I was about to get the Z10, but the uncertainty around the company's future over the last few weeks has made me think.

Yes I know if BB goes belly up tomorrow my Z10 would still work, but let's face it developers are already thinking twice about the platform. Obviously I am not an app junky since my top phone choices run on BB10 and WP8, but a few quality apps make any phone better. And I know about sideloading, but my experience with a playbook made me realize that these can be iffy. I hope the updated player rectifies the android issues, but BB has been known to talk sh!t sometimes so I won't count on a great android player until I see it.

WP8 seems to resemble BB10 in that once people play with it for a few days or a week, many seem to love it. I am sure I would like either, but I would like to have one that I could love for a year or two, and if BB goes down or nothing new is developed for the Z10, that might be a tall order.

So aside from the Hub, what esle would you rank as better on the Z10.

Thanks.
    09-12-13 02:43 AM
    The VKB on the Z10 is really good. I've owned a few windows phones (lumia 710, dell venue pro, lumia 521) and although the wp VKB is pretty good, the gestures on the the z10's VKB make it really efficient. Also, IE on wp8 doesn't have a forward navigation button.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 03:08 AM
    Right, I read that the VKB kicks on the Z10. I have a bold 9900 for work, so work emails are typed on that, meaning the VKB is not a make or break factor, but it's a good point to remember.

The recent Amber update seems to be a good one on WP8. I guess the real question is who will have more forward momentum in inproving the platform.

Thanks.
    09-12-13 03:23 AM
    *Multitasking at its best.
    *Gestures makes it faster to navigate when you get used to.
    *omg! the keyboard.
    *wtf! super fast browser with flash support.
    *great call quality.
    *removable battery.
    *swipe up to unlock, good for peeking messages.
    *and no fingerprint security home button.

With the developers thinking twice thing. EA has released a lot of their popular titles like real racing 3, dead space, the sims, plants vs zombies. Gameloft too like spiderman, asphalt, modern combat, nova 3. Field runners 2 and doodle jump just came out. We're only waiting for temple run and candy crush to join BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 03:23 AM
    I have used a windows phone for 2 years before I came back to blackberry. All I can say is every phone has its advantages and disadvantages, but if you like the ability to load leaked OSs and not wait for carriers to release the update and also enjoy all of your setting and the custom things that you can do with a BB you will regret a Windows Phone once the newness wears off. I will not lie, there are a "few" things I miss.Yes Windows Phones are nice and have alot of money behind them but they can be limited. If you go the WP route for sure pick a Nokia.
    Last edited by sinlessearth; 09-12-13 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added more info
    09-12-13 03:28 AM
    When my contract expired, the free phones offered on my plan were a BlackBerry Z10 and a Nokia Lumia 920. It was an easy choice back than. The Lumia 920 has a lot of interesting features, the main draw being OIS. But the thing felt like a brick.

The Lumia 925 is much nicer than the Lumia 920. BlackBerry's predicament has gotten more dire. The Lumia 925 is the safer bet.

Not sure if I had those two choices which one I would pick if I had to make that decision now.

Posted from my Zed 10
    Last edited by Robin Lim; 09-12-13 at 04:38 AM.
    09-12-13 03:34 AM
    I also came from Windows phone myself, a Lumia as well. The reason why i made the switch to Z10 (which I just got like 4 weeks ago) was because of its lack of a notification centre, quick toggles, oriantation lock, multitasking, lack of ability to manage my multiple email accounts in one place (on Z10 you have the hub, on Android you have a drop down to choose between email accounts), lack of app organisation (folders, the list of apps is a mess to me). The Z10 takes care of those problems for me and more (has Adobe Flash if I need it, the ability to see the time no matter where I am). I also missed the music features on the Lumia when I'm on the Z10. Currently I use both phones cohesively.

The upcoming 8.1 update will add some features such as oriantation lock, slightly improved multitasking (also ability to close a specific app without having to go back to the app again in order to close it), and I believe notification centre too.

I say go to a store and try both phones, and list out what's important to you, what do you want the most like how I lisited mine above. Let me know if you have specific question I might be able to answer.

And to the last poster, on the WP8 IE browser, it's true you don't have a "forward" button and "find on page" button, but there's a workaround, by adding a script to the bookmark for those two functions.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    09-12-13 03:37 AM
    I also came from Windows phone myself, a Lumia as well. The reason why i made the switch to Z10 (which I just got like 4 weeks ago) was because of its lack of a notification centre, quick toggles, oriantation lock, multitasking, lack of ability to manage my multiple email accounts in one place (on Z10 you have the hub, on Android you have a drop down to choose between email accounts), lack of app organisation (folders, the list of apps is a mess to me). The Z10 takes care of those problems for me and more (has Adobe Flash if I need it, the ability to see the time no matter where I am). I also missed the music features on the Lumia when I'm on the Z10. Currently I use both phones cohesively.

The upcoming 8.1 update will add some features such as oriantation lock, slightly improved multitasking (also ability to close a specific app without having to go back to the app again in order to close it), and I believe notification centre too.

I say go to a store and try both phones, and list out what's important to you, what do you want the most like how I lisited mine above. Let me know if you have specific question I might be able to answer.

And to the last poster, on the WP8 IE browser, it's true you don't have a "forward" button and "find on page" button, but there's a workaround, by adding a script to the bookmark for those two functions.
    Hmm agree what you mean. To correct you mean GDR3 which is coming out next month. Wp8.1 is a major update which is rumoured to introduce cortana to WP and putting the windows and windows phone store into one. But I agree both phones are good in their own ways
    09-12-13 04:25 AM
    Z10 is amazing...
    piquepoc and damien kupuku like this.
    09-12-13 04:58 AM
    For me, the Achilles Heel of WP8 is lack of support for CardDAV and CalDAV. That means I cannot sync my iCal account or iCloud Contacts to my Lumia 928. As a life-long Mac user that's a deal breaker. Supposedly WP8.1 will add this functionality to devices that can be upgraded, but we'll have to wait for next year to see for sure.

The cameras on the Lumia line are pretty awesome. WP devices (Nokias at least) are very well made, smooth to operate, and gorgeous pieces of kit. Wireless charging is a slick thing too.

In the end, however, my BlackBerry Z10 suits my needs better. This was not the case until recent OS updates brought improved iCloud syncing and the ability to see saved email older than 90 days. I'm not an app hound, but BlackBerry is even more limited than WP8. What I miss is Chase Mobile Banking and a Starbucks app. Otherwise my Z10 is darn near perfect.
    09-12-13 08:39 AM
    Z10 bro, once you go black you'll never go back!

Posted via CB10 Z10 STL 100-01, OS 10.1 MR, Etisalat, UAE
    damien kupuku likes this.
    09-12-13 08:50 AM
    Just try the Z10 keyboard...no looking back after that!!!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 10:09 AM
    Just try the Z10 keyboard...no looking back after that!!!

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention the gestures. Other phones just feel too cumbersome after using the amazing Z10

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-12-13 10:47 AM
    Good tips, thanks guys. I'll be buying the z10 or 925 off plan as it is a better deal for these particular phones in Dubai, so I don't need to worry about carrier updates. I'm just going for the phone that will keep me happy for 2 years.

Trying them out is obviously a good idea, but you'd be surprised how difficult that can be in Dubai if the phones you want to try are not an android or apple.
    09-12-13 03:12 PM
    Good tips, thanks guys. I'll be buying the z10 or 925 off plan as it is a better deal for these particular phones in Dubai, so I don't need to worry about carrier updates. I'm just going for the phone that will keep me happy for 2 years.

Trying them out is obviously a good idea, but you'd be surprised how difficult that can be in Dubai if the phones you want to try are not an android or apple.

Blackberries are more popular in Dubai than android phones or Iphones. I live there and everyone there holds a BlackBerry and it is easy to try one there.

C001230B6 Join my channel to get new wallpapers for your BB10 device
    09-12-13 04:08 PM
    I sold my 920 and bought the Z10. I just love this BlackBerry! The size and weight of the z10 is so much nicer than the 920 was. I use my phone for work, lots of emails, etc. Call quality is better on the BlackBerry and the keyboard hands down is better. Nothing out there compares to this keyboard. The Nokia was a nice phone and I use windows 8 for most everything work wise, but the BlackBerry seems to complement my windows 8. Laptop and Surface Pro better than the 920 did. Plus and minuses to them all, but I don't think you would regret the Z10 for a minute.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 04:35 PM
    Z10 no question.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 04:42 PM
    I actually see almost no compelling reason to get a WP8 Lumina. They are tanks...heavy as hell, feel funny and are an odd shape. As for the OS, I don't like the tiles. I like the MS support. The app issue is almost as much an problem for them as it is for BB.

Hub, removable battery, Keyboard, activeframes, peek and BBM are my reasons.
    09-12-13 04:46 PM
    I actually see almost no compelling reason to get a WP8 Lumina. They are tanks...heavy as hell, feel funny and are an odd shape. As for the OS, I don't like the tiles. I like the MS support. The app issue is almost as much an problem for them as it is for BB.

Hub, removable battery, Keyboard, activeframes, peek and BBM are my reasons.
    First of all, it's Lumia, not Lumina. Second Windows Phone 8 have more apps than Blackberry10, not only are they big names, popular apps, but they are also made of quality. One thing Windows did so well with the app market is they let users to "try" the paid apps before you buy them.

I would suggest visiting website of both Windows Market and Blackberry World and see if they have the apps you want. I would also check out youtube for any in depth reviews of both phones. There are also side by side comparison videos. Such as
    09-12-13 05:15 PM
    First of all, it's Lumia, not Lumina. Second Windows Phone 8 have more apps than Blackberry10, not only are they big names, popular apps, but they are also made of quality. One thing Windows did so well with the app market is they let users to "try" the paid apps before you buy them.

I would suggest visiting website of both Windows Market and Blackberry World and see if they have the apps you want. I would also check out youtube for any in depth reviews of both phones. There are also side by side comparison videos. Such as
    Cherry pick videos are we?

Both have a decent amount of apps. Difference is BB10 you get BB10 apps and Android apps. Best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 05:19 PM
    The only place where I see the 925 has over the Z10 is in the download speed which in comparisons is 100mb/s versus 20mb/s which they list as "theoretical download speeds. " Of course this will be dependent upon connection strength. The other minor issues are the the battery; 2000 mA-h versus 1800 mA-h. Of course such a slight difference can be overcome with the better battery consumption management in the BlackBerry OS. Z10 has 2GB of ram versus 925's 1GB of ram. Here are some sites which give a side by side comparison.
    http://phonerocket.com/smartphones/N...BlackBerry-Z10
    http://www.knowyourmobile.com/nokia/...okia-lumia-925
    For me the difference is slight so I chose the Z10. Sure I wish the Z10 would have gone with Gorilla Glass but I understand their reasoning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-12-13 05:34 PM
    Cherry pick videos are we?

Both have a decent amount of apps. Difference is BB10 you get BB10 apps and Android apps. Best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    +1

C001230B6 New wallpapers for your BB10 device
    09-12-13 05:47 PM
    My battery life with my 920 was terrible! Could never make it through the the day. I'm running 10.1 and have much better luck with the Z10. As for the apps, im missing the same apps on both platforms, banks. Don't care about many i see people talking about on here. I will say the wp8 apps are nicely polished, but I just find it easier to get things done on the BlackBerry. Z10 has an excellent browser that makes using Mobile sites a breeze when an app is not available.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 05:47 PM
    I think were saying the 925 had better battery life. That being said after the OS update on my Z10 the battery management was a lot better. For myself I just really like the Z10. I like the way it looks, feals and functions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-12-13 06:46 PM
    I'd say the z10

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 06:47 PM
42 12