- CrackBerry Newbie
- 5 Posts
Z10 personal experience after 1 week...
Just a quick personal review of BB OS 10 and the Z10…
No doubting that there are some good features if you are a “social” user but as a business user there is a lot of functionality that has been dropped to the detriment of the phone and my ability to function efficiently... just wondering if my problems are shared by other users and if anyone has some work-arounds or advice to help me get back to full efficiency... if not this package has to go...
Examples of stuff that is really frustrating…
- no more Send Business Card function in Contacts and you can’t copy the phone number from View… you have to Edit the Contact then copy the number and then find the contact to whom you want to send it so you can put a text message or email together to send the number… really poor
- email used to be automatically deleted from my BB Torch once I had downloaded from the server to my laptop… this doesn't happen anymore and I can't find a switch to make it so... which means every day I therefore have to manually delete all emails received on the Z10, and I average 100 plus emails per day...
- email is not copied to me (on my Torch I had it set up to do this automatically and I can't find a way to do this on the Z10) so unless I add myself onto every email I send, which is a pain, I don't get copied in
- BB Roaming not available anymore (which used to cost me £20/month with no download limits) and only 4 days into this overseas trip I have already received a notification that I have spent £35 on data download and that data download will stop at 50mb… I have not used the phone in any way other than I used to... I don't surf, just email... so this looks like it may be limiting… plus there is no notification of how much data I have used nor how much is left before I reach my limit... the notification only shows money spent... which is no help at all...
- No more speed dial buttons, so for those people I call most regularly I have to go to Contacts, then Search then Dial… again, really poor and wastes a lot of time… I even have to do this for Voicemail !
These is just a few experiences so far… there are other issues like the phone going landscape when it shouldn’t… and sometimes “hanging” when I then can’t use it unless I power down and start again…
Ok, two reasons I’m sharing all of this with you… first I want to “warn” other potential Z10 users of some of the flaws I've found… second, my business functionality has dropped significantly and I just don’t think I can live with this phone/package... so you may want to consider that before taking up the Z10…
I’m guessing the Q10 with a keyboard MAY be better (e.g. speed dial?) but if it uses the same OS perhaps not… certainly there is no guarantee and having spent a full 8 hours getting the Z10 "work" I don't want to take that chance...
So, when I return from this trip I’m going back an alternative BB phone on the older technology/tariff…
Really, really disappointed... BB OS 10 and Z10 combination just doesn't work for me...
Last edited by Paultgsd; 02-13-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Typing errors
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-12-2013, 09:00 PM #2
- 478 Posts
I'm sure valid issues....all software though so I am hopeful I don't end up feeling like I have stepped back. I am a power user of most productivity functions.
One question though....why would you want to delete all your emails off the berry daily? I enjoy carrying many months of mail....very useful to search.
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-12-2013, 09:00 PM #3
- 201 Posts
- Ask me
There is speed dial. Open the call screen and go to the contacts tab. Touch a contact which will expand the phone number. Hold the phone number and that should give you an option to add to speed dial. That contact will now appear as a thumbnail at the top of your call list.
Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
- 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM #4
You want to share a contact, hold down on the contact and share it to bbm, email, etc.
Sends the Vcard.
No BIS, but there are other ways to deal with your mail issues. Just search.
Did you not setup speed dial buttons? So easy. Search the help and see. Wow. Did you really use your device before you wrote this?
There is a voicemail speed dial button.
Do you even have a Z10?
Mine never hangs, never has an issue that affects it's operation.
Read the manual man. There is one.
Whomever reads this guys post please ignore that silly productivity thing. I own a business that relies on communication and am better at my job and deal with email etc better than with my 9900.
- 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM #5
Voicemail works like before by pressing the "1" key. It even has the "voicemail/tape/recording" icon on the "1" key.First a Storm 2, then a Torch 9800, now a Z10 and Playbook 16g
"You can only do great things a few times on a few products"--- Tim Cook
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM #6
- 5,072 Posts
The missing features indicates a disconnect between the UX development team and the people whom will ultimately use BlackBerry 10. You can't tell me with the additional year of time that the developer's had to work on "getting it right" they decided to sit around waiting for the underlying operating system to be competed before they could begin application development. This would be tantamount to corporate malfeasance. Why are there so many rough-edges and unfinished functionality that we grew to take for granted with the < cough, cough > legacy platform known as BlackBerry OS 5/6/7? BlackBerry cannot afford a repeat of the BlackBerry PlayBook.
I have been enjoying my BlackBerry Z10 despite the waning productivity due to excessively exploring my device. BlackBerry should have released a 100-page user guide to unveil all the hidden features and capabilities. On that positive note, BlackBerry your work is far from finished - get to it!
- CrackBerry User
02-12-2013, 09:53 PM #8
- 41 Posts
1. Send Business Card function
Open Contacts > press and hold on selected contact > once the right side menu appears select the person icon with the share symbol (V).
2. Email used to be automatically deleted
The new BB device is designed to stay in sync with the Desktop client. Technically what happened on the old devices was seen by many as a flaw in the system. Please keep in mind that you still have the Keep Messages type option (default 30 days). Also depending on what type of email setup you have it will alter the experience (e.g. If you are on Office 365 or hosted Exchange you get full wireless sync of Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Memo\Notes. Using POP3 will provide a poor experience on any modern device)
3. BlackBerry Roaming
You can now disable data roaming and use the device on Wi-Fi only. You can even use the device without a SIM if required.
4.. No more speed dial buttons
I'm not sure if it’s on your firmware build but on my "Calls" screen I have speed dial buttons at the top (a.k.a Favourites). Just press and hold on a contact and when the side menu appears select the star button. The Q10 will have traditional speed dials.
- CrackBerry Newbie
02-12-2013, 10:34 PM #9
- 9 Posts
thanks for the help on speed dial numbers and sending contact info. I read someone say they need to have 100 page user guide, I totally agree, I have tried watching a few of the videos in the help area but they just don't cut it for me. Is there actually an online manual anywhere? It seems like even the Crackberry team are learning on the fly, judging from the video this morning I watched where they found out how to use the back button by sliding it.
- CrackBerry Master
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM #11
- 1,010 Posts
They did the right thing release a diet experience so user can familarize understand the ux.Later than drop the power user options later no one will be overwhlemed then.Previous Os had been built over for years.You cant compare it to current OS which frankly a the minute only needs power options and people are set ,but we know complaints of confused will come out after updates.
1 post troll??
- 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM #12Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
- 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM #18
I absolutely do. What manners did I miss out on?
Sure, smart a$$ comment? Yup. Not trying to be ignorant, but as I said before, when a simple search will produce the answers, it gets frustrating to have people making claims that aren't true. All of his points were wrong. All of them. He didn't ask if things could be done, he stated that they couldn't, and then said....
"Ok, two reasons I’m sharing all of this with you… first I want to “warn” other potential Z10 users of some of the flaws I've found… second, my business functionality has dropped significantly and I just don’t think I can live with this phone/package... so you may want to consider that before taking up the Z10"
Had he asked if things could be done instead of labeling them as flaws, my tone would have been different.
If I forgot to say "please and thank you" somewhere, then my apologies, but my point was valid.
WHY NOT GOOGLE YOUR QUESTIONS FIRST?
When my kids stand in front of me and ask me a question as they hold their smart phone with a good data plan on it, I look at them and say the same thing....."Is Google broken on your device?"
Is that somehow without manners?
If so, please let me know how.
- CrackBerry Newbie
- 5 Posts
Thanks to all of you who offered positive input and help guys... my original post was a cry for help borne out of deep frustration... there are plenty of BB users on the forum that hate the new stuff RIM have put out and they're asking lots of questions, just like me... but the post obviously upset some of you... so, thanks also to those of you who thought some comments were unnecessarily abrupt and commented to that effect... I felt the same... I posted in good faith... and because I thought the forum was meant for us to help each other rather than make negative comments about contributors, but hey, no matter...
If I wasted any ones time I apologise...
Last edited by Paultgsd; 02-18-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Rectified some typo's
- By Topher227 in forum Apple iPhone/iPadReplies: 10Last Post: 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM
- By fiftyone in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
- By lepermime in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630Replies: 1Last Post: 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
- By Majuro15 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 1Last Post: 07-05-2009, 10:06 AM
- By petelajr in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 1Last Post: 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM