Hi guys,

I have a blackberry z10. I have been trying to solve this issue for 3 months and it's killing me. I am willing to donate a few dollars to anyone who can help solve this issue.

MODEL: Blackberry Z10 (STL100-2)

Issues: - Z10 will not charge on power outlet.
    - Z10 will not be recognized when plugged into computer.
    - Z10 Has corrupt os, wont start up (yellow caution triangle).

Q). What happens when plugged in?
    A). Red light blinks, black and white blackberry logo shows up, then yellow triangle shows up with this: bberror.com/BB10-0015

* So cant connect to pc, can access phone, cant charge via phone (using external charging method, so have 2x full batteries).

Things I have tried:

- Resoldering microusb port
    - Checking for any damaged / loose connectors
    - Tried formatting software (but cant because of connection issues)
    - Tried using blackberry link, reinstalling, updating,
    - Installing com port drivers, installing blackberry usb and modem drivers
    - Removing old blackerry desktop manager and drivers,
    - Battery pulling, hard reset, connecting z10 (with no battery), then adding battery in.
    - External charging batteries to make sure they are not dud, replacing batteries
    - Tried different usb cables, 3 different computers, 20 different usb ports.
    - Tried installing link on other computers (windows 7)
    - Tried using AUTOLOADER, but because cant recognize to pc, does nothing!
    - FINALLY, took to 3x hardware professional, who checked and said they are pretty sure its not hardware, but have no idea what the issue is, probably software.

CONCLUSION:
    I have spent 3 months and over $100 trying to repair this phone to no luck. I have tried everything above and probably some other things i forgot to mention. Even if it is not worth repairing, it would mean so much to at least find the cause of the issue, if anyone can help me find out a resolution, you would be my hero...LITERALLY!

PS: My main issue is getting the phone recognized by computer, then i can reload software, etc. <<<

Thank you in advance to all who contribute, this will help many people I hope!
    Last edited by SniffleZ; 09-16-14 at 12:09 PM.
    Mr KLScott likes this.
    09-16-14 11:57 AM
    Did the phone EVER work? Did you buy it as used and damaged? Or was it your phone and new???
    09-16-14 12:03 PM
    Did the phone EVER work? Did you buy it as used and damaged? Or was it your phone and new???
    Yes, the phone was bought as new, the issues started happening on the original os, when it was in warranty. But like usual blackberry support said it was my carriers issue, my carrier said it was blackberry. We went back and fourth until conveniently I was out of warranty.

Also to confirm, up until recently the software was functional, i upgrade to 10.2 and thats when it failed, but the port issues were around since the near beginning.
    09-16-14 12:08 PM
    I had that one on my old Z10 when I failed an OS install than to Windows giving me a BSOD mid-upgrade. As I recall, I didn't need the computer to recognize that the phone was connected. If I'm not misremembrificating, I believe that I started the autoloader, plugged the phone into the computer, then kept rebooting the phone using the lock button hold down until the computer latched on and turned the LED green. I thought for sure I was screwed, but I know I got it to work eventually.

You could also try hooking it up to the computer without the battery in it. You should get a no battery icon instead of the triangle. Start the autoloader and once it's trying to connect, stick the battery back in. I've had some luck before that way too.

I hope one of these works for you
    FF22 likes this.
    09-16-14 12:48 PM
    I had that one on my old Z10 when I failed an OS install than to Windows giving me a BSOD mid-upgrade. As I recall, I didn't need the computer to recognize that the phone was connected. If I'm not misremembrificating, I believe that I started the autoloader, plugged the phone into the computer, then kept rebooting the phone using the lock button hold down until the computer latched on and turned the LED green. I thought for sure I was screwed, but I know I got it to work eventually.

You could also try hooking it up to the computer without the battery in it. You should get a no battery icon instead of the triangle. Start the autoloader and once it's trying to connect, stick the battery back in. I've had some luck before that way too.

I hope one of these works for you
    I tried that with the official rim auto bootloader, to no avail, do you have another bootloader you could recommend?
    09-16-14 01:03 PM
    Assume you have read this: KB34545-BlackBerry 10 smartphone will not startup and displays an image with a link to www.bberror.com

So far as warranty goes, your original seller (reseller) has to make good on the warranty, and once you file something in writiing (w/a date) you should be fine. Where are you and who is your carrier?
    09-16-14 01:30 PM
    Assume you have read this: KB34545-BlackBerry 10 smartphone will not startup and displays an image with a link to www.bberror.com

So far as warranty goes, your original seller (reseller) has to make good on the warranty, and once you file something in writiing (w/a date) you should be fine. Where are you and who is your carrier?

Yes i read that, just to inform you guys (if it helps). The os issue happened after the usb connection issues were already happening. So I don't think the os malfunction is stopping it from connecting, i may be wrong.

I am in australia, the carrier is / was optus. So they have to honour it, even though its been out of warranty for more than a year? Like i said, these issues (apart from os malfunction were present during warranty period).

Regards,
    09-16-14 02:49 PM
    Unfortunately, I recently got rid of all of my Z10 autoloaders because I currently own a Z30 and my old Z10 is gone. I remember something about certain OS versions being better for recovery than others, but I'd have to dig up so info on that. You could try searching the forums in the mean time.

The only tips I can offer at this point would be:
    • Make sure you're using USB 2 and not 3. There seem to be fewer issues overall with USB 2 connections
    • remove Link (and Desktop Manager if you have it installed), reboot, install the freshest version of Link from the website, reboot
    • find an OS leak that is known/believed to be a goodie for debricking (again, search the forums)
    • temporarily disable any kind of firewall software you have running. I've had Norton block an install before (disconnect yourself from the internet if you're concerned about security risks while your firewall is off)
    • seriously work on timing of device reboots vs running the autoloader. There is typically a very small window of opportunity to get a malfunctioning phone to connect its bootloader to the computer. Don't get discouraged. I had to mess around a LOT before I got the two talking again (I had that twisted up knot in my stomach feeling the whole time thinking my Berry was dead for good)
      • if you can, with a charging cord plugged in, hold down the lock button until the screen cycles though everything and you're left with nothing but a pulsating red or amber light (depends on which OS you had installed at brick time). This should be at least 30 seconds (but could be closer to 1 minute) if it works for you. This will make your phone as OFF as it gets. If you can achieve this, try starting the autoloader with the phone connected to the computer and then hit the lock button to start the boot process. I've had some success with catching the bootloader this way in the past

I'll keep looking

Good luck
    09-16-14 04:26 PM
    It would really depend on your country's warranty law. But if it failed during the initial 12 months (usual period) and you called inquired about it, then you should get satisfaction. That is you SHOULD - now whether you do is an open question. Some places the warranty is even longer. And in some places you might have coverage if you used a credit card to purchase it.

Good luck
    09-16-14 04:34 PM
    Unfortunately, I recently got rid of all of my Z10 autoloaders because I currently own a Z30 and my old Z10 is gone. I remember something about certain OS versions being better for recovery than others, but I'd have to dig up so info on that. You could try searching the forums in the mean time.

The only tips I can offer at this point would be:
    • Make sure you're using USB 2 and not 3. There seem to be fewer issues overall with USB 2 connections
    • remove Link (and Desktop Manager if you have it installed), reboot, install the freshest version of Link from the website, reboot
    • find an OS leak that is known/believed to be a goodie for debricking (again, search the forums)
    • temporarily disable any kind of firewall software you have running. I've had Norton block an install before (disconnect yourself from the internet if you're concerned about security risks while your firewall is off)
    • seriously work on timing of device reboots vs running the autoloader. There is typically a very small window of opportunity to get a malfunctioning phone to connect its bootloader to the computer. Don't get discouraged. I had to mess around a LOT before I got the two talking again (I had that twisted up knot in my stomach feeling the whole time thinking my Berry was dead for good)
      • if you can, with a charging cord plugged in, hold down the lock button until the screen cycles though everything and you're left with nothing but a pulsating red or amber light (depends on which OS you had installed at brick time). This should be at least 30 seconds (but could be closer to 1 minute) if it works for you. This will make your phone as OFF as it gets. If you can achieve this, try starting the autoloader with the phone connected to the computer and then hit the lock button to start the boot process. I've had some success with catching the bootloader this way in the past

I'll keep looking

Good luck
    I will try my timing with the current auto loader i have. If you could find one that you know it worked with, that would be awesome. I am aware of the usb 3.0 issues, thanks for the tip. Thanks guys for all the help, keep it coming, I want to nail this son of a stitch!

PS: how is the z30 in comparison to z10? (just out of curiosity as a last resort).

It would really depend on your country's warranty law. But if it failed during the initial 12 months (usual period) and you called inquired about it, then you should get satisfaction. That is you SHOULD - now whether you do is an open question. Some places the warranty is even longer. And in some places you might have coverage if you used a credit card to purchase it
    Thanks, ill give consumer affairs a call as well and see my options!
    Mr KLScott likes this.
    09-16-14 05:29 PM
    The only thing I miss about the Z10 vs the Z30 is the form factor. I wish I could stand my Z30 on its edge like the Z10. Everything else about the Z30 is better.

As for which version autoloader I used, I believe it was from the 10.2.1.1925 time frame. There might have been a release like 10.2.1.18xx or something like that. It's been a long time now, sorry. I wouldn't try recovery with the 10.3.0.x leaks because I had a hard time getting them to connect to the boot loader on a fully functional phone, but if you DO get your phone working, I would definitely upgrade before starting the arduous task of reinstalling all of your programs
    09-17-14 12:17 PM