Browsing through this weeks future shop and best buy flyers (here in Canada) I noticed that the Z10 was not being advertised along with all the other smartphones. Big ads for iPhone 5 and gs3 and NOTHING for Z10.....

I kept flipping through the flyer and found it on the back page. Someone shopping for a new smartphone will probably stop at the smartphone section.

Kind of annoyed at this. What's the deal?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 10:53 AM
    Browsing through this weeks future shop and best buy flyers (here in Canada) I noticed that the Z10 was not being advertised along with all the other smartphones. Big ads for iPhone 5 and gs3 and NOTHING for Z10.....

I kept flipping through the flyer and found it on the back page. Someone shopping for a new smartphone will probably stop at the smartphone section.

Kind of annoyed at this. What's the deal?

Who knows. I hear lots of raves from Canadians, about the devices, the sales numbers, and the marketing.

But this week, they may be conserving their advertising spending for the USA. US television advertising started a few days ago, it appears. And they have to beat all the new products to the punch, ASAP. Samsung just unveiled their new generation device 2 days ago.
    03-16-13 11:03 AM
    Poor guys. No fat advertising budget? Or a very poor PR and Marketing Dept?
    03-16-13 11:05 AM
    I saw the same flyer. It's better to have a good size ad, alone on the back cover than to be buried amongst 4/5 other phones on an inside page.
    Also, this was Futureshop's flyer not paid for by BlackBerry.
    I wouldn't worry about it. We are about to see a great deal more advertising here in Canada via the US launch. Be prepared

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 11:15 AM
    OP, I noticed this back page advertising too..

Backpage advertising can be good, because if you think of it, someone who is only glancing at the flyer may look only at the front page and the back page.. but this is still no excuse to completely leave out the phone from the smartphone section..

It should have been in both..

I was logging onto the forums today to bring up advertising.. has anyone else noticed that while carrier advertising in Canada has been fair.. I see Bell Z10 commercials, Rogers commercials where the Z10 is highlighted at the end of the ad and numerous bus ads, etc.. I don't see any Blackberry commercials anymore..

There was the first Keep Moving commercial and since we haven't seen anything else new..

What gives?
    03-16-13 11:18 AM
    Cleverly placed.

It's on the hot deals page. Not cluttered in with other phones where it'll be competing for you attention.

Also,

The futureshop.ca website has it on the front page, again getting your attention first.

Posted from the CB App on my White Zed 10
    03-16-13 11:21 AM
    Don't read too much into it - retailers need to start moving some GS3 inventory in anticipation of GS4. Notice that on the Best Buy page with the GS3 deal, even the GS2 is advertised right under it. Best Buy doesn't need to make a huge ad every week for the Z10 if it's already selling well.
    03-16-13 11:24 AM
    I still see quite a fair bit of advertising from carriers and saw the keep moving commercial a little bit less but I also watched a lot of recorded TV and may of just fast forwarded right through them.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 11:24 AM
    Also, take note that it's in the flyer at all. It's not "on sale" like the iPhone and GS3 are. Usually the weekly flyers advertise deals, not simply what they carry.
    03-16-13 11:28 AM
    Exactly - the flyer is a way for them to highlight models they need to move in particular. If they have a bunch of LGs and Galaxy S2's sitting on the shelves, they can put out a "special" that week to get the customers' attention.
    03-16-13 11:31 AM
    The back page is almost like the front page.. it's a "Cover" page that always stands out. When you set flyers on the table it's 50/50 it lands face up on either side. This morning the only reason I noticed it was because I saw the back cover. Do not underestimate the back cover lol.
    03-16-13 11:39 AM
    I'd bet big Bucks that Blackberry paid to have it on the back cove page. My company does the same thing when we advertise and it's a premium spot to be on. At least with a news paper anyways and I don't see much of a difference between the 2
    03-16-13 12:10 PM
    I think back page advertising is a smart move may be there is a reason for it. From what I see BBRY is doing a great job in advertising the reincarnation of the brand.
    03-16-13 12:18 PM
    Back Page advertising is often more desirable than other pages in the middle of mqgs or flyers. Also, you're kidding yourself if you think bb is not paying for carrier ads promoting z10.
    03-16-13 12:29 PM
    Outside back cover and inside front cover are the 2 most desired spots. After that is any spot that stands out physically or within the design of the media.
    03-16-13 12:31 PM
    OP, I noticed this back page advertising too..

Backpage advertising can be good, because if you think of it, someone who is only glancing at the flyer may look only at the front page and the back page.. but this is still no excuse to completely leave out the phone from the smartphone section..

It should have been in both..

I was logging onto the forums today to bring up advertising.. has anyone else noticed that while carrier advertising in Canada has been fair.. I see Bell Z10 commercials, Rogers commercials where the Z10 is highlighted at the end of the ad and numerous bus ads, etc.. I don't see any Blackberry commercials anymore..

There was the first Keep Moving commercial and since we haven't seen anything else new..

What gives?
    The key difference between how Bell advertises the BlackBerry Z10 compared to Rogers is simply the BlackBerry Z10 is mentioned at the outset of the Bell advertisement while Rogers waits until the final few seconds to name the device. In my opinion, the Bell advertising beats their competitors in this regard. "It's not you. It's your network". Classic.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-16-13 01:14 PM
    I was very happy to see a full page ad on the last page of the Money section of yesterday's USA Today.
    R Field likes this.
    03-16-13 01:42 PM
    I was very happy to see a full page ad on the last page of the Money section of yesterday's USA Today.
    Now that would be a LARGE ad, as that's a full-size newspaper.
    03-16-13 03:52 PM
    Still see the ads on my youtube feed Google in subway ads and on TV for Toronto sports events but yeah they're probably waiting for ads at the US launch. One thing I don't like is some of the carriers pages don't really prominently display it.

CB10- z10
    03-16-13 03:57 PM