Telus Mobility, Z10, 10.1.0.1720.

Today, for the second time since upgrading to 10.1, it feels like my Z10's radio stopped working. There are no notifications on the screen, the 4gLTE indicator still indicates good signal (although I don't remember if it fluctuated now!)

BUT... emails don't get sent (forever stuck in the sending icon), outgoing phone calls fail (call cannot be completed popup), incoming phone calls go directly to voicemail.

I only noticed this as I sent an email and was stuck sending, then I made a few failed phone calls. Only a reboot fixed it, and afterwards my BBMs and emails started flowing again from 30mins+, so my phone was unreachable for at least 30mins with absolutely no indication.

I tried to go into the Help app to make a Report but the app wouldn't open, stuck on the rotating wheel for over a minute.

Anyone else seen this before?
    07-07-13 05:45 PM
    Indeed, I have.

I am required to be on-call 24/7, and missed an urgent call the other night. I was awoken by loud rapping at the door because my colleague had to send her husband over to my house in the rain, when she couldn't reach me by phone. My Z10 said no radio service. It was fully charged. I have used Blackberry exclusively for the last 8 years, and have never this problem.

I've had the Z10 for a few weeks now, it's a STL 100-3 with10.1.0.273 on Bell Mobility, radio version 10.1.0.1721

That's a lot of numbers, ya? Thank goodness for multi-tasking so I could whip back and forth between this post and my settings screen. And thank goodness for BBM, set now with a very loud and long notification to wake me if the phone doesn't work. (I do love this thing, but I need it to be reliable as a means to reach me day or night.)

Anyone else with this problem? Any solutions, ideas?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 08:10 PM
    I've had this issue a few times, I just put it in airplane mode, and then back; this usually fixes things.

Posted via CB10
    winter wren likes this.
    07-07-13 08:14 PM
    Thanks, Bowlegz

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 09:08 PM
    Same has happened to me a few times. Im on Koodo(Telus). Kind of annoying really. I also have to reboot to get it to work. Maybe that is the new reboot.. This way it forces you to reboot instead of randomly doint it itself....
    07-07-13 09:20 PM
    BBM, set now with a very loud and long notification to wake me if the phone doesn't work. (I do love this thing, but I need it to be reliable as a means to reach me day or night.)
    So WiFi connectivity still works? Both times I've encountered this I was away from any of my normal WiFi hotspots so nothing worked, BBM or otherwise.

Thanks for the tip Bowlegz...

The issue is that you never know when this "bug" might pop up, only until you go to send a message, make a call, or simply wonder "Hmm... this is a long time without a notification."
    07-08-13 01:36 AM
    I've experienced this problem as well. A red X shows up in the top right hand corner and I can't make calls or use any data functions. I was hoping that 10.1 would fix this but it still occurs every so often. A reboot usually fixes it but I have also left it alone and eventually it fixes. It's annoying. Hopefully there's a fix on the way.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 01:40 PM
    Weird how threads come in twos and threes.. I just responded yesterday to one like this. Mine does the same. I notice texts and bbms not going out and phone calls don't come in. Airplane mode on and off solves it though.

Shouldn't even happen but it may have something to do with wifi being on. Just a guess!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 02:25 PM
    Airplane mode and back works...

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 03:18 PM
    Happened to me again today.... no idea why.. Wifi was off too.. Ill try the airplane mode trick the next time. grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    07-11-13 04:13 PM
    I get this problem too, but only when I'm in areas where i cant get good reception like inside buildings or underground for an extended time. When I go back up or outside again there is no signal unless I do the airplane mode thing or shut off signal them restart.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 06:05 PM
    Man, as soon as I wrote that last post I pressed send and about a minute later my network went to a red X in front of me. Im downtown toronto and driving queen street.. seriously think there's a bug now that I see others having the same issue

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 07:14 PM
    Perhaps using the engineering screen will provide a clue. It sounds more like the network hears you, but you are not recognized.

Going in and out of airplane mode forces the phone to register with the network. You could probably just turn the mobile network connection off then on. That would take wifi and bt out of the picture and localize the problem to the mobile network.

I haven't had this problem. Well not yet....

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 11:12 AM
    It may also happen when there is a dead zone in the mobile network... there maybe some issues in the handover from one BTS to another...
    I experienced the same issue with 1720 as well as 4537.

Posted via the awesome z10 using CB10
    07-12-13 12:45 PM
    Neaargh. It happened again today. And it's inside Toronto City Hall's council chambers, great cell signal for all carriers. I sent a message and it didn't go through. Airplane mode only made the phone stick in SOS mode but connected to Telus. Only a reboot fixed it.
    07-17-13 01:38 AM