Hello !

I have recently bought a new laptop and my Z10 is unfortunately not detected on my computer. The problem is not the wire as I have tried two different types. Even when I activate wifi, I'm not able to detect it. It's a big problem as I have all my music on my Z10. I have tried to install / uninstall blackberry link but no effect. Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks !
    01-16-14 01:32 PM
    Hello !

I have recently bought a new laptop and my Z10 is unfortunately not detected on my computer. The problem is not the wire as I have tried two different types. Even when I activate wifi, I'm not able to detect it. It's a big problem as I have all my music on my Z10. I have tried to install / uninstall blackberry link but no effect. Do you have any ideas ?

If you cable your z10 into your laptop the first thing you should see is the Windows 7 O.S. giving you a message that it is connecting to the phone. If it does not, then something is wrong with the communication to and from the USB port that you are using. In the past, I have had problems with laptops reading a newly connected device in an often utilized USB port. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. What I found was that connecting to a second, not often used, USB port does the trick. Most laptops have more than one USB port. Try them all and if you are lucky, one will work!

Thanks !
    01-16-14 01:38 PM
    has your laptop got usb 2 or 3 ports
    their has been threads regarding usb 3 ports not compatible with link
    try using a usb 2 port
    01-16-14 01:38 PM
    Hello !

Thanks !
    Use the cable that came with it and try another port. Also make sure your phones settings are right.
    01-16-14 01:39 PM
    I have only 2 usb ports and they are usb 3. I have tried both, same story. Btw the laptop is a Dell xps 13".
    01-16-14 02:21 PM
    I have only 2 usb ports and they are usb 3. I have tried both, same story. Btw the laptop is a Dell xps 13".
    That is interesting. Your laptop might be too new to work since both ports are USB3. I had a similar problem, although not with a USB port when I bought a new Gateway tower about 2 years ago. The computer would not load and use Turbo Tax and nothing that Turbo's experts could do would change that. The next year, however, it worked perfectly. Go figure. You may need to attach the phone to a computer that has older ports. Do you know anybody with such to try? Don't worry about installing Link software, the Windows 7 O.S. should recognize the phone the minute you plug it into a USB port and install a driver to access its memory. If it will not do that, something is wrong with the USB cable (not likely since you tried two) or the phone.
    01-16-14 02:30 PM
    One more thing, ... I also had a problem with my brand new Gateway not allowing iTunes to recognize and use the optical drive to burn CD's created from my library. I spent hours on the phone with Apple's engineers and, once again, to no avail. Eventually, I found the problem was a driver that needed updating which was identified by a third party software product known as Driver Detective. I bought Driver Detective purely by accident and ran it. It scanned my brand new machine and identified a new driver that was available. That actually did the trick for the iTunes problem. Who would have thought that could be the case on a new machine? Point being, there might be a newer driver for your USB ports that solves this problem.

Just a thought.
    01-16-14 02:38 PM
    Well I have installed BB Link and nothing changed. I have also checked latest drivers updates on Dell website and I have the newest. And other problem I have not an sd card slot which could allow me to just plug my card and add / remove music.
    01-16-14 02:59 PM
    Well I have installed BB Link and nothing changed. I have also checked latest drivers updates on Dell website and I have the newest. And other problem I have not an sd card slot which could allow me to just plug my card and add / remove music.
    01-16-14 03:03 PM
    The last problem is the easiest. Get a Micro SD card reader that plugs into a USB port. Widely available for a few dollars on the net. On the first issue, don't trust Dell to tell you that you have the newest driver. The drivers come from the mother board manufacturers' firmware suppliers. Dell might not even know about a new driver yet. I found the same from Gateway when I had my problems. Good luck.
    01-16-14 03:07 PM
    Some new laptops have USB ports that can charge devices at a faster rate. The user has an option of enabling/disabling this option via mother board or supplied manufacturer software.

If this option is enabled, your PC will not be able to read the data from the blackberry.

I would look for that, might be called USB power boost or charge+

Posted via CB10
    Mozdony likes this.
    01-16-14 03:13 PM
    I also had one more thought, the cable for the Blackberry may not be compatible with a USB 3 port. I know that you said you tried two cables but was one of them specifically for a newer USB3 port? That might be your problem or the mother board setting listed in the other post below my last post.
    01-16-14 03:26 PM
    By the way, if you are going to purchase a USB card reader it too must be USB 3 compliant.
    Let us know if any of these suggestions solve you connectivity problem. I do not have any USB 3 ports on my computers so I cannot comment further.
    01-16-14 04:09 PM
    I have ordered a Kingston FCR-HS3 card reader which is supposed to be designed for usb 3. I will keep you inform. However, I hope Blackberry is aware about this issue. All new laptops are released with usb 3...
    01-18-14 10:29 AM
    I have ordered a Kingston FCR-HS3 card reader which is supposed to be designed for usb 3. I will keep you inform. However, I hope Blackberry is aware about this issue. All new laptops are released with usb 3...
    I hope that works for you. Let us know if a USB3 cable allows your laptop to read the phone. That would be useful information for the community. Thanks in advance.
    01-18-14 11:40 AM
    Unfortunately the cable cannot be connected to the Z10 as the connector is not the same. However, the kingstom tool works well if you want to directly copy music into your sd card.
    01-27-14 03:54 PM
    Check Settings > Storage and Access > USB Connection under the Access to Storage tab. I've had to change it from auto detect to windows for it to recognize.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-14 06:20 PM