Has the Z10 got OMAP5 chip in it? In the Bentley QNX concept car video they used the OMAP5 .
    01-10-13 04:11 PM
    no its omap4 and a snapdragon unless they pull a huge switcharoo somehow
    01-10-13 04:20 PM
    Just like howarmat said, not in the first phones.

BUT... wouldn't it be interesting if OMAP 5 made it into, say, an updated PlayBook?
    01-10-13 04:29 PM
    Cheers thanks for that. Would be pretty amazing if they managed that switch

Re the Playbook, it would be very good, considering how many cameras and displays etc that OMAP5 chip supports.

01-10-13 04:30 PM

BUT... wouldn't it be interesting if OMAP 5 made it into, say, an updated PlayBook?
    I dream of that lol.

My PlayBooks screen is cracked so I'm hoping RIM just may shed some light on a updated PlayBook before I decide to fix this screen
    01-10-13 06:17 PM
    Odds are that we never see an OMAP5 in a bb10 device since TI seems to be getting out of the SoC game, the real question is who else is going to get a chance alongside qualcomm as you would have to assume they would not want to be dependent on only a single supplier if they could avoid it.
    01-10-13 06:40 PM

OMAP is dead though. TI announced they aren't in the Mobile phone biz anymore. A sad day indeed.
    01-10-13 08:46 PM
    TI just dropped the baseband side of the business from my understanding. OMAP is still alive. And if a company wants to use it in their mobile devices. They can. But it's geared towards more than just mobile devices. Targeted towards a wide array of embedded systems.
    01-10-13 10:28 PM
    hmmm embedded systems like QNX, and by extrapolation....BB10, or 11, or.....in the future....its all fun to speculate, isn't it?
    01-11-13 02:09 AM
    I'd love for them to use the OMAP5 and be the first phone launched to use it. It is probably the most advanced chip architecture out there. We also know the QNX Bentley is using the OMAP5 in the center display, so RIM/QNX already knows how to use the chip, and it is a pin-for-pin replacement of the OMAP4 and backwards compatible on the software. That said, it would require a separate cellular modem chip as TI does not implement the baseband processing on the chip, and Qualcomm does with the S4 line. However, they are using OMAP4470 in the DevAlphaB, and using the separate chip, so I still don't rule it out as a possibility and RIM surprising us by using this chip, but I'm not sure if it is likely, especially for the LTE markets. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a Z10 with the OMAP5430, but won't be disappointed with either the 4470 or the Qualcomm S4. Maybe the Aristo or next Tablet will use the OMAP5 if the Z doesn't.
    01-11-13 10:14 AM
    Well the twitter leak guy said RIM were making tweaks under the hood of Z10 considering TI was used in the bentley concept car You can say they have been working with RIM/QNX for months.

RIM already has that paratek antenna capability so are set there.I think z10 has omap 5,.Thor talked about partnering and bentley car imho was the hint of whats to come it summed up all the partnership talk he was saying.

Rim were also looking to hire 60 people and were interviewing personel released from TI as it made cut backs.

I really think we have omap5 tech under the hood the bentley car was enough hint for me.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 01-11-13 at 08:38 PM.
    01-11-13 07:44 PM
    really hoping for an OMAP 5 chip here. the qnx car already has it, why not the z10 and x10? the alpha B already has the omap 4470 (highest of the omap 4 generation), it'd be a little disappointing if paying customers don't get anything better than that.

perhaps RIM will use a paratek chip? do they make chips? i'm honestly not sure what that company does. anyone shed some light on them?
    01-11-13 08:24 PM
    really hoping for an OMAP 5 chip here. the qnx car already has it, why not the z10 and x10? the alpha B already has the omap 4470 (highest of the omap 4 generation), it'd be a little disappointing if paying customers don't get anything better than that.

perhaps RIM will use a paratek chip? do they make chips? i'm honestly not sure what that company does. anyone shed some light on them?
    Paratek :: Iconic Handsets, No Compromises

They are owned by RIM now. The specs of this would be absolutely immense if it has omap 5 inside.

Paratek has top standard antennas and has top notch battery saving capability.
    Qnx beast at multtasking and processing again battery saver ,add qnx acoustic team that has HD dual voice capability as seen in porcshe ,bentley,and bbm voice.
    If you add an omap 5 into this concuction than this phones specs are insane.These are the real specs not mass produced phones that get a free os that is not optimized for that device.

It's gotta have that omap 5 just would be the icing on the cake for me.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-11-13 08:54 PM
    Well the twitter leak guy said RIM were making tweaks under the hood of Z10 considering TI was used in the bentley concept car You can say they have been working with RIM/QNX for months.

RIM already has that paratek antenna capability so are set there.I think z10 has omap 5,.Thor talked about partnering and bentley car imho was the hint of whats to come it summed up all the partnership talk he was saying.
    If you mean that guy on twitter who was claiming to have loads of insider info, he was clearly full of it, hardware was finalised a while ago and the idea that the paratek stuff would help in the slightest way with the ti stuff needing a radio is completely wrong.

The l-series is s4 where it has lte support or is an omap4 for the hspa+ only model.
    01-12-13 07:30 AM
    If you mean that guy on twitter who was claiming to have loads of insider info, he was clearly full of it, hardware was finalised a while ago and the idea that the paratek stuff would help in the slightest way with the ti stuff needing a radio is completely wrong.

The l-series is s4 where it has lte support or is an omap4 for the hspa+ only model.
    OF course paratek will help omap chips it will lessen the workrate of overall hardware especially on tehradio front.Paratek tech also helps in conserving battery so its not just an antenna it does more.

Omap 4 is what everyone is saying just like they were all saying 1 gig ram then we got official bump of 2gig.Unless you work for Rim your info means nothing I just would'nt take all leaks as truths.
    01-12-13 08:16 AM
    OF course paratek will help omap chips it will lessen the workrate of overall hardware especially on tehradio front.Paratek tech also helps in conserving battery so its not just an antenna it does more.

Omap 4 is what everyone is saying just like they were all saying 1 gig ram then we got official bump of 2gig.Unless you work for Rim your info means nothing I just would'nt take all leaks as truths.
    I honestly think you are confused about the stuff that paratek does, they are not a wireless radio chip which is the main thing that omap is lacking.

The omap5 would make zero sense over the omap4 if you consider the market that phone is targeted at, countries with no LTE plans for some time and in that case they would logically not want to pay noticeably more for a processor that was not required.
    01-12-13 01:55 PM
    I honestly think you are confused about the stuff that paratek does, they are not a wireless radio chip which is the main thing that omap is lacking.

The omap5 would make zero sense over the omap4 if you consider the market that phone is targeted at, countries with no LTE plans for some time and in that case they would logically not want to pay noticeably more for a processor that was not required.
    For higher end device though an OMAP5 can deliver the same performance as an OMAP4 while using 60% less power, which would make it a great chip for to last all day.
    01-12-13 02:41 PM