This is taking a while. ETrade had to cancel my order because the screen they had left in stock wasn't up to their standards. Kudos to them for not sending me a non-working screen at least. Any idea how long it usually takes a Paypal refund to go back to your credit card? Paypal says the transaction was completed, but my online banking lists nothing yet.

So I'm trying again with N4BB. Paid a bit extra for the UPS/DHL option so hopefully it arrives fairly quickly. Already Wednesday though, so the chances of getting anything by Friday are looking slimmer by the minute.

Been an exciting time going back to my Galaxy Nexus: There's been a lot of fun changes to the Google Apps that I'd love to see them some day port over to BlackBerry (hah, right...), but yesterday I caught a reflection off something red in the top right corner of the screen and for a second thought I was seeing a flashing LED and was sad. I didn't even get a chance to install the latest OS leak.

Hopefully I can get this fixed before the 1st, when my wife gets back from England since she'll be needing her GNex back, and the battery on my Nexus S is pretty much the worst.
    05-22-13 12:23 PM
    In my personal experience, refunds from PayPal usually take 2-3 days... Is true supplier good? customer service-wise.
    05-22-13 12:34 PM
    So, DHL has my screen sitting in a warehouse in Hong Kong. Customs has cleared, and everything, just waiting to ship off to Canada. Was hoping it would arrive tomorrow (today? Monday), but since it would have to be on the truck in less than seven hours I am doubtful. Hopefully it arrives by the end of the week. Hopefully DHL doesn't mishandle my "fragile" package.

Then. THEN I can finally confirm whether or not this whole "chassis swap" nonsense is actually doable. Still carrying the phone with me everywhere as a reminder of what happens when I think I can do things.

Also I wish I could fix the typo in my thread title.
    05-26-13 11:43 PM
    Arrgh, my package landed in Ohio. On a holiday.
    05-27-13 06:29 PM
    Z10 replacement chasis-img_20130528_165504.jpg

DHL just dropped off the new screen, and I've swapped it in. This looks promising.

Edit: Phone turns on, reads the SIM card and memory card, headphone jack works, speakers work, phone charges and connects to computer, vibrator function works, volume buttons are fine...

What else should I check?
    Attached Thumbnails Z10 replacement chasis-img_20130528_165504.jpg   Z10 replacement chasis-img_20130528_165504.jpg  
    Last edited by Baconwich; 05-28-13 at 04:23 PM.
    05-28-13 04:00 PM
    =D

It works!

Looking more closely at the whole phone, it seems the front of the white shell has a tiny nick in the plastic. I'm assuming that this means mine came from a batch that didn't meet QA for cosmetic reasons. I'll get a picture later. It's not super noticeable, unless you're crazy, like me.

Not going to swap back to my black chassis, as I don't want to risk any more screen damage and ribbon cables are tricky. Just a thing I noticed.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Baconwich; 05-29-13 at 12:55 AM.
    fstick09 and shava9865 like this.
    05-28-13 04:09 PM
    i'm glad everything turned out good for you...
    05-29-13 06:39 AM
    Awesome, Bro.
    Glad you actually managed together the phone up and running, my black one should arrive anytime soon !
    05-29-13 12:13 PM
    Have you guys looked at the photos?
    The SIM slot placement is different, just look at the back of your phones.

I'm so tempted to buy a black one, because I regret white so bad!
    yeah, you're right.
    06-06-13 06:01 AM
    Awesome, Bro.
    Glad you actually managed together the phone up and running, my black one should arrive anytime soon !
    So, any news on yours? Go better than mine?

Actually thinking if going back to black. Love the white, but it lowers my options for skins, and it's a dust/scratch magnet. Just not comfortable trying to move the screen again.

Asked ETrade if they might be able to get their hands on a red mid chassis, but it doesn't look promising. Also no guarantee they'd get one compatible with a 100-3.

I have to take it apart again anyways: smudged the camera on the inside. Need to give it a wipe.

Posted via CB10, from my colour-confused Z10
    06-10-13 08:40 PM
    Which parts did you order? I am thinking of taking the plunge to convert mine to white. I have the following in my cart at etrade supply.

OEM BlackBerry Z10 Middle Plate (A Version)
    OEM BlackBerry Z10 Battery Door
    06-13-13 01:52 PM
    Which parts did you order? I am thinking of taking the plunge to convert mine to white. I have the following in my cart at etrade supply.

OEM BlackBerry Z10 Middle Plate (A Version)
    OEM BlackBerry Z10 Battery Door
    The middle plate is what I ended up getting, and it comes with the vibrator, headphone jack, and all the buttons you need. You'll probably need a dab of thermal paste to sit under the processor (that big square on the middle plate around where the SD card slot would also be).

And just be careful with the screen, and with prying off the plastic plate inside: mine's starting to crack from constant removing and re-seating.
    06-13-13 03:16 PM
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 08:05 PM
    I swapped back into the black today. Feels like a bit of a waste of $230 at this point, considering the screen fiasco, but I think I'd prefer the black for putting skins on. I'm fairly fickle, that way.

The black Z10 definitely feels heavier than the white.

Another thing to note when re-assembling the phone: The plastic back plating has issues clipping in around the camera. Do not force it, you'll just end up damaging the camera. You need to make sure that it's aligned properly, which can be tricky. Also the metal bit that the camera itself rests in can be tricky.
    06-16-13 04:08 PM
    Taking apart any smartphone is delicate, but quite easy provided you're not "all thumbs" or operating with 2 left hands. Also, try not to be a bull in a China shop, that will just ruin everything. I know I'm late to the thread, lol

Posted via CB10 on a Q10 or a Z10, either way it's golden.
    06-16-13 09:17 PM
    Taking apart any smartphone is delicate, but quite easy provided you're not "all thumbs" or operating with 2 left hands. Also, try not to be a bull in a China shop, that will just ruin everything. I know I'm late to the thread, lol

Posted via CB10 on a Q10 or a Z10, either way it's golden.
    I'm actually a lot clumsier than I let on. I noticed while booting that every time I tap the screen it ripples at the top right corner, around where the camera is on the other side, so I'm going to have to take it apart again and see what I've got squeezed in there.

Probably have to get another screen eventually too. The one N4BB sent me is picking up a lot of dead pixels. Thankfully at this PPI they're small, and the light Z10 theme helps keep them hidden mostly, but I notice it on dark screens.

Poor thing.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    06-16-13 11:01 PM
    Attachment 162960

T4 and T2 from this set fit like a charm. Looks like the ones that came with the parts, and my old cheapo set were made with fairly poor measurements

This set was also only $9 at Canada Computers, so I'm not sure where my cheapo set ($8 from The Source a few years back?) gets off being so lousy. Unless there's metric/imperial Torx bits with the same names, but that would be silly.

Posted via CB10
    That is good to know. I've watched a few videos on taking apart a Z10, all pretty much agree that the first set of screws are T4's, but they don't all agree on the second set of smaller screws, some say anything from T1, T2 and even one said they were a 0.8mm pentalobe screw, like the newer iphones :-/

JR
    08-25-13 07:57 PM
    Oh, anyways, also grabbed a white back, and it looks great now. Full-white, wish I'd gotten one in the first place. Might grab a new new screen when I've got a bit of money, now that they're down in price, get rid of the scratched one with the dead pixels.

But I'm mostly using my Q10 now, which I have fixed up with a red bezel (which turned out to be rubbish, by the way. Chipping paint all over).

learned a lot about disassembling phones, at least. Q10 is a lot easier to take apart too, with the no adhesive on the screen and slightly larger torx screws.
    12-05-13 09:05 AM
    Where can you get thermal paste and do I need it? I just received some replacement parts that came with the front screen section and frame and the back plastic piece. I see the big square where a circle of paste would be.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 09:06 PM
    Picked up a small tube at Canada Computers. Recommended if you're switching mid-frames.

Any major electronics store should have some.

Just a tiny dab will do, though.

"I only hope that by my example, others themselves may be spared doing foolish things..."
    01-01-14 12:18 PM
    Thanks. I also discovered that a t4 (Wiha brand) does not fit to larger screws. It's a bit too big.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 12:32 PM
    Be really careful working on these things folks....

I have a hot-air station that I just bought because I decided I'd rather fix my own stupid stuff (like power switches and such) -- but I've been doing electronics repair and assembly for a few decades. These boards and their connectors are VERY delicate.

In particular the connectors are designed to only be mated and unmated a couple of times in their life. They will not stand up to repeated mating and un-mating and if you damage one of the board-side connectors you're screwed.

Replacing switches and components is even more of a high-wire act but I'm pretty good at it and have a decent -- but not perfect -- rate of success.
    01-01-14 04:38 PM
    Be really careful working on these things folks....

I have a hot-air station that I just bought because I decided I'd rather fix my own stupid stuff (like power switches and such) -- but I've been doing electronics repair and assembly for a few decades. These boards and their connectors are VERY delicate.

In particular the connectors are designed to only be mated and unmated a couple of times in their life. They will not stand up to repeated mating and un-mating and if you damage one of the board-side connectors you're screwed.

Replacing switches and components is even more of a high-wire act but I'm pretty good at it and have a decent -- but not perfect -- rate of success.
    Aww man, way to ruin the mood with your Alarming Realism. =P

Absolutely right of course. Replacing a broken screen is one thing, since the phone is essentially useless to begin with. Constantly swapping out your case for vanity reasons *cough* is fairly foolish, as the chances of things going wrong are pretty high. At this point Z10s are so common on ebay you might be better off just selling yours and buying the colour that you want, or just going with stickers (can't speak highly enough of the DBrand skins I had on my black Z10).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

That being said, I'm worried, now, about opening this can of worms, but I found a seller on eBay selling the red dev. chassis and back piece, and will likely be tearing my phone down one last time for that. (Also comes with a new screen, which helps my scratch/dead pixel issues)
    01-04-14 02:39 PM
98 ... 234