View Poll Results: Did a software wipe/update effect the reboots?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a wipe fixed the issue (partly?)

3 3.33%
  • Yes, a update fixed the issue (partly?)

10 11.11%
  • No, none of the above changed the issue

56 62.22%
  • A software update made it worse

11 12.22%
  • Other, please state!

10 11.11%
    im having random reboots withing 2 days regularly and earlier before wipe was daily... i tried to watch around and i noticed after keeping eye on the information about the hardware of the device in the settings that when you freshly reboot the device the free memory is 1.4 GB without any app opened out of total device 2 GB memory and with time during day this keeps going down even when u close all your apps until in the end it gets to 700 MB with no apps opened where i think the device reboots itself to free the memory.

I think there is something working in the device software which is occupying the memory all the time till it gets low without any usage then device restarts to clear it back.
    05-26-13 01:48 AM

I think there is something working in the device software which is occupying the memory all the time till it gets low without any usage then device restarts to clear it back.
    I'm on T-Mo (usa) and restarts have been infrequent, though I also agree, when I get one it may be doing it to clear memory. I'll keep an eye on it.

The other thing -- and what's frustrating is people seldom post their carrier -- is that I believe T-Mo and Rogers (for example) have the same basic frequencies and they seem to share the distinction of having v. low reboot rates. FWIW.
    05-26-13 04:43 AM
    No reboots yet, since updating to 10.1.0.2342.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:24 AM
    I'm on T-Mo (usa) and restarts have been infrequent, though I also agree, when I get one it may be doing it to clear memory. I'll keep an eye on it.

The other thing -- and what's frustrating is people seldom post their carrier -- is that I believe T-Mo and Rogers (for example) have the same basic frequencies and they seem to share the distinction of having v. low reboot rates. FWIW.
    Tmo =/= Rogers frequencies.

Rogers uses comparable frequencies to AT&T here in the US.

Canadian carriers comparable to Tmo are Wind, Mobilicity, and Videotron.

~STV
    05-26-13 08:26 AM
    If your Z10 still reboots after OS 2009 exchange it.

OS version 2009 or higher is supposed to fix this.

Tim

Posted using a Z10
    05-26-13 08:36 AM

Tim

Posted using a Z10
    And you know this for certain, how?

(Not trying to make that sound rude just genuinely curious.)

And what are we supposed to tell our carriers that think their coming 10.1 official is "the fix" and refuse to exchange until that happens and we still have the issue?

~STV
    05-26-13 09:09 AM
    Empirical evidence thus far shows it to be the case.

As ever, YMMV...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:14 AM
    Empirical evidence thus far shows it to be the case.

As ever, YMMV...

Posted via CB10
    While that may be true, there is no proof or way of knowing (as far as I'm aware) that "the second" cause of the device-initiated, "random" reboots is based on defective hardware and therefore we should start asking for exchanges. It may be...it may be not.

How do you know the "second issue" doesn't have a software fix coming in another leaked OS soon to pop up?

~STV
    05-26-13 09:18 AM
    I deleted all of the apps that came pre installed on my phone and knock on wood no reboots in two days even over night on the charger. I always keep 1 app open so I know if it reboots when I'm not looking.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:26 AM
    My Z10, device, went 1 or 2 times reboot to several times overnight and day time reboot. Blackberry support tells me this issue is resolved when I have contacted Rogers, they tell me upgrade OS will be released. I am struggling for one week between Blackberry support and Rogers.Very disappointed.
    05-26-13 09:57 AM
    Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.1762

Never, ever, had a sudden reboot

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:04 AM
    While that may be true, there is no proof or way of knowing (as far as I'm aware) that "the second" cause of the device-initiated, "random" reboots is based on defective hardware and therefore we should start asking for exchanges. It may be...it may be not.

How do you know the "second issue" doesn't have a software fix coming in another leaked OS soon to pop up?

~STV
    I don't really care, mate. I'm just being honest, not disingenuous. I'm not drawn to conjecture.

If there's a fix, I try it. I did and have just reported that it worked for me.

I'd exchange my phone if I had good reason. I simply see no need in my present circumstances.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:12 AM

Several people still posted about having self-reboots after loading that version.

Recently leaked OS versions from 10.1.0.1916 and up have gotten various reports of improvement in that area, but Blackberry has NOT made any official announcements about that yet.
    05-26-13 11:21 AM
    Several people still posted about having self-reboots after loading that version.

Recently leaked OS versions from 10.1.0.1916 and up have gotten various reports of improvement in that area, but Blackberry has NOT made any official announcements about that yet.
    This is why I am prompting Trsbb for more information on his statement of if this didn't fix it for you nothing but an exchange will.

Wasn't questioning you, gen accident.

~STV
    05-26-13 11:31 AM
    im having random reboots withing 2 days regularly and earlier before wipe was daily... i tried to watch around and i noticed after keeping eye on the information about the hardware of the device in the settings that when you freshly reboot the device the free memory is 1.4 GB without any app opened out of total device 2 GB memory and with time during day this keeps going down even when u close all your apps until in the end it gets to 700 MB with no apps opened where i think the device reboots itself to free the memory.

Tarek (and others): I have been monitoring the memory on my -- basically -- restart-free phone (t-mo usa) and though the memory starts up at 1.4 GB after I manually restart the phone, no matter what I do (play games, text, email etc.) I can't get the memory to drop below 1GB. And just maybe this is why my phone isn't a "restarter".
    05-26-13 11:34 AM
    Tarek (and others): I have been monitoring the memory on my -- basically -- restart-free phone (t-mo usa) and though the memory starts up at 1.4 GB after I manually restart the phone, no matter what I do (play games, text, email etc.) I can't get the memory to drop below 1GB. And just maybe this is why my phone isn't a "restarter".
    What OS?

~STV
    05-26-13 11:35 AM
    What OS?

~STV
    I'm on the stock t-mo OS: 10.0.10.85

and... BTW, just checked memory and -- by sitting around -- it's back up to 1.1 GB from 1GB.
    Last edited by scrannel; 05-26-13 at 01:38 PM.
    05-26-13 12:35 PM
    No reboots on the latest leak for me. Looks promising.

Via Zeppelin 10
    05-27-13 12:26 PM
    Where is the "I HAVEN'T HAD ANY RANDOM REBOOTS AT ALL" option?

I'm feeling left out because I haven't had any random reboots since I got my Z10 in early February, this includes both before and after the 10.1 software update.

What option should I choose in this poll?
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 05-27-13 at 01:25 PM. Reason: clarify
    05-27-13 01:22 PM
    Where is the "I HAVEN'T HAD ANY RANDOM REBOOTS AT ALL" option?

I'm feeling left out because I haven't had any random reboots since I got my Z10 in early February, this includes both before and after the 10.1 software update.

What option should I choose in this poll?
    Isn't there an ignore the post option?

Via Zeppelin 10
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-27-13 02:03 PM
    No reboots since may 22 at 644am. Day I started to charge phone via USB only. STL100-3. With latest official updates. Prior to this I was getting 2 reboots a day at any given time.
    05-27-13 05:18 PM
    No reboots yet, since updating to 10.1.0.2342.

Posted via CB10
    Same here, over 50 hours without a reboot now. New record!
    Omnitech likes this.
    05-27-13 06:12 PM
    Same here, over 50 hours without a reboot now. New record!
    same here.... about the same ET.
    h20work likes this.
    05-27-13 07:51 PM
    I had a few random reboots when I first bought the device. Nothing hugely noticeable but when I wake up I would notice it had rebooted over night and ONCE it rebooted through the day and I ended up looking over at it and seeing the loading screen.
    Since 10.0 figured itself out eventually and I don't recall it doing it towards the end of 10.0 and since 10.1 it hasn't reboot on me ever. Last boot time as of right now was May 27th so just over 3 weeks running time (reason for last reboot was actually a battery swap so it could have been longer). Additional information below - hope it helps. Anything not listed is probably default or not used.

STL100-3
    Rogers Network
    10.1.0.273 (OTA from carrier)
    64GB SD card
    3594 songs (17.4 GB)
    ~1600 pictures many with geotag (1.2 GB)
    ~50 videos (1.3 GB)
    Search history turned off and indexing turned off for all files, audio, video and pictures
    Media sharing off for all types
    BB Protect enabled
    BB Link Remote sync disabled
    85 installed apps + 6 side loaded (12.9 GB)
    Hub: 2 email accounts, facebook, twitter, linkedin, foursquare
    Battery life: 20-30 hours
    NFC always on, bluetooth and wifi intermittently on and off as needed
    BB Link used frequently for sync and backup
    06-18-13 07:33 AM
49 12