world on Google play. it felt as though my s3 was a computer with name brand apps from just about every company. heck i downloaded a flight simulator for free just to pass some time. now that i have the z10 i feel that it lacks in many areas, had i never used the android device i would say "yes get the z10 it far more advanced compared to the rest of the BB lineup, but beside an S3 it has a better browser?? i'm a diehard BB fan and love the system that BB used to run on, i just realized i cant to the short cut like "mypin" mynumber" "LT" "LD" on the Z10, those were really handy, or would be nice to start searching the device when i pull up the keyboard with 2 finger swipe up from any screen. otherwise why let me pull up the keyboard if i cant use it. this is just my 2 cents guys, i love BB, but don't think its quite as advanced as the android, in terms of seamless/merging flow of apps. i haven't mentioned iPhone because i don't know anything about them, i was never a mac guy so i just stayed away, for all i know the mac is even better, but i wouldn't know. at the end of te day, blackberry has done a great job with this new platform, but its gonna be hard to compete against google. the WWW is dominated by google and google controls alot, i dont see how any company could compete with them, google has more everything to fight back with. google is apart of everyday life now and conveniently works well with our phones too now. im sorry Blackberry, but you lost this battle when you said "We have a clear shot at being the number three platform on the market" its like the coach telling the kids to go out there and come in third!!!!! yeah!!!!!! why not 1st??? why set up to fail? anyways........ill keep the z10 in hopes of future upgrades i guess. i wish the BB CEO reads this and sends me an email, ill gladly sit and talk with him.

EDIT, the shortcuts do work, just not in the txt msgs, in email and bbm they work, typing "mypin" will give you the actual pin like the older bb's. just not in txt msg mode, it must be a glitch, im sure they will fix it up.

Why would pulling up the keyword reveal search(which is what happens on iOS) when there is a dedicated search button. I've used the gs3 and its not what people make it out to be, I returned it for a iPhone 5. Android is cool if you like to play with things, likes backgrounds, colours, widgets customization etc. but blackberry always was and has been a productive business tool. The hub on blackberry is no different from the hub of bbos7 devices, so you stating that the s3 shows you a message is irrelevant because bb has always had a different notification system.

You clearly sound like someone who loves the android experience and expects the same out of bb10, that's not gonna happen, bb10 is the blackberry experience on a all touch up to par smartphone. Its not android, just like android is not iOS. All have different features, a different ui and will remain different
    02-08-13 12:41 AM
    No, i dont love the android experience, i just find that it ties life together much easier since google controls the world and easily integrates that control on the phones, like ive said before, i love bb and always had used them, ive only used android since aug 2012, and i agree its cool but maybe too fancy, but lets face it, it does more than the blackberry. the whole idea of using 2 finger swipe to pull up a keyboard is useless if it doesn't respond to us hitting keys, so might aswell pull up the universal search with it, otherwise what was the point in that gesture? im not knocking bb10, i think its great, im just saying that mr android has the edge. im all for the "android is a toy and BB is a tool. but unfortunately the toys are winning, im sure BB is trying to merge the toys and the tools in one device, but it will take time, i hope they succeed

Why would pulling up the keyword reveal search(which is what happens on iOS) when there is a dedicated search button. I've used the gs3 and its not what people make it out to be, I returned it for a iPhone 5. Android is cool if you like to play with things, likes backgrounds, colours, widgets customization etc. but blackberry always was and has been a productive business tool. The hub on blackberry is no different from the hub of bbos7 devices, so you stating that the s3 shows you a message is irrelevant because bb has always had a different notification system.

You clearly sound like someone who loves the android experience and expects the same out of bb10, that's not gonna happen, bb10 is the blackberry experience on a all touch up to par smartphone. Its not android, just like android is not iOS. All have different features, a different ui and will remain different
    02-08-13 12:58 AM
    No, i dont love the android experience, i just find that it ties life together much easier since google controls the world and easily integrates that control on the phones, like ive said before, i love bb and always had used them, ive only used android since aug 2012, and i agree its cool but maybe too fancy, but lets face it, it does more than the blackberry. the whole idea of using 2 finger swipe to pull up a keyboard is useless if it doesn't respond to us hitting keys, so might aswell pull up the universal search with it, otherwise what was the point in that gesture? im not knocking bb10, i think its great, im just saying that mr android has the edge. im all for the "android is a toy and BB is a tool. but unfortunately the toys are winning, im sure BB is trying to merge the toys and the tools in one device, but it will take time, i hope they succeed
    Well it does seem like your knocking bb10, especially since it seems like you fail to realize this is bb10 1.0. And like I said you are use to and enjoy the android experience. But not everyone uses gmail, android or google services so not everyone is gonna have the same experience as you. Blackberrys seems to offer email, cloud storage/back up, and everything else android and iOS offer, I'm an iPhone 5 user and don't see your point. And of course android does more then bb10 android has been around for 5 years and was being developed well before then, same with iOS, so there will be certain things they do that bb doesn't or that they may do better "right now", but that's what updating an OS is about. Compare bb10 1.0 to iOS/android 1.0 and you see what I'm talking about, bb10 can only get better from here as iOS/android did when they were first released. And if the 2 finger swipe up gesture is useless, then don't use it, its not the focus of the phone they put they gesture there for easy access for any app.

And android is more a toy and bb is more a tool. Androids winning in market share because they release pone s that sell for $0.99-$50/or free, phones that will never get the latest update nevermind play the newest games. 75-80% of android users are not running the latest software and never will. No OS or smartphone vender is on top forever look at history, cause it will repeat itself. and thats On top of bb not having anew OS or none since 2011. And blackberry is bring a productive communication device and the toy together with bb10. You don't have to like it, no one is forcing you to.
    02-08-13 04:44 PM
    All I'm gonna say is that rim has been around for along time, they knew what they had to do to get the people to swing thier way, an in my opinion, (my god given right to an opinion) they missed. I applaud the attempt, what they did here is marvelous with bb10, but it's not enough, hopefully they build it to be better, but from what I observe, they don't want to be better, they want #3. That's unacceptable. Mr bb said it himself. #3. Would you invest in a company that doesn't want to be on top? Without investments market share goes down with no cash to upgrade, keep consumers happy,keep sales going up. I hope they can make it out alive. I honestly do, so stop flaming me for putting in my opinion.

Well it does seem like your knocking bb10, especially since it seems like you fail to realize this is bb10 1.0. And like I said you are use to and enjoy the android experience. But not everyone uses gmail, android or google services so not everyone is gonna have the same experience as you. Blackberrys seems to offer email, cloud storage/back up, and everything else android and iOS offer, I'm an iPhone 5 user and don't see your point. And of course android does more then bb10 android has been around for 5 years and was being developed well before then, same with iOS, so there will be certain things they do that bb doesn't or that they may do better "right now", but that's what updating an OS is about. Compare bb10 1.0 to iOS/android 1.0 and you see what I'm talking about, bb10 can only get better from here as iOS/android did when they were first released. And if the 2 finger swipe up gesture is useless, then don't use it, its not the focus of the phone they put they gesture there for easy access for any app.

And android is more a toy and bb is more a tool. Androids winning in market share because they release pone s that sell for $0.99-$50/or free, phones that will never get the latest update nevermind play the newest games. 75-80% of android users are not running the latest software and never will. No OS or smartphone vender is on top forever look at history, cause it will repeat itself. and thats On top of bb not having anew OS or none since 2011. And blackberry is bring a productive communication device and the toy together with bb10. You don't have to like it, no one is forcing you to.
    02-10-13 10:00 PM
    All I'm gonna say is that rim has been around for along time, they knew what they had to do to get the people to swing thier way, an in my opinion, (my god given right to an opinion) they missed. I applaud the attempt, what they did here is marvelous with bb10, but it's not enough, hopefully they build it to be better, but from what I observe, they don't want to be better, they want #3. That's unacceptable. Mr bb said it himself. #3. Would you invest in a company that doesn't want to be on top? Without investments market share goes down with no cash to upgrade, keep consumers happy,keep sales going up. I hope they can make it out alive. I honestly do, so stop flaming me for putting in my opinion.
    Actually i would invest in a company if they want #3. They know they will never go back to #1 as Android & IOS has flooded the market. Its hard for them to bring out something that can out beat them. Not everything is about specs & i am sure if BlackBerry released a phone with Quad-core / 1080p screen & the other little gimmics, critics & others would still complain.
    02-10-13 10:04 PM
    You can read our review, and check out our video review and unboxing video of the Z10 White from Rogers

Review of the Blackberry Z10 | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Digital Publishing News
    02-10-13 10:04 PM