At a conference in 2006, President Clinton gave Shai Agassi, founder of Better Place, some advice on pricing for market disruption:

��By the time you will convince the rich folks in Israel to try it, then get the average folks in Israel to try it, then bring it to the U.S. for our rich folks � the world will run out of time. You need to price your car so that an average Joe would prefer it over the kind of cars they buy today � an 8-year-old used gasoline car, selling for less than $3,000. As a matter of fact, if you can give away your car for free, that�s a sure way to succeed.�

Pricing for market disruption is very different than pricing for a few early adopters. You have to plan your pricing from the target customer�s perspective, within the boundaries of your costs.�

Wise words that BB could have heeded for the Z10.
    02-28-13 11:04 AM
    Except it's doing just fine though. The end.
    02-28-13 11:11 AM
    Yup, it's just hauling in those refugees from android and apple, isn't it? I think you missed the point of the comment.
    02-28-13 11:23 AM
    In Canada I don't think there is any significant price difference between the Z10 and any other current smart phone. The last time I looked, on contract was $139 with Bell, $149 with Rogers. Some phones one or two generations old are now free on contract, but the next cheapest smart phone is probably $99.
    02-28-13 11:36 AM
    What's wrong the Z10 pricing? I think it's price accordingly for a device that isn't manufactured in China like Android and Apple devices are.
    knighty2112 likes this.
    02-28-13 11:41 AM
    The unlocked pricing in the UAE (on some deal websites) already dropped from 2799 Dirhams to 2379 within a few weeks and funnily the deal website still doesn't seem to sell many. From 30 devices for sale only 27% sold in 3 days.... makes you wonder. Shop Online for Electronics, Phones, Computers, Clothing, Shoes & moreDeal Of the Day

Sorry: AED 3.67 = $ 1 US so: from $763 to $648 price drop.
    02-28-13 12:35 PM
    The unlocked pricing in the UAE (on some deal websites) already dropped from 2799 Dirhams to 2379 within a few weeks and funnily the deal website still doesn't seem to sell many. From 30 devices for sale only 27% sold in 3 days.... makes you wonder. Shop Online for Electronics, Phones, Computers, Clothing, Shoes & moreDeal Of the Day

Sorry: AED 3.67 = $ 1 US so: from $763 to $648 price drop.
    It was never officially priced at 2799. It entered the market at 2599, unlocked whether you bought it from the carriers or the retailers.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 01:56 PM
    when i got my Z10 on a 3 year contract, it was $40 cheaper than iphone. off contract it is still $100-150 cheaper than iphone
    knighty2112 likes this.
    02-28-13 02:22 PM
    It was never officially priced at 2799. It entered the market at 2599, unlocked whether you bought it from the carriers or the retailers.

Posted via CB10
    And the official price is still 2599 no drops.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-13 02:25 PM
    Yes, you are right, official price was and is 2599.

The second point I was trying to make is that even for the nice discount of 2399 it's not selling. And I wonder why. I hope the device is selling good in the shops still.
    02-28-13 04:12 PM
    I think a lot of posters missed entirely the point of my original posting. It was to provide one successful businessman's point of view on how to succeed with a new product in a tough market, ie. achieve 'market disruption'. And what he said is to price your product so it attracts a lot of interest. I suggest that the Z10 doesn't quite fulfill the good businessman's criteria for achieving 'market disruption'. It is, instead, priced to match devices that have already demonstrated their market chops, something Z10 has yet to do. And that is the problem I was alluding to in my OP. Only time will tell if BB's pricing strategy is successful. But to those posters (especially the author of this bizarre statement: "What's wrong the Z10 pricing? I think it's price [sic] accordingly for a device that isn't manufactured in China like Android and Apple devices are."), who seem to think BB is on the right track by matching the competition on price (except in India, where it is actually the price leader, apparently), all I can say is that you are evidently not in the marketing business. And being 'early adopters', as I suspect most of you are, you are perhaps not best positioned to evaluate marketing strategies for the masses.
    02-28-13 05:13 PM
    I think a lot of posters missed entirely the point of my original posting. It was to provide one successful businessman's point of view on how to succeed with a new product in a tough market, ie. achieve 'market disruption'. And what he said is to price your product so it attracts a lot of interest. I suggest that the Z10 doesn't quite fulfill the good businessman's criteria for achieving 'market disruption'. It is, instead, priced to match devices that have already demonstrated their market chops, something Z10 has yet to do. And that is the problem I was alluding to in my OP. Only time will tell if BB's pricing strategy is successful. But to those posters (especially the author of this bizarre statement: "What's wrong the Z10 pricing? I think it's price [sic] accordingly for a device that isn't manufactured in China like Android and Apple devices are."), who seem to think BB is on the right track by matching the competition on price (except in India, where it is actually the price leader, apparently), all I can say is that you are evidently not in the marketing business. And being 'early adopters', as I suspect most of you are, you are perhaps not best positioned to evaluate marketing strategies for the masses.
    We're part of those masses and marketing for the masses isn't going to work if it doesn't listen to the masses. Early adoption doesn't discount us because these aren't beta devices.
    03-01-13 12:04 AM
    I understand what you're saying but I think BlackBerry isn't looking to price at a loss for now amd wait for more people. I think right now they need maximum profit asap. So they are headed in the right direction for that.
    03-01-13 01:03 AM