I think nfcring is shipping, I suspect some might have been beta testers. I don't have a huge need for security on my phone but the NFC ring seems the best and most convenient way to unlock my phone.

I have a couple of stickers on the inside of my office door to change profiles and use them daily. My concern is that as low power and permanent as NFC is, if you use it to unlock your phone and for whatever reason it goes south, my biggest fear is being locked out of my own phone. Does anyone know if its a security unlock on the NFC ring or can I program a password into it so that if the NFC portion gets lost/fails I would still be able to unlock the phone.

Thanks
    03-04-14 07:58 AM
    No personal experience, but from all I've read, the password would still be an option, and the ring an automatic sign on. Only possibility of complete failure, would be your memory.
    03-04-14 08:14 AM
    thanks for the reply, if this is the case I might look into it more. I'm kinda surprised that this has not taken off more for enterprise ( and I did NOT get in on the kickstarter campaign and have ZERO interest in NFCRings).

Then again I might just put a NFC tag on the outside of my wallet to get the same thing ( I rarely need to unlock my phone sans pants)
    03-04-14 08:28 AM
    The NFC ring is open source afaik so let's hope someone makes an app for it. I'm not sure it's possible to write an NFC tag so it locks/unlocks a BB10 device, but it's definitely possible to let a tag invoke an app. So a 3rd party lock app might be a solution. (all speculation)

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 08:16 PM
    Haven't tried any NFC android apps, so I wouldn't know if they work. If so, I wouldn't worry about native ring support.
    03-10-14 12:31 AM
    I think it would be great to program a tag to unlock my device. I wish this was baked into the native 'Smart tag' app.

I just got some smart tags today. They are easy to program. I hope for more options in the future.

Too bad I can't get an NFC tattoo to unlock my phone. I'd get one on the palm of my hand....or on my arm...

anyway...

C0015B221 All about making Wine kits.
    03-17-14 07:53 PM
    I think it would be great to program a tag to unlock my device. I wish this was baked into the native 'Smart tag' app.

I just got some smart tags today. They are easy to program. I hope for more options in the future.

Too bad I can't get an NFC tattoo to unlock my phone. I'd get one on the palm of my hand....or on my arm...

anyway...

Maybe Fingerprint scanner in the next phone LOL. Someone can steal your tag, finget, kinda complicated.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 07:58 PM
    I would keep the tag on me or at home by the chair I normally sit in. Like stated above it could be stuck to my wallet.
    yes they could steal the wallet buy then I have bigger problems.

03-18-14 07:49 AM
    Any update on this? Rings are back in stock in US and I'm thinking of buying one...

http://americas.nfcring.com/

patmur2010 via BlackBerry Passport
    10-30-14 06:52 PM